Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
They assume that if x amount of people buy a game at a reduced price from some cross-region trader that those people would be willing to pay full cost. I'm guessing the vast majority of people that will stop wasting money on cheap games (that they don't even play but buy simply because they are cheap) will end up outweighing the few people that were willing to buy a game at full cost but happened to get it cheaper.

First they took away good deals during the sales, then locked games to regions, now taking inventory gifts out.... probably gonna stop allowing keys from bundles soon enough too. Just because some of us may spend $100 during a sale buying a bunch of cheap games though doesn't mean we'll even spend that same $100 on full price games. And since Valve's costs are essentially fixed its just costing them money.
I know I spend allot less do to the loss of region trading. And, really, the only games I've Fakeied in the last year have still had some regional discount with them.

Hell, even started using Origin some cause I could buy some stuff in Mexico...

So, yeah, will likely spend less...

Steam has been there last place I buy games for years now, unless it's something only sold on Steam. Bundles, Humble, GMG, GG, etc.
I mostly buy from bundles these days, but I buy from steam cuz I can use steam wallet, and most of the shit I want isn't much cheaper elsewhere anyway. Humble's starting to become a nice alternative if you manage to get referral credit

Last edited by a moderator:
Soon Steam will not allow keys to be activated, only games bought from Steam will be allowed. I could actually see them implementing this, or at least somehow charging to generate keys (not sure if they do now), since they get nothing from this now. If they decide to start charging devs, bundle costs could go way up.

Soon Steam will not allow keys to be activated, only games bought from Steam will be allowed. I could actually see them implementing this, or at least somehow charging to generate keys (not sure if they do now), since they get nothing from this now. If they decide to start charging devs, bundle costs could go way up.
They still get people to install Steam. And then they buy DOTA hats!

Call me stupid here, but is Steam making any direct profit from retailers such as GMG? Or is all of the profit being cut between the developer and the retailer?

As far as I know Steam doesn't get any cut of the profits from keys. I could be wrong about that but I think it was one of the reasons they reserved the right to stop generating keys for crappy bundle games that only existed to be bundled and redeemed for card idling.

I think the real question regarding the future becomes when do we start to see Valve charging a subscription fee to play games? Something similar to a Netflix/Hulu or Origin Access monthly payment setup. I've heard even Microsoft wants to start entertaining this idea. You no longer buy games but pay for a service to download and play games for a limited time.

Although it would be mighty difficult considering the enormous amount of games on Steam. So maybe being split up into something like a Publisher/Developer library access would work. Steam takes their cut of the sub fees, pubs/devs take theirs, and both see a constant revenue stream. Eliminating steam keys would be a start which would really hurt online retailers (GameStop, GMG, Gamersgate, Bundle websites) and cripple markets like cdkeys and G2A. I think that's where we eventually might be headed.

If subscription fees aren't too outrageous at least we won't have to worry about buying DLC since they'd be baked into making us extend our subscriptions.  :whee:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/593110/announcements/detail/1301948399254001159

Looks like saving gifts to your own inventory will no longer be a thing, and you can activate gifts from any region as long as the gifter is able to gift it.
ah so that's what tebow's talking about...

6d5bbb52-1239-40b7-b43b-3e6694a311ad_zpsjejd1grc.png

ah so that's what tebow's talking about...

6d5bbb52-1239-40b7-b43b-3e6694a311ad_zpsjejd1grc.png
If only it were always that easy to know what Tebow was talking about.

hmm...on second thought, it's probably for the best that we usually can't understand what the fuck he's talking about.

Steam generates retail keys for free and doesn't get anything out of it.  The benefit for them is getting people (and developers) onto their platform.  I don't really see them changing this (though who knows) since it would give platforms like Origin or Uplay a nice opening to pick up developers by offering the same thing.  Steam can afford to screw with things like gifting, trading or the marketplace because no one else offers those things anyway.  Messing with something other people can easily offer as well is more problematic.

Steam generates retail keys for free and doesn't get anything out of it. The benefit for them is getting people (and developers) onto their platform. I don't really see them changing this (though who knows) since it would give platforms like Origin or Uplay a nice opening to pick up developers by offering the same thing. Steam can afford to screw with things like gifting, trading or the marketplace because no one else offers those things anyway. Messing with something other people can easily offer as well is more problematic.
My thoughts exactly.

Also, thanks for shitty newess

is that a convoluted way to say "Free Weekend for the Division"?

For a moment, I thought the game goes F2P

..given how mundane and boring it was the last Free Weekend
Yup, Free Weekend.

Also, The Division's usual Free Trial rules of play for a free 6 hours or hitting Level 8 max just won't apply this weekend.

Ugh, seems like my days of asking my mexican friend to buy me some games are over, malo malo hombre GabeN.
Then you are prejudiced because you think of him as your Mexican friend and not just your friend.

Bonus points for anyone that remembers those commercials from way back when. "Grandpa: My friend Jimmy says I'm prejudiced."

New gift rules are wack 

"Canada Cant Gift to US or UK" Basically if the regions are close to each other in price, they can't be gifted to each other. Germans will feel this hard b/c of their archaic censorship rules.

Will be interesting to see how this affects the gift sellers who buy on demand, but yet another blow to the trading community. 

What about things like 2/4 packs? If gifts cant be inventoried, I'd assume they just all have to be sent right away.

New gift rules are wack

"Canada Cant Gift to US or UK" Basically if the regions are close to each other in price, they can't be gifted to each other. Germans will feel this hard b/c of their archaic censorship rules.

Will be interesting to see how this affects the gift sellers who buy on demand, but yet another blow to the trading community.

What about things like 2/4 packs? If gifts cant be inventoried, I'd assume they just all have to be sent right away.
I think that it almost instantly killed sellers on demand as well if the max allowed price difference is 10%. 4 packs are just another thing from the past, valve stopped giving support for new games a long time ago.

Still, I guess it must work as you said, opening a 4 pack and steam asking you who to send the rest of the copies.

I asked and and somebody told me that you will keep the extra gifts in your inventory. Not completely sure but he thinks it works like that.

Sure this week is my wedding anniversary and my son turns 18-months old, but this is the milestone that really hits home:

[attachment=26499:IMG_4130.PNG]

Latest bundle puts me at exactly 500. I'm ready to die now.

I think that it almost instantly killed sellers on demand as well if the max allowed price difference is 10%. 4 packs are just another thing from the past, valve stopped giving support for new games a long time ago.
Still, I guess it must work as you said, opening a 4 pack and steam asking you who to send the rest of the copies.
I asked and and somebody told me that you will keep the extra gifts in your inventory. Not completely sure but he thinks it works like that.
If the max is 10% they should just get rid of the whole fucking system... That's very few trade partners.

Gifting system wasn't designed to circumvent pricing or speculate on removed games. Closing loopholes isn't removing features and doesn't justify getting rid of the whole system.

Even if they weren't the intended features, they are still features and they are still being removed and it still takes away from the appeal of the system.  Plus this renders most of the gifting system null unless you're in the same country/region, which was used by many CAG here to gift games to each other, not as a loophole, but as part of secret santa or just to be nice.  

Even if they weren't the intended features, they are still features and they are still being removed and it still takes away from the appeal of the system. Plus this renders most of the gifting system null unless you're in the same country/region, which was used by many CAG here to gift games to each other, not as a loophole, but as part of secret santa or just to be nice.
Well there you have it. Valve hates Christmas along with the rest of the liberals. Maybe TrumpCat can help.

"Gifting to your friend" was the feature.

"Gifting to your friend, provided that you send the gift immediately and he or she lives in your country" is gimping the feature.

"Closing the loophole" hurts everyone regardless of whether or not you had anything to do with circumventing pricing or game speculation.

It's official: Gabe is now America's new trade czar and has effectively put up walls between the U.S. and Canada AND Mexico, which means he's already accomplished more in one day than his new boss did in his first 100 days in office.

"Gifting to your friend" was the feature.

"Gifting to your friend, provided that you send the gift immediately and he or she lives in your country" is gimping the feature.

"Closing the loophole" hurts everyone regardless of whether or not you had anything to do with circumventing pricing or game speculation.
You can schedule gift delivery, so you don't need to gift it immediately. Gifting outside of region to friends is a fringe case that unfortunately gets the cut, but will have minimal impact on a majority of Steam users.

You can schedule gift delivery, so you don't need to gift it immediately. Gifting outside of region to friends is a fringe case that unfortunately gets the cut, but will have minimal impact on a majority of Steam users.
But you have to schedule it at the time of purchase. I don't know how many people out-of-region gifting will affect but, ya know, this IS the internet and all. Every time I've gone on a gift-buying spree, I've never had to worry about what country everyone lived in.

"Closing a loophole" is making it so you can't stack five coupons to get a can of Cream of Chicken soup for 3¢. An edge case that you have to intentionally exploit. Making it so that I can't buy Flowette a cheap game at Christmas on a whim isn't "closing a loophole", it's just straight up gimping the feature. It doesn't need to be dressed up any prettier than that.

How about hour long VNs with no choices! Also who can forget 2D throwback platformers. There are never enough of those.

Moar VR games that require headsets that cost $500+ while being shittier than most quality indie games pls

More early access games too, hopefully so early in development, so I can help the developers who will finish the game. I'm sure they will release the within a month or so of being on early access too!

More DRM please. Maybe let me rent the games like a digital Redbox.

bread's done
Back