Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
Tried Control. It is a stuttery mess as soon as any shooting starts happening. Gonna wait on that to get patched up.

I loved Chrono Cross.
I am hoping it gets remastered or put on Switch and will be able to play it for the first time. Considering Chrono Trigger is my all-time favorite game you would have thought Chrono Cross would have been day 1 for me.

I am hoping it gets remastered or put on Switch and will be able to play it for the first time. Considering Chrono Trigger is my all-time favorite game you would have thought Chrono Cross would have been day 1 for me.
I'd love to see Chrono Cross hit Steam, Switch, X1, PS4, and any other platforms.

I do need to get around to CT, which is in my Steam backlog.

EDIT:

I still dunno how back in the PSX days, I missed FF Chronicles Collection with FF4 and CT. What was I thinking back then?

I made sure I got my hands on FF Anthology with both FF5+6, back in the day.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 3 favorite and top FF's, in order are - FF6,7,9.

I loved Chrono Cross.
I am disturbed by the fact I completely agree with the toaster on these.

But VIII is not a bad game at all and at this point it's just a subjective measure of which game injects you with the strongest measure of nostalgia.

This is totally unrelated to anything but I just wanted to wish the Dreamcast a happy birthday . Just fond memories & the end of SEGA as people knew it
I played Crazy Taxi, Dead or Alive 2, and Sega Marine Fishing when I got home from work today. But I couldn't be bothered to hook up one of my Dreamcasts, so I just played them on my PC. Is that considered cheating?

But VIII is not a bad game at all and at this point it's just a subjective measure of which game injects you with the strongest measure of nostalgia.
No, FF8 is not a bad game.

FF8 had just...had to follow the blockbuster FF, which was FF7. It was destined to have issues iving up to hype and greatness of FF8.

I think the whole GF system (with heavy use of long-winded GF's); the grind of the game, especially w/ the drawing; & the horrid handling of some plot elements & character elements (where to begin on this, w/ both Edea and Ultimecia, especially from Disc 2 and on) - yeah, it just wasn't on the greatness that came w/ FF6+7.

Though...I do think there were a lot of great moments, cinematic stuff, & CGI stuff in FF8. Plus, FF8 looked amazing graphically for its time. For me, FF8 is a flawed game - but still, another good FF entry.

Still, as great as FF7 is, it ain't FF6 for me. Sorry, but for FF's games, I will likely always look to FF6 as their top FF title and the FF to try to top.

EDIT:

FF9 was also great. Lots of spiritual call-backs to earlier FF lore/history/themes; the new CGI/cinematic stuff that was found in FF7+8; fun as heck; some of the elements of newer FF's (with story set-ups similar to FF7+8 w/ Kuja as the main villain & another threat looming); and whatnot - yeah, what wasn't to love about FF9? This is the #3 best FF game for me.

Plus, Vivi rules!

FF8 has a few great aspects but it also had some terribly obtuse gameplay systems.  I could easily argue how it was objectively worse than other FFs.  However, being able to fast forward 3x in the new remaster alleviates some of the problem.

I’m sorry your taste is so bad.
Okay, let's go from a story & character stand-point.

FF8 spoilers

So, you mean to tell me the way they dropped the ball w/ the awesome reveal of Ultimecia puppeteer-ing Edea (throughout Disc 1) and then (failing to) build up Ultimecia as a villain done well in throughout the other 3 discs?

Plus, they flat-out hid Ultimecia way too damn much, unlike Edea.

They might've done the puppeteer reveal too early too.

So, she (Ultimecia) was going to compress time and space & re-create everything, but...it's just not really explained why. Was it b/c she became an evil sorceress? Or was the "Rinoa is Ultimecia" Theory is true? At face value, it feels like...there is just not that much here about Ultimecia.

If they were going for the artistic route, sometimes that is just not the best one for a movie/game/story/book/whatever. Even if they did reveal "Rinoa/Ultimecia" at the end in a final twist or something of a similar sort, even that tidbit really could've helped Ultimecia as a character, since they didn't divulge much on Ultimecia.

Sephiroth & Kuja were certainly way more interesting & built-up so much more than Ultimecia...and explained flat-out better too.

EDIT:

FF8 has a few great aspects but it also had some terribly obtuse gameplay systems. I could easily argue how it was objectively worse than other FFs. However, being able to fast forward 3x in the new remaster alleviates some of the problem.
FF8 is flat-out grindy as hell, especially with its reliance on Summons (especially early-on, until you maybe/hopefully figure out the GF system) and with the Drawing system (instead of a more traditional MP system).

I would guess the 3x Fast-Forward system helps a bit w/ some of these issues, as you mentioned.

Was there ever a 3x Fast-Forward mod released for the old FF8 Steam version?

Yep. There's a lot of truth to "The first Final Fantasy game you play is your favorite".
I'd even argue that Final Fantasy VII is probably the most popular of all of them because of how quickly Sony was able to shuttle it to the Greatest Hits lineup. The game came out in 1997, and by 2000 it was being sold for $20 with a garish green stripe down it's side.

Don't forget 5 and 6 cost $80+ at release and still were demanding a significant premium as used games all through the 2000s.

On another note, at least the card game in 8 was a better subgame than Blitzball.

Welcome. Did you already purchase and build?

In my opinion steam and the xbox GP app are two great places to start. Other launchers can be ignored (if you'd like) especially at first for simplicity's sake.

Sadly for steam games the majority of deals right now require you to deal with bundle gimmicks. However if you happen to be like me and hate gaming subs, this thread can be helpful to lift a select bundled title from other trustworthy cags.
Awesome, thanks for the suggestion. I never looked in that thread, but that makes sense since I've been out of the PC gaming world for awhile.

And it's a long story, but unfortunately I had to buy a pre-built unit. Hopefully, I won't have to replace any parts depending on the brand/specific parts I'll be getting in the build, but I know I'll need to swap out the PSU right away. I picked up a EVGA G+ 850w to do so.

After you do the move - in the middle of screen is a box that says "Click my Transfer Details."

That will tell you what you own for Destiny 2 licenses for Steam.
Mine just says "Silver: 0" I own Destiny 2 on Bnet (from the Humble Monthly), but never played it.

FF8 discussion:

I liked FF8 MUCH more than FF9. You can cry about it and expouse all the ways FF9 is better as counterpoint, if you want. It's good to have subjective opinions, even though you're wrong.

Kuja was a decent villain. He was fun, but not as fun as Kefka and definitely more effeminate. I think that negatively impacted the eccentricity of the character

But then we find out that Vivi is a clone. Then we find out that Zidane is also a clone, of Kuja, made by the real villain, Garland, who resides in another dimension.

BUT WAIT! The really real end villain isn't Garland, but Necron. You see it only once, in the last battle. Its only motive is to annihilate existence and return everything to nothingness, so there's even less exposition than we get with Ultimecia. At least one can postulate over Ultimecia's true goals as the ultimate, insane sorceress at the end of time; I personally like the theory that Rinoa eventually becomes Ultimecia, since it ties in well with the rest of the story.

FF8 had good pacing and realistic, slice-of-life characters that I'm sure a lot of us nerds related to back in the day. The soundtrack was good, and there were some memorable places, like Fisherman's Horizon. The cyberpunk atmosphere combined well with the anime-lite military high school motif for the first disc. The fight between Gardens kicked ass back in the day, too.

I very much enjoyed the whole "time distortion" mechanic that allowed us to play as Laguna, Ward, and Kiros. Not only was there a contemporary story, but we also got to play through the backstory. And you even got to use that mechanic on a few occasions to learn something that the other party used to progress. That's cool.

I enjoyed equipping magic more than socketing shitty gear just to learn the associated skills, too. And I prefer the QTE Limit Breaks over Trance Mode. Garand's Auction House in FF9 was cool, but tracking down all those fucking Moogles was a pain in the ass. Chocobo Forests were highly improved in FF9. Tetra Master got unnecessarily complicated thanks to number leveling, so I was more of a Triple Triad fan.

And honestly, I'm just not into anthro/SD shit. Freya was a rat person, Eiko was a purple fox thing, Quina was just a hot mess, and I don't know what the fuck Amarant was. But they definitely weren't things that interest me. The whole game felt more childish to me, whereas FF8 was at least in its adolescence. I'd take Selphie, Quistis, and Zell over many of FF's supporting casts.

For the record, I played through FF6 with my friends when I was younger. The first FF game I played on my own was 7.

Yep. There's a lot of truth to "The first Final Fantasy game you play is your favorite".
I'm down with that...

My first was 1 and it's my favorite. I'll admit it only beats out 2(4) because of more nostalgia. EDIT: Although, I have a ton of nostalgia about 2(4)... I played about half of it on a 9" black & white TV with no sound.

Fun (boring) fact. I had (have) the Nintendo Power guide and I'd read it and imagine playing it when I couldn't actually play the game, which was most of the time because I only ever rented it. I'd go through the maps like they were a board game.

I'd even argue that Final Fantasy VII is probably the most popular of all of them because of how quickly Sony was able to shuttle it to the Greatest Hits lineup. The game came out in 1997, and by 2000 it was being sold for $20 with a garish green stripe down it's side.
That would suggest FF1 is my favorite. That's possible, but it's a tough call between that and FF2 (US).

I haven't finished any other Final Fantasy game and have only started one or two.

My favorite is still FF6. My first was likely FF4 (the US version). While i'm not a huge fan of drawing spells, I thought the game itself was decent enough. I think the biggest sin of it is the very long animation for GFs. Also the grind for ability points was real. Still a good enough story. Also had likely my 2nd favorite soundtrack, though I never played 10 or 14 so those could be faves I guess. I will get the remaster eventually for sure. I'm playing Grandia right now and my nostalgia is big for it, but it's a bit boring to play. The battle system is still OK though.  

I think the plot in VIII would regain a lot of credibility once everyone posting in this thread suddenly realizes..
..we were all childhood friends and the trauma from epic exclusives gave us memory loss

And it's a long story, but unfortunately I had to buy a pre-built unit. Hopefully, I won't have to replace any parts depending on the brand/specific parts I'll be getting in the build, but I know I'll need to swap out the PSU right away. I picked up a EVGA G+ 850w to do so.
Gotcha. Enjoy it and feel free to drop any Q's here. Most people here learn toward AMD though I'm happy with my 9700k @5.2

Fired up Slay the Spire the other day, I can see why people like it. This is a game that will a fun time waster.

i have played the first 5 minutes or so of FF7 but that's the only FF game i've played
giphy.gif

But really, I think we can all agree that apparently this exists.

[snip]
Isn't this where TrumpCat would pipe up with an all-time classic--"fake news!"?

Also, I have never played a Final Fantasy game, unless the demo for XV counts. It was sufficiently confusing that I happily went back to my non-Final-Fantasy-playing state.

If any of you nerds are interested, this looks pretty decent to me and I backed it.

Also, I have never played a Final Fantasy game, unless the demo for XV counts. It was sufficiently confusing that I happily went back to my non-Final-Fantasy-playing state.
Not sure if FF15 counts, as it don't feel like a classic FF to me.

I've played FF15 Demo. Feels like a modern-day DAI or Skyrim here, where you have a boy-band of a party that you can control or use as AI. Gorgeous game, sure - but it just didn't feel like a traditional FF-style JRPG to me.

EDIT:

Heck, even w/ the rail-roading down a tunnel/corridor style FF13-1 has, that feels more FF-like than FF15 to me. FF13 still has a very heavy story-focus, character-focus, and some kind of turn-based strategic-combat system with lots of (usually blue) menus - which I think are key elements that have been in a majority of FF titles.

Of course, this all doesn't mean FF13-1 is better than FF15 either. Not sure, would have to finish FF13 and actually purchase & play FF15.

My PC finally came that I ordered. I built it at cyberpowerpc.com and it came fine. I have two issues with it that I will get to.

Ryzen 3700x
MSI Gaming Trio RTX 2080 Super
For some reason they upgraded my PSU from a RM750i to an RM1000i for free
M.2 NVME for a boot drive

And a lot more stuff. I did not get the RAM and extra SSDs through them. I put it all together and it cost me $45 more (removing the SSDs and RAM) from them than building it myself. I put two 2 TB SSDs in it and upgraded the RAM to 32 GB. It is quite nice. My two issues are as follows:

1. BIOS issue on startup. There is 20 seconds before the motherboard logo appears. AMD is aware of this and working on it.
2. I paid for the "expert wiring". It is done neatly but messy to me. They did not replace the wires for the motherboard and video card, just added extensions that look nice on to them and then zip tied them and hid them behind the plate in the Lian Li 011 Dynamic case I chose. There is a massive amount of wiring behind there that should not be that way.

So, now my next step is to buy https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HMG6Q58/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A2NEQYKY2LM9QB&psc=1 and redo the wiring. I will just write it up as a lesson learned.

Late to the all the FF talk.  All i have to say is 6 is the best one(wasn't the first one I played)  and 7 is way overrated have never been a fan of it.

Late to the all the FF talk. All i have to say is 6 is the best one(wasn't the first one I played) and 7 is way overrated have never been a fan of it.
I loved 6. My next favorite was 4 then either 1 or 7. I don’t think 7 is way overrated. I feel it gets a bump due to the summons, gaming area and weapons fights. I wish there would have been more weapons to fight that were really hard.

I was of the age to grow up with all this stuff... and didn't like the FF's... at all.  Now Dragon Warrior/Quest... there's a game I got into.  FF was always so over the top.  And you could almost always guarantee a back-stab moment so... yea....

Played Dragon Warrior 1 and 3 on the NES, way back. Those and FF1 really got me into the RPG genre.

Also really enjoyed Phantasy Star series and Shining Force series on the Genesis.

My first CRPG was Fallout 2.

Final Fantasy 7 was the first JRPG I ever played way back when.  At the time, it was unlike anything I had ever played before and it introduced me to a number of genre tropes.  Production values were stellar (for the time).  I played the heck out of it.  Perhaps this was the experience for many FF players, but I will always remember it very fondly.

Played Dragon Warrior 1 and 3 on the NES, way back. Those and FF1 really got me into the RPG genre.

Also really enjoyed Phantasy Star series and Shining Force series on the Genesis.

ahhhh Dragon Warrior 2 was one of the first jrpgs I became addicted to as a kid, with its enormous world and plentiful secrets.

Played a lot of DW1 too, but it was so grindy and shallow compared to DW2 and FF1. The frequent RNG kills on your hero were incredibly annoying too.

FF4 is still my favorite.  I'm sure just because it was the first one I played when I was old enough to really appreciate RPGs.  I played FF1 and DW1 and 2 on NES but just sorta liked them.  I had lord knows how many hundreds of hours in FF4.  I liked FF6 as well but I only played through it a couple of times, same with FF7 although I had trouble putting it down on my first play-through and had a lot more to choose from when it was out as well. 

The FF7 remake trailers are looking better and better which probably means it is going to be the greatest disappointment in gaming history.

FF4 is still my favorite. I'm sure just because it was the first one I played when I was old enough to really appreciate RPGs. I played FF1 and DW1 and 2 on NES but just sorta liked them. I had lord knows how many hundreds of hours in FF4. I liked FF6 as well but I only played through it a couple of times, same with FF7 although I had trouble putting it down on my first play-through and had a lot more to choose from when it was out as well.

The FF7 remake trailers are looking better and better which probably means it is going to be the greatest disappointment in gaming history.
Yup. I'm trying to temper my hype big time.

My backlog is to the extreme. I now am like will I play this game in the next 5 years. If I'm not sure it's gone. I'm starting to purge RPGs and some other games I just got on sale which I should have passed on. Enjoy what you have for sure. Indie games on the Switch are very good. I just got too much junk and am feeling overwhelmed by it instead of enjoying what I have.

My PC finally came that I ordered. I built it at cyberpowerpc.com and it came fine. I have two issues with it that I will get to.

Ryzen 3700x
MSI Gaming Trio RTX 2080 Super
For some reason they upgraded my PSU from a RM750i to an RM1000i for free
M.2 NVME for a boot drive

And a lot more stuff. I did not get the RAM and extra SSDs through them. I put it all together and it cost me $45 more (removing the SSDs and RAM) from them than building it myself. I put two 2 TB SSDs in it and upgraded the RAM to 32 GB. It is quite nice. My two issues are as follows:

1. BIOS issue on startup. There is 20 seconds before the motherboard logo appears. AMD is aware of this and working on it.
2. I paid for the "expert wiring". It is done neatly but messy to me. They did not replace the wires for the motherboard and video card, just added extensions that look nice on to them and then zip tied them and hid them behind the plate in the Lian Li 011 Dynamic case I chose. There is a massive amount of wiring behind there that should not be that way.

So, now my next step is to buy https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HMG6Q58/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A2NEQYKY2LM9QB&psc=1 and redo the wiring. I will just write it up as a lesson learned.
It might be worth shooting them an email on the wiring issue and how you feel. It could be as simple as a miscommunication about what they consider "expert wiring" but they might give you a refund for that considering you'll need to buy something extra to get it to the way you thought it would be.

Gears of War 5 is part of the XBox for PC Game Pass, which I am currently a member of.

So, Digital Foundry made a claim that "Gears 5 is one of the all-time great PC ports." Pretty much, they're right on the money. This might be one of the best PC versions that I've seen, since probably Doom 2016 and Destiny 2, on the technical sides of things. 

I don't know if it's something on my end (probably, I'd guess), but I can't get it over 60fps. Might be something I have on my end (I did disable V-Sync, cranked up max frames to Unlimited), so I will have to look into that. But to have a game run at 1080p60fps like this, looking so fantastic technically & artistically; and also run so amazing - yeah, it's outstanding; especially from a Microsoft Studio. Seriously, at 1080p with a mix of mostly High and Ultra settings, it doesn't know how to get below 60fps. The game runs butter smooth and just feels great. There's also an insane list of graphics options in the Video Menu and it has so many options, you could be here for a while if you really want to get really into it & mess around with these settings. Since it runs so well, I'll probably do so.

Within the first hour and half of gameplay, it's basically more Gears 4, if we're talking in the departments of both gameplay and gunplay. Gears is still King, when it comes to cover-shooting; it's still the master of it. Weapons feel weight-y, powerful, awesome, and unique...like they always have felt, in this Gears series since even the original Gears. If you're okay with basically "more Gears", you're going to like Gears 5. It doesn't hesitate one bit with the action and gunplay that makes Gears games as awesome as they are.

There's some tweaks here to the formula early on, as you have a robot too now that you can aim at items you see even out in the distance, tell the robot to get it, and the flying robot will just fly over, pick up the item, pick it up for you, and then bring it back to you - which is very useful. There's even puzzles at times, when you need to use the robot to move, use, or do things...which you can't access without the robot b/c maybe a space is too small for you but it's the right size for the robot.

Gears 5 early-on feels really good as a shooter, but let's be real: this game is a technical marvel. It's a technical masterpiece. This is one of the best technical ports that I've seen in a while...and maybe ever. I wish all PC versions both ran and looked this great, at the same time.

Gears of War 5? Never heard of. Gears 5 might be overshadowing it

But ya, Gears 5 seems like a damn good port. Glad to have "unlimited refresh rate" cinematics. I know many games does that, but i always appreciate it.

My only problem is lipsyncing seems off. I don't know if it's because i'm doing co-op and i'm not host?

My backlog is to the extreme. I now am like will I play this game in the next 5 years. If I'm not sure it's gone. I'm starting to purge RPGs and some other games I just got on sale which I should have passed on. Enjoy what you have for sure. Indie games on the Switch are very good. I just got too much junk and am feeling overwhelmed by it instead of enjoying what I have.
I'm finally starting to crack my backlog, and I've been discovering games that I already own that I really enjoy playing. For instance, I just started Mystery Chronicle: One Way Heroics on Tuesday, and I've already been playing it for four hours. It's very addictive. And that might not sound like a lot of time, but I worked overtime every day this week and have had little time to play games, so it's a lot of time for me.

But what I've been doing lately is making a short list of games that are in my backlog that I might want to try. I choose five or ten that I will install and start that week. If a game sucks after I give it five minutes of play time, I make a note of it and then immediately uninstall it and replace it with a different game. I don't know if that works for you, but there's one way to at least get started.

Hm. I've never used replacement cabling--the reviewer on that page whose cables appear to have destroyed his hardware provides a scary example of why I'd be reluctant to do that. Aside from difficulty properly seating my HDD in the case and eventually throwing my hands up and abandoning the third-party CPU cooler I paid $80 for, wiring was one of the trickiest bits about my last build. It seems harder than it should be to get everything tucked away neatly.

Whippersnapper. If you didn't cut your teeth on the Gold Box Games, you're too young to be posting about CRPGs.

Gears of War 5 is part of the XBox for PC Game Pass, which I am currently a member of.

So, Digital Foundry made a claim that "Gears 5 is one of the all-time great PC ports." Pretty much, they're right on the money. This might be one of the best PC versions that I've seen, since probably Doom 2016 and Destiny 2, on the technical sides of things.
This is a confusing statement. Wouldn't Doom and Destiny 2 have been conventional PC builds, as these were series that lived on PCs? Why would they be viewed as ports in this context?

I may get around to fooling with this on PC at some point. I tried playing Gears of War Ultimate (I think) on XBONE, but I still don't understand the appeal of shooters on consoles. I get games with shooty bits that are otherwise action-adventure things with light platforming and puzzle elements like the Uncharted series. But games that are supposed to be hardcore shooters? It feels like you're playing with one hand tied behind your back aiming a firearm with a gamepad joystick. How is that fun?

I only played the first couple Gears games, but I found them to be kind of frustrating.  Right from the start, the basic enemies are huge bullet sponges.  Don't really enjoy having to unload clip after clip into one dude.  Pretty sure this is why they had to create the "Active Reload" thing.  They were graphically nice, and stories and characters were acceptable, but the basic shooting kind of pissed me off.

Given this, should I be interested in Gears 4 or 5?

I'm finally starting to crack my backlog, and I've been discovering games that I already own that I really enjoy playing. For instance, I just started Mystery Chronicle: One Way Heroics on Tuesday, and I've already been playing it for four hours. It's very addictive. And that might not sound like a lot of time, but I worked overtime every day this week and have had little time to play games, so it's a lot of time for me.

But what I've been doing lately is making a short list of games that are in my backlog that I might want to try. I choose five or ten that I will install and start that week. If a game sucks after I give it five minutes of play time, I make a note of it and then immediately uninstall it and replace it with a different game. I don't know if that works for you, but there's one way to at least get started.
Not a bad idea. I was doing my 2 or so random steam games a day I think I remember some people seeing it as I would put my quick thoughts after about 10-15 minutes of gameplay. I have so many that's not even super feasible, so now just looking and eliminating some before hand and what makes it after said elimination will then go the 10-15 minute route to be played afterwards. I actually have Mystery Chronicle Vita LRG copy on my computer desk, as I was going to play it soon. I played Wario Ware Gold and finished it in like 2 hours...was alright enough but selling it. Good luck on the backlog not just for you but everyone here.

I don't know if anyone is still looking to pre-order BL3, but I just picked up the Super Deluxe Edition for $80 from Voidu using "gamingtime" promo code for 20% off. Hope this helps anyone who was one the fence between waiting for a sale down the line and getting it at launch.

bread's done
Back