Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
Well, I'd also place some money on an MMO, because, why not? Turning it into an online-only multiplayer-only game has never ruined a single-player franchise before.
Single-player franchise? I've only played Torchlight 1 and 2 multiplayer.

It sounds like it'll be a pseudo-MMO. A bit of a disappointment, but still sounds better than a squad shooter.

Discord takes on Steam with its own game store

The store's beta, which is due to be rolled out today in Canada, will allow Discord users to buy games from publishers such as THQ and Deep Silver, in addition to games from indie publishers such as Raw Fury (Bad North, Sable and The Last Night). From the list drawn up so far, some of the most noteworthy titles include Frostpunk, Hollow Knight and Dead Cells.

Participants in the current beta will be able to use an upgraded version of Discord Nitro (Discord's monthly subscription service). Subscribers will be able to play a selection of games curated by the platform, which Discord describes as "an easy opportunity to play the golden games you've missed". It's basically like Xbox Live Gold. The games available to subscribers so far include Saints Row: The Third, Metro: Last Light Redux and Darksiders: Warmastered Edition to name but a few. The Discord Nitro subscription service will cost $4.99 per month, or $49.99 per year.

storefront.jpg

There's also good news for indie developers, as Discord will be introducing a new sponsorship programme called "First on Discord". In return for agreeing to launch their indie games exclusively on Discord, developers will receive funding to help make their planned projects a reality. After a period of 90 days, First on Discord titles will become available on other platforms, so the exclusivity agreement is only for the first few months of a game's release. The programme seems like a pretty good deal for developers, and could result in some exciting new indie titles.

Interestingly, Discord is also launching a new feature called "Universal Library". This will allow users to launch any game on their computer using Discord, even if it uses another launcher. Discord users will apparently be able to opt-in to let Discord scan their computer for games, which will let them open up games and their launchers via Discord.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ant Man and the Wasp will also be the last Disney owned film on Netflix as they try to launch their own streaming and content service.  Because that's what I want is additional digital distribution programs and services.  What's crazy is how many people my age are "cord cutters" with their cable but then they subscribe to Hulu, Netflix, maybe HBO, Amazon Prime, they've got their Roku sticks, iTunes accounts, etc.  That doesn't even begin to address gaming platforms: Steam, Battle.net, Origin, Uplay, Twitch, Discord, PSN, Xbox Live, Nintendo eShop, Google Play and on and on....

More digital storefronts prz!

It sounds like it'll be a pseudo-MMO. A bit of a disappointment, but still sounds better than a squad shooter.
I played TL1+2 both SP-style.

This thing of taking existing franchises that are single-player only; or offer the nice option to either play offline SP or with friends online; and then having a sequel or something some iterations later that is online-only is foolish.

ES was SP-only until ESO; FO series was SP-only until FO76; Diablo 1&2 were both offline or online experiences where you had the option to go either way...and then D3 made it online-only; and now here we go again w/ Torchlight Frontiers.

When's Borderlands 3 going to be online-only?

This is getting out of hand.

Who the hell played Borderlands only solo?
giphy.gif

Me.

Give me the option to avoid other gamers when they introduce leveling-scheming in games - yep, you're damn right that I will. I'm gonna play at my own pace on PT #1 (Play-through #1).

In the old days, it was "Let's stick an additional multiplayer component onto everything."

These days, now it's "Let's turn everything into a shared-online online-only MMO-lite/full-blown MMO game."

Bleh @ these horrible trends.

In the old days, it was "Let's stick an additional multiplayer component onto everything."

These days, now it's "Let's turn everything into a shared-online online-only MMO-lite/full-blown MMO game."

Bleh @ these horrible trends.
perhaps your best post ever, D.

This shoehorning into awesome already existing well-established franchises is foolish.

At least w/ games like Destiny 1, Guild Wars, and The Secret World - they were brand new franchises entirely created from scratch to be MMO's. They started out as MMO's w/ their first game, from the jump.

They didn't shoehorn into a game later into the franchise the online-only / MMO-lite / full-flown MMO experience. No, they were built this way from bloody scratch, from Day 1.

How the fuck do you disable these stupid ass "jerk-off streaming their gameplay" windows from auto-opening in Steam? Wasting my goddamn data with some ass hat playing a game I don't give a shit or a shake about. Take your precious Twitch, turn it sideways and then shove it straight UP YOUR ASS!!!

Sorry. I'm just a little irritated.

How the fuck do you disable these stupid ass "jerk-off streaming their gameplay" windows from auto-opening in Steam? Wasting my goddamn data with some ass hat playing a game I don't give a shit or a shake about. Take your precious Twitch, turn it sideways and then shove it straight UP YOUR ASS!!!

Go to your Steam client Shortcut; right-click on the icon; go to Properties; and add this command line to the end of Target line:

-nofriendsui -nochatui

It'll look something like this: "C:\Program files x86\Valve\Steam\Steam.exe" -nofriendsui -nochatui

I have two Steam shortcuts/icons now. One w/ the above command lines in case I don't want to deal w/ friends; and the usual Steam w/ no command line (with all the new Steam Friends stuff forced).

Best of both worlds. Options are available to me.

EDIT:

Whoops, I thought you were looking to disable the Friends stuff.

My fault. I'll leave this here, in case anyone hates the new Friends forced crap.

See DD83's post below for disabling the forced store-page streaming crap.

https://store.steampowered.com/account/preferences

Bottom of page.

Hide all live broadcasts on the store product pages.

Just so you're aware, those monsters you were killing in Torchlight 1 weren't other players.

7-the-big-lebowski-quotes.gif

I only played Borderlands co-op in UVH, since it's so easy to solo in other modes. There's no character scaling and very weak enemy scaling, then you unlock UVH and the real game begins.

Randomly fired up The Chronicles of Emerland Solitaire and played through it.  The game is not worth writing an actual review for but unless you are desperate for a solitaire game, ignore it.  It was not awful but there are better solitaire games on Steam or even free and it has several annoying bugs.  Arguably the worst being that you have levels of ten hands at a time and if you quit without finishing all ten hands, it will count the hand you were on as failed.  You can go back and replay levels but not individual hands so it can be especially irritating when it does that.

I played through all the borderlands games solo for a playthrough and enjoyed it, but the playthroughs with friends were definitely more fun.
Yeah, those games can be really fun w/ other players.

Problem is the usual mess w/ other leveled players, when doing these games. Are all the players on or near the same level? Can you guys sometimes not play together and when you do still be playing enough that when you join back up together, you're still on the same level?

Last thing a player needs is everyone's leveled all over the place - for craps & giggles, say I'm level 2; you're level 35; another guy's level 33; and another guy's say level 20. That's just not fun. Level 2 player is dragging the team down, as that guy is doing probably little damage and will need to get resuscitated all the time.

The other thing is w/ these types of games - when I played Guild Wars 1 way back, my friends were way leveled-up already. And basically, they didn't want to create new char's. But, they tried to drag me along, at my low-level and all. They were decimating everything & I was either being healed or dying all the time. They were doing all the work. This means, I had to do a lot of work on my own to catch up. I wasn't that great at that game, anyways - as I was doing "meh" playing solo. I never really did play too much more...and just basically put the game aside.

Also, since those guys been through the game w/ a few char's already - they always wanted to skip the damn cut-scenes. So, yeah - I was kind of losing out on some of the game's so-called character stuff, story & plot too.

Randomly fired up The Chronicles of Emerland Solitaire and played through it. The game is not worth writing an actual review for but unless you are desperate for a solitaire game, ignore it. It was not awful but there are better solitaire games on Steam or even free and it has several annoying bugs. Arguably the worst being that you have levels of ten hands at a time and if you quit without finishing all ten hands, it will count the hand you were on as failed. You can go back and replay levels but not individual hands so it can be especially irritating when it does that.
This parallels my early reaction to Doctor Who Infinity: you have to commit to getting through at least three levels in one sitting or your progress won't be saved, and the problem is that the turn limits on each board are often very restrictive so it's pretty easy to fail a board over and over again (or give up and skip it, but I'm not a fan of this approach) to the point that it actually takes quite some time to find the solution. And that's probably the biggest change between this game and Tiny Rebel's previous Doctor Who-themed mobile game (Legacy)--this is far more of an actual puzzle game than the original's fairly simplistic (at least initially) match-3 mechanics. Because of the severe turn limit imposed on each level, there is a specific solution (each board always starts with the same number and placement of colored "gems") that requires you to tease it out but also depends to a certain extent on the random-number generator that determines which colored gems replace the ones that disappear as you match them. The story bits aren't engaging enough to really draw me into doing more with it, so I can see fooling with it off-and-on, but I don't know that I'm interested in attempting to finish at this point. If you're not a Doctor Who fan, well, frankly, there are probably far better match-3 games out there.

Who the hell played Borderlands only solo?
tenor.gif

Now, I have and did play with other players, but the game's humor is easy to miss if someone talking, or eating chips, or snorting cocaine off their mic so I honestly suggest to play them solo for that reason. BL 2 more so than BL as the story is more in depth and far better in general.

Edit: In very old news from last weekend... Tried SFV and the latest Tekken. I probably should have skipped story mode on Tekken, I was expecting more arcade story mode not a true story mode like MK/DC games have been doing of late... Anyhow, I wasn't doing enough drugs to really comprehend it. For better or worse it was Tekken. For me worse. Its like my 5th favorite fighting series without really stopping to count.

SFV fun. I likely would have gotten it but solo play (arcade story in this case) didn't seem to generate any of the in game currency... And with classic fighters still in season 3 of the game and the 53 buck price tag... I skipped it again.

Edit: In very old news from last weekend... Tried SFV and the latest Tekken. I probably should have skipped story mode on Tekken, I was expecting more arcade story mode not a true story mode like MK/DC games have been doing of late... Anyhow, I wasn't doing enough drugs to really comprehend it. For better or worse it was Tekken. For me worse. Its like my 5th favorite fighting series without really stopping to count.
Unless I'm confusing it with another, similar game, I think this Tekken game is one of the first things I bought used at GameStop when I got my PS3, and I was so bewildered by the story, I must have returned it the next day. Probably the next most confusing fighting game series that I jumped into the middle of was Dead or Alive 5, but I found that, even though it skipped around in time a lot for no apparent reason, it was far easier to comprehend. I'm one of those oddballs who places a lot of emphasis on the quality of the story mode in almost any kind of game I play, so the latter titles in NetherRealms's series have been very appealing to me.

Also, since those guys been through the game w/ a few char's already - they always wanted to skip the damn cut-scenes. So, yeah - I was kind of losing out on some of the game's so-called character stuff, story & plot too.
I played through both GW games with very little understanding of what was happening because my friends skipped every cutscene. I replayed them all solo just for that purpose. Same thing with FFXIV and a few others games.

I played both Borderlands 1 and 2 solo and some co-op.

Honestly the games are OK enough solo (I think 2 might have been better here....the balance was somewhat off in one I believe). I mainly co-op slower and always try to read the story/watch cut scenes in order to experience it for the better. It is way better co-op, but the story is not that strong anyway, so if you skip some here and there, you'll get the basic jist anyway. 

The problem is even a few levels of difference (mostly in weapon quality) can vastly skew the co-op experience in the Borderlands series. So, unless you have some dedicated friend(s) who won't play until you play then keeping within a couple of levels of each other isn't really possible. Gearbox recognized this weakness by adding raid bosses to Borderlands 2 - suggesting the real coop shouldn't take place until max level when there is no danger of one player outleveling the other.

Sometimes this place feels like a time capsule of 10 years ago.
Maybe the time you spend here would be better suited getting carried in co-op while you eat shit loudly and snort coke off your mic. There's nothing wrong with using forums, and there's nothing wrong with playing easy games solo for the story.

Maybe the time you spend here would be better suited getting carried in co-op while you eat shit loudly and snort coke off your mic. There's nothing wrong with using forums, and there's nothing wrong with playing easy games solo for the story.
Who eats and snorts coke at the same time?!

Besides, I thought we were all injecting crystal meth into our eyeballs now. Right? Right?! RIGHT?!?!?!

Sometimes this place feels like a time capsule of 10 years ago.
Nah, we talk about recent games a lot around here. As a matter of fact, I just spent some time playing Prey yesterday and really enjoyed it. Lots of interesting ideas like spirit walking and portals, although I thought they could've done a little more with the Native American mythology. Still, much better game than Doom 3 IMO.

zGold Bros Alert - Monster Hunter for $40

Load Monster Hunter, Fly O'Clock, Normality and Chompy Chomp Chomp.  Total is $50 which pushes you into the 20% discount and the whole cart comes out to a clean $40 in zGold.  The other games are Steam keys so farm cards, give 'em away on Steamgifts, backlog Monster Hunter to play Fly O'Clock, whatever.

Credit to Cheaplikeafox for coming up with the idea so I could waste office time mix & matching bundle games to hit the magic $50 mark.

Yeah, those games can be really fun w/ other players.

Problem is the usual mess w/ other leveled players, when doing these games. Are all the players on or near the same level? Can you guys sometimes not play together and when you do still be playing enough that when you join back up together, you're still on the same level?
That is the main reason I playthrough it solo, so I can see the cutscenes read quest text and stuff like that. Playing coop we usually skip by those things and no one likes playing with different levels so we make characters that we only use for coop, if someone wants to play a bunch extra they can just do it on a different solo guy.

It's not hard to pull off as long as you play with people of like mind.

https://youtu.be/dG2lJ3mmQC4

QuakeCon 2018 Keynote (Doom Eternal @ 1:09:09)
https://youtu.be/Wd87p39jcQo

bread's done
Back