Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
So I've only just started PC gaming, and I'm confused on graphic card specs. I have a Nvidia GeForce GTX 860M in a Lenovo Y50 Touch, and I'm wondering how high quality games I can play. I had trouble playing Guild Wars 2 at the highest resolution, and Sniper Elite 3 is a bit squirrelly as well, but other than that I haven't really pushed my laptop yet. I'm asking because after that earlier comment about Dying Light and laptop graphic cards, I'm just wondering where I should be avoiding because I can't run it.
I'd check benchmarks for some games w/ the 860M here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-800m-graphics-performance,3800.html

Some games they have there w/ benchmarks include: FC3, Metro LL, BF4.

That could give you an idea.

Seriously, though - once your laptop ain't cutting it for you anymore (and with a card like that, that might keep you going for a good bit of time) and you're thinking of playing anything really new on some high-settings, you really should build a desktop PC yourself or get a friend who knows how to build them to help you do so. It's gonna in the long run be WAY cheaper than buying a PC from a local shop (and going w/ a local PC-building shop is normally WAY cheaper + a better deal than buying prefab from a store like BestBuy). You can save lots of $ - if you do your research and just buy the parts you really want as you go along, in any of them sales. Watch TigerDirect, NewEgg, Microcenter, or any of those computer hardware places.

Last edited by a moderator:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-800m-graphics-performance,3800.html

Seriously, though - once your laptop ain't cutting it for you anymore (and with a card like that, that might keep you going for a good bit of time) and you're thinking of playing anything really new on some high-settings, you really should build a desktop PC yourself or get a friend who knows how to build them to help you do so. It's gonna in the long run be WAY cheaper than buying a PC from a local shop (and going w/ a local PC-building shop is normally WAY cheaper + a better deal than buying prefab from a store like BestBuy). You can save lots of $ - if you do your research and just buy the parts you really want as you go along, in any of them sales. Watch TigerDirect, NewEgg, Microcenter, or any of those computer hardware places.
Thanks for letting us know that is cheaper to build a desktop to game than on a laptop. You are extremely helpful and full of insight ;)

If Aspyr's involved then that means there's next to no chance of previous owners getting a discount - or a free upgrade.
That'd be my guess.

Quantic Dream looks to have not much involvement with this themselves.

Atari (original publisher for this) looks to not be involved either.

Aspyr says they did all the technical stuff - with the newer HD textures, higher res support, etc.

don't forget amazon, they usually price match newegg's prices.

So anyone who bit the bullet on the Shadowgate remake early is probably feeling pretty happy right now. The game turned into a +3 thanks to the free MacVenture Deja Vu and Shadowgate that were added yesterday afternoon for previous owners who had the DRM free versions in their install directory. And it turns out they both just got cards too. If you saw those games pop up, get to idling while they're hot. Judging from the amount of complaining on the game's forum, if you don't already have it, you will almost certainly not get the bonus two games when you buy it.

If you're wondering how I know all this, well... you can thank me when it's in next week's Humble Bundle. I love me some Shadowgate.

Edit: Each game also drops all its cards in just about 30 minutes. It's a nice change from the usual two hours.
What does one need to do to get this to kick in? I Kickstarted Shadowgate and have the DRM free installs for the classic games, but nothing new was added to my Steam account..

Re: Dying Light optimization/performance, I can get a fairly constant 50-60 fps at 1080 on a 770 dialing back foliage to medium (who cares, right), shadow mapping to medium, turning off the crappy post processing no one wants (motion blur and depth of field), and setting detail draw distance to 40% or so (fairly pointless to see details on stuff 100 yards away).

There's still a couple of post processing effects I'd like to disable (because they make the game look awful) but I've yet to bother tinkering with the ini.

For those of you who horribly exploited Gamestop, Gat out of Hell finally has its cards.
What friggin' middle school art fair Participation Award winning monkey did they have draw these things?

7egAsxC.png

Re: Dying Light optimization/performance, I can get a fairly constant 50-60 fps at 1080 on a 770 dialing back foliage to medium (who cares, right), shadow mapping to medium, turning off the crappy post processing no one wants (motion blur and depth of field), and setting detail draw distance to 40% or so (fairly pointless to see details on stuff 100 yards away).

There's still a couple of post processing effects I'd like to disable (because they make the game look awful) but I've yet to bother tinkering with the ini.
Did you try moving the slider of the view distance all the way down? You can probably gain another 10-20fps fps and barely noticed the LoD.

Lies, I need to see the bugs on the windows three blocks away!  What I'd really like is some way to disable chromatic aberration... because it looks horrible.

Agree. Alien Isolation has that stupid effect and I disabled it right away. Not sure how it started that trend but every damn indie developer loves using it. I blame Crytek for utilizing that heavily since Crysis 2. I think it was even in Crysis Warhead, I only recall being in some cutscenes.

I talked about this mostly on the Tebow chat but since I'm out of town can't get on there. This whole GTX 970 thing with Nvidia is pissing me off. I both two for SLi and for my three monitors. I have had to overclock my gpus to get the voltage right because of an Nvidia problem. Now I find out my cards aren't 4gb each they are 3.5gb some games will definitely hit the vram wall and crash my system. Really wish I had the money to upgrade to the 980s or AMD had something to make me jump to the red side. (Had to correct this three times stupid autocorrect on my phone)

What does one need to do to get this to kick in? I Kickstarted Shadowgate and have the DRM free installs for the classic games, but nothing new was added to my Steam account..
There was some talk about the special edition not getting the bonus games and that they were looking into it. You'll get them soon, I'm sure.

I bought the remake yesterday and both games are in my account.
That's actually a pretty good reason to get in on that 75% off. You get three games for five bucks. And yes, the new version of Shadowgate has significant differences from the original, definitely enough to count it as a new game.

The best of Dark is the realistic stealth system: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=170520201

There was some talk about the special edition not getting the bonus games and that they were looking into it. You'll get them soon, I'm sure.

That's actually a pretty good reason to get in on that 75% off. You get three games for five bucks. And yes, the new version of Shadowgate has significant differences from the original, definitely enough to count it as a new game.
Can confirm. The re-make is very different. I was actually a bit disappointed by how different it was. I was expecting something that was basically just the original with better graphics and some new rooms/puzzles instead it was pretty much a completely new game.

Can confirm. The re-make is very different. I was actually a bit disappointed by how different it was. I was expecting something that was basically just the original with better graphics and some new rooms/puzzles instead it was pretty much a completely new game.
Do they still sell the original versions of the game?

Ugh, I miss too many bundles.

Countless times I check out games that are recommended here to see they've been bundled 2-5 times and everyone in my FL has it. But, it isn't highlighted on my browser. I'm a terrible CAG.

If anyone has an extra copy of this please hit me up. I've got PP.
The game is Free. The only reason to buy it on Steam, is to support the Awesome Dev.

So I've only just started PC gaming, and I'm confused on graphic card specs. I have a Nvidia GeForce GTX 860M in a Lenovo Y50 Touch, and I'm wondering how high quality games I can play. I had trouble playing Guild Wars 2 at the highest resolution, and Sniper Elite 3 is a bit squirrelly as well, but other than that I haven't really pushed my laptop yet. I'm asking because after that earlier comment about Dying Light and laptop graphic cards, I'm just wondering where I should be avoiding because I can't run it.
You shouldn't need to avoid much of anything. (To remind, I have essentially the same rig as you). You'll be able to play pretty much any game on at least medium settings, and many on high. You should be able to play Guild Wars 2 at close to the highest settings. As someone else mentioned, make sure your control panel settings have everything defaulting to the 860 and not the integrated graphics.

Semi-recent games I've played at high settings (generally, all the way up):

• Bioshock Infinite
  • Arkham City (can even play with physx on if you don't mind a 30-45 framerate)
  • Dishonored
That's what I love about this laptop. I can take my library anywhere and play pretty much anything (and I do most of my gaming away from home). Unless it's a game that has a clear rep for being brutal on systems, buy whatever you want with no hesitation.

You shouldn't need to avoid much of anything. (To remind, I have essentially the same rig as you). You'll be able to play pretty much any game on at least medium settings, and many on high. You should be able to play Guild Wars 2 at close to the highest settings. As someone else mentioned, make sure your control panel settings have everything defaulting to the 860 and not the integrated graphics.

Semi-recent games I've played at high settings (generally, all the way up):

• Bioshock Infinite
  • Arkham City (can even play with physx on if you don't mind a 30-45 framerate)
  • Dishonored
That's what I love about this laptop. I can take my library anywhere and play pretty much anything (and I do most of my gaming away from home). Unless it's a game that has a clear rep for being brutal on systems, buy whatever you want with no hesitation.
Thanks. I'll have to check what the games are defaulting to.

EDIT: Just checked. I was running around 45 FPS on the "Best Appearance" setting in GW2. So, I dunno what was wrong the other day. Resolution was a bit lower than the highest, but I recall it chugging on this same resolution the other day.

Except I just bought it and I only got the new one. Boo phooey.

Because black/dark on dark grey is good!

8OGF8pf.png

So much wasted space too. Or maybe move everything to name bar. (mini-avatar, name, title, trade feedback, etc.).

So much wasted space.

Did they fix tweet embedding?

https://twitter.com/humble/status/560542850975158272

Ack, my eyes.  Anyway, here's a deal for the new site:

290x for $234 shipped

Linked straight to the slickdeals thread because I'm lazy.  This is tempting in light of the recent 970 news, but considering the brand and the heat/noise, imma wait for something better to come along, personally.

Mobile looks exactly the same. Whatevs.

Polite reminder that AMD Never Settle codes are due to expire in two days time and That Thing might happen again.

If you manage to grab one, think of me, please. Please please.

Polite reminder that AMD Never Settle codes are due to expire in two days time and That Thing might happen again.

Didn't they add email / mobile phone confirmation when redeeming keys? Mobile is instant, email takes two days.

Also *hissssssssssssss* at this forum update. Hideous.

I got in on the last glitch (or whatever you'd call it). For reasons which I wont bore you with right now, I left one of the game keys that I got from that unused for 10 weeks after I redeemed my AMD code. When I went to claim the key (which I hadn't bothered to copy down anywhere) I found that they had changed the way that the AMD account page worked. I was first prompted to verify my AMD account by entering a code that they'd text me. Alternately, I could have them send me an email with the code, but there'd be an additional 24 hour wait period if I chose email.

After I verified my account, they wanted me to verify that I actually owned the video card. I either needed to submit a receipt showing that I bought it, or download a program to check if I had the card installed in my computer. Needless to say, that was impossible for me to do. And it wouldn't let me check my key page until I did. Luckily for me though, I remembered that they sent emails verifying redemption of an AMD Never Settle code, and those emails contained all the keys for the games that I chose.

But something had clearly changed with the way that they handle the AMD accounts over the 10 weeks since I had redeemed my code. Even if Newegg has another such fire sale, I'm not sure if anybody would be able to claim their games. That is, unless they actually do have one of the AMD video cards that you need to buy to legitimately take part in the offer.

So you used to be able to click your avatar button in the top right to bring up a menu that lets you access your posts, your followed content, etc etc and now it just logs you out.

Who the fuck thought that would be a good idea?

bread's done
Back