Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
Wish me luck boys.

{i9 9900K picture}

9900-K-install.jpg
good-luck.gif

Ignoring the messenger (RPS is a muppet run toilet bowl) you can also try this reddit posted fix if you're having CP2077 performance woes:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/12/14/this-cyberpunk-2077-tweak-could-really-help-pc-performance/

Here's the chase, if you want to cut to it:
Hello this is a simple guide created based on u/Thephoneixroyal on reddit to
help you get better performance on older Cpus

Step 1 = Locate your game's main folder
On steam right click on the game and click on properties then go to the Local
Files tab and click on Broswe Local Files

Step 2 = If you are in the main game's Folder you should to see
REDpreLauncher.exe
locate the "Engine" Folder then "Config" and open "memory_pool_budgets.csv"
via notepad or wordpad

Step 3 = Adjust Poolcpu's ammount Based on "Your maximum ram - 4 GB" then
Adjust the PoolGPU's Ammount based on your Maximum Vram Amount.

Example of adjusted File based on 16GB of ram and GTX 1080 =
https://imgur.com/a/PfY4h2l

Vram of Various Graphic Cards

RTX 2080 8GB
RTX 2070 8GB
Amd Radeon VII 16GB
RTX 3080 10GB
and so on

Last edited by a moderator:
Been playing Doom Eternal on Game Pass. Five chapters in and it's great but also it feels like a lot of the new shit was added just for the sake of adding new shit. The between-mission hub area, the platforming segments, upgrades to your upgrades. So much unnecessary bloat. I mean I get that it's a sequel so naturally you feel like you need to go bigger but I'm not sure it's for the best here. Which is a shame because the core combat loop that forces you to string together glory kills while utilizing your chainsaw and flamethrower is so satisfying. But everything surrounding that loop is more disappointing than in it was in the original.

Been playing Doom Eternal on Game Pass. Five chapters in and it's great but also it feels like a lot of the new shit was added just for the sake of adding new shit. The between-mission hub area, the platforming segments, upgrades to your upgrades. So much unnecessary bloat. I mean I get that it's a sequel so naturally you feel like you need to go bigger but I'm not sure it's for the best here. Which is a shame because the core combat loop that forces you to string together glory kills while utilizing your chainsaw and flamethrower is so satisfying. But everything surrounding that loop is more disappointing than in it was in the original.
I think it's a problem with presentation more than anything. Lots of games have tons of shit, but Doom really shoves it in your face with menus and pop-ups and seriously bogs you down with it. The best thing you can do for the game is go into accessibility settings and disable the tutorial pop-ups as soon as possible.

Ignoring the messenger (RPS is a muppet run toilet bowl) you can also try this reddit posted fix if you're having CP2077 performance woes:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/12/14/this-cyberpunk-2077-tweak-could-really-help-pc-performance/

Code:

REDpreLauncher.exe
via notepad or wordpad

RTX 2080 8GB
RTX 2070 8GB
Amd Radeon VII 16GB
RTX 3080 10GB
and so on
Actually, this is a muppet run toilet:

http://www.mainstgazette.com/2017/08/gonzos-royal-flush.html?m=1

I waited and waited on Doom Eternal to hit Game Pass and the best I can say is that I'm glad I waited versus paying money for it.  It's Doom -- I just want to shoot shit.  The game seems to think I want to go through some never ending loop of shooting for a few seconds then chainsawing or punching or flaming so I can earn the privilege of shooting for another couple seconds.  I was very quickly over it.

REDpreLauncher.exe
via notepad or wordpad

RTX 2080 8GB
RTX 2070 8GB
Amd Radeon VII 16GB
RTX 3080 10GB
and so on
Interesting stuff!

Will keep this all in mind, whenever I actually buy Cyberpunk.

I actually saw this also about AMD CPU's, where it's supposedly not even using SMT either:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/kbp0np/cyberpunk_2077_seems_to_ignore_smt_and_mostly/

https://hothardware.com/news/cyberpunk-2077-low-amd-performance-fix

I waited and waited on Doom Eternal to hit Game Pass and the best I can say is that I'm glad I waited versus paying money for it. It's Doom -- I just want to shoot shit. The game seems to think I want to go through some never ending loop of shooting for a few seconds then chainsawing or punching or flaming so I can earn the privilege of shooting for another couple seconds. I was very quickly over it.
lol

That kind of sounds like the combat in Control. Shoot shoot shoot, use your abilities until your gun reloads, shoot shoot shoot.

I waited and waited on Doom Eternal to hit Game Pass and the best I can say is that I'm glad I waited versus paying money for it. It's Doom -- I just want to shoot shit. The game seems to think I want to go through some never ending loop of shooting for a few seconds then chainsawing or punching or flaming so I can earn the privilege of shooting for another couple seconds. I was very quickly over it.
I appreciate this post. Good info for me here. I purchase the Slayer Edition on a digital sale a couple months back, played the og doom and enjoyed it. Played the 2016 doom for maybe two or three levels and was pretty much over it at that point. Now I know Eternal is not in the cards for me. Sounds like more of the same of what I do not enjoy. You saved me a download.

I think it's a problem with presentation more than anything. Lots of games have tons of shit, but Doom really shoves it in your face with menus and pop-ups and seriously bogs you down with it. The best thing you can do for the game is go into accessibility settings and disable the tutorial pop-ups as soon as possible.
The pop ups really are out of control in the first couple chapters. Pop up for each weapon, pop up for each new enemy, pop up for each new gameplay mechanic, pop up for each type of upgrade, pop up for challenges. It's died down considerably now that I'm halfway through.

Although I did remove a bunch of things from the HUD almost immediately because my God do they try and fill the screen with junk.

But the combat loop is just so good. At least as good as 2016. Just finished up the sixth chapter and it keeps getting better.

There were a lot of great games that came out this year like Demon's Souls remake, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Ghosts of Tsushima, Half-Life Alyx, etc.  Unfortunately Phasmophobia also came out this year so none of them had a chance.  

Got the new CPU installed and finally played several hours of CP2077 last night.  I thought it was a lot of fun.  Although it makes me thirst hard for a new GPU I'm pleasantly surprised with how decently its running on my GTX 1080 and current setup.  It's not too different from your average run-of-the-mill 'Open World' game.   But I'm playing it specifically for its cyberpunk skin / veneer.  Actually reading the lore, enjoying the music & sound design, and becoming immersed in the world and its rules.  It's pretty much an on-rails cinematic experience with the main story, coupled with the usual open-world lankmarks objectives on the side. 

So far it's exactly what I expected it would be (not the best game ever) and that's my favorite flavor from the open-world genre.

The monitor finally came today, so I'm setting up the HP Omen stuff I got over Black Friday/Cyber Monday. Probably will fine-tune stuff over the next day or so and start playing some games.  :whee:

[attachment=35082:Omen 01.jpg]

[attachment=35083:Omen 02.jpg]

[attachment=35084:Omen 03.jpg]

HP Omen Obelisk, Intel Core i5 9400F 2.9GHz Processor; NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti 6GB GDDR6; 16GB DDR4-2666 RAM; 512GB SSD

HP Omen 25 Monitor, FHD (1920 x 1080 @ 144 Hz), 1 ms gray to gray, 2 HDMI 1.4; 1 DisplayPort™ 1.2

HP Omen Encoder Keyboard - CHERRY MX Brown mechanical switches, red LED Lighting (no G or B, lol)

HP Omen Reactor Wired Optical-Mechanical Gaming Mouse with RGB Lighting, 16000 DPI maximum, 0.2 ms response time

HP Omen 800 Wired Headset

PC & Monitor came in at just under $1000, with the extras adding another $120 or so. There were nicer versions of pretty much everything, but I stuck to the mid-range options (HP actually has Pavilion gaming stuff, which probably represents the low-range).

Thanks again to those who helped me wade through the sea of tech and specs and get a decent gaming setup for about the same price as the all-in-one non-gaming computers I was considering. You guys are awesome!  :applause:

It's not too different from your average run-of-the-mill 'Open World' game. But I'm playing it specifically for its cyberpunk skin / veneer. Actually reading the lore, enjoying the music & sound design, and becoming immersed in the world and its rules. It's pretty much an on-rails cinematic experience with the main story, coupled with the usual open-world lankmarks objectives on the side.
That's my experience. Ignoring any technical issues, the game itself I would rate about the same as Dragon Age: Inquisition. Not in terms of game mechanics, but both are serviceable and fun games that are worth playing but won't be setting benchmarks on "This is how an RPG should be made".

The world is very well done, I'm generally enjoying the game play, the characters and story are good. In RPG terms, I feel a bit shuttled along and railroaded but if I think of it more as a story-driven open world single player game than "role playing game" then it's good times. Fortunately, I haven't been following the hype train for years and didn't enter with many expectations beyond the world setting and Keanu Reeves.

I think it's fine and playable now (on PC, anyway) or you're safe to wait if you feel like waiting. Time may add some optimization patches but the core game play is what it is and it's not as though they're going to patch in distinct branching story paths for each origin or dramatically change the police AI or otherwise address some of the complaints people have.

For my Cyberpunk 2077 is easily like a 6.5/10 or so. Still buggy at times for me which usually is fixed with a restart of the game. Characters get old with most of them being a little too tryhard IMHO. I don't like them and I'm tired of the story already. I think I have a few more main missions which I may need to finish after Christmas since I'm travelling soon enough. Shooting is decent enough. Skill system is kind of lame in a way. I highly, highly recommend if you play to put some points in engineering I believe and/or the hacking one. Just gives you a lot of freedom that way you wouldn't have otherwise. I usually love cyberpunk things, but for some reason this one is only hitting just a little bit. Just another overhyped game that I bought into, though I usually don't.

Are there any mods out there that put in Fox McCloud?
Theoretically possible, I suppose, but would be quite a feat to disassemble the Nintendo Switch version and frankenstein the Star Fox characters into the PC version (and obviously illegal).

I doubt anyone has tried. I wonder if people have even gotten the Arwing content to unlock running the Switch version in emulators.

Whew, did some side gigs, scored some eddies, bashed some gang skulls, got my street cred up to level 14 and unlocked the ability to buy a sleek new cyberdeck upgrade.

Cyberdeck-upgrade.png

I'm going to be the hottest netrunner in all of Night City.  :cool:

Computer arrived last night w/ my 10700K and RTX 3070. Downloaded Battlefield 5 (Origin) and also installed Control (Epic). Games run smooth as butter. More later tonight on in the next few days, when I throw some stuff at this beast.

Computer arrived last night w/ my 10700K and RTX 3070. Downloaded Battlefield 5 (Origin) and also installed Control (Epic). Games run smooth as butter. More later tonight on in the next few days, when I throw some stuff at this beast.
Congrats on becoming a top .1%'er!

That's my experience. Ignoring any technical issues, the game itself I would rate about the same as Dragon Age: Inquisition. Not in terms of game mechanics, but both are serviceable and fun games that are worth playing but won't be setting benchmarks on "This is how an RPG should be made".

The world is very well done, I'm generally enjoying the game play, the characters and story are good. In RPG terms, I feel a bit shuttled along and railroaded but if I think of it more as a story-driven open world single player game than "role playing game" then it's good times. Fortunately, I haven't been following the hype train for years and didn't enter with many expectations beyond the world setting and Keanu Reeves.

I think it's fine and playable now (on PC, anyway) or you're safe to wait if you feel like waiting. Time may add some optimization patches but the core game play is what it is and it's not as though they're going to patch in distinct branching story paths for each origin or dramatically change the police AI or otherwise address some of the complaints people have.
So far in the early hours, I'm a huge fan of the upgrade and unlock system. Your ability leveling makes sense, with all 12-15 of your ability trees being located under the the six skills that you can spend talent points in. You can be a generalist, or you can specialize in certain areas like say hacking or assault weapons. The (purchasable) cybernetics upgrade choices are interesting as well. I have something to work towards: completing side gigs and gang busts in order to make money for my arm upgrades (mantis legs or gorilla arms) and leg implants (double jump or powered-up jump). I'm not sure how interesting these systems are going to be after the ~40 hour mark. But right now I am really enjoying the options and the upgrade systems. Side quests have never felt more rewarding; they're how you make your money, and you attain perk points and level your skills by leisurely playing the game. Each skill or ability has its own experience accumulation.

I'm really enjoying CP2077 through my first 15 hours.

The other interesting thing is that after this launch fiasco you can absolutely tell that they designed this game for PC first and foremost as the leading platform, with consoles being an afterthought.

Okay so Cyberpunk 2077 decided to bring in more interesting multi part sidequests later on. Bumped my grade a bit to likely 7/10 now. I've had so many random bugs playing from cars randomly exploding, to getting impaled by a random sharp edge on a wall. I will finish the multipart sidequests and the last main missions and be done with this game. It's OK enough and is likely the best cyberpunk game in a while, but it's not amazing me. I'm about a bit over 36 hours in and feel I will get about 10 more hours of good gameplay from it. The driving is improved a lot by getting better vehicles. Still sucks, but I can drive pretty easily in my Taxi now haha.

It's funny when I choke someone out, pick up their body to hide it, lay it down next to a planter or a railing, and then the body explodes and dies from the impact. 

But can it run Crysis load textures without glitching in Cyberpunk 2077?

A mere few hours after announcing that it would be releasing Taiwanese game Devotion (removed from Steam last year after a non-controversy the CCP decided they didn’t like), GOG responded to pressure from “gamers” (read: China) by backpedaling hard and retracting its decision.

Nice moral fiber there, CDPR.

https://mobile.twitter.com/GOGcom/status/1339227388438306817?
Nothing says "Cyberpunk" like bowing to oppressive dictatorships.

Go find people playing CP2077 on consoles and point at them until they get angry!
Oh they're already plenty angry. I personally picked a bad time to say "eh I'll just try this one on console" since it was free to me as bundle-in ..and I'm still waiting for the ability to actually purchase the card I want.

Anyway, at least I know enough about the game to realize that it's not - for me, at least - the hyped generation-defining experience that warrants hardware upgrades.

It's funny when I choke someone out, pick up their body to hide it, lay it down next to a planter or a railing, and then the body explodes and dies from the impact.
So, wait...

Is that a bug? A feature? Or...both?

EDIT:

But can it run Crysis load textures without glitching in Cyberpunk 2077?
Don't know. Ain't bought that game yet.

Anyway, at least I know enough about the game to realize that it's not - for me, at least - the hyped generation-defining experience that warrants hardware upgrades.
Oh, it definitely is not. I'm just amused that, after three decades of sparring and sniping between console and PC owners back and forth over prices, exclusives, technology, ports, best performance per dollar, etc it's "Well, my PC can play Cyberpunk 2077" that has suddenly people clutching their pearls and saying "This time you've gone TOO FAR, sir!"

bread's done
Back