Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
Inspired by Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law, no doubt. One of the best unheralded animated adult shows ever.

FreshTheseDodo-size_restricted.gif
the Harvey Birdman game was also pretty alright, since it was an Ace Attorney clone too

Free DLC for Far Cry 5 (American Muscle Pack) via slightly complex process:

FarCry5Incentive.png
[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]

There is currently an action by Ubisoft in Germany, through which it comes for free to a code for the American Muscle Pack for Far Cry 5. Usually, you'll need to drop by a participating store (Media Markt, Saturn, etc.) and scan a QR code (click "Deal" for list). There is a location check via GPS for verification. While stocks last.

If you do not feel like going out in the crap weather, you can also fool the system into being there.

This can be done in several ways, e.g. with Chrome:

- open new tab and press F12 -> Developer tools will open
- Ctrl + Shift + M -> Mobile view activates
- Click on the top three small dots (in the console window, not in the mobile view that has opened) and then click on "More tools" -> "Sensors" (My Chrome is in English, but you think so, should be called similar in the German version) - select "Custom location ..." for geolocation and, for example, Enter the following:

52.36857888846746 latitude 10.730198869217702 longitude

ubisoft.launch-dlc.de

then redeem code at https://coderedeem.ubi.com/site/promotion/59/far-cry-5?lang=en-GB

So one more thing to consider: If I were to upgrade my GPU, or build a new PC, I would almost certainly prefer to go NVidia. If I were to spend a bundle on a Freesync monitor now, I'd be more inclined to stay AMD, and there seem to be much fewer options to step up from what I have now.
You've probably noticed already but just in case, there is a drastic price difference between freesync and gsync displays. Would you consider a 1080p freesync monitor now and ditching it for a 1440p gsync if you go Nvidia down the road?

I dig the monitor curve. It's not drastically different, but it's very nice. I'd value higher refresh rates and variable refresh rates above the curve, but the curve is nice.

Free DLC for Far Cry 5 (American Muscle Pack) via slightly complex process:
Does this guy also give pointers on how to get free PS3 sports games by performing pagan rituals on Tuesdays with Morrie before dumpster diving the GameStop/Panda Express section of your local mall?

Last edited by a moderator:
You've probably noticed already but just in case, there is a drastic price difference between freesync and gsync displays. Would you consider a 1080p freesync monitor now and ditching it for a 1440p gsync if you go Nvidia down the road?

I dig the monitor curve. It's not drastically different, but it's very nice. I'd value higher refresh rates and variable refresh rates above the curve, but the curve is nice.
I would definitely consider an upgraded monitor if I were to go freesync now and Nvidia down the road. But all the more reason to spend less now. Generally, this means foregoing the curve for now.

Edit - by the way - wife not buying into this new monitor thing at all. At least not at the moment. She's so tough. And after I gave her a baby. WTF do I get?

Far Cry 5 looks better than I expected.  The setting works well.  I suppose I should get around to playing Far Cry 3 and Far Cry 4 at some point before I buy another one though.

Far Cry 5 looks better than I expected. The setting works well. I suppose I should get around to playing Far Cry 3 and Far Cry 4 at some point before I buy another one though.
You and me both. Add Far Cry 2 and Primal and some of 1 (I did play some of this) and you have my situation. I almost was tempted to buy it, but I should play the older ones first.

I have not played Far Cry 2 either.  I did play the first one a long, long time ago.  And didn't buy Primal as of yet.  I have some self-control when it comes to buying games, just not much.  Not sure I will ever play 2 at this point, unless someone tells me it is just amazing, I think I'll start with 3.

I would definitely consider an upgraded monitor if I were to go freesync now and Nvidia down the road. But all the more reason to spend less now. Generally, this means foregoing the curve for now.

Edit - by the way - wife not buying into this new monitor thing at all. At least not at the moment. She's so tough. And after I gave her a baby. WTF do I get?
Sounds like you need a new wife and then you can get a new monitor.

I have not played Far Cry 2 either. I did play the first one a long, long time ago. And didn't buy Primal as of yet. I have some self-control when it comes to buying games, just not much. Not sure I will ever play 2 at this point, unless someone tells me it is just amazing, I think I'll start with 3.
Far Cry 1 from Crytek was an awesome linear FPS w/ nice open-spaces to have shootouts and whatnot.

Far Cry 2 was a good open-world FPS, but is very AC1-ish on the side stuff - as in repetitive and cut & paste NPC's (character models and voice-work), safe-houses, outposts, and whatnot everywhere. If you can - try to mostly stick to the main-story stuff as much as possible, as those missions are really good. Side-stuff bogs the game down, though. FC2 is good, but I was disappointed with it.

FC3 is worlds better than FC2, IMHO.

EDIT:

I didn't get far w/ FC4 b/c it felt like Ubi open-world Far Cry fatigue. I'm sure it'll get back to it, when I'm not so burnt out on open-world Far Cry games.

Haven't bought or played Primal either.

I think you're on the right track. If you can get a non curved, freesync, 34" ultrawide for $250; and I'm out of my element here (Donny) that sounds pretty swell.

Put $50 a month into the kid's "529 plan" (secret gsync ultrawide monitor stash) and cash out in 2022. College will be free by the time their done with highschool anyway, eh? EH?

I think you're on the right track. If you can get a non curved, freesync, 34" ultrawide for $250; and I'm out of my element here (Donny) that sounds pretty swell.

Put $50 a month into the kid's "529 plan" (secret gsync ultrawide monitor stash) and cash out in 2022. College will be free by the time their done with highschool anyway, eh? EH?
What's wrong with curved? Tebow's mom likes my curved ultra-wide! AMIRITE?!?!?

Seems like there's a Square Enix Sale every other week. This one is generally crappier, although the Deus Ex Mankind Divided complete your collection offer is a whole cent cheaper than last time! I am somewhat tempted to spend my Gabe Bux on it, but being in a Humble Monthly really devalued this game for me. Although this is probably a better deal than the Humble Monthly as it includes the Season Pass.

My PC is too weak for FarCry 5.  It looks like they could have modeled the game after my town (based on scenery) in Montana.

We're surrounded by 7th Day Adventists (same cult as Davidians in Waco).

...I may need to upgrade, or just snag a console for this game.

My PC is too weak for FarCry 5. It looks like they could have modeled the game after my town (based on scenery) in Montana.

What are your PC's specs?

My PC is too weak for FarCry 5. It looks like they could have modeled the game after my town (based on scenery) in Montana.

You could grab a shovel or pipe, strap a small cardboard box around your eyes/face, and venture out into your town in pursuit of those cultists while pretending that you are playing Far Cry 5 in VR. No expensive gaming rig required!

i7 2700K @ 3.5ghz

16Gb DDR3 - Dual Mode

AMD 7970 w/ 3Gb VRam (GDDR5)
I still run a good deal of recent games well at 1440p at Medium-to-High or above w/ 50-60fps.

I have: i7 950 Bloomfield, 16 GB RAM DDR3, and GTX 970.

No clue how FC5 runs, don't have it yet. Probably won't have that for a while.

Far Cry 5 looks better than I expected. The setting works well. I suppose I should get around to playing Far Cry 3 and Far Cry 4 at some point before I buy another one though.
Far Cry 4 is a clinical study in the excesses of Ubisoft open-world syndrome. It easily belongs on an historic list of the worst videogames ever made throughout history.

From what I understand, Far Cry 5 very consciously addresses some problems from FC4, doing away with Ubisoft Towers, for example. Maybe FC5 is worth playing. But definitely don't bother going back to FC4.

It easily belongs on an historic list of the worst videogames ever made throughout history.
Spoken like someone who has never Bro-Nighted. It wouldn't make a Top 1000 list of legitimately worst games :lol:

Far Cry 5 has been a hoot so far. It is Far Cry and plays like the previous three or four titles (inc Blood Dragon) -- wandering the wilderness and killin' dudes, stealing trucks, taking bases, rescuing citizens, etc. More robust AI companions, I assume the mechanics are from Primal, and a new feature or two like fishing and flying airplanes. After leaving the intro island, I set off and rescued a puma to make my traveling buddy, developed a love for the shotgun, did some hunting, rescued some people, opened an outpost or two and ignored everyone to catch some sweet rainbow trout. Oh, and the obligatory Far Cry drug trip. Good times.

Not that it makes any real difference for single player, but you can choose your gender and looks (set face once, but change hair, clothes, etc) in this game. Probably really to make 'unique' avatars for the co-op aspect and in Far Cry Arcade. The female heads seem to be designed by the same person who made the female heads for The Division; I'm sure she has a lovely personality. Of course, if I was being pursued by gun cultists through the Montana Rockies, I'd probably look less than magazine-cover ready myself.

Only real dings on the reviews seem to come from people who desperately want video games to be Very Important Things and are upset that the plot is an excuse to travel the hills of Montana, shooting bison and cultists with a truck mounted .50 cal, and not an deeply insightful exploration of the intersection of religion, gun culture, patriotism and rural independence.

Going into a Far Cry game (I would extend that to many other Ubi games, AC series, GR: Wildlands has some of that DNA (AM I KOOL NAO???? I USED DNA IN A SENTENCE!!!!) not expecting, unlockable areas, animals to hunt, people to tail, outposts to liberate, shit to blow up and shit to arm yourself with to blow shit up; is like expecting Street Fighter to not have any fighting in it.

I really wish the Street Fighter series would be more serious and inject some social commentary into the storylines....said no one sane ever.....

Very quick Card Quest impressions:

I got this during a previous GMG sale.

Game play: I love card based games and this one has you playing as a class (rouge, wizard, warrior, ranger). They all have their strength and weaknesses and have different energy to play their cards, such as mana for the wizard. Everyone uses energy as well. The cards that form your deck come from your equipment, which you can usually get better at the end of an area. It's simple and I wish there was a way to just outright get cards, but it works alright enough. Every level you also get a perk, but some are confusing as they're for styles you haven't unlocked. Every adventure is made up of like 8 levels or so with you getting stuff for completing them. It's a nice loop of game play, though a bit slow at times. 7/10

Story: There is barely one and it's told through text like old dungeon crawling adventures. It's nothing special other than you're adventuring and here is the next place. 3/10

Graphics: They are very simple but kind of remind me old dungeon crawling games. They work and the battle effects are OK. The UI is a bit tricky but displays everything well enough. 6.5/10

Sound: Pretty simple sound effects and I honestly don't really remember music. It's basic but OK enough. 4/10

Fun Factor: Now here is where the game is better than usual. The game play is rouge like and very addictive. It's hard as nails though. It's not always easy to tell what things do, as the game can use better tool tips. It's fun and the enemy variety is very OK. There are multiple adventures (3 I believe) that will last a long time, as they're very hard to get through. This will take me a while to beat. 8/10

Overall I like the game enough and will likely play it till I can beat it. It's fun and addictive, and I wish their was a tiny bit more customization of cards, but it's worth it when it's bundled or sells for like $2 or less. 7/10

Only real dings on the reviews seem to come from people who desperately want video games to be Very Important Things and are upset that the plot is an excuse to travel the hills of Montana, shooting bison and cultists with a truck mounted .50 cal, and not an deeply insightful exploration of the intersection of religion, gun culture, patriotism and rural independence.
Eh, in fairness I think Ubi set a certain level of expectation that the game would have some sort of commentary about our current political climate when previewing the game with journalists. I read more than one preview article hinting at the idea that the setting and the antagonist were intended to reflect real-world situations. It's not like the Just Cause series, which blatantly ignores and never attempted to set any expectations that it would address its dubious foreign-policy and colonialism implications--it's just a game where you blow sh*t up and it makes no bones about it.

Eh, in fairness I think Ubi set a certain level of expectation that the game would have some sort of commentary about our current political climate when previewing the game with journalists. I read more than one preview article hinting at the idea that the setting and the antagonist were intended to reflect real-world situations. It's not like the Just Cause series, which blatantly ignores and never attempted to set any expectations that it would address its dubious foreign-policy and colonialism implications--it's just a game where you blow sh*t up and it makes no bones about it.
You sure that was Ubi or the journalists projecting? The first I heard of FC5 was trumpers whining like little babies that the game was making fun of them. Which is funny considering the cult in the game is one of those anti-government nutjobs where people probably wouldn't vote at all.

From an interview with creative and game director Dan Hay:

Of course, what happens in the real world affects us. Of course, there are occasionally eerie things that will happen and we'll see that they're sometimes in line with things that we talk about or our characters talk about. The truth is is that we conceived this long before the situations that we discover and the things that are going on in the world, happening now.

We also have the opportunity to maybe adjust or change, and there's a lot of times where we just say no, because I think the world is moving so fast right now that almost week to week there's a new issue, a new concern, a new thing that's happening. I think if we tried to keep up with that: if you try and make everything, sometimes you end up with nothing. What we came up with was an idea that The Father believes the end of the world is coming, and he had a simple notion which was "It's going to happen, and I need to save as many people as I can, whether they want to be saved or not. When it's all over, two weeks after it all goes south, you'll look at me and say thank you."

That's an eerie, creepy notion. But the other thing we have to remember is that it's a game. That serves as a spine, a narrative spine through the game, but there's a whole bunch of other stuff in the game, where people can go play with an anecdote factory, they can go and do all the things that make a classic Far Cry. We can marry those two things together, players can snack on the parts they want to, and leave the parts they don't.
Reading some other interviews from the months before launch, it's much the same: There's some interesting stuff that we thought would make a good narrative for the world but it's ultimately a game with a bunch of entertaining stuff for you to do. He uses the term "anecdote factory" repeatedly in the interviews sort of pressing home the idea that they're less interested in you saying "Wow, what a deep and insightful story" and more "Holy shit, let me tell you about the time I drove my car off a cliff and into a base and jumped out and threw down bait and a wolverine attacked the guards..."

From an interview with creative and game director Dan Hay:

Reading some other interviews from the months before launch, it's much the same: There's some interesting stuff that we thought would make a good narrative for the world but it's ultimately a game with a bunch of entertaining stuff for you to do. He uses the term "anecdote factory" repeatedly in the interviews sort of pressing home the idea that they're less interested in you saying "Wow, what a deep and insightful story" and more "Holy shit, let me tell you about the time I drove my car off a cliff and into a base and jumped out and threw down bait and a wolverine attacked the guards..."
Maybe I misremembered some things. One's memory is not generally the best research tool. It could be that the articles I read were suggesting that Ubi might waste an opportunity to comment on current events if they chose not to incorporate some meaningful narrative into the game, in which case Fox (and you) are exactly right.

Eh, don't listen to me--I'm just bitter because I have to re-level my heroes in Injustice 2 now and all I got for my 60 regen tokens was a lousy 93,000 credits. Thanks, Trump!

When Ubi first showed off FC5, it was behind closed doors and they spent like 30 minutes before showing any of the game just talking about cults and how this is the first FC set in America and how this shit could really happen. It was supposed to be one of most ultra-serious presentations ever for a videogame.

Lego The Incredibles already up on Steam for pre-order. Continuing the $40 USD equals $80 CAD Lego tradition, unfortunately. I have no clue as to what keeps motivating WB to keep doing this. Can't be sales, as Lego City Undercover has only sold approximately 45K on PC, while Lego Marvel Superheroes 2 sits at 38k, and Ninjago at 16k.

bread's done
Back