Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
CS:Go and DOTA 2.. ;)

Come on, we ain't EA or Ubisuck or Activishit. We can't pump out a different version of CS:Go or DOTA 2 every year like that... or can we? :speaktothehand:
CS:GO = 2012.

DOTA 2 = 2013.

Today = 2018.

What the hell have they done in the last 4-5 years?

Last edited by a moderator:
Gabe is mortal.  He'll eventually die.  Assuming he gives most of his assets to his wife/kids I wouldn't expect them to hold on to Valve if Microsoft offers then a few billion dollars for it.

CS:GO = 2012.

DOTA 2 = 2013.

Today = 2018.

What the hell have they done in the last 4-5 years?
Blizzard had a six year gap between releasing World of Warcraft and StarCraft II.

There are studios that play the rat's-race of yearly releases, then there are studios that expect their IPs to have much longer lifespans.

Hearthstone started as a silly game to dick around with while developing more World of Warcraft content. Now it's a money printing machine. Focusing hardcore on market researching what's going to be the best seller for the upcoming quarter and then making your programmers grind that camel out isn't always the best way to make money.

Valve is similar, Left 4 Dead and Portal came about because teams forked off of the Half Life 3 project to do something that interested them. Two of their biggest money-making titles came about because their developers liked dicking around playing mods.

Blizzard had a six year gap between releasing World of Warcraft and StarCraft II.

There are studios that play the rat's-race of yearly releases, then there are studios that expect their IPs to have much longer lifespans.

Hearthstone started as a silly game to dick around with while developing more World of Warcraft content. Now it's a money printing machine. Focusing hardcore on market researching what's going to be the best seller for the upcoming quarter and then making your programmers grind that camel out isn't always the best way to make money.

Valve is similar, Left 4 Dead and Portal came about because teams forked off of the Half Life 3 project to do something that interested them. Two of their biggest money-making titles came about because their developers liked dicking around playing mods.
The main difference is Valve has Steam and Blizzard did not. Thus Valve has to do literally nothing other than maintain servers and still net truckloads of money. The push to make Starcraft 2 was an early bid for the e-sports market. As cringe-worthy things like Twitch got more and more popular and e-sports became 'legitimate' Blizzard shifted their direction towards games heavily focused on microtransactions. Valve did the same with DOTA and now everyone and their mother is follow suit with Valve and Blizzard ripping each other off at every turn.

I'm fairly certain both L4D and Portal started at other studios that Valve bought for the purpose of owning those respective IPs. Very few of Valve's wacky experimental/free thought/whatever concepts that actually started in-house have materialized into anything worthwhile.

Edit: Fairly certain = 100% sure. L4D was developed by Turtle Rock and the game was in development before Valve acquired them in 2008. Portal is based on Narbacular Drop by DigiPen -- Valve hired the team to develop Portal.

Hearthstone started as a silly game to dick around with while developing more World of Warcraft content. Now it's a money printing machine.
1363126452_taco-girl-meme-generator-why-not-both-6ec00b.jpg

As cringe-worthy things like Twitch got more and more popular and e-sports became 'legitimate' Blizzard shifted their direction towards games heavily focused on microtransactions. Valve did the same with DOTA and now everyone and their mother is follow suit with Valve and Blizzard ripping each other off at every turn.
So in other words Valve is at the vanguard of the most successful current segment of videogame development. Sure sounds just like a studio that doesn't do any development to me!

By "they don't make games anymore" what people mean is "at this very moment, they make by far the most successful and most played games in the world", but instead what they say is "they're not doing any development anymore because they just rake in Steam money". If the idea is to just say something negative because we all hate Valve well yeah I can get aboard with that, but what people choose to say is just patently nonsensical.

Is that the nickname for the trash bin where all the unpurchased Steam Links end up?
As a total aside, I've used my steam link a lot this past week. Even though my desktop is also in my bedroom, I hooked the Link to the BR TV so that I could stretch out. The thing works well. Now if only they had a native Netflix app....

Does anyone know if there is a way in "Rise of the Tomb Raider" to get a count of how many people you have killed?  Just curious, because I felt like a murdered an entire smaller city worth of people....FOR THE GREATER GOOD, OF COURSE!!!!!

I thought it was a good game, worth playing, I still find it odd that Tombs are optional, murdering...not so much....

Hopefully the next game, I can murder a T-Rex.....

8/10

Does anyone know if there is a way in "Rise of the Tomb Raider" to get a count of how many people you have killed? Just curious, because I felt like a murdered an entire smaller city worth of people....FOR THE GREATER GOOD, OF COURSE!!!!!
For the Tomb Raider reboot, which is the one was trying to mention when I said Rise, IGN did a video but I've not seen any for Rise... maybe because comparisons to the old games mean less as we've seen the new series in two games.

Anyhow that video for anyone really curious.

https://youtu.be/CEN5obhFRj4

So in other words Valve is at the vanguard of the most successful current segment of videogame development. Sure sounds just like a studio that doesn't do any development to me!

By "they don't make games anymore" what people mean is "at this very moment, they make by far the most successful and most played games in the world", but instead what they say is "they're not doing any development anymore because they just rake in Steam money". If the idea is to just say something negative because we all hate Valve well yeah I can get aboard with that, but what people choose to say is just patently nonsensical.
Valve doesn't make games anymore n00b

From a gamer standpoint you want developers to make fun games. If you're simply a fan of companies running themselves as efficiently as possible to make a profit... this is probably the wrong forum to be posting on.

Ideally you want developers to innovate and come up with fresh ideas as opposed to regurgitating the same F2P slot machines that have been kicking around the last half dozen years. Although when you look at the history of Valve and how most of their more famous IPs have come from the wholesale acquisition of other development studios you have to wonder if there was any creativity in the original group in the first place.

Gabe is a cool guy... but he's like the Howard Hughes of the gaming industry. He, and the company, have so much money it's all about crazy ideas that more often than not either don't see the light of day or add marginal utility to gamers (e.g. Steam controller, Steam link, Steam box, the ill-fated SteamOS). All of this cash pouring in from DOTA, CS:GO, TF2, and soon to be Artifact... do they put it to good use? What's it funding? More F2P cash engines?

Yes, there are millions of people who love those type of games... but there are also millions of people who think New Kids on the Block were great performers.

Me: I have self control

*fakeybro's Zodiac Age*

Me: godammit

hopefully not me in about 5 hours
Well assuming they sell it at the same launch sale price of $39.99 like Steam, Green Man Gaming is also currently running a 23% off coupon (code is JUSTFORYOU). If that stacks it'll only be around $30.79, which isn't too bad considering the MSRP is gonna be $50.

Hey, Hey, Hey -

NKOTB were good performers. Now singers on the other hand.
Dammit! I went to that concert ONE time 30 years ago... and one of them had some sort of temper tantrum backstage and delayed the concert by an hour and a half. So no, they weren't good performers. My much MUCH younger self was not pleased.

Well assuming they sell it at the same launch sale price of $39.99 like Steam, Green Man Gaming is also currently running a 23% off coupon (code is JUSTFORYOU). If that stacks it'll only be around $30.79, which isn't too bad considering the MSRP is gonna be $50.
Quoting this to confirm that this does work. Final Fantasy XII is $30.79 with the JUSTFORYOU voucher code. Not sure if there's anything higher than this 23% off coupon though.

Batman: The Enemy Within for $7.50 (70%) off when it's not even finished seems like it could be a mistake, especially when the first game is $15. Seems like the prices might've been swapped.

EDIT: Season 1 was $7.50 during the Winter Sale and Season 2 was $15, so yeah, looks like a mistake.

EDIT 2: Prices fixed.

Batman: The Enemy Within for $7.50 (70%) off when it's not even finished seems like it could be a mistake, especially when the first game is $15. Seems like the prices might've been swapped.

EDIT: Season 1 was $7.50 during the Winter Sale and Season 2 was $15, so yeah, looks like a mistake.
Picked it up and came to post this to let everyone know, beat me to it. Good looking out though. I enjoyed the first one well enough, hope this ones good, TT games seem to have dropped in quality a little lately.

Picked it up and came to post this to let everyone know, beat me to it. Good looking out though. I enjoyed the first one well enough, hope this ones good, TT games seem to have dropped in quality a little lately.
I've played up through Episode 4, and I liked it quite a lot. It still grates on my ears to hear Bruce refer to his butler as "Al," but they've done some interesting things with the characters and a lot of new faces appear in this installment, including Riddler, Mr. Freeze, Bane, Harley Quinn, and Amanda Waller. The story is partially about sinister secret dealings in Gotham by Waller's Agency and their consequences for the city, but it's also about how Bruce essentially shapes the fate of a particular character (whom I won't name here, but you probably know who I'm talking about). Well worth $7.50; I picked up a clearance copy for the XBONE at Target for $10. It probably won't be bundled until later this year and if it is, it will be in the third tier.

Looks like the price mistake was fixed a few minutes ago. Now it's at -40% and $14.99.

I was kind of tempted, but then again I haven't even played 'The Wolf Among Us' yet.

Looks like the price mistake was fixed a few minutes ago. Not it's at -40% and $14.99.

I was kind of tempted, but then again I haven't even played 'The Wolf Among Us' yet.
Yeah I skipped it. By the time I play through the first season it'll be 75% off and/or bundled.

So I'm contemplating, probably not seriously, picking up Fallout 4 this weekend. Are any of the DLCs necessary or is it all pointless faffing-about?

www.greenmangaming.com/search/final%20fantasy%20xv -$10€ if you order from search page instead of game page.  + JUSTFORYOU for additional 23% off
glitch possibly , makes it $30€

Edit: 25OFFFFXV for additional 25% off

www.greenmangaming.com/search/final%20fantasy%20xv -$10€ if you order from search page instead of game page. + JUSTFORYOU for additional 23% off
glitch possibly , makes it $30€

Edit: 25OFFFFXV for additional 25% off
Wanted this day one and that worked. Thank you. Total was $29.99 with the 25% off coupon.

Nuka World and Far Harbor are worth playing. the rest is minecraft bullshit.
Pretty close although I'd question if even Nuka World and Far Harbor are worth it. I haven't played NW but most people seemed pretty unimpressed by it, especially if you don't feel like being a raider and attacking the settlements you previous made. Far Harbor I found to be okay but nothing exceptional. It had a feeling of cheapness to it, in my opinion, in that only one possible companion has any unique dialogue lines.

The rest of it is various settlement mod stuff and the ability to make robot companions.

bread's done
Back