Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
Another crappy thing about the origin store on top of making you buy items one by one is that upon buying the ME3 dlc pack it tells me I own a few items that come in that pack already, but doesn't tell me which items those are.  So instead of giving me a handy list to compare what comes in the pack with what I already own (like what steam does) I have to look all this shit up individually to see if its still worth buying the pack or not.  You would think the main goal of a storefront would be to make buying items the simplest and least hassle it can possibly be.  Apparently the origin devs forgot this part.

Having more information is never bad.  And I don't presume the first and only source of information someone will get about a game is from a in-client review but at least it's a starting point.  And frankly, the only thing I'm looking for in a review is technical failings of a game and/or how much support it gets.  Stuff like 'good story, super fun, etc' are highly subjective so I rarely give the opinions of others credence in those areas.

Last edited by a moderator:
And frankly, the only thing I'm looking for in a review is technical failings of a game and/or how much support it gets.
This is also where hosted forums are helpful. If I see a product on Steam with an online component, it's nice to check the Discussions and see if it's "Servers Dead, Does Anyone Play This???" or "No Updates Since 2017"

Not having forums (or reviews) just makes it more difficult for the consumer to know what they're buying. I'm sure it's great for developers who don't want "toxic" posts/reviews though.

Epic's client just seems rushed so they could hurry up and get sales. Ostensibly to woo other potential developers into signing EXCLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSIVE rights agreements. If you don't have a minimally functioning store front then no one is going to sign with you.

Travis Baldree (Rebel Galaxy: Outlaw) said a great feature of Epic's client is 'direct e-mail access to developers' or something to that effect. Meanwhile there is no evidence that feature even exists... never mind not even a forum.
Devs have access to your email, not other way around. So they can spam you about updates and illegally* well hidden option to opt out of this.

* Illegal in EU, Epic doesn't give a fuck and they even defend this on twitter.

Devs have access to your email, not other way around. So they can spam you about updates and illegally* well hidden option to opt out of this.

WTF? How is that a good thing for consumers?

GMG is having a squeenix sale. Something i didn't know is the Secret of Mana remake msrp is 40 dollars (lol). Chrono Trigger is half off, with the voucher applied (GMG12) it's 6.60. Deus Ex mankind divided digital deluxe edition is 5.34 with the voucher, which is a great deal, Just Cause 3 XL edition is the same price. This is probably also a decent time to buy final fantasy games as they never seem to get lower than 1/2 off, so with the voucher you can get them a bit cheaper

I'm noticing a ton of those cheap trash bundles on Steam only allow you to purchase as a gift if you own any of the games in the package. Is there a workaround for the +1?

What is funny to me about Final Fanasty games and pricing; FF 13 is cheaper than 9. why?
FF9 is a just much better game than FF13.

FF9 is one of the best games in the franchise.

FF9 PC on Steam is a remaster and was released later than FF13 PC, too.

EDIT:
For me, FF6+7 was the pinnacle of the FF series.

And riding right behind those is FF9.

GMG is having a squeenix sale. Something i didn't know is the Secret of Mana remake msrp is 40 dollars (lol). Chrono Trigger is half off, with the voucher applied (GMG12) it's 6.60. Deus Ex mankind divided digital deluxe edition is 5.34 with the voucher, which is a great deal, Just Cause 3 XL edition is the same price. This is probably also a decent time to buy final fantasy games as they never seem to get lower than 1/2 off, so with the voucher you can get them a bit cheaper
Only thing: still could be cheaper to buy FF4 (original) & FF4: The After Years (sequel) in that bundle on Steam for $11.49 - https://store.steampowered.com/app/312750/FINAL_FANTASY_IV/

$12.67 is the cost, if I buy them both from GMG, after 12% off coupon.

$12.24, if you have the 15% off VIP coupon.

Still, I think I can wait on FF4+TAY.

This is what I was thinking but I was too lazy to investigate to see if it was accurate.

I'm noticing a ton of those cheap trash bundles on Steam only allow you to purchase as a gift if you own any of the games in the package. Is there a workaround for the +1?
Yep. Go to each page for the games you own, select "Get Help" and then choose "Remove this game from my account." They get removed automatically, but the site doesn't update until you do a Shift+F5 refresh to clear Chrome's cache for that page.

Yep. Go to each page for the games you own, select "Get Help" and then choose "Remove this game from my account." They get removed automatically, but the site doesn't update until you do a Shift+F5 refresh to clear Chrome's cache for that page.
If you're buying most of those bundles, "Get Help" is probably good advice.

How else am I supposed to increase the size of my e-peen? I'm trying to impress all the gamer girls.
nicolas-cage-laugh.gif

Tech Talk time again, bros.  So if my motherboard only has 4 fan headers does a CPU cooler fan take up one of those header slots?  I know you can get splitters but wondering if I should buy an extra case fan or two to go with the two included.

Tech Talk time again, bros. So if my motherboard only has 4 fan headers does a CPU cooler fan take up one of those header slots? I know you can get splitters but wondering if I should buy an extra case fan or two to go with the two included.
Depends on the board. All will have a dedicated cpu fan header labeled as such. Whether that gets counted overall as a fan header depends on the manufacturer. Case fan headers are usually labeled as "sys_fan" or chassis fan. Many boards these days also come with "opt_fan" which is usually meant for a water pump's power.

Look at your mobo's manual for a board diagram.

Owners of Subnautica: Epic Store version been using Steam Forums to get support on getting the game to run & even a dev chimed in:

https://www.pcgamer.com/epic-games-store-users-have-been-turning-to-steam-for-subnautica-support/
No surprise and one more reason all the excuses were bs. Just be honest devs, you did it for the money. Its fine. I've had to go to the steam forums for bug troubleshooting and mod support for gog versions before.

I'm not surprised subnautica now boots the epic client either as I've had another game do that from the start.

This may become the first Steam seasonal sale since holiday 2012 in which I don't buy anything (since summer 2013 I think all my Steam purchases have been through wallet funds from card sales).

My Moobification is complete. I feel neither joy nor disappointment in response to Steam sales.

I never did get around to cutting the rest of the fat from my wishlist, but removing 700+ games definitely reduced the chance of buying random cheap junk just to buy something. I've checked the hidden gems recommendations at SG and r/gamedealsmeta - nothing really grabs me. What might have will be cheaper in the future.

My only holiday sale acquisitions are GOG Connect freebies.

ICuelG4.gif

I might not buy anything from the sale as well, if I don't it'll be the first winter or summer sale I don't buy any games in basically since I created my account. I have 15 dollars steam wallet so maybe i'll splurge on something, most of the stuff on my wishlist with half decent discounts is bundle trash that if i was making my wishlist again i wouldn't put on it

You guys are missing out. I check my feed to see what the cool kids are buying and it seems like Ultimate Hardbass Defence, Bean Battle, and Zombie Parking are the games all the kids want this Christmas.

I bought the old school Sam and max adventure game that was added to steam recently and the last few monkey island games I was missing. Might buy hunt:showdown due to pressure from friends but other than that nothing is really grabbing my attention.

So.  Remember Grimoire?   After finally releasing the game he had been threatening to release for a couple of decades or so, Cleve put it on Steam with a small discount and said it would never be discounted again.   

And then it wasn't long before it was on sale for $29.99.  And a while after that the price permanently dropped to $19.99 (it was $39.99 originally) .  And now the game that would never be discounted is 50% off, so at $9.99 it is being sold at one-fourth of the original asking price which was never, ever, going to be discounted again after launch.    So ya'll can go buy that.   :roll:

I liked it a lot months ago when I first got it and they have added a ton to it since then so I assume it is better if anything.  It is a nice looking casual fishing game that isn't super realistic but also isn't grindy and full of micro-transactions like the more realistic fishing games are.  I thought I was going to be playing it a lot when I picked it up, I just have the attention span of a puppy.  I actually played it at a relatives house and liked it enough to want to pick it up.  Her husband is super into fishing and plays Russian Fishing 4 a lot and some other fishing game, but the other games are super grindy or super expensive, depending on how you play them. 

We played one of those for a while, not sure if it was the Russian Fishing one or Fishing World or what, but I liked this better, having to deal with realistic fishing conditions like losing lures in underwater brush, fishing for hours without a bite, spending a fortune on line/lures/etc.  just isn't very fun to me when it doesn't come with all of the upsides of real fishing like actually being out on a freaking lake enjoying nature all around you.  This is... arcade-like, I guess?  Like if the other fishing games are Project Cars or something, this is Need for Speed Hot Pursuit or whatever.  :shrug::

Unless something has changed the multiplayer was a bit silly, you just see these weird clear vaguely person-shaped things where other players are.   But you can do it mp/coop at least.  If I remember I'll fire it up sometime over the next few days and play for a while and see what it is like now.

I'll be honest, the only thing perking my interest (besides Skyrim VR on a diff site) is the Jurassic Park 75% off game.  But I don't know if it'll amuse me long term.

How's Far Cry 5, BTW?

Namely, compared to FC3 and FC4?

I loved FC3 and did like FC4.

Ain't got around to FC: Primal, it's in the backlog.
it is somewhat different than fc3 and 4 and almost identical to far cry primal, it's hard to explain if you've never played primal so it's a shame you have that backlogged

Bros, I've shamelessly decided to go RGBzzzzz.  Mostly because from what I'm seeing a lot of CPU coolers aren't AM4 compatible without sending away for an additional bracket.  The Deep Cool Gammax series, though, seems to be compatible right out of the box.  And it's moderately priced.  Now just gotta pick between three to five RGB fanzzzzz.

Frankly, I find your argument that stores shouldn't host reviews because it puts YouTubers out of work to be the least compelling argument that there could possibly be.
Well, then it's a good thing I didn't say anything even remotely like that. Where on Earth did you come up with talking about Youtube reviewers? Not from me, that's for sure. I barely touch Youtube for anything, and if I do, it's probably muted so I don't have to hear their useless talking.

Finally, your suggestion that the only appropriate way for there to be reviews on sites that sell products is for said seller to partner with a third party is also restrictive in its own way. Which third party should be the "official" review site for Steam? Who decides? How would that not turn into a corrupt enterprise? I don't think the current system is perfect, but tossing out user reviews does not seem like a rational solution to that problem.
Sure, there's still a conflict, but it has a CHANCE of being responsible, and the review source would need to compete to maintain its status with Steam, but you can also have reviews feeding into other stores, like Uplay, Origin, GOG, Fanatical, etc. A good store might even connect with multiple reliable review sites, to merge the reviews and give their customers good information. If one store chose to stack the odds with a front for a corrupt review operation, people might just not bother as long as any stores are demonstrating there are better review sources (the same as how I go to Steam when shopping on sites with even poorer review systems). People might even get used to using their own sources directly, if we had a market where those sources could usefully exist.

What we have now is a system at best cobbled together haphazardly, poorly, and with no outside transparency at all. Companies can even drop a product to hide its reviews and then put it up in a new version with a clean slate, like Planetary Annihilation and other games have done. No one even tries to make reviews/ratings work better for the users, because they can't do anything when the stores control the reviews and people don't care how they let their social network participation kill the opportunity for competition. No one would expect this system to work, and it doesn't. We deal with it, because much like the rest of the things Steam shouldn't be doing, we don't have a lot of choice.

You wouldn't need the store to serve reviews to you if stores weren't already doing it--and keeping others from doing it better. It doesn't even matter if another store has reviews, unless the game isn't available on Steam, because people will go to Steam for the reviews anyway. It's a feature a new store can only look inadequate by attempting. Doing reviews better than Steam won't make people use them enough to produce the content needed to outweigh Steam, so it's basically wasted effort. Pretending it's a feature you expect them to compete on is disingenuous. More importantly, it ignores the lock Steam has by its corrupt requirement to buy via Steam. You're demanding a feature they can only waste effort doing, where they can only look bad by trying, and where even placing it as significant only drives sales and traffic back to Steam.

Letting someone else's opinion of something influence you in some profound manner is a terrible way to live, period. Always take other people's opinions with a grain of salt...unless it's mine, since I'm usually right.

Agreed that it's shitty for companies to wittingly skew reviews, but it's not like all reviews are good anyway. Allowing users to write their own reviews always results in stupid-skewing; people write positive reviews like "OMG DIS DA BZT EVR LUL" for Dab Spinner Trash 2019 on Steam, or "this movie wuz very god i relly liked the guns and blow ups" on something on Redbox, and those idiots have their opinion weighed equally with actually helpful reviews. The only solace is that people can mark other reviews as helpful, but that's also subject to stupidity.

This is a consumerist culture where corporations have limitless power. Exploitation is intrinsic and institutionalized--it's not going away. All you can do is think for yourself and let the idiots get used.

So I don't know if this is intended (not sure why it would be) but the Don't Starve Mega Pack Plus bundle on steam is supposed to give you Don't Starve plus all its dlc and also Don't Starve Together.  Upon buying this pack it gave me all of that plus another giftable copy of Don't Starve Together in my inventory and I didn't own anything in that bundle prior to buying it.  

Supposed to be a great co-op game so if you're interested it appears to be a buy one get two thing.

Thinking about Watch Dongs 2 as a Steam version is unlikely to appear in a Humble Bundle and, well, I have to buy something, right?

So I don't know if this is intended (not sure why it would be) but the Don't Starve Mega Pack Plus bundle on steam is supposed to give you Don't Starve plus all its dlc and also Don't Starve Together. Upon buying this pack it gave me all of that plus another giftable copy of Don't Starve Together in my inventory and I didn't own anything in that bundle prior to buying it.

Supposed to be a great co-op game so if you're interested it appears to be a buy one get two thing.
"Buy Don't Starve Together

Includes an extra copy of Don't Starve Together. Send it to a friend!"

As NORAD tracks Santa they inadvertently fired a few missiles at his sled and some Steam keys have fallen to the Earth.  I have a bunch of spare keys from various Humbles as listed below.  Quote which ones you want and/or send me a PM (I'm 99% certain they work/have not been redeemed).  Preference, of course, is to regular/long-time CAG'ers and denizens of the Steam/Humble threads.  I'll try to keep the list updated although I'll probably be logging off in about four hours but will check back again tomorrow.

The games:

Dead Island Definitive Edition

Hard Reset Redux

Kerbal Space Program

Crazy Machines 3

Ken Follett's Pillars of the Earth

Sniper Elite V2

OlliOlli2

Streets of Rage

Acceleration of SUGURI 2

Bear with Me

Lara Croft GO

Outlast 2

Aviary Attorney

Splasher

NBA Playgrounds

Cursed Castilla

Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition

Mr. Shifty

Van Helsing: Final Cut

Wurm Unlimited

Getting Over It with Bennett Foddy

Seasons After Fall

Worms WMD

Quote which ones you want and/or send me a PM
I could use Sleeping Dogs and Mr. Shifty if available. :bow:

Edit: I found something of my own. If anyone needs/wants a key for Skullgirls, I'll send it to the first longtime cag / thread regular who pm's me.

Merry Christmas to all!

bread's done
Back