Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
Ha man-filth, that game was awesome.

I'm using a G602 mouse and a Microsoft ergonomic keyboard from 10 years ago. The mouse is great, but I'm in need of a keyboard upgrade. The shift key sometimes doesn't work and as some of you found out yesterday, I don't even have an insert key lol.
4d15750214ddda9243a02688ec45f0be.jpg
I'm pretty sure I had that keyboard when my PC was hooked up to my first (DLP) HDTV. It's wireless right?

Currently:
KB: Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000
M: Thermaltake Tt eSPORTS Ventus Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse
Mouse Pad: "Welcome to the 21st Century" United States Patent and Trademark Office promotional pad.

I'm pretty sure I had that keyboard when my PC was hooked up to my first (DLP) HDTV. It's wireless right?

Currently:
KB: Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000
M: Thermaltake Tt eSPORTS Ventus Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse
Mouse Pad: "Welcome to the 21st Century" United States Patent and Trademark Office promotional pad.
Yep, it's wireless. The mouse died a few years ago but aside from the shift button issues, the keyboard has been fine.

Tremorbros, the 44 coin AdGate offers are back.
Nice, they come back and go from time to time, though lately I get page load errors on a few.

Brodate:

We tried to do the weekly on KF2, but alas, even Syntax and DFG couldn't carry us to victory. We had a nice turnout, but I think the suicidal ones might just be beyond our skill level at the moment. Maybe if we all level up a 25 we might do it.

Then we played some PUBG and had a few good rounds, until the last round. We begged Syntax to stay for one more round and rewarded him by Bah throwing a hissyfit over a 4x scope, trying to team kill two of us, and then dying a few minutes later in a fight over a jeep.

A couple days ago I received a Sewell Soundbox Pro (bought during the $15 off $75 eBay sale) and have been giving it a try.  Ignore the $550 price tag on Amazon, it's a $70-$80 card.  When I received it, I almost sent it back as a counterfeit since the packaging and driver CD said Aim21Pro but I noticed the CD in the Amazon photos said the same.  A little digging revealed that Aim21 makes them and Sewell, SIIG and another outfit or two brands and distributes them.

Half of my need was a device to keep me from climbing under my desk to switch speaker and headset wires every time.  The Soundbox Pro keeps everything tidy and looks nice while not taking up much space.  It looks good on my desk and doesn't feel cheap.

On the sound front, the Soundbox Pro is supposedly more of an audiophile card than a gamer's card -- it plays sound "true" rather than artificially punching up the explosions and gunshots.  I admit I'm parroting reviews here as this isn't really my niche.  Music sounds much more impressive from my Monoprice headphones than through my Sennheiser Game Zero headset although I don't know if that's because the Monoprice set overdoes the bass (like Beats famously do) at the expense of fidelity for a fuller sound.  Or if it's just my Sennheiser set not being particularly exceptional.  I mentioned once before that the Game Zeros did not impress me as a $289 headset though I'm content enough at the $110ish i paid for them and my impression hasn't changed any.  They sound good and are comfortable and I appreciate the flip mic but any illusions that I'd be wowed once I had a real sound card has faded.  I'm using the downloaded drivers for the Soundbox and last night installed Dolby Atmos which makes a noticeable improvement.  For what it's worth, the Game Zeros have 50 ohm impedance and the Monoprice set has 40; customer reviews for the Soundbox Pro have people saying it drove their Game Zero sets without issue.

That's for music though.  For gaming, I don't have any real complaints.  Again, not "Holy Christ, this is great" but stuff is clear and I have no issues distinguishing and locating sounds in PUBG.  Maybe my expectations are too high or maybe my ears just don't work due to my many years on this earth. 

Anyway, let's say 10/10 for physical presence and 7/10 for performance although I'm still not sure if that's the sound card's fault, the headset's or my unrealistic expectations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey internet gamers,

Look how awesome you are:

http://www.pcgamer.com/middle-earth-shadow-of-wars-charity-dlc-will-be-free-for-everyone/

Now, instead of getting all the money from the DLC, the family will get a donation directly from the company, which I quite honestly don't expect to be as much as could have been raised from the DLC, but thanks for being outraged at "shady" devs and fucking over the family of a dead man in the process.  

Mouse: FAKE, makes a squeaky noise when I hit it
Keyboard: phone, used for posting crap about those sons of bitches NFL players on Twitter

Now, instead of getting all the money from the DLC, the family will get a donation directly from the company, which I quite honestly don't expect to be as much as could have been raised from the DLC, but thanks for being outraged at "shady" devs and fucking over the family of a dead man in the process.
This is why we can't have nice things.

Now that we know what everyone's using for a KB+M, what about headsets or headphone/mic combo?  Syntax's post reminded me I wanted to ask.  

I'm using a pair of Sony Pulse headphones made for the PS3.  They work well enough, but they are not very comfortable after about 2-3 hours of gaming, and I want to look into a pair of open headphones since apparently the wider soundstage helps pinpointing where sounds are coming from.  

I've been looking into these, which seem reasonably priced and have pretty good reviews.  The downside is I would need to get a separate mic but I should be able to get both for under $100.  

https://www.amazon.com/AKG-240-Semi-Open-Studio-Headphones/dp/B0001ARCFA

Now that we know what everyone's using for a KB+M, what about headsets or headphone/mic combo? Syntax's post reminded me I wanted to ask.

I'm using a pair of Sony Pulse headphones made for the PS3. They work well enough, but they are not very comfortable after about 2-3 hours of gaming, and I want to look into a pair of open headphones since apparently the wider soundstage helps pinpointing where sounds are coming from.

I've been looking into these, which seem reasonably priced and have pretty good reviews. The downside is I would need to get a separate mic but I should be able to get both for under $100.

If you want open headphones go for the Philips SHP9500S. They are currently $54 on Newegg. I paid $50. Most comfortable headphones you will ever wear and sound great. Watch this review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aipXii-qWiQ

That guy reviews stuff that cost $1000 and still recommends them.

I use them for music, but since my Nessie acts up from time to time and I haven't been able to get a replacement mic that I like yet, I've been using the Plantronics Gamecom P80 that I got for $10 from Newegg. For a wireless headset for $10 I have no complaints. Sound is good, mic is good They are on ear and start to hurt after like 4 hours or so, but I usually just move them around a bit and they are good to go. So not the most comfortable things in the world, but again, $10 wireless, about 8 hours on battery charge, sound is good, mic is good, as is usually the case with plantronics. The headset has volume controls and I flip up the mic to mute. $10/10 would pay $10 for these again.

I've been looking into these, which seem reasonably priced and have pretty good reviews. The downside is I would need to get a separate mic but I should be able to get both for under $100.

I love the 240's, had a pair forever. Really comfortable, and can wear them a long ass time (but that can usually be said about most open back headphones). Just remember they are open, so if you have anyone around you they will be able to hear everything.

Im not sure if Id recommend those for gaming or general usage though. I use them for production and studio monitoring, for which they are great for, so for music Id highly recommend them if you like a flatter response headphone. For gaming and other stuff Im not really sure Id want to use those

Guess I'm doing it to:

Mouse: Logitech G602 Wireless Mourse

Keyboard: Logitech G710

Headphones: Philips X2/27 Fidelio with V-Mode Mic Attached 

I love the 240's, had a pair forever. Really comfortable, and can wear them a long ass time (but that can usually be said about most open back headphones). Just remember they are open, so if you have anyone around you they will be able to hear everything.

Im not sure if Id recommend those for gaming or general usage though. I use them for production and studio monitoring, for which they are great for, so for music Id highly recommend them if you like a flatter response headphone. For gaming and other stuff Im not really sure Id want to use those
Thanks for the review! What about these Superlux ones. I've seen them recommended for gaming on some Youtube review video:

https://www.amazon.com/Superlux-HD668B-Dynamic-Semi-Open-Headphones/dp/B003JOETX8

Speaking of... (since I posted the image)

Can we get a head count for people who understand that HuniePop is pronounced "Honey-Pop" which actually makes sense for a game about meeting and banging quasi-anime chicks versus those demented souls who think it's "Heuny-Pop" (rhymes with "Moonie-Pop")?  Because this has come up at least twice now during Bro Nights.

Thanks for the review! What about these Superlux ones. I've seen them recommended for gaming on some Youtube review video:

https://www.amazon.com/Superlux-HD668B-Dynamic-Semi-Open-Headphones/dp/B003JOETX8
Ive heard of em, but really thats about it. Id just suggest googling around for reviews on all of these since as long as they cost 20$+ there's bound to be reviews of them out there. I dont remember the sites/forums anymore, but theres lots of places you can ask too for people's comparisons, of which there are usually endless threads

Can we get a head count for people who understand that HuniePop is pronounced "Honey-Pop" which actually makes sense for a game about meeting and banging quasi-anime chicks versus those demented souls who think it's "Heuny-Pop" (rhymes with "Moonie-Pop")? Because this has come up at least twice now during Bro Nights.
Er, I thought it was Hughnie-Pop, as in that Wolverine guy or that crippled doctor guy. I guess I was alone in the wilderness on that one.

Apparently Killer Instinct just launched on Steam:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/577940/Killer_Instinct/

$39.99 and it's supposed to be crossplay with the X1 and Windows 10 versions in every mode outside of ranked.  I knew this was supposed to be coming out soon, but that's strange to see it just appear on Steam so suddenly.  LOL

EDIT: Here's a link to their Steam version FAQ:

https://www.ultra-combo.com/ki-steam-qa/

EDIT: Apparently the game now has a launch discount of 25% off.  So it's actually $29.99 until October 4th.  Nice!

Apparently Killer Instinct just launched on Steam:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/577940/Killer_Instinct/

$39.99 and it's supposed to be crossplay with the X1 and Windows 10 versions in every mode outside of ranked. I knew this was supposed to be coming out soon, but that's strange to see it just appear on Steam so suddenly. LOL

EDIT: Here's a link to their Steam version FAQ:

https://www.ultra-combo.com/ki-steam-qa/
It is weird that they just stuck it up on the store with no advance notice. Personally, I already spent $30 on this on the Windows Store and it's not entertaining enough to double-dip. I posted a review here a while back. The Shadow Lords mode is actually pretty tough unless you're pretty good at these kinds of games (not a button-masher like me), so YMMV in terms of value for money.

when you suck as bad as I do,  does it really matter what you use?

KB:  microsoft ergo 4000

mouse: coolermaster spawn mouse

headset:  some crappy back of head headset.  I cant stand normal headphones.   Ive been a man without a home since logitech stopped making their behind the head sets.

headset: some crappy back of head headset. I cant stand normal headphones. Ive been a man without a home since logitech stopped making their behind the head sets.
Behind the heads are hard to find because not many people use them unless they're earbud style and I prefer over the ear. I used a pair of Sony MDR-G45LP's in the winter time due to having to have a winter hat on when commuting via the subway. They're around $15-20. They're excellent quality for the price. I can't stand earbuds and finding a decent pair of behind the head/neck sets was a pain.

The prior model Sony MDR-G74SL were even better espc in respect to spatial sound quality, but those arent being manufactured anymore. If you can find a pair of those, get them.

Can we get a head count for people who understand that HuniePop is pronounced "Honey-Pop" which actually makes sense for a game about meeting and banging quasi-anime chicks versus those demented souls who think it's "Heuny-Pop" (rhymes with "Moonie-Pop")? Because this has come up at least twice now during Bro Nights.
My 8 yr old calls it hugh-knee pop, never thought anything but honey-pop, (like honey pot a colloquialism for vaj). but again, he's 8.

And yes, he's seen the daytime matching gameplay, but no, he's not seen even the early personal photos.

Back to Peripheral-Talk

I use either cheap Inland stereo speakers or Turtle Beach Ear Force X41's repurposed from my 360.

If you want open headphones go for the Philips SHP9500S. They are currently $54 on Newegg. I paid $50. Most comfortable headphones you will ever wear and sound great. Watch this review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aipXii-qWiQ

That guy reviews stuff that cost $1000 and still recommends them.

I use them for music, but since my Nessie acts up from time to time and I haven't been able to get a replacement mic that I like yet, I've been using the Plantronics Gamecom P80 that I got for $10 from Newegg. For a wireless headset for $10 I have no complaints. Sound is good, mic is good They are on ear and start to hurt after like 4 hours or so, but I usually just move them around a bit and they are good to go. So not the most comfortable things in the world, but again, $10 wireless, about 8 hours on battery charge, sound is good, mic is good, as is usually the case with plantronics. The headset has volume controls and I flip up the mic to mute. $10/10 would pay $10 for these again.
That Plantronics headset is currently $9.99 - With Promo Code: EMCRKCH23 on Newegg - if anyone's interested.

An update to the Killer Instinct release I mentioned earlier:

It now has a launch discount until October 4th of 25% off.  So it's actually $29.99.  That's cool of them, although I've got to imagine people who bought it before that are annoyed.  LOL

Here's the thing, yes "honey" pop makes the most sense, but it also would have made more sense for them to spell it either Huney Pop or Honie pop, but then they went all HUNIE and that's why it's like, I guess it's hughney pop. I just assumed it was some term all you weeaboo perverts knew and that I was clueless about.

Behind the heads are hard to find because not many people use them unless they're earbud style and I prefer over the ear. I used a pair of Sony MDR-G45LP's in the winter time due to having to have a winter hat on when commuting via the subway. They're around $15-20. They're excellent quality for the price. I can't stand earbuds and finding a decent pair of behind the head/neck sets was a pain.

The prior model Sony MDR-G74SL were even better espc in respect to spatial sound quality, but those arent being manufactured anymore. If you can find a pair of those, get them.
Those look fine and all, but not being gaming sets with a mic is a non starter. My desk is too cluttered to use a separate mic.

Worked for me (just checked now). STOP SPREADING FAKE NEWS!

Edit:

Just to be sure you have the right one:

https://www.newegg .com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16879106004
Ah see, I was on the wrong product. I was looking at the philips that was the subject of the video. Reading comprehension is for nerds anyway.

Edit: for what it's worth, I own these. got them in some ebay bundle from newegg with Resi7 a while ago. The ear holes are made for tiny baby man ears, fyi. They get real uncomfortable.

First time I saw the name I instinctively thought "heughneigh pop".

Never thought about it again until I got "heughneigh cam".

Then I thought, yeah, it's probably supposed to be honey.

I still say "heughneigh" though.

But then, I pronounce gif so what do I know.

bread's done
Back