Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
Okay I want Romance of the Three Kingdoms 13 (not to mention I'd me damned Gamersgate copy of 11 to be on Steam please) but 17%? Come on now. I know it's niche and all but it's not a new release.

This kind of chintzery makes me sad Russian pricing is done for us.

So dumb questions number 2,3,4 - The Europa games are basically colonial times and Hearts of Iron is the same thing but during WW2? Is there a certain time limit to the game or can the game go on forever? And also, can you play as any country or is limited to a certain number of selections? Sorry to make the thread all about Paradox games but I'm really interested in these.
Not really.

EUII, III, and IV are iterations of the Europa Universalis series, which are grand strategy games in which you pick one of dozens of European countries and play through roughly the 15th - 19th centuries and all of the real historical events of those time periods. The Hearts of Iron series is more of a conventional wargame, specifically focussed on World War II. The Crusader Kings series is set in the medieval period, and CK II is considered to be one of the easier entry points by most folks, although I'll add that I've spent very little time playing any of these, so I have no real opinion on that. There are probably cheap keys for these floating around (except for the ones zenii is discussing, because they're fairly new), but because Paradox bundles--a lot--you should be able to find people with spare keys for one or more of these for cheap to free.

EDIT: Also lots of people play CKII because there's a popular Game of Thrones mod for that game that lets gamers pretend they're vying for the Iron Throne. Game of Thrones is more popular than Jesus and Mohammad combined at the moment, so if you're curious, the link is here.

Last edited by a moderator:
The story is fantastic, it ties into 999/VLR perfectly and I'd go as far to say it has the best story in the series, but it'll be confusing as fuck for people that haven't played the first two games and won't have as good of an impact. If anyone hasn't played them yet, I'd suggest waiting for them to be ported to steam before playing ZTD.
I'd go a step beyond this and warn that VLR spoils a lot of 999, and ZTD casually drops the ending twist of VLR in the first 15 minutes. It's a series that really does need to be played in order.

I'd go a step beyond this and warn that VLR spoils a lot of 999, and ZTD casually drops the ending twist of VLR in the first 15 minutes. It's a series that really does need to be played in order.
Yeah, I thought that much was obvious, but I guess people do tend to be lazy and want to play the most "current" game without having to play the others first. It's like skipping to the third book in a series, doesn't make much sense.

Huh? Today's the release date for the English PC/PS4 versions.
Is it? I hadn't even realized. The release date doesn't exactly make that clear. Also since when is a new release Midweek Madness?

I guess that explains the price a little better but still too rich for my blood.

*Edit: looks like they didn't make a separate English version this time like they did with Nobunaga which is probably where I got confused. There's still a lot of Chinese, Japanese dirty knees look at these on the page since it's a shared East/West multilanguage release I guess.

Yeah, I thought that much was obvious, but I guess people do tend to be lazy and want to play the most "current" game without having to play the others first. It's like skipping to the third book in a series, doesn't make much sense.
So in a related vein... I bought Witcher 3 during the "sale." I've started Witcher 1 and 2 more than a few times, but never got very far. What would I be missing if I skipped right to Witcher 3 without playing the others? I believe the newest game has improved mechanics, graphics, etc. and the thought of sinking in 100 hours vs. 300 hours if I have to start from 1, is a bit daunting, given how little free time I actually have. Thoughts?

So in a related vein... I bought Witcher 3 during the "sale." I've started Witcher 1 and 2 more than a few times, but never got very far. What would I be missing if I skipped right to Witcher 3 without playing the others? I believe the newest game has improved mechanics, graphics, etc. and the thought of sinking in 100 hours vs. 300 hours if I have to start from 1, is a bit daunting, given how little free time I actually have. Thoughts?
Watch a story recap of Witcher 1, 2 and start playing 3.

Okay I want Romance of the Three Kingdoms 13 (not to mention I'd me damned Gamersgate copy of 11 to be on Steam please) but 17%? Come on now. I know it's niche and all but it's not a new release.

This kind of chintzery makes me sad Russian pricing is done for us.
17% off is the new 33% off.

I lucked out with the GS 50% bonus credit and ended up with a pretty decent amount of games between all the sites running steam game sales this past week. Here's my obligatory haul post:

ARES: Extinction Agenda EX
Akiba's Trip: Undead and Undressed
Amnesia Memories
Angry Video Game Nerd II: ASSimilation
Axiom Verge
Bioshock Infinite Season Pass
Civ 5: Brave New World
Disgaea PC
Fairy Fencer F
Grim Fandango Remastered
Hatoful Boyfriend
Hyperdimension Neptunia U: Action Unleashed
Ikaruga
LiEat
Magical Battle Festa
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
Mighty No. 9
Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight
Prison Architect
Rogue Legacy
Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus
Shadow of Mordor GOTY
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
Shantae: Risky's Revenge
Sonic Lost World
Sonicomi
Spelunky
Stardew Valley
Sunrider Academy
Sunrider: Liberation Day
Tales of Zestiria
The King of Fighters XIII
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
Transistor
Valkyria Chronicles
World End Economica episode.01
World End Economica episode.02

Looks cute, lowest price to date, bonus points for it being Dotemu so Foxhack will have a conniption. SOLD!
Joke's on you! This was developed by Pastagames (the Pix the Cat devs.) I'll happily buy it once it hits a Humble.

Vudu app on Roku has been fucked for a long time. I ended up having to watch Batman Vs Superman on my PS3.

Joke's on you! This was developed by Pastagames (the Pix the Cat devs.) I'll happily buy it once it hits a Humble.
eh I'll probably actually play it so I don't mind.

I absolutely blame Neuro5i5 for that.  If he hadn't gifted Bad Rats to damn near everybody, the sequel may never have gained traction.

Ah, who am I kidding.  fuck ing Bad Rats still has a 75% positive rating thanks to the goddamed idiots who write "funny" steam reviews.

Hasn't it been coming for like ever? I feel like I heard about that damned thing 6 months or more ago.

Also blame Total Biscuit and his pied piper drones.

I'm kind of sick of it at this point. It's been beat to death ala MysterD to the point where it's just not funny or even accurate anymore. It's not 2012 and there's way, WAY more heinous shit on Steam now.

Tired meme is tired.

I absolutely blame Neuro5i5 for that. If he hadn't gifted Bad Rats to damn near everybody, the sequel may never have gained traction.

Ah, who am I kidding. fuck ing Bad Rats still has a 75% positive rating thanks to the goddamed idiots who write "funny" steam reviews.
Neuro5i5, don't let us down!!! We expect our free Bad Rats 2 gifts

So dumb questions number 2,3,4 - The Europa games are basically colonial times and Hearts of Iron is the same thing but during WW2? Is there a certain time limit to the game or can the game go on forever? And also, can you play as any country or is limited to a certain number of selections? Sorry to make the thread all about Paradox games but I'm really interested in these.
Not really.

EUII, III, and IV are iterations of the Europa Universalis series, which are grand strategy games in which you pick one of dozens of European countries and play through roughly the 15th - 19th centuries and all of the real historical events of those time periods. The Hearts of Iron series is more of a conventional wargame, specifically focussed on World War II. The Crusader Kings series is set in the medieval period, and CK II is considered to be one of the easier entry points by most folks, although I'll add that I've spent very little time playing any of these, so I have no real opinion on that. There are probably cheap keys for these floating around (except for the ones zenii is discussing, because they're fairly new), but because Paradox bundles--a lot--you should be able to find people with spare keys for one or more of these for cheap to free.

EDIT: Also lots of people play CKII because there's a popular Game of Thrones mod for that game that lets gamers pretend they're vying for the Iron Throne. Game of Thrones is more popular than Jesus and Mohammad combined at the moment, so if you're curious, the link is here.
Warreni has it spot on, EU is between 1444-1821, Vic2 is 1836-1936, Hearts of Iron is 1936-1948. All these games are moddable, and they all have "extended timeline" mods, if you want to play before or beyond the preset timelines. Several of the games have overhaul mods too, like the GoT for CK2, there's an "Imperium Romanium" mod for EU4 which sets the game in antiquity, and let's you build Rome from a single province into a sprawling empire (or play as Carthage and crush Rome, whatever floats your boat). And yes, you can choose any "country" that existed during the timeline, for example in EU4 there is no Russia, Germany, or Italy at the start of the game but you can form those nations by fulfilling certain criteria (usually conquering the land that historically made up that nation, or being of a certain religion).

On a serious note I still somehow have never received Bad Rats 1 yet so I still don't know exactly what the first game is. The fact they're making a sequel is still hilarious to me.
TL;DR Cartoon Cat Killing Simulator along the lines of Itchy and Scratchy. meh

Is it? I hadn't even realized. The release date doesn't exactly make that clear. Also since when is a new release Midweek Madness?

I guess that explains the price a little better but still too rich for my blood.
I only know cause of the PS4 release. I keep up with Japanese titles more on console, since you don't need 3.5 GB of VRAM to play most of them.

Kotaku had a great article for what you should know before playing Witcher 3, including some stuff from the books, and the first two games.

It's probably one of the only articles they have that I'd recommend, but I digress.

Edit: So you don't have to go search.

To chime in, All the Paradox grand strategy games have different "unique" (for lack of better words) mechanics. In CK II it's the whole family tree and court thing, EU IV's is colonization iirc (kind of hard to pinpoint one for EU) and maybe it's trade mechanics(?), Vicky has that factory thing even I really don't understand (barely played Vicky), and HoI has it's war strategy/tactics stuff and the best research tree of the historical games imo.

Most of them usually have at least one must have DLC, and a few useful DLC, mixed with the gazillion song packs/shields/etc. and poor DLC.

You will miss boobs. Oodles of of them.

Won't miss much from witcher 1 except a few people you encounter in 3 and the conversations will be a little more meaningful if you met them in 1 but not by much. Witcher 2 plays a little more into it but nothing a quick recap can't solve. At the beginning of Witcher 3 you answer a bunch of questions to set up your game if you aren't importing a save from a previous game so from that alone you should get the gist of what's going on.

Wait - There are no boobs in Witcher 3???  WTF?  What good are upgraded graphics if not to render more realistic, bouncy boobs???

Edit:  Isn't the series known for all the womanizing?

Yeah, Stellaris didn't grab me in the same way as some of the others did, I guess as a history nerd there's just something irresistable about recreating or rewriting history. You also end up learning a ton of geography and obscure historical events, which I guess is useful if I'm ever on Jeopardy one day and the question is about which countries had a Habsburg emperor/empress on the throne, or greatest extent of the Mughal Empire.

Oh and bonus pic: One of the great things about their newest game, Hearts of Iron IV (set between 1936-48) is you can play as literally Hitler. (censored in Germany, of course)

literally_hitler.jpg

The fact that I chose to do so doesn't make me a bad person... does it?
Nein!
shaking-head-no-smiley-emoticon.gif

Wait - There are no boobs in Witcher 3??? WTF? What good are upgraded graphics if not to render more realistic, bouncy boobs???

Edit: Isn't the series known for all the womanizing?
There's plenty, don't worry. You can romance half a dozen, not counting the madams' houses.

I got info on it and asked them on Twitter about the Free Freedom Force w/ a 2K Game Purchase....
Direct2Drive's response on the free Freedom Force deal.
....but it looks like the deal's now dead. :(
They are dumbasses for not being clear about that. *Edit: And also for waiting until the next morning when the deal was dead or practically dead to respond.

People like to see what they are getting before they hit pay and if you aren't going to show them that in the damned cart then you need to be absolutely specifically clear about it in no uncertain terms.

Nobody wants to buy something and then have to write support asking where they shit is for a $1.25 game. Ain't nobody got time fo dat.

Just in case anyone ever wanted to play Street Fighter X Tekken, I've made 2 mods/patches (one of them has been around a while).

Online Patch - Fix online, black screen and startup issues
Community Mod Patch - (Offline Play) Remove GFWL, Add PS3 Exclusive Characters & Alternate Costumes
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=649186874

If that doesn't sell you, you can play as Pac-Man :)
Where the heck were you when the sale was going on? I would've bought the game if I'd known about this.

To chime in, All the Paradox grand strategy games have different "unique" (for lack of better words) mechanics. In CK II it's the whole family tree and court thing, EU IV's is colonization iirc (kind of hard to pinpoint one for EU) and maybe it's trade mechanics(?), Vicky has that factory thing even I really don't understand (barely played Vicky), and HoI has it's war strategy/tactics stuff and the best research tree of the historical games imo.

Most of them usually have at least one must have DLC, and a few useful DLC, mixed with the gazillion song packs/shields/etc. and poor DLC.
Just a few things to add also, I feel CK2 is best played like an RPG where you focus on your family line (called dynasty ingame) and plot your way up i.e. marrying your son to that princess of France while murdering her brothers off such that your grandson will eventually end up as heir to the French Throne. Your "country" is less of a concern in this game because you get to "warp" into the next family member (and play whatever he or she has control of) when your current character dies. Of course you can just conquer everything, and it's likely a lot easier too, but it's just not as fun as having your characters literally sleep their way to the throne.

The EU series is just straight up conquest - painting the map via combat with not much to do during peacetime (esp. when the devs go out of the way to hamstring warfare and limit expansion). The combat being the main part of the game is super-simplified. Complexity-wise it is also the easiest game. It may be the most popular, but is imo the weakest of their lineup.

Vicky series, you sorta play the industrialization part of the Industrial age and manage your "POP"s which are these abstracted groups of population that have different needs based on their class/religion/race. Think the "Focus groups" in the Democracy games or your average user research/survey but much more simplified/bigger clusters. There's also a small focus on spreading your nation's or aligning to a "sphere of influence" that you need for the economic part of the game. I find the Vicky series the most polished of their lineup.

HOI series is a more mainstream version of your typical WW2 wargame. It abstracts a lot of the stuffs you usually find in those hardcore wargames (i.e. logistics of ammo/food or troops morale, no planning delay etc.) and as such is a lot more accessible.

If you want a wargame with the realism/details, you're better served with the traditional ones like the Gary Grisbys or other Slitherine offerings (they monopolized the wargame market and hence the genre stagnated..) If you want a casual intro, HOI is not bad for it.

That being said, the latest (HOI4) seemed to have overdone things and oversimplified the game (or more likely they just withheld and cut things out to sell later as expansions/DLCs) and slapped a prettier UI over it. I'll go as far as to say that they're approaching boardgame territory with this iteration's tech tree.

Right now, the best of the series imo is still HOI2 Darkest hour with mods. HOI3 could have been good if they ever bothered to fix the bugs in their supply network system but they never actually did succeed (a pity) HOI4? Like with all recent paradox games, just wait a few years until they have half a dozen expansions/DLCs...

1) Read a wikipedia article on each game for plot summary and/or watch some youtube videos

2) It wouldn't be an extra 200 hours of gameplay, the first game is like 40-50 hours and the second is less than 30. They are good games and worth playing but I felt they both started slow, so if you feel yourself slogging through the opening know it picks up (I did feel both games were somewhat overrated even if i did overall enjoy them though). Unfortunately the games do have an intricate plot and this is a series where your choices actually do matter and have lasting circumstances moreso than probably any other game series I've played, so simply reading an article or watching a video won't give you quite the same experience. That being said if 70-80 hrs is too much to commit to I would probably do what I can to understand the plot/major players in the universe as well as possible before heading into 3. Although for all I know 3 has nothing to do with the first 2 since I haven't played it yet.

3) If you don't have enough time then quit your job/sell your kids/whatever else you need to do to find more time

The bros played Depth tonight.  Had some fun.  Didn't quite have a full house and the game is usually best with one, but JuanJava said it's still fun if you just do the online match making aspect. 

Hopefully it'll get hambled soon and more bros can show up later.  

bread's done
Back