Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
Played through Episode 1: Awoke yesterday of Life is Strange: Before The Storm, since I bought the Deluxe Edition yesterday. Loved it. Took me about 3.3 hours to get through it.

Max is not here in the Main Episodes (she will be in Bonus Episode "Farewell"), as this is a Prequel and deals w/ Chloe (lead character, who you play as) and Rachel Amber's friendship, 3 years before the original Life Is Strange (from DontNod). Deck Nine, at least w/ this episode, seems like they have done a really good job w/ the dialogue, writing, and maintaining consistently w/ the game-world. Seems to really tie-in extremely well w/ details here, as things that are done and said (which they do hint at and/or allude to) can feel impactful as can be b/c of what you know from the original LiS, if you played it. Sometimes, emotionally, this game can really hit you with a ton of bricks, with the way it does these things - and does them very well.

Since Chloe doesn't have Max's Time Manipulation powers, she has her own skill. Chloe can "Backtalk" in certain instances and cases - which is when you can use their words against them, often laced with tons of insults, to change the outcome & situation that you might've got yourself stuck in. It also seems that without the storm here and looming impending supernatural doom that could occur (at least not yet anyways), this feel much more grounded than DontNod's LiS.

The character development & story here is really good and some choices (which you can see after you finish an episode, seeing what choices you made and compare w/ percentage the world of players & those on your friends list made); some choices that seem throw-away choices and I am not sure if they will matter much later - were listed after the Episode ended. Hopefully, some of these choices: they do matter. Like the original LIS - you will run into situations of bullying, theft, criminal activities, drinking, and other moral things that you can decide to do something about (or not to anything about). But hopefully, in the long-run, they will matter more than the original LIS's decisions did; we'll have to wait and see.

This game ran just fine at 1440p at High settings. No problem at all, 60fps with on my desktop equipped w/ GTX 970. Art design seems consistent with the original LiS & its unique art design, often looking and feeling like it's doing its own cool & artistic take on high school teen-dramas. Game-world and character design might have lots of details here and there, but often it feels like object in the game-world (like posters, your journal, etc) have their own distinct artistic look.

Don't expect tough puzzles or anything, especially when compared to the original LiS. That one here feels even less of a factor here this time on puzzles, as it feels more focused on the decision-making and narrative - not that the original LiS was ever super-heavy on the puzzle elements often found in (older) adventure games.

But so far, Episode 1 was great. And I'm really looking forward to starting Episode 2 already. Hopefully, Ep 2 & 3 are as great as Ep 1. Only time will tell, I suppose.

Played through Episode 1: Awoke yesterday of Life is Strange: Before The Storm, since I bought the Deluxe Edition yesterday. Loved it. Took me about 3.3 hours to get through it.

Max is not here in the Main Episodes (she will be in Bonus Episode "Farewell"), as this is a Prequel and deals w/ Chloe (lead character, who you play as) and Rachel Amber's friendship, 3 years before the original Life Is Strange (from DontNod). Deck Nine, at least w/ this episode, seems like they have done a really good job w/ the dialogue, writing, and maintaining consistently w/ the game-world. Seems to really tie-in extremely well w/ details here, as things that are done and said (which they do hint at and/or allude to) can feel impactful as can be b/c of what you know from the original LiS, if you played it. Sometimes, emotionally, this game can really hit you with a ton of bricks, with the way it does these things - and does them very well.

Since Chloe doesn't have Max's Time Manipulation powers, she has her own skill. Chloe can "Backtalk" in certain instances and cases - which is when you can use their words against them, often laced with tons of insults, to change the outcome & situation that you might've got yourself stuck in. It also seems that without the storm here and looming impending supernatural doom that could occur (at least not yet anyways), this feel much more grounded than DontNod's LiS.

The character development & story here is really good and some choices (which you can see after you finish an episode, seeing what choices you made and compare w/ percentage the world of players & those on your friends list made); some choices that seem throw-away choices and I am not sure if they will matter much later - were listed after the Episode ended. Hopefully, some of these choices: they do matter. Like the original LIS - you will run into situations of bullying, theft, criminal activities, drinking, and other moral things that you can decide to do something about (or not to anything about). But hopefully, in the long-run, they will matter more than the original LIS's decisions did; we'll have to wait and see.

This game ran just fine at 1440p at High settings. No problem at all, 60fps with on my desktop equipped w/ GTX 970. Art design seems consistent with the original LiS & its unique art design, often looking and feeling like it's doing its own cool & artistic take on high school teen-dramas. Game-world and character design might have lots of details here and there, but often it feels like object in the game-world (like posters, your journal, etc) have their own distinct artistic look.

Don't expect tough puzzles or anything, especially when compared to the original LiS. That one here feels even less of a factor here this time on puzzles, as it feels more focused on the decision-making and narrative - not that the original LiS was ever super-heavy on the puzzle elements often found in (older) adventure games.

But so far, Episode 1 was great. And I'm really looking forward to starting Episode 2 already. Hopefully, Ep 2 & 3 are as great as Ep 1. Only time will tell, I suppose.
Like, that's a hella spoiler dude! Like i totally like did not make it through episode 1 of the first game so this is like really bogus of you.. Like

$100 of quality games.
tenor.gif

I haven't done these in a while but I was going to give 15 minute Steam game impressions. So to start my random game picker choose Slime-san.

Time spent: About 20-30 minutes.

Game progress: Done with about 10 levels.

Graphics: Pretty nice graphics overall giving off an old school kind of feel. Mainly colors of green, purple, red, blue. Not a lot of color variety but it all pops. 8/10

Sound: The music rocks for this game. It's a pretty upbeat chiptunes soundtrack. There are some pretty basic noises for your character, but it all comes together alright. 7/10

Story: A slime gets swallowed by a big worm. You are working your way through said worm. That's the whole story. 3/10

Gameplay/Fun Factor: It's pretty much a not as solid jumping wise Super Meatboy clone. Instead of bandages, you collect apples and can find secret areas. You are eaten by a worm and pretty much traversing through it. This is all done through hardcore platforming. You have some special moves and can slow down time to pass through green walls/green enemies and it helps to avoid enemies. There are 4 parts to every level with an apple in each and maybe a secret level. It controls decent enough with the Xbox360 controller.

It plays pretty quickly, and gives a good rush honestly. The jumping doesn't always feel super consistent. Sometimes I jump high with the slime, while other times it's a small hop that needs to be boosted. It is, I believe, not the longest game, but good enough value. The frustration factor isn't a lot, but it could be pretty frustrating. Overall it's a pretty good game, but not as tight or as good as Super Meat Boy. 7/10

Conclusion: Overall I feel it's a good enough hardcore 2D platformer to be played until the end. I had enough fun with it, and will likely finish off the stages. Get in a bundle or on sale.

Last edited by a moderator:
@All AMD users

I'm sure AMD's fine for running new stuff.

But how is AMD for running older titles?

And how are their drivers these days and age? How is upgrading drivers? Do you find yourself rolling back often? Not? Skipping new driver releases?
I had no problems at all with AMD's drivers for my 7850. It struggled on some newer titles, but its performance improved on older titles as new drivers appeared. It showed its age on some more demanding titles, but even then it was my CPU that was more of an issue. When I upgraded from a G3258 to a 4690k GTA 5 went from unplayable and ugly to playable and ugly. (It also held up more when I still was using a 1680x1050 monitor.)

I liked that card. For what I effectively paid it was fantastic, and I used it longer than any other card I've ever had. It followed three straight nVidia cards and was replaced by a nVidia card, but wanting to get away from AMD was not the reason I went with nVidia this time.

Thanks for the insight, Gilby.

So, I'm curious: why did you go w/ NVidia this time? Found a great deal on one and couldn't resist? Wanted G-Sync? Really liked what NVidia is doing this time around? Other reason?

And what NVidia card are you using?

Please, all AMD users - share your thoughts on their cards; especially if you have a RX 580 8GB.

I'm at the point where if I'm in for $200 for an AMD 580 I might as well throw in another $200 for an Nvidia 2060... presuming they'll be $400. Over $400 and I might just say fuck mid-high end gaming cards until some sanity comes back into the pricing. For something that is a relatively disposable purchase (2-4 years on average) I don't see the justification in such major price increases outside of exploiting the mining craze and 'scarcity' (which itself is partially manufactured).

I'm at the point where if I'm in for $200 for an AMD 580 I might as well throw in another $200 for an Nvidia 2060... presuming they'll be $400. Over $400 and I might just say fuck mid-high end gaming cards until some sanity comes back into the pricing. For something that is a relatively disposable purchase (2-4 years on average) I don't see the justification in such major price increases outside of exploiting the mining craze and 'scarcity' (which itself is partially manufactured).
Are tou really that dense? To make the components in these newer cards, Nvidia needs to mine rare deposits of Unobtainium, that shit don't grow on trees you know!

So, I'm curious: why did you go w/ NVidia this time? Found a great deal on one and couldn't resist? Wanted G-Sync? Really liked what NVidia is doing this time around? Other reason?
I went Nvidia last time because AMD cards were extremely overpriced and scarce due to mining. There isn't even a real value calculation to be made when one brand isn't on the shelf at all.

I cannot answer for him, obviously, but my current card (970) is actually the first nvidia card I've ever owned... My reason for changing was after troubleshooting for a few hours I figured out why every time I went into a certain cave in Diablo III was because I had an AMD card. It had been a known issues for far longer than it should have been. And the issue wasn't Blizzard's fault. AMD need to fix an issue with their drivers.

Now, I have a GSnyc enabled monitor... So I don't really see how I could change back to AMD even if I really wanted too... I can just hope that AMD keeps the pressure on.

Edit: Just to clarify. I didn't go out to buy a new card that day just to get in to that cave... It was just fresh in my mind when I upgraded a month or so later.

I had a Sapphire RX 480 8GB (plain card) and sold it cause I needed the money, then got a new LG IPS DisplayPort 1080p/75hz monitor with Freesync, and then I got a MSI GTX 1060 6GB Gaming X (with factory OC and great cooling) cause I got it cheap.

-I find the GTX 1060 6GB performance scaling lower than the RX 480 8GB on almost all new games, specially those that use heavy DX12/Vulkan.
-Cant get 1080p/75hz at max settings on newer games, 1060 reachs 100% gpu usage.
-Most new games surpass 6GB VRAM. NVidias plan to everyone get a 1070 8GB is working great... :S
-Of course I cant take advantage of Freesync.
-I liked a lot newer AMD drivers interface and really hate NVIDIA interface, its been YEARS they havent improved them.

I always find NVIDIA cards get obsolete before AMD cards. RX 480 8GB is more futureproof than 1060GB in my eyes, for the VRAM, for superior Vulkan/DX12 performance.
Im trying to sell the 1060 and get the 580 again, specially for Freesync.

I just hope AMD releases great cards with great price/performance to compete with NVIDIA, and hope all miners go to hell.

Cheers :)

Forgot to add that I have an overclocked i5-8400 at 3.7 and 2x8GB DDR4 at 2400. Super happy with how it performs.

Yeah I hope AMD releases some new cards too.  This pseudo-monopoly that Nvidia has is not good for anyone.  I completely agree that the 580 with those three free new games for around $200 is the best deal for someone building on a budget. 

I had two Powercolor AMD graphics cards (7850 and a R9 290) and besides being loud, they ran great for 1080p gaming! They were priced really good too! Only game I remember having issues with is Typing of the Dead which has problems with all AMD cards. I believe there is a work around though.

I recently got a 4K tv, so I upgraded to a PNY GTX 1080 about 2 months ago for 4k gaming. Wanted to try an Nvidia card for the first time in 10 years. Was having a ton of problems right out the gate with it. Screen was constantly flickering while playing any games, thought it was my HDMI cables or the card. But after a-lot of troubleshooting discovered it was the drivers. Had to find a random beta driver on the forums to fix it. I remember people talking about how shit AMD drivers are, I never had much of any problems as long as I installed the stable ones.

Then I was having major issues with some games not booting, discovered uninstalling NVidia Geforce experience solved this. Never had issues like this with AMD's similar software called AMD settings.

Speaking of AMD setting, that software runs pretty well. Geoforce Experience is a total POS and requires a login as well for god knows what they want to track on your PC. Since I had to uninstall it, I have to look for driver updates manually now which is a bit of a pain.

Besides these problems, the GTX 1080 is a great card and is pretty quiet compared to my Powercolors. In the hopefully far future when I have to upgrade this card, I will most likely choose whatever card gives the best bang for the buck. Screw brand loyalty!

Weird, the driver and the game support is basically the main reason I go with Nvidia these days, and that goes back to permanent mental scarring from Radeon card issues during the turn of the century. 

Went from a Sapphire R9 290X to SLI EVGA 970's to a lone 970 to a Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury. Also, while SLI'd I went from 16:9 1440 to 21:9 1440. Freesync vs Gsync prices affected my monitor purchase and I have no terrible regrets sticking with the red team. I was hoping Vega would be the answer to my desire for 1080 TI performance, but wait I shall. Hated (lack of) SLI scaling in many games. I have more issues gaming at 21:9 vs 16:9 than I do AMD vs Nvidia.

Speaking of AMD setting, that software runs pretty well. Geoforce Experience is a total POS and requires a login as well for god knows what they want to track on your PC.
I agree with this.

Please, all AMD users - share your thoughts on their cards; especially if you have a RX 580 8GB.
The market for cards this spring was rough. I was basically watching for reasonably priced used cards on craigslist and various forums, trying to stay under $150. I had to go a bit over that, but got a decent deal on a 1060. If I hadn't found it I probably would have ended up going with a 780 or a R9 280x because anything newer was terribly priced. (Or I would have just waited and hoped for at least a small price crash.)

Normally, I go for bang for the buck on vid cards at the time I get an itch to upgrade. Some years back the best deal I could get was a 7970. Had that for a number of years and upgraded to a 295x2 - Liked the card and it was AMD's top of the line card for a while, but I had issues with the cooling on the card making noise. XFX didn't have any replacements so they swapped me for a Fury X. A few months back, I got an itch for an ultrawide monitor. Since I was on AMD, it had to be Freesync. So I got a 34' ultrawride, which I'm pretty happy with. but then, since I havd upgraded from 1080p to 1440p UW, the Fury X was struggling in some games. With a relatively new Freesync monitor, no way I was going to go NVidia - even though bang for buck seems to be better this gen on team green. So I found a used Vega 64 LC on eBay and I'm rolling with it since last week.

TLDR 1 - I used to be all about the value, but since buying a Freesync monitor, I feel locked in to AMD cards.

Since you're all so interested, I damaged my PCIe slot pulling out the Fury X. Since it's a 2 slot card and was next to my big tower Phanteks cooler, I had a lot of trouble getting to the clip at the end of the slot and the slot separated from the MB. Never had anything like this happen before. So the Vega 64 went in the other PCIe slot. Everything booted up without issue so I got very lucky, but it's nagging at the back of my brain that I have a damaged MB. So now I'm researching parts to upgrade MB, CPU, and RAM. Currently running an i5 3570K so it's been quite a few years since my last PC build. I'm looking at an 8700k or 8600k, an ASRock MB, and 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RAM.

TLDR 2 - Anyone got a spare $800 lying around?

TLDR 3 - Anyone interested in a used Radeon Fury X Liquid Cooled AiO? Runs great, non-smoking home, adult owned. :bouncy:

things & stuff
ha! It would seem a lot of us are in the same area, with 5-7 year old processors that we feel are like in dire need of an upgrade. I, too, have an i5 3570k build. I thought I was going to do a Ryzen build, because it is SO cheap. Cheap like the 580 because you can get a Ryzen 5 2600 + midrange mobo for right around only $260. I was getting excited to go the AMD route. It's by far the best way to build on a budget. Plus freesync monitors are so much cheaper by comparison.

But then I did a bunch more reading and realized that for single threaded gaming usage, the Intel chips are just better. For a single threaded game, the brand new Ryzens benchmark similarly to our 6 year old i5s. Also that CPUs simply aren't that much of a bottleneck, not until you hit the high end with GPU and other components.

Anyhoo, if I had to buy something today I'd probably get an i5 8600k because that's all you need for a gaming rig. You pay a lot more for those extra cores and threads (and on the 8700k and i7's and i9's in general). Even though I bought some RAM that was ideal for Ryzen, I am kind of waiting for the new i9 9900k's to drop in October because I think I'm going to look into getting the i5 9600k if it's affordable. We're so close that we might as well wait a couple more months. The 8600k costs about $230 right now and the 9600k should launch ~$250. Most of us don't need to buy the $320-$450 high-end consumer i7 or i9, nor drop that extra hundo on a mobo. It's at least 200 bucks more than is necessary just to have an 8700k.

Sorry to hear about your motherboard. I hope your GPU isn't running at 4x or 8x instead of 16x in the second PCIe slot now :x

ha! It would seem a lot of us are in the same area, with 5-7 year old processors that we feel are like in dire need of an upgrade. I, too, have an i5 3570k build. I thought I was going to do a Ryzen build, because it is SO cheap. Cheap like the 580 because you can get a Ryzen 5 2600 + midrange mobo for right around only $260. I was getting excited to go the AMD route. It's by far the best way to build on a budget. Plus freesync monitors are so much cheaper by comparison.

But then I did a bunch more reading and realized that for single threaded gaming usage, the Intel chips are just better. For a single threaded game, the brand new Ryzens benchmark similarly to our 6 year old i5s. Also that CPUs simply aren't that much of a bottleneck, not until you hit the high end with GPU and other components.

Anyhoo, if I had to buy something today I'd probably get an i5 8600k because that's all you need for a gaming rig. You pay a lot more for those extra cores and threads (and on the 8700k and i7's and i9's in general). Even though I bought some RAM that was ideal for Ryzen, I am kind of waiting for the new i9 9900k's to drop in October because I think I'm going to look into getting the i5 9600k if it's affordable. We're so close that we might as well wait a couple more months. The 8600k costs about $230 right now and the 9600k should launch ~$250. Most of us don't need to buy the $320-$450 high-end consumer i7 or i9, nor drop that extra hundo on a mobo.
For me, the thing is that the 3570k runs great. I really haven't thought CPU tech has advanced so far as to make the 3570k obsolete. most games run just fine, and CPU hasn't really seemed like a bottleneck. While I suppose some tasks like unzipping or audio or video encoding may run faster, I don't think upgrading is going to result in many more frames per second. It's just so hard to justify the cost of new MB, CPU and memory for an incremental upgrade in performance.

Yeah in most cases I think it's good to kinda wait until something on the mobo dies, and then you can think about replacing it.   Like in your current situation.

I used to have a 7950 which worked well.  I think it might still be humming along in someone's build right now since I passed it along and then it got passed along again.  I replaced it with an R9 290X which was a great card and I still have at home in my secondary "family" computer that my son uses to leech off my Steam Family Sharing.  But when I decided to finally put my i7-860 out to partial pasture (now the before mentioned family computer) and make a new build from scratch, AMD wasn't really an option so I went with the GTX 1080 that was just a little ($20?) above MSRP during the height of mining mania.  I also went with an i5-8600K build that's done me fine so far.  Supposedly the next generation of processors will use the same boards so maybe I'll update it someday but I'm not really worried.  I ran that i7-860 for a good seven or eight years before replacing it.

Honestly, I haven't had a beef with either side of the coin.  My AMD cards have worked great and offered excellent performance for their price.  My 1080 was far enough ahead of the curve that I don't need to worry about upgrading.  I never notice screen tearing so whose Sync is Syncing doesn't matter to me.  I'm gaming at 1080p on a 27" screen and until 4K screens at 30"+ are "cheap", I have no interest in buying a new monitor anyway because I'm not going to downsize in screen real estate.  Neither brand card has given me any significant driver issues and I barely touch their software suites.

So will the price of AMD 580's stay fairly stable after the Nvidia 20X0's come out? If the 2060's are some really ludicrous price I could just cheap ass it for a couple of years. Also any issues with AMD GPU's and Intel Processors?

So will the price of AMD 580's stay fairly stable after the Nvidia 20X0's come out? If the 2060's are some really ludicrous price I could just cheap ass it for a couple of years. Also any issues with AMD GPU's and Intel Processors?
I didn't see any. After a good decade with AMD processors and nVidia cards I went with an Intel processor and AMD card last time around. I never really had issues with drivers for any of my video cards. I do find the AMD GPU drivers I'm forced to use on the A10 I'm using in my HTPC a bit of a pain, though, mostly as they switched that to legacy way too quickly.

The Last Remnant (PC) is being removed from Steam & digital distributors soon - Sept. 5th in Japan & Sept. 4th in NA & EU:
https://steamcommunity.com/games/23310/announcements/detail/1709566654679120493

Hi everyone,

We will soon be discontinuing digital and physical sales of The Last Remnant on PC.

Sales will cease at the times below:whistle2:

Japan region: Wednesday 5th September, approximately 2:00 (JST)
NA region: Tuesday 4th September, approximately 10:00(PDT)
EU region: Tuesday 4th September, approximately 17:00(GMT)

Anyone already owning the game will still be able to play as per usual.

Thanks to everyone who’s adventured with the Mitras, Yamas, Qsitis and Sovanis!

Yeah I hope AMD releases some new cards too. This pseudo-monopoly that Nvidia has is not good for anyone. I completely agree that the 580 with those three free new games for around $200 is the best deal for someone building on a budget.
Considering the AMD and Nvidia CEOs are family (first cousin once-removed i think?), I'm quite pessimistic that they will challenge each other's market segment in the near future.. (til 2020 earliest perhaps with next consoles gen?) Even so, I personally think they'll hold hands and embrace the new price point that they can abuse with the next "it's due to the mining/supply shortage!" excuse

Meanwhile, Nvidia increases their price of their entire lineup so I dunno if we will even see a respectable 2050/60 this generation... they might just gimp it so much/price it so badly, that it'll make you make do with just an AMD/intel onboard or suck it up and move up to the next tier and buy the 70s...

Speculations aside, in these last few years, AMD seems to be focusing more on their processors and Intel with the onboards with their Ryzens, as well as the servers/workstations market segment and ignoring the mainstream desktop market. If you look at their most recent investor presentation slides, the bars for both the "embedded and consoles" and "premium/pro" markets outsize the "mainstream" market, so I think that's where they'll be focused on sadly...

Oh, when will we get the next DRAM price-colluding/class action suit? The china one didn't seem to come to anything..

I'm another I5-3570K'er. I have mine up at 4.4ghz but i'm feeling the pain and need to upgrade.
My custom desktop has an i7 950. Damn, all y'all with 3000's and 4000's on desktop PC's made me feel way behind, in that regard. That desktop also has 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970, more regular HDD's than I can shake a stick at, W7 64-bit.

Then, there's my laptops - which are more up-to-date w/ newer CPU's.

My older laptop Acer Nitro has this: Intel i7 4720HQ @ 2.6 Ghz (4th Gen. Haswell), Windows 10 64-bit**; 16 GB DDR3 RAM; 4GB VRAM GeForce GTX 960M; 15.6'' 4K Ultra HD Screen 60hz; Seagate 2TB HDD 5400RPM.

SC15 laptop is loaded i7 7700HQ, GTX 1060 6GB, G-Sync 120 hz 15.6'' monitor, 16 GB DDR4, 256 SSD (OS boot) + 1 TB HDD (storage), Thunderbolt 3 port, W10 64.

I seem to be mostly gaming on my Desktop PC and SC15 these days.

I do wonder why they'd pull their own game. Is there any 3rd party music or anything of that sort in The Last Remnant?

Or is it just that they are planning a Remaster?

My custom desktop has an i7 950. Damn, all y'all with 3000's and 4000's on desktop PC's made me feel way behind, in that regard. That desktop also has 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970, more regular HDD's than I can shake a stick at, W7 64-bit.
FYI with something like a 950 you could very well be bottlenecking that 970, you'd need something closer to like a 2600 to not bottleneck it. Happens fairly often these days, like even the intel 3xxx 4xxx can bottleneck the 1060/70/80's, had many friends who ended up doing new builds because their cpu's were holding back their new gpus

Newegg has an MSI RX 580 8GB for $230 - has a $30 rebate and you can use Masterpass coupon to bring it down to $175 after rebate and coupon.  It's  single fan design and the reviews aren't the best but it's pretty cheap.  Comes with the 3 games which you can redeem or sell.  I think going rate on ebay is around $40. 

Newegg has an MSI RX 580 8GB for $230 - has a $30 rebate and you can use Masterpass coupon to bring it down to $175 after rebate and coupon. It's single fan design and the reviews aren't the best but it's pretty cheap. Comes with the 3 games which you can redeem or sell. I think going rate on ebay is around $40.
Come clean: How much is AMD paying you?

Newegg has an MSI RX 580 8GB for $230 - has a $30 rebate and you can use Masterpass coupon to bring it down to $175 after rebate and coupon. It's single fan design and the reviews aren't the best but it's pretty cheap. Comes with the 3 games which you can redeem or sell. I think going rate on ebay is around $40.
Is that the armor 8G? Amazon is selling it for the same price although no Masterpass coupon to add. I may default to that if Nvidia wants $450+ for a 2060.

Is that the armor 8G? Amazon is selling it for the same price although no Masterpass coupon to add. I may default to that if Nvidia wants $450+ for a 2060.
Newegg links never work so here's the SD link:

https://slickdeals.net/f/11973803-msi-radeon-rx-580-8gb-8g-v1-video-card-amd-game-bundle-200ar-newegg-175-w-mpco?v=1&src=pdw

It's not Armor. If the difference is only like $25 I might just go with Armor over this blower. MSI is supposed to have good CS, but you don't want the hassle.

Meanwhile, Nvidia increases their price of their entire lineup so I dunno if we will even see a respectable 2050/60 this generation... they might just gimp it so much/price it so badly, that it'll make you make do with just an AMD/intel onboard or suck it up and move up to the next tier and buy the 70s...
I don't know if there will even be a purpose to a 2050 or a 2060. The 2080 is just a tick higher than the 1080, but has immense gains in raytracing. Same with the 2070; it's a tick better than the 1070 Tflops benchmark but with a bunch of raytracing cores added. But those are RTX cards.

The 50 and the 60 are going to be GTX cards. They aren't going to have that kind of raytracing ability. So going by congruent core count, and Tflops of the other cards, unless some major changes are made they are pretty much going to be the same thing as the 1050 and the 1060. I really don't get it.

I see NewEgg has the 8gb RX 570 for $150 after $20 promo & $30 mail-in.

How does that compare to the RX 580?

Also, if anyone wants my graphics card origin story, here goes:

Computer started acting up around December.  Initially was going to do the only logical thing at the time, which was upgrade to a GTX 1080 because it was the only card selling at MSRP.  Tried to do that, but my cheapass ways got in the way.  First time I ordered one from Newegg off ebay but they screwed me with no free game since they don't honor free game purchases on ebay so I returned that one.  Then I ordered one of Warehouse Deals and that thing was obviously a damaged return/scam by someone as the board was scratched so returned it.

By the time my GTX 1080 dance had ended I had missed a deal on a 6GB 1060 mini.  My bro and bro in law got in on that deal - $185!!!  So after that I found myself in a position where cards were basically MSRP for a week so I was left with the decision to pay around $300 for a 1060 or 580 or jump to $400 for a 1070.  Found an ASUS ROG Strix 580 for $285 and jumped on it.  Why?  Didn't want to jump all the way to $400 and if I'm overpaying I figured I'd feed my fan boy side and also leave the option open for a much cheaper Freesync monitor down the line.  The ASUS was MSRP because it's one of those fancy gamer cards with 3 fans, RGB lighting, and it is a TOP card which means they just select the  "best" cards capable of being factory OC'd to a certain level.  So I was happy overpaying for that versus a regular 580.  

At this point, I don't really think you can go wrong with either card.  People citing AMD driver issues from 2 decades ago are idiots.  As you can read here, some people are going to get bad cards or have issues with drivers on both sides of the fence.  I haven't had any significant issues with my card and drivers.  I think I had to roll back drivers once for some bronight game I don't even remember.  I've played everything from the newest fakey bros to Wolf 3D on it and had no issues.  It gets around 60 FPS on PUBG which is all that matters.  The performance is on par with what my bro and bro in law get on their 1060 6GB.  

I'm an AMD fan boy because I'm cheap and AMD has usually been cheaper.  I used a 7950 before this and it was freaking awesome period, forget how old it is.  Gave it to my other brother and it is going strong.  I had a GTX card a few gens back and it was fine too.  It was the best card I had owned up to that point.  

So get what you want.  I don't know what 1060s are going for right now, but for around $200 (or less) and with the current free game promos, a 580 is the best value in a graphic card right now. 

bread's done
Back