Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
Sweet, I'm gonna go buy an old video card for the free game

which one should I choose? The game, I mean.
The positive is either a potential Newegg glitch, but at the very least, being able to get Dead by Daylight relatively cheap. If I can find people selling off their codes for $5-$10 then I'll probably buy one.

The positive is either a potential Newegg glitch, but at the very least, being able to get Dead by Daylight relatively cheap. If I can find people selling off their codes for $5-$10 then I'll probably buy one.
Yep, same here.

Its funny we were talking about this shit earlier today and the popup with a damn promotion. Its a pretty shit promotion though.

Yep, same here.

Its funny we were talking about this shit earlier today and the popup with a damn promotion. Its a pretty shit promotion though.
Yep, and guys remember, if you are going to buy the 960 get the one with 4GBs of VRAMS! It will definitely come in handy when you are playing some poorly optimized game.

Sweet, I'm gonna go buy an old video card for the free game

which one should I choose? The game, I mean.
Depends on whether you're more of a survival gamer or a shooter fan.

Yep, same here.

Yep. I pretty much literally never buy new video cards, so I have no way of legitimately getting in on one of these, but I'm used to seeing the promos be things like Arkham Knight, Total War: Warhammer, Ashes of the Singularity, et cetera--stuff that typically retails (at the time of promo) for ~$60. These two games are $20 at regular retail.

Depends on whether you're more of a survival gamer or a shooter fan.

Yep. I pretty much literally never buy new video cards, so I have no way of legitimately getting in on one of these, but I'm used to seeing the promos be things like Arkham Knight, Total War: Warhammer, Ashes of the Singularity, et cetera--stuff that typically retails (at the time of promo) for ~$60. These two games are $20 at regular retail.
Sure you do. I think I've bought 90% of the NVidia promotions from these things since Blacklist via someone selling their copy. Its not getting it from a video card purchase (although I did get The Division that way) but its still legitimate. Great way to save huge $$ on new AAA games.

Meh, what can you expect for lower tier last generation cards that will retail for about $100 now? A game worth just as much?
Yea, thats true. It still seems a bit half assed. At any rate if I can get Dead by Daylight for a good price I wont complain.

Yep, and guys remember, if you are going to buy the 960 get the one with 4GBs of VRAMS! It will definitely come in handy when you are playing some poorly optimized game.
That depends on your settings.

If you're going at 1080p at High-to-Ultra on many games (or above), especially the newer stuff - you're going to go over the 2GB VRAM usage range for the 960 - so one might as well go for the 4GB version.

It's honestly worth the few extra bucks so you that have that bigger buffer to handle the extra details you might want to toss at it, if for some reason you're actually going w/ the 960 (with the 1060, 1070, and 1080 now here). That 4GB VRAM total makes a difference on VRAM-eating games (that easily jump over 2GB usage), especially many of the newer ones; and especially the open-world games - Batman AK, Far Cry 4, AC: Syndicate, AC: Unity, Watch Dogs, etc.

But seriously, though...unless you can get a 4GB 960 extremely cheap b/c of some blow-out clearance sale (or any other 900 series card, for that matter) - I think many would be better off with the GTX 1060 or 1070 on the "bang-for-buck" factor (depends if you want to spend $200-250 or $349-430). Or, one could go for a GTX 1080 if you actually got $600-700 to blow (no thanks; WAY too rich for my blood).

EDIT:

Probably lowest I've seen one of those, but I see Microcenter has a 4GB Asus GTX 970 OC for $260 (before rebate) / $230 after rebate: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.aspx?sku=454710&utm_source=EMAIL&utm_medium=eNews%2020160809&utm_content=4986621284&utm_campaign=E3817

Of course, you know - not that great of a buy b/c the 6GB GTX 1060 and 8GB 1070 is here and all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unraveled, Need for Speed, and PvZ GW2 are going to be added to Origin vault this month.  Looks like I will be subscribing soon to play through Unraveled at the very least. 

Hmmmm, I guess if a bro didn't get the second tier of some bundle, they could get a hold of me for Space Engineers or Rust.

edit: No mo Space Engineers, damn that was fast

edit 2: And no mo Rust. I guess this post can be disregarded now.

Any good? Reviews seem mixed. It's even cheaper if you go for the bundle and have the other games. http://store.steampowered.com/bundle/690/ It's showing $5.09 for me.
Damn you... I'm tempted to spend some gabenbucks on it, even though I won't play it before it's in the next Humble Indie Bundle.

I still had the demo (from before it was released... they had some promotion where they lowered the intro price based on how many people played the demo or something) installed and just tried it. Seems fun, if you like extreme stealth games. The time freezing and rewinding mechanic is pretty cool.

Another stupid hardware question--so I really wanted to build a new system, but I saw this on IGN and I'm not sure I could build something like this for $579: i7 6700K, 16 Gb DDR3L RAM, 2Tb HDD, AMD Radeon R9 360 2Gb GDDR5. Thoughts?

Faeria Early Access Pack free:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/397060/

Free until 4pm Pacific on August 10th. Add the game to your account now and keep it forever!
y u so slow?

vpTfLox.png

Another stupid hardware question--so I really wanted to build a new system, but I saw this on IGN and I'm not sure I could build something like this for $579: i7 6700K, 16 Gb DDR3L RAM, 2Tb HDD, AMD Radeon R9 360 2Gb GDDR5. Thoughts?
check the PSU and if the board and case can handle more items i.e. GPU, a SSD / or other hard drive. the 360 GPU is not that great and if it is the Dell, some people have complained about the PSU being off size and not able to fit a different one in the case

pulled from slickdeals posting about the deal:
This is still a good deal considering the hardware. Adding a SSD would be about the extent of upgrades that could (should) be done to this machine.

Once lower-tier video cards start rolling out for the new generation from both AMD and Nvidia, the GPU might be able to get a slight upgrade. You need something that runs at full load in the 85W range and doesn't require a direct PSU connection. With both camps pushing out great performance at low power (compared to previous generations) they should have a fairly decent upgrade to offer at 85W, but reading comparison reviews is the only way to tell for sure. I don't recommend upgrading the GPU at all, but if you must upgrade it, waiting for the current-gen lower-end cards is your best option.

The R9 360 is an OEM card, you can't find one for sale as an aftermarket video card. It's closest relatives are the R7 260X and R7 360, and performance is typically somewhere in between. It is essentially an R7 360 with some of the shaders disabled in order to hit the OEM required 85W for PCIE slot driven power... From what I've seen, it sometimes nudges above the R7 360 in benchmarks (I don't look at benchmarks much because scores too often don't coincide with real-world performance)... I would say you can do some 1080p 60Hz gaming without issue at medium settings. Depends on the game, of course. It is DirectX 12 capable, but that requires Windows 10, and with a video card this low in performance, not sure you would get much difference with DX12 vs DX11 anyway. Most games support both...

The processor and RAM are good/great... No reason to mess with either of them.

The motherboard will be a fickle mess, and should just be left alone along with the case.

The PSU has proprietary connections to the motherboard, and is likely a SFF or custom size... that means replacing it with something decent wouldn't be cheap. Don't replace it unless you have to, and don't stress it by trying to add a GPU it can't handle.

check the PSU and if the board and case can handle more items i.e. GPU, a SSD / or other hard drive. the 360 GPU is not that great and if it is the Dell, some people have complained about the PSU being off size and not able to fit a different one in the case
Yeah, it's a Dell Inspiron. They're not really forthcoming about the size of the PSU or the motherboard. I'm assuming Dell manufactures its own MBs?

You can do better than that. That GPU is blech. If you plan on playing anything modern, get something with at least 4 GB VRAM. For a machine where gaming is your optimal goal, don't skimp on GPU. Obviously if you're playing mostly older games it will matter less. You can get by with 8 GB RAM and invest more in other parts, get a 1 TB HDD instead, etc. There's lots of ways to save, but GPU and CPU are the big pieces that most consideration should be given to.

Go here and play around with the configurator or look at what others have done

With the 10 series Nvidia cards (as well as the AMD 400 series) you'll be able to find very strong 900 series (Nvidia) and 300 series (AMD) cards second hand at extremely good prices. Another good place to look for parts is Reddit Hardware Swap. Its peer to peer, but stick with someone with high feedback and use Paypal and nothing ever to worry about and you can save a shitload. GPUShack is a great place for refurbed GPUs. His stock changes constantly, so even if there's nothing there right now in your price range, its a worthwhile consideration going forward.

Yeah, it's a Dell Inspiron. They're not really forthcoming about the size of the PSU or the motherboard. I'm assuming Dell manufactures its own MBs?
Yea, Dell MOBOs and PSU is all proprietary crap. Stay away. DGMW my first foray back into PC gaming was by upgrading everything I could in an Optiplex 755 back in 2010, but there was only so far I could take it. You're going to run into limitations all over the place when its time to upgrade. Better to spend a little more and have it a little future proof.

The draw there is the chip mostly, but if you are going pre-built I would go with like Lenovo who uses regular cases and PSUs. Check out Newegg they have this:

Lenovo Desktop PC X315 (90B00001US) AMD FX-Series FX-770K (3.50GHz) 12GB DDR3 1TB HDD 128GB SSD Windows 8.1 64-Bit

or

ABS Dreadnought ALA001 Desktop PC AMD FX-Series FX-6300 (3.50 GHz) 8 GB DDR3 1 TB HDD GeForce GTX 750 Ti Windows 10 Home 64-Bit

Both of these are $499.99 and let you see inside the case and would be pretty easily upgradeable. That said, yes the chips aren't as good so there's a reason for the price difference, but if you do go prebuilt, you either need to go with a company that uses regular parts or go with a Dell that already has a beefier GPU in it so the upgrade won't be so hard.

Dell and HP sometimes due jackass shit like use super long and skinny PSUs that you can never find aftermarket or arrange the MOBOs in such a way that you can never fit a full size card. Even in relatively big cases.

The draw there is the chip mostly, but if you are going pre-built I would go with like Lenovo who uses regular cases and PSUs. Check out Newegg they have this:

Lenovo Desktop PC X315 (90B00001US) AMD FX-Series FX-770K (3.50GHz) 12GB DDR3 1TB HDD 128GB SSD Windows 8.1 64-Bit

or

ABS Dreadnought ALA001 Desktop PC AMD FX-Series FX-6300 (3.50 GHz) 8 GB DDR3 1 TB HDD GeForce GTX 750 Ti Windows 10 Home 64-Bit

Both of these are $499.99 and let you see inside the case and would be pretty easily upgradeable. That said, yes the chips aren't as good so there's a reason for the price difference, but if you do go prebuilt, you either need to go with a company that uses regular parts or go with a Dell that already has a beefier GPU in it so the upgrade won't be so hard.

Dell and HP sometimes due jackass shit like use super long and skinny PSUs that you can never find aftermarket or arrange the MOBOs in such a way that you can never fit a full size card. Even in relatively big cases.
Dell's PSU's are literally shaped like an L. Or at least they were back when I had one. It was almost impossible to upgrade unless you went custom which was $100 for a fucking 500w PSU, all because of Dell's nonsense.

Bare minimum prebuilts need to be ATX with the PSU. That thing fries on a proprietary POS, blahhhhhhhhhh

And yeah, I had to go low profile with the GPU on that Dell. Good machine to learn on and decide what I want, but I knew I was upgrading sooner rather than later once I learned the differences.

Hm. Should have been closer to $199, but you're right--it's a big difference for $60.
Anatech's review on the GTX 1060 is worth checking out.

From their conclusion page:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10540/the-geforce-gtx-1060-founders-edition-asus-strix-review/18

Looking at generational comparisons then, of all of the Pascal cards launched so far, GTX 1060 offers the best performance gains for a single generation.

Relative to GTX 960 it offers an 85% performance improvement at 1080p, and even excluding the outliers this is still an 80% gain. This isn’t quite a 2x performance gain in a single generation, but it is close, and closer than either GTX 1070 or GTX 1080 got.

So for current GTX 960 owners, the GTX 1060 offers a tantalizing performance upgrade right off the bat, and for the older GTX 760 and GTX 660 cards the differences are even greater, never mind the newer features NVIDIA has introduced since Kepler.

Thanks for the tips. I'll just wait and grab parts as I can. I have a build at PCPartpicker but it's about $900!
This is the patrician's method of PC building. Just buy parts as you can and watch a stack of gaudy decorated cardboard boxes accumulate in your closet until you're ready to slap it all together.

Or MysterD could sell you his for $100.
6GB GTX 1060 would still be a way better buy at $260.

EDIT:

This is the patrician's method of PC building. Just buy parts as you can and watch a stack of gaudy decorated cardboard boxes accumulate in your closet until you're ready to slap it all together.
That's how I built my PC back in 2011. I began in Jan 2011 w/ starting to buy parts and eventually had finally all of the PC parts in May 2011 (right before Witcher 2's release).

Could a Tremor Bro do me a favour. If Savage Lands is in stock at the Tremor Store in some weird Euro time and you have enough coins, could you grab me a copy. I'll pay you back with a game of the same coin value. 

bread's done
Back