Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
Hey Crew 2 codes are popping up from GPUs (nVidia) but while I would normally not tell one how to spend your money I feel I must say not to buy it... Beta was bad in every way imaginable... Especially with a new Forza Horizon title on the way.

Hey Crew 2 codes are popping up from GPUs (nVidia) but while I would normally not tell one how to spend your money I feel I must say not to buy it... Beta was bad in every way imaginable... Especially with a new Forza Horizon title on the way.
Crew 1 was a freebie at some point from UPLAY.

I wonder if Crew 2's fate at some point later in time could be similar.

It is probably automated and unless it is a big company that sells games through Amazon already (EA, Ubi, etc) it is probably really low on their priorities list.  It will be yet another thing to have to watch out for now on Amazon, if there is a game deal make sure it is offering a Steam key.  Third party sellers were already something you needed to be very careful about in general.

A lot of the fake stuff on Amazon is just knockoff t-shirts and the like but there also was (and I assume still is) a huge problem with counterfeit animal medicines (flea & tick medicines were especially bad) that at best will do nothing for your pet, at worst could make it sick or kill it.  Most if not all of this was/is via third party sellers - there were a few reviews claiming they received fake products sold by Amazon but I have to wonder if they just ordered a product that is no longer effective, I know Frontline and a few others are not doing ANYTHING for ticks/fleas here, you have to use other products.   That said, a lot of the questionable products not sold directly by Amazon did offer prime shipping.

Crew 1 was a freebie at some point from UPLAY.

I wonder if Crew 2's fate at some point later in time could be similar.
I have the first Crew on Steam and can honestly say its far better than what Ive played of Crew 2. Crew had such a stupid B action movie story that it was great. It also had issues with processing its on in game cut scenes due to physics issues which made the game unbelievably funny. Like this gem I actually saved but it surely wasn't isolated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YERFOx_3-R8

The Crew 2... Its just... Lifeless.

It is probably automated and unless it is a big company that sells games through Amazon already (EA, Ubi, etc) it is probably really low on their priorities list. It will be yet another thing to have to watch out for now on Amazon, if there is a game deal make sure it is offering a Steam key. Third party sellers were already something you needed to be very careful about in general.

A lot of the fake stuff on Amazon is just knockoff t-shirts and the like but there also was (and I assume still is) a huge problem with counterfeit animal medicines (flea & tick medicines were especially bad) that at best will do nothing for your pet, at worst could make it sick or kill it. Most if not all of this was/is via third party sellers - there were a few reviews claiming they received fake products sold by Amazon but I have to wonder if they just ordered a product that is no longer effective, I know Frontline and a few others are not doing ANYTHING for ticks/fleas here, you have to use other products. That said, a lot of the questionable products not sold directly by Amazon did offer prime shipping.
The problem here is if something is being listed as sold by Amazon Digital Services you can't really tell it's a third-party seller (apart from being suspicious of the price but we all know glitches happen). It's not like a physical product that you can tell is not being sold directly by Amazon or a mainstream vendor.

I'm sure the Frostpunk sold is a GOG version or something. I haven't bothered downloading it to check. I assume if they remove it from my library they'll refund the whopping $3. Not sure if they will, though, because then you'd have people complaining about being deprived out a legitimate sale -- at least on their end. The burden is on Amazon to perform due diligence especially when it comes to stuff they put out as being provided by their own Digital Services platform.

Wait, so what's up with the Frostpunk game I bought and installed last night from Amazon?  Do I have some virus on my computer now or is it just a pirated DRM free illegal copy? Should I kill it with fire?

Can I get a TL;DR for someone that doesn't want to do a bunch of Twitter and Reddit detective work?

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem here is if something is being listed as sold by Amazon Digital Services you can't really tell it's a third-party seller (apart from being suspicious of the price but we all know glitches happen). It's not like a physical product that you can tell is not being sold directly by Amazon or a mainstream vendor.

I'm sure the Frostpunk sold is a GOG version or something. I haven't bothered downloading it to check. I assume if they remove it from my library they'll refund the whopping $3. Not sure if they will, though, because then you'd have people complaining about being deprived out a legitimate sale -- at least on their end. The burden is on Amazon to perform due diligence especially when it comes to stuff they put out as being provided by their own Digital Services platform.
The thing is: when you rolled over the list of sellers, DRM, or any of that stuff - it said it would be added to your Amazon Account Games & Software Downloads; which is how it works when you buy directly from Amazon.

EDIT:

Yeah, roll over "Download this game & instantly. How it works!" It shows a pop up box and tells you the details of it gets added to the Amazon account and where to download it with hyperlinks & everything.

Since it's still up on Amazon DVG, we'll use Lords of Xulima Deluxe Download as an example:

https://www.amazon.com/Numantian-Games-Lords-Xulima-Download/dp/B06XZKBLYW/ref=dsvrt_myd_asin_block

While it's here: go ahead, roll over "How it works" hyperlink.

I just refunded it. Its was on my short list of games I want to try but frankly it likely wouldn't make it to the front of the line so I might as well wait for a copy I know is legit. Like GMG or something.

Wait, so what's up with the Frostpunk game I bought and installed last night from Amazon? Do I have some virus on my computer now or is it just a pirated DRM free illegal copy? Should I kill it with fire?

Can I get a TL;DR for someone that doesn't want to do a bunch of Twitter and Reddit detective work?
-- Game was on sale cheap as a direct download

-- Devs said "Uh, that's not us"

-- Probably someone who managed to get a GOG DRM-Free copy hosted to sell

-- Haven't heard anyone saying that it's virus ridden, etc just an unauthorized pirated copy

-- I think Fox launched and played FP last night so it's a working copy. Can't claim it doesn't have anything else added but, again, no one has said that it does either. Wait a few days if you want.

-- I got a refund from Amazon but already had it installed. Not really worried if dev won't update it since I'll probably play it for three days and then never touch it again.

I have download, installed, & launched Battle Chasers: Nightwar, Observer, and Lords of Xulima Deluxe.

Yep, those do indeed boot-up and work.

I just refunded it. Its was on my short list of games I want to try but frankly it likely wouldn't make it to the front of the line so I might as well wait for a copy I know is legit. Like GMG or something.
Refunding from Amazon seems like I'd have to spend time chatting with some CS rep... too lazy for that.

Refunding from Amazon seems like I'd have to spend time chatting with some CS rep... too lazy for that.
Well, Amazon DVG had to have sold the game b/c it winds up directly in your Amazon Games & Software Account.

Syntax seems on the money: probably someone else uploaded the game on their own (probably from GOG - since these games are also there) and somehow Amazon's QA (which might be automated...or not) approved the thing for sale.

If you don't want refund - maybe for the ones you bought, you could try to convince CS to give Steam keys for those instead of a refund, if they're willing? Good luck on that one, though.

EDIT:

What a crap-show, though. Really makes Amazon DVG's curation process (which could be automated) look pretty bad.

Geez that's a old photo of Tony. Always nice talking to him at cons. He lost a lot of weight.
For some reason I just remembered that he had gotten a Borderlands tattoo as part of a sales goal or something like that, and he had posted a few pics of himself.

https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/294056-amazon-pcdd-1249-walking-dead-749-after-coupon/page-3#entry9782964

Nice to hear that you hang out with T-Bone at conventions. Tell him CAG always has a spot for him at the table. :)

Well, Amazon DVG had to have sold the game b/c it winds up directly in your Amazon Games & Software Account.

Syntax seems on the money: probably someone else uploaded the game on their own (probably from GOG - since these games are also there) and somehow Amazon's QA (which might be automated...or not) approved the thing for sale.

If you don't want refund - maybe for the ones you bought, you could try to convince CS to give Steam keys for those instead of a refund, if they're willing? Good luck on that one, though.

EDIT:

What a crap-show, though. Really makes Amazon DVG's curation process (which could be automated) look pretty bad.
I mean... I literally do not want to spend any more than two clicks of a button to refund $3. Not going to open a chat and negotiate with someone.

Yeah I think I'm going to chalk this one up to a $3 hit to my wallet. That's fine. Was my fault and I should have known better.

Besides, you don't want to waste one of your amazon "courtesy credits" or however that stuff works that tallies up against you, on some meaningless shit like this. Bc you have no idea how the rep is going to quantify servicing you. You save those for the big ones.

The worst case scenario is you got a $3 DRM free version of the game that won't be updated (at least not without effort on your part, I'm sure through the magic of the internet you could find a way to acquire patches).  It will never hit $3 during any Steam or GOG sale.  Lowest Frostpunk will ever be -- excluding bundling -- is probably $7.50.

Yeah, you could always re-buy the game when it's bundled if you want Steam-keys; to get it on Steam and for patches.

That's as long as it hits a bundle, of course.

Let's hope these do hit bundles one day, of course.

I would love to put these titles on Steam.

Yeah I think I'm going to chalk this one up to a $3 hit to my wallet. That's fine. Was my fault and I should have known better.

Besides, you don't want to waste one of your amazon "courtesy credits" or however that stuff works that tallies up against you, on some meaningless shit like this. Bc you have no idea how the rep is going to quantify servicing you. You save those for the big ones.
We must shop at different Amazons as I've never had an experience like this.

Yeah, my refund literally took one post from me.  Something along the lines of the dev saying it was unauthorized and I would like a refund.

Also, some people work on a theory that Amazon keeps metrics on refunds and courtesy credits and all this other stuff to determine who they keep in good standing and who they ban from the site.  I don't really think there's anything to worry about.  I assume this comes from Slickdeals and all the assholes who abuse everything until they are stopped and have gotten banned from Amazon for abusing the system.  

I've been shopping at Amazon over a decade and they have refunded a ton of stuff, gotten a ton of courtesy credits, and no issues.  Everything was legitimate. 

We must shop at different Amazons as I've never had an experience like this.
I'm referring to the hidden formula. They will comp you $50 at times. Or give you six months of free Prime. Or refund an entire purchase that wasn't delivered. They have excellent CS when you have a problem, but you save them for actual problems. There is an entire algorithm about your profile as a customer to them. People have been banned for taking advantage of the system too many times; kicked out for being an unprofitable customer. So you pick your battles.

The CS agent has a list of abilities in which they can proceed in one of your cases. So when they ask you "would you like a $10 credit to your Amazon account?", you want to accept those types of credits carefully and infrequently. Save them for the big ones. You want to pay for returns on shipping items back to them when it was no fault on their end, like when you change your mind on something small. Those add up and count against you. That kinda thing.

I find that I have few enough issues with Amazon that I can report any legitimate issues without worrying about going over some magic metric.
You need to take advantage of more price mistakes and complain more when they cancel a price mistake order and demand a refund when a steel book you buy has a microscopic dent in it or there is a small damage on the box of a collectors edition game you buy 16 of then return them when you can't flip them for a profit before the return period ends.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/55247

Looks like Aliens: Colonial Marines had a typo in its AI code that made the Xenomorphs act so buggy. Someone tell Tebow that his favorite game is fixed, he can go back to playing it 24/7.
RpsuBqU.gif

So State of Derpcay 2 is turning out worse than I thought.  Apparently Microsoft has bought out its developer Undead Labs and is going full derptard in the DLC department with  a $5 Independence Day DLC for cars and weapons... yep... they're going to nickel and dime it with micro-transactions.  On top of that a Steam release is looking more and more unlikely given Microsoft's full control.

So State of Derpcay 2 is turning out worse than I thought. Apparently Microsoft has bought out its developer Undead Labs...
Phil Spencer announced that at E3 2018, along w/ 3 other studios:

https://venturebeat.com/2018/06/10/microsoft-acquires-state-of-decay-2-studio-undead-labs/

and is going full derptard in the DLC department with a $5 Independence Day DLC for cars and weapons... yep... they're going to nickel and dime it with micro-transactions. On top of that a Steam release is looking more and more unlikely given Microsoft's full control.
Has sales for XBox/Play Anywhere Windows 10 version of State of Decay 2 done well? B/c if it does "meh" on the sales over there, I could see Microsoft maybe putting it on Steam. I mean hell, Killer Instinct is on Steam.

Everytime I see this GIF, I think of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVZUVeMtYXc

Has sales for XBox/Play Anywhere Windows 10 version of State of Decay 2 done well? B/c if it does "meh" on the sales over there, I could see Microsoft maybe putting it on Steam. I mean hell, Killer Instinct is on Steam.
SoD2 is also part of their 'GamePass' or whatever, so you're never going to get digital "sales" numbers, just maybe downloads or 'activity' numbers (whatever the hell that means).

As for the Frostpunk jazz. I really dont care about being out $3, otoh, I dont want to reward a pie-rat. Ugh, having morals is such a hassle! (​Not to mention I work in intellectual property law...)

I don't think MS has a history of putting Play Anywhere titles on Steam. I suspect that's not something they're likely to start doing, either. After all, they really want to drive people through the Windows Store, I mean, Microsoft Store (?!), so it's not smart marketing to take their own studio titles and sell them on other platforms. (Yes, Halo Wars 1 is on Steam, but it's sufficiently old that they probably don't care very much.)

The same type of people that use Windows Store instead of Steam are the same type of people who think that the earth is round. If the earth is round, why don't we fall off the side of the earth? Gravity wouldn't just magically hold us all in place. When you look at the horizon, it's flat. No matter what part of the world you're in, it looks flat and not round when you look. But convince the sheep that the earth is actually round, pay off some "scientists" to tell the sheeple that and suddenly everyone will believe it. Just like they believe 1 x 1 = 2 and all of the other bullshit we're just convinced to accept even though it makes no sense if you actually think critically about it.

So State of Derpcay 2 is turning out worse than I thought. Apparently Microsoft has bought out its developer Undead Labs and is going full derptard in the DLC department with a $5 Independence Day DLC for cars and weapons... yep... they're going to nickel and dime it with micro-transactions. On top of that a Steam release is looking more and more unlikely given Microsoft's full control.
That DLC and the next one(a horde type mode) due in September have been planned for a while and come with the ultimate edition. That's not to say this first DLC isn't trash and the next one won't be either. The game itself is fine but definitely needs some higher difficulty modes to give an actual challenge. There are some bugs and missteps for sure and much like the first it's a love it or hate it game. If you are looking for breakdown type gameplay then you'll want to pass until they hopefully add something similar, but if you want some more of the orginal base game with co-op and randomness but less story than it's decent fun. If you hated the first then thius one won't change your mind.

Preedatore, you honestly sound like someone who has very limited experience with the game if you really think it's the same exact game as the first and has no challenge.

If you are looking for breakdown type gameplay then you'll want to pass until they hopefully add something similar...
Oh, wow, they didn't include a Breakdown mode with initial release? Definitely not worth playing then. The SoD 'campaign' was far too easy to be enjoyable.

Everytime I see this GIF, I think of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVZUVeMtYXc
Oddly, I think that makes Colonial Marines more memorable to me than if the game actually worked correctly... and at the right price a memorable buggy-mess might just be worth that $1 or $2 more than a merely competent piece of forgettable bundle fodder.

About the same.  Had the basic set (and the expert set) then went on to 1e AD&D but never really got into 2e before I stopped.  However, a year or two ago I got an itch to play again and picked up the 5e Player's Handbook and joined a few campaigns.  Some stuff seems like an abomination (race/class homogenization) but I overall found it fun to play and easy to catch up.  Ultimately you're pretending to be an elf in a cave either way so the mechanical framework isn't that important provided everyone understands and agrees to it.

I belong to a Facebook group of 1e/2e players and a lot of guys are genuinely mad at the idea that D&D should be more accessible or -- horrors! -- popular.  "If I had to get punched in the stomach and my books thrown in the creek, why don't they??"  I guess that their outcast status was all they were holding on to that made them special.  Gamers (all styles) are the worst.

bread's done
Back