Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
This is the first sale period in 10 years where I didn't buy a single thing.

I wanted to tell you all this because I knew you'd all be fascinated by this piece of information.
I'm proud of you. My word is spreading!

I considered picking up the DLC to Invisible, Inc. for like $1.12 but it goes on sale regularly enough and I didn't know if I wanted to get back into the game after already spending 50 hours on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
My steam haul was Death's Hangover for $0.50. 

Found it in a hidden gems thread and I'm a sucker for breakout games. I'm a little disappointed that it's so short. I beat it in under an hour, but still enjoyed it and it seems like there's a decent number of hidden stuff I can go back and get on replays.

Also spent zero. Turns out, steam store rolled out sales tax to my state months ago - I just now found out due to rarely/never buying anything anymore.

Been basically just playing pc game pass and console-exclusive stuff.

Finally "finished" slay the spire. What a game. Looking forward to the 4th character update.

attachicon.gif
silent.jpg
I've enjoyed Slay the Spire so much that I bought the GoG version during the sale just to have an offline installer.

I bought stuff not really on sale or very little on sale. Did remove about probably a hundred or more games from the wish list though.

Baldr Sky was my must buy, and it just came out.

Hypnospace Outlaw

The Princess, the Stray Cat, and Matters of the Heart 2

Just stuff I will likely play within a month or so. That's it.

Yep.... same here as the group, bought nothing during the Steam sale.  Bought Rebel Galaxy Outlaw from the Epic sale, otherwise nothing.  Feels weird, but I also think Steam called this one in...

....and they screwed up my library for which I will never forgive them.

Steam has been phoning-it-in since around 2012.

Edit to add:  I'm trying to remember the exact year or range but it's all hazy to me.  In the distant past (before bundle sites were really a thing) Steam would have five for $5 indie bundles and other quirky promos to go along with flash and daily sales.  Around the same time you had good ol' Amazon Tony getting some great deals for games with Steam keys on Amazon.  I guess the good news is that Tony eventually moved up the chain to a better position.  Hopefully he's still trending upwards because there was a guy who knew how to engage customers.

I picked up The Witcher Tales because I have somehow convinced myself I'll play it soon, which I will not.  I also bought a few cheap games and some dlc.  And I bought Trine 4 which I have already played through with some friends, I will likely finish the achievements on it since multiplayer screws up a bunch of them and I liked it enough to go through it again anyway.  I had added quite a few things in my cart over the last few days and I have Steam wallet to spend on stuff but I ended up deleting my entire cart after thinking about how many games I have in my backlog.

I have played Lord of the Rings Online a bit lately because I used to play it a lot and I want to see the conclusion of the main story and see how they presented the later areas from the books.   The places I have seen look very nice for such an old MMO, Minas Tirith is massive and looks very nice.  Mirkwood, Lonely Mountain, Dale and other locations from The Hobbit are in game but I have not made it to them yet.  However the game is a mess these days.  The population is tiny in comparison to what it was even five years ago, when it had already dropped off by massive amounts from its peak.  It is horribly laggy, some areas are terrible to even play in even if almost nobody is around.  The endgame revolves around a grind that makes some of the Korean MMOs I have played and gave up on seem reasonable in comparison.   

One of the worst aspects is the legendary weapon system.  Players had been asking for some sort of catch-up mechanic for alts and returning players since one character might need to upgrade multiple legendary items and it takes months of grinding to finish one.  So they finally responded by briefly offering something in the store that would almost catch one weapon up for $60.00.  So yeah, I guess LoTRO is only limping along due to whales at this point.   I still intend to finish the solo bits of the game (minus the newest expansion since I have no intention of buying it) but after that I doubt I'll ever revisit it.  Unfortunate for what was once my favorite game but they have been working hard at driving away players for years so it is hardly surprising.  

My Haul:

https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/341407-steam-deals-mega-thread-all-pc-gaming-deals/?p=14248977

Epic Game Store / Steam Holiday 2019 Sale HAUL -- FINAL HAUL:

Epic Game Store:

World War Z = $4.99

The Division 2 = $4.99

The Crew 2 = $4.99

Outward = $5.99

Darksiders 3 (base) = $10.39

Rebel Galaxy: Outlaw = $12.49

Ghost Recon: Breakpoint = $13.99

WinGameStore:

ELEX [Steam key] = $12.49

Free Stuff / Gifts - SUPER Special thanks to those gifting and giving me stuff:

Steam -> Finding Paradise = Gifted to me.

Project CARS

The Hex

Pound of Ground

Epic Game Store -> All of the Epic Store freebies during 12 Days of X-Mas.

Last Update = 1/2/2020

I've been buying nothing, or mostly nothing from Steam sales for quite some time. Like Mooby mentioned, it's been a while since they made you feel like you were crazy if you passed up a deal.

I carefully selected a few things that I knew I would play, then checked SteamDB to see the sales history.

I ended up with:

- Some X-Morph (Humble Choice game) DLC. I love TD games and these are the guys that made Zombie Driver. They're good developers.

- NBA 2K Playgrounds to play co-op with my kid

- Mindustry;

- Dungeon Warfare 2 (both TD'ish)

- Supraland

I'm most excited about Supraland. It's got really good reviews and it looks like a really nicely crafted exploration/adventure/roaming game.

How different it is from the past when I could be reasonably sure that the sheer volume of games I was buying meant I'd likely forget I even owned most of them. Thank you Steam, for correcting my ways. How foolish I was to throw money at you when you flashed those cheap, slutty games at me on your front page for a limited time only!

I bought Afterparty from the Epic Games store and got a bunch of freebies from EGS, IG and elsewhere that are of such high quality that I cannot even be bothered to remember what they were.

Got some console games too....

Haul:

Destiny 2: Forsaken - $14.99

Planet Coaster - $8.99

Transport Fever - $6.99

Monster Hunter: World - gifted

Random cheap bundle fodder +1 puzzle games - ~$5

Still have the feeling that Planet Coaster will end up in a monthly, but it's been on my wishlist for over 3 years now and I've been wanting a new management game to play, so I picked that and Transport Fever up. 

I ended up buying a bunch of stuff this sale, most of it for multiplayer/co-op reasons with friends:

Master Chief Collection

Age of Empires II: Definitive

GTFO

Strange Brigade Deluxe

Risk of Rain 2

Defense Grid 2 (to scratch that TD itch)

All told I spent ~$100 which is the most I've spent during a sale in a long while, but about half of it was the Master Chief Collection which I'll definitely get my monies worth out of that.

I was going to bring this up awhile back when people were extolling the virtues of the steam client over epic's, but steam remote share is an awesome feature.  It works perfectly with the Jackbox games and I've had a few nights of 8 person Jackbox where I've laughed myself to tears.  If anyone here is interested and wants to join in we usually only have around 4-5 of us and very rarely 8 and would welcome more people with deviant minds (everyone here) that want to waste a few hours now and then, just send me a message on here and I'll add you.

Last but not least for Mooby, Doom is less than $5 on gamersgate.  Its a great game and an absolute steal for the price, you'll enjoy it many times more than a polo despite being 1/6 the price.

I picked up Bloons TD5 and Bloons TD6, a pile of stuff from Fanatical because of the Pick and Mix Bundles, and then the Cosmic Sword bundle on Indiegala during Happy Hour because even on the steam sale it was cheaper than buying  The Pit: Infinity.

It was a pretty sparse Christmas for PC gaming.  
PS4 sales were just so much better this year, oddly. 

I didn't get anything from the steam sale, i think this is the first time i bought nothing in a summer or winter sale. Picked up some of the egs freebies though. Very disappointing because if i keep buying no games at this rate from steam given my current backlog i will run out of games to play in like 8 years or so 

My new-year's haul: Three month trial of Xbox Game Pass for PC.

Played a little of Halo and The Outer Worlds. Downloaded My Friend Pedro and Bloodstained. 

Finished up Hypnospace Outlaw with a little help for the last chapter before the epilogue. Still more stuff to do, but I'm kind of getting bored of it, so likely will abandon soon. This took about 7 hours. First of all the aesthetics are really cool and feel like you are exploring websites from the 90s. The UI is extremely clunky and has sometimes hard to see graphics and fonts and such.  This is mainly one of those games were you try to solve issues by searching for stuff and using the tools the game provides you in a custom OS. It's a one of a kind experience, but most of the time it felt like a 2deep4me type game. Some stuff is very obscure to find and such as well. I was stumped for about an hour and a half at the end and needed a hint from a guide because I just wasn't seeing anything to help me get to the next part. Frankly I would wait till this is bundled and likely on the lower ends of the bundle pricing. Would give it a 6/10 for being unique and decently interesting, but really it's forgettable. I think I had more fun playing Emily is Away and I need to play that games sequel.

Any way to get GOG Galaxy to understand Game Pass? Right now it shows only the games I've installed (downloaded and launched), but not all the games I have access to with Game Pass.

i started play mass effect andromeda recently, had to stop though, it was just so boring. it was like a less interesting dragon age inquistion in space, just not a good game

Storytelling, choice options (for branching decisions in quests), and character development in ME:A isn't as great as the others either.

This game probably would've been better off, if it wasn't labeled Mass Effect.

The only thing that's great about ME:A is it easily has the best combat in a ME-branded game. No real surprise, given that it's on one of the best engines for gun-play & vehicles: Frostbite.

The combat is technically good but it actually in my opinion eventually gets more boring than ME 2 + 3 because the encounters are virtually all identical - you walk or drive around, find an open outpost that has enemies hanging around and shoot at either robots or humans in open space. There's an amazingly low amount of enemy variety, and I think the encounters suffer from being in the open. ME 2 + 3 seemed more tactical due to variety of enemy types that would require different strategies and that had different attacks, and particularly on higher difficulties being in tighter environments in combination with the variety of enemies meant you'd often plan out a strategy in terms of order of elimination and stuff.

So while the combat is technically better, after a couple fights in ME:A  I found it kinda dull. The characters and plot aren't too interesting. The worlds aren't really all that fun to explore. Some of the side quests are somewhat substantial, but a lot are just "go around and plant 6 probes" and stuff like that. 

It's serviceable, but I was bored enough where I just couldn't justify spending anymore time on it when there are so many other more engaging games to play. 

I expected the Pats to lose considering how the end of the regular season went for both them and the Titans (i.e. trending in different directions).  But, I thought the Bills might pull off a victory in that one. Agreed, both good games though.

And for the sake of staying on point in the thread...MADDEN!

The combat is technically good but it actually in my opinion eventually gets more boring than ME 2 + 3 because the encounters are virtually all identical - you walk or drive around, find an open outpost that has enemies hanging around and shoot at either robots or humans in open space. There's an amazingly low amount of enemy variety, and I think the encounters suffer from being in the open. ME 2 + 3 seemed more tactical due to variety of enemy types that would require different strategies and that had different attacks, and particularly on higher difficulties being in tighter environments in combination with the variety of enemies meant you'd often plan out a strategy in terms of order of elimination and stuff.

So while the combat is technically better, after a couple fights in ME:A I found it kinda dull. The characters and plot aren't too interesting. The worlds aren't really all that fun to explore. Some of the side quests are somewhat substantial, but a lot are just "go around and plant 6 probes" and stuff like that.

It's serviceable, but I was bored enough where I just couldn't justify spending anymore time on it when there are so many other more engaging games to play.
This, probably sums up my opinion of ME:A as well. There was nothing 'bad' about it. It was just so 'blah', especially since I came to Mass Effect late and played ME:A soon after ME3. I thought the gameplay in ME3 was fantastic and ME:A was really similar...but yet...soulless? hollow? I didnt get too far into the story so I didnt really care what I was doing. I think about giving it another fair shake, but like pa said, there are so many other ... games to play.

ME:A suffers from what a lot of 'open world' games suffer from...too much freedom, not enough stuff to do or care about.  It's hard to do open world with character driven narrative and few have gotten it right. I do like the weapon and armor crafting that was added, but if that was put that into ME3 I'd say you have a better overall game than ME:A...combat included.  I have hundreds, if not thousands of hours in the original ME trilogy. I last played ME:A 2 1/2 years ago and haven't yet finished it but, I've played through the trilogy twice in that time frame. 

ME:A has a bunch of problems, especially being labeled as a ME game and not its own game. There's not enough of the ME stuff we expect here - such as Loyalty missions; not enough scripted missions; too many outposts/side-quests; & not enough of the decision-making stuff.

Basically, ME:A got turned too much into an UbiSoft game - think some AC's, Far Cry's, Watch Dogs, etc etc.

But there's also the DA:Inquisition Hinterlands problem here in ME:A also. If you don't get off the first planet, once it finally starts opening up to the opportunity so that you can finally go to other planets/areas (this takes about 10-20 hours) - yeah, you're gonna be bored. The main story really starts to get into gear once you leave the first planet, even though it just ain't anything really truly special.

ME:A's combat is way more kinetic, faster-paced, more vertical (as you can zip around, depending on if you use your jump-jets or certain dodge moves), and you can't stay in cover too long (as the enemy keeps destroying your cover or attacking you to get the heck out of cover).

But, I did miss from previous ME games, the BioWare pause isn't even in ME:A - where you could strategically queue up one attack per AI teammates. Yeah, ME:A doesn't really do that, as it lost a bit of its BioWare-style strategic combat.

I expected the Pats to lose considering how the end of the regular season went for both them and the Titans (i.e. trending in different directions). But, I thought the Bills might pull off a victory in that one. Agreed, both good games though.

And for the sake of staying on point in the thread...MADDEN!
Yep, I expected the Pats to lose too. Despite being 12-4, eh...they didn't have the toughest schedule and were often scraping by when they won. And then they lost to Miami, for crying out loud.

We didn't have Gronk, which immensely hurt. Gronk would make crazy catches use his long reach, and his strength to break tackles, drag those tackling with him so he'd get a few more yards, etc etc. Gronk was often getting double-covered or more, which left the open other receivers to take advantage too.

Brady hasn't seemed the same all year, without any real receivers to trust and/or toss to. Edelman can't do it all or most of it, on the receiving. Gotta be a team, to win.

And while the defense held it down most of the year and did well - yeah, they kind of broke down & fell apart by the end.

And, oh yeah...MADDEN! I still need to get one of those, since they're FINALLY back on the PC!

Been playing State of Mind.

Around 2 hours into it, thanks to the Xbox for PC Games Pass. Have some thoughts, so....here we go.

The story, voice-acting, and atmosphere is really good. And honestly, since this is a lot of the focus of this adventure game/walking-simulator with a cyberpunk setting, it better be good. And as usual, it's hard to go wrong when your lead here is Doug Cockle, of The Witcher video game series fame.

Puzzles seem really easy and doesn't really feel like a main focus of the game. You can talk to NPC's, interact with objects, do some puzzles to assemble pictures/videos, puzzles where you put the different stories that overlap together, and things of that sort. Unless they get harder later, doesn't feel like a main focus here.

Graphics have a very polygonal & Indie feel. Characters look fine, but the environments look quite good - mainly, from an artistic point of view. This game is just oozing with atmosphere & artistry, doing its cyberpunk setting justice & proud. Game is not ever challenged, running at 1080p with 60fps at all times, no problem.

So, that's my reaction, so far...some 2 hours into this. Going to adventure some more.

As far as ME:A goes, the story DOES pick up after like the 3rd planet... but having to justify playing that much silliness to get to/through the third planet is ludicrous IMO.

Grabbed a clearance retail physical copy of Dishonored 2 @ Target for $5.98 ($7.02 is lowest on ITAD)

came with key for imperial assasins pack and some stickers.

Steam Keys.

Cool, I guess 144hz monitors will get cheaper!
Hoping so.

I've been tempted to buy a second monitor so I can have some important webpages up also (instead of alt-tabing from games) as my old monitor, which worked perfectly fine when it was replaced, seems to bed on its last leg. (Every possible hook up is "fuzzy" and has a red pixelation going on with it.)

Speaking of new "monitors" I just picked up a 55" LG OLEDB9 to use primarily as a gaming monitor and so far it's pretty great. As many of you know my marriage is perpetually on the rocks, and of course the holidays can be a stressful time for even the most well adjusted family. So when times got hard I did what any good husband would do and I bought some new gaming stuff. This is my first time pushing my PC to do 4K and it does look nice (at 60hz) but I prefer to keep things at 1440p with 120hz. My eyes have a hard time differentiating between 2K and 4K but the difference between 60 and 120 fps is huge. But what I'm really loving is the incredible blacks of the OLED and HDR. Naturally, the first thing I played on it was...

0baZF6U.jpg

I typically game with a controller so I'm not sitting quite so close to the TV, in case you were wondering whether or not my neck is broken yet.

Speaking of new "monitors" I just picked up a 55" LG OLEDB9 to use primarily as a gaming monitor and so far it's pretty great. As many of you know my marriage is perpetually on the rocks, and of course the holidays can be a stressful time for even the most well adjusted family. So when times got hard I did what any good husband would do and I bought some new gaming stuff. This is my first time pushing my PC to do 4K and it does look nice (at 60hz) but I prefer to keep things at 1440p with 120hz. My eyes have a hard time differentiating between 2K and 4K but the difference between 60 and 120 fps is huge. But what I'm really loving is the incredible blacks of the OLED and HDR. Naturally, the first thing I played on it was...

I typically game with a controller so I'm not sitting quite so close to the TV, in case you were wondering whether or not my neck is broken yet.
I don't understand the answer to today's trivia question. The first game you played on it was "Find Barry"? Is this a tie-in to that HBO show people keep talking about?

0baZF6U.jpg

Ah, the old Epic freebie backlog.....

bread's done
Back