Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
kgwW9iP.gif

They're pretty standalone adventures, really. Hearts of Stone takes place in the same general area as the other parts of the game, so you could easily move back-and-forth in that case, but Blood and Wine lies exclusively in Toussaint, which you can think of as a kind of medieval France (as the name implies). I would probably do what I did, which is play through the base game and jump into the expansions afterwards. You can always take a break in between the two if you're a little Witchered out at that point. The Season Pass and GOTY versions will probably go on sale for cheap during every major sale in the near future (and probably more often if you're playing GOG versions).
Thanks Warreni, I'll probably do what you did.

I told you that the monthly has gotten crappier.
  It's almost entirely off-the-radar games nobody cares about now.  Games that aren't selling. 

At least next month we'll be getting one good game to look forward to with 'A Hat in Time' though.  Still, that's a lot like buying one game on sale for $12 bucks.  Preceded or followed by one or two months of misses. 

I'm getting very close to cancelling my monthly subscription but I'm going to give it a couple more months to see how it turns out.  That's $120 a year where you could just buy a few AAA games that you really want instead.  I'm all about the good deals at only $12/month, but it simply has to occasionally include a game from your wishlist or else there is no point.

Last edited by a moderator:
I told you that the monthly has gotten crappier.
It's almost entirely off-the-radar games nobody cares about now. Games that aren't selling.

At least next month we'll be getting one good game to look forward to with 'A Hat in Time' though. Still, that's a lot like buying one game on sale for $12 bucks. Preceded or followed by one or two months of misses.

I'm getting very close to cancelling my monthly subscription but I'm going to give it a couple more months to see how it turns out. That's $120 a year where you could just buy a few AAA games that you really want instead. I'm all about the good deals at only $12/month, but it simply has to occasionally include a game from your wishlist or else there is no point.
Eh, the monthly has had consecutive bad months before. It's way too small a sample size to constitute a pattern, and Hat in Time is a pretty great early unlock, so next month has potential to be decent depending on it's unlocks later. We'll see.

OMG HTA IN TIME HAT IN TIME TIME HAT HATTZZ IN TIME!!!!  Not sure why this is so popular.  I guess I'm not a huge fan of Nintendo 64 platformers?  I don't see anything appealing about this game and it's $30 retail price is mostly banking on nostalgia.  Psychonauts for $1 is probably the better game.

Here I kept trying things like

4CEZY-ETBH9-LEFQ-SHELLY-GODFREY

4CEZY-ETBH9-LEFQ-GINA-INVIERE

4CEZY-ETBH9-LEFQ-NATALIE-FAUST

4CEZY-ETBH9-LEFQ-CAPRICA-SIX

etc

I reached the saturation point of Into the Breach after 10 hours. The negatives are piling up more for me.

The amount of mission types seems pretty low, and I guess since I did pretty good in one of my last runs that now even for early islands, I have tougher and varied aliens to contend with. This is OK, but a big problem is you start with the same plain jane mechs all the time. Why is there no even incremental improvements to the mechs game after game? It's sad that you appreciate the starting team more because every mech can attack. Some of the mechs for teams just are not very strong, such as the grapple one. Also only getting exp for killing enemies makes pilots in support vehicles pretty hard to level up. Why no exp for shielding or healing or anything not murdering something?

All in all, it's still a good game, but is feeling samey and the start is usually always the same. Downgrading to 7/10.

I reached the saturation point of Into the Breach after 10 hours. The negatives are piling up more for me.

The amount of mission types seems pretty low, and I guess since I did pretty good in one of my last runs that now even for early islands, I have tougher and varied aliens to contend with. This is OK, but a big problem is you start with the same plain jane mechs all the time. Why is there no even incremental improvements to the mechs game after game? It's sad that you appreciate the starting team more because every mech can attack. Some of the mechs for teams just are not very strong, such as the grapple one. Also only getting exp for killing enemies makes pilots in support vehicles pretty hard to level up. Why no exp for shielding or healing or anything not murdering something?

All in all, it's still a good game, but is feeling samey and the start is usually always the same. Downgrading to 7/10.
You can take an upgraded pilot with you to the next run. The starting mechs are probably the easiest to utilize effectively starting out. The other teams require you think a little more outside the box in their utilization. It can be frustrating to blow several runs learning the ropes on those teams, but they can be good fun when things start clicking.

sound like a downgrade from the all time classic FTL. Man, I could play that game for years

Its an improvement over FTL at least in the "unlocks" section, as you progress you get coin that will help you to get other mechs and you can always keep a pilot from your current run. For instance in FTL you could get other ships but that was it.

Also when you unlock the islands you get to choose the order in which you'll clear them in the following runs.

OMG HTA IN TIME HAT IN TIME TIME HAT HATTZZ IN TIME!!!! Not sure why this is so popular. I guess I'm not a huge fan of Nintendo 64 platformers? I don't see anything appealing about this game and it's $30 retail price is mostly banking on nostalgia. Psychonauts for $1 is probably the better game.
Psychonauts for $40 is the better game because Psychonauts was and still is amazing. God, I really wanna play that again now.

Anyways, I played through A Hat in Time yesterday night and finished it up this morning. Took six hours to get the ending and another four to finding the remaining Time Pieces. I had some gripes: Camera can be problematic, performance issues, and I hate how the game kicks you back to the hub every time you find a Time Piece (although given some of the missions, it does make sense). But I thought everything else was strong. Excellent pacing, solid controls, general platforming feels smooth, and the worlds do a great job of being diverse and unique enough from one to the next, both in theme and the missions they offer.

I felt like Yooka-Laylee was a solid 3D platformer that could only really be enjoyed by long-time fans of the genre. But A Hat in Time strikes me as a game that doesn't require the same level of nostalgia. It's able to stand on its own as a straight-up good game.

Hello good people! Long time no update. First my Steam Summer Sale haul - I purchased a $30 Steam GC from BBY with some reward certificates:

Tomb Raider: Legend
Tomb Raider: Anniversary
Tomb Raider: Underworld
Portal 2
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Bayonetta
Max Payne 3
Vanquish
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Ultimate Edition
Alpha Protocol
Resident Evil: Revelations Complete Pack

Got this from the MS store from Bing reward points:
Resident Evil 7: Gold Edition

PC is officially my platform of choice and it’s bitter sweet - I have a ton of digital titles I already payed for on both Xbox One and PS4 like Dragon Age Inquisition, The Evil Within, just to name a couple but I’m SO tempted to repurchase them on PC. I’ve already double/triple dipped on a few - DMC, Resident Evil 4, Wolfenstein 2, The Witcher 3 GOTY Edition.

Speaking of the Witcher, since my last post, I have completed The Witcher 2 twice - both paths and now I’m starting on The Witcher 3. Now here’s the strange part - I’m still not as “optimization” savvy as I want to be when it comes to playing games on the PC. I spent a lot of time searching for recommended settings for my GTX 1080 to run at 4K close to 60FPS. I downloaded the GeForce Experience and the optimization settings were not as pleasing as I would like - it turned on some ultra settings and Hair Works as well as a few other FPS killers bringing the game to run between 40 and 45 FPS. I turned off Hair Works, set Ambient Occlusion to SSAO from HBAO+ and turn most other settings down from Ultra to Medium. With these settings. I’m running the game at 4K 50 - 55 FPS and it looks and runs great!

I also tried 1080p and ultra settings which runs the game at 60 FPS but to come from 4K to 1080p - the game, even though it runs smooth, looks less crisp and clean. I tried it at 1440p but the picture is out of proportion - I’m assuming that Samsung’s KS8000s can’t display that resolution?

Anyways, I’m having a blast and as always, thanks you guys for guiding me towards a better way to play! [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello good people! Long time no update. First my Steam Summer Sale haul - I purchased a $30 Steam GC from BBY with some reward certificates:

Tomb Raider: Legend
Tomb Raider: Anniversary
Tomb Raider: Underworld
Portal 2
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Bayonetta
Max Payne 3
Vanquish
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Ultimate Edition
Alpha Protocol
Resident Evil: Revelations Complete Pack

Got this from the MS store from Bing reward points:
Resident Evil 7: Gold Edition

PC is officially my platform of choice and it’s bitter sweet - I have a ton of digital titles I already payed for on both Xbox One and PS4 like Dragon Age Inquisition, The Evil Within, just to name a couple but I’m SO tempted to repurchase them on PC. I’ve already double/triple dipped on a few - DMC, Resident Evil 4, Wolfenstein 2, The Witcher 3 GOTY Edition.

Speaking of the Witcher, since my last post, I have completed The Witcher 2 twice - both paths and now I’m starting on The Witcher 3. Now here’s the strange part - I’m still not as “optimization” savvy as I want to be when it comes to playing games on the PC. I spent a lot of time searching for recommended settings for my GTX 1080 to run at 4K close to 60FPS. I downloaded the GeForce Experience and the optimization settings were not as pleasing as I would like - it turned on some ultra settings and Hair Works as well as a few other FPS killers bringing the game to run between 40 and 45 FPS. I turned off Hair Works, set Ambient Occlusion to SSAO from HBAO+ and turn most other settings down from Ultra to Medium. With these settings. I’m running the game at 4K 50 - 55 FPS and it looks and runs great!

I also tried 1080p and ultra settings which runs the game at 60 FPS but to come from 4K to 1080p - the game, even though it runs smooth, looks less crisp and clean. I tried it at 1440p but the picture is out of proportion - I’m assuming that Samsung’s KS8000s can’t display that resolution?

Anyways, I’m having a blast and as always, thanks you guys for guiding me towards a better way to play! [emoji41]
Another thing you could do: use resolution scaling, if its offered in the in-game settings. Render at 4K [to keep the 4K-sized UI], but resolution-scale it down; just scale the percentage or numbers down to what would be 1440p (or something very close to it). IIRC, I don't think W3 has this option in-game though. Some of the other newer games like ME: Andromeda do have this option in-game; can be very useful is you are trying to get a bit more performance & frames, at the expense of losing some graphical quality (just try not to use it too much away from your main rendering resolution, as it looks like garbage otherwise).

I really should look into whether the NVidia Panel or NVidia Inspector can force resolution scaling for a game; or if there are any app's that can force this.

For FPS killers: turn off V-Sync and cap the game at 60fps using MSI Afterburner or using an in-game 60fps cap (since V-Sync wastes lots of frames & performance); turn off Hairworks; use weaker AO settings [like you did] or no AO at all; and use weaker lighting and/or shadow quality. You could mess around and turn off Depth of Field and other stuff too.

OMG HTA IN TIME HAT IN TIME TIME HAT HATTZZ IN TIME!!!! Not sure why this is so popular. I guess I'm not a huge fan of Nintendo 64 platformers? I don't see anything appealing about this game and it's $30 retail price is mostly banking on nostalgia. Psychonauts for $1 is probably the better game.
Why are you so bothered by whether something is popular or not? You're allowed not to like things without having to rationalize why everyone else must be wrong about enjoying something.

But as far as rationalizing, randomly comparing things to "Psychonauts for $1" non sequitur? lmfao, that's new.

For Witcher 3, also check out some optimization guides like this one which detail just how hard each option hits your system.  Although your setup is different (it dates before the 10 series GPUs) you still get a relative idea of how much each option costs. Crank those textures but dial back from Ultra foliage view.

Why are you so bothered by whether something is popular or not? You're allowed not to like things without having to rationalize why everyone else must be wrong about enjoying something.

But as far as rationalizing, randomly comparing things to "Psychonauts for $1" non sequitur? lmfao, that's new.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FnO3igOkOk

MysterD only subscribes to Toaster News.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiSwnWw65Wo

Has anyone played Conan Exiles? It's up on Tremor for 5k coins and I have 19k that I'm trying to dump for anything decent. Trying to decide if it's worth playing at all.

Has anyone played Conan Exiles? It's up on Tremor for 5k coins and I have 19k that I'm trying to dump for anything decent. Trying to decide if it's worth playing at all.
Get it anyway, it's about 1/4 of your coins and you can always sell it if you decide not to redeem it. People are selling it for $7 in the cesspool.

For selling purposes, Conan Exiles seems good, as is the case with many survival games in prior bundles. The newer Humble games on Tremor are keys instead of links, however, which may reduce their value on places like Barter. Did not have any issues with Tremor, but searching the topic does reveal some issues. Canadian PayPal renders selling in the cesspool very ineffective for me, unfortunately.

To concur with the person above, a Hat in Time is great. It places above Yooka-Laylee, and offers a lot more options in terms of visuals and controls, while having more engaging gameplay and better level design.

Also, deciding whether to trade my extra Shiness for Owlboy or Dead Rising 4. Leaning towards Owlboy. Any input?

Gotta love Toaster News; it's so great. DRM-FREE, of course. Physical copy of it, of course, on actual paper - you know, a newspaper...basically. And some of the best news you'll ever read.
Yep. I read Toaster News all the time. You can't beat articles like: Man's Head Explodes In Toaster!, Destruction of the War Ship Jam & Butter the Work of Bagels, and Is Your Toast Racist? for keeping up to date with the fast-paced world we live in today.

Although I haven't completed the home stretch, I'm close enough to start this morning with my Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice thoughts.  TL;DR Probably a great game assuming you're looking for the right things.

Hellblade tells the story of Senua, a young Viking lady who suffers from psychosis and is near constantly accompanied by a chorus of voices in her head.  You'll want to play this game with headphones as these voices will be your companions, regularly offering taunts, suggestions or bits of history as they float around your aural perception.  Senua has had a tough life, being considered cursed by her father and her village but found solace in the love of one man, Dillion.  After Dillion is killed, Senua decides that it's easier to lop off his head, stuff it in a bag, tie it to her belt and hike off the underworld to bring her love back than it is to start dating again.  And so your story goes: unlocking challenges, solving puzzles and defeating enemies to gain access to Hela's realm.  Luckily, Senua is a competent swordswoman, having both watched Dillion train and her own mind "identifying patterns" (plus your head-voices telling you when to evade a blow from behind)

To start, the world is very atmospheric.  The voices around Senua haunt and compel and the visuals are well done although there's usually some sort of film grain or other effect keeping things from being as crisp as I'd like.  Game play is extremely linear with few chances to leave the beaten path and even less to discover when you do.  There are no skill trees or crafting or weapons to be located.  You regularly encounter puzzles which are in the form of "Locate these runes" where you hunt for shapes in the landscape, mixed up by things such as gates or arches that subtly (or dramatically) change the world, fractured views of architecture that come together from a certain angle and other tricks.  Much of the game is walking along, hearing the story come together and solving these riddles.

The other part is combat which is... okay?  When it works, it works splendidly and looks great.  Senua flashes her attacks, parries in dramatic fashion, kicks opponents to knock them off balance and the visuals of her fighting 7' tall animal-skulled wraiths is a delight.  When it doesn't work, you'll find yourself swearing at the small arenas you fight in, the camera that is behind a tree as you're getting crushed or that the game's idea of making a challenge harder is "Add more guys".  I found myself both looking forward to combat to break up the puzzles and dreading it as it often felt like a crap shoot.

All in all, Hellblade gets my recommendation.  If you're looking for an "experience", it delivers in spades.  If you want a technically impressive game, it has that.  A puzzler, it seems pretty good.  Probably the most well acted and best story I've gotten from a video game in a long while. If you're primarily interested in kicking ass, it might leave you wanting.  I wouldn't be surprised to see it in a Humble Monthly at some point (acclaimed game from minor studio) but either from there or on sale, I'd jump on it once you have it.

I'm putting down Into the Breach for a bit. Just too much in a short time, and I feel it's taking away from other games.

Do you guys get like that sometimes when you're playing a game that is hard to beat and will take a while to beat like say Rogue Legacy? I like these games, but sometimes I like games with a clear end that's easier to get to. I do love rogue lites/likes though. It's just backlog woes likely.

I do like the game though, and will return to it in the future.

Now what to play....guess Tokyo Xanadu Ex+ since I only have a bit more to do in that game.

I'm putting down Into the Breach for a bit. Just too much in a short time, and I feel it's taking away from other games.

Do you guys get like that sometimes when you're playing a game that is hard to beat and will take a while to beat like say Rogue Legacy? I like these games, but sometimes I like games with a clear end that's easier to get to. I do love rogue lites/likes though. It's just backlog woes likely.

I do like the game though, and will return to it in the future.

Now what to play....guess Tokyo Xanadu Ex+ since I only have a bit more to do in that game.
Yeah, rogue likes do that to me also, I'll get pretty hooked on them then after dying so many times realize I have no idea when the end will actually come.

I will say though that I wouldn't put Rogue Legacy in that category, pretty much every time you die you can buy some sort of upgrade, so the sense of progression is fairly nonstop even if the game isn't necessarily linear, so even if you're not really good at the game you'll eventually get further through building a better character. Whereas something like Spelunky or Binding of Isaac the progression comes mainly from building your own skill or developing strategies or just figuring out what items are good and which suck.

I came across a Steam thread listing .ini tweaks to remove much of the post processing from Hellblade.  Pity I came across it now but I didn't really think about how much the grain annoyed me until last night when I was looking at screen shots.  Learn from Syntax's Sacrifice and remember to use your PC advantages to the fullest should you play this game.

bread's done
Back