Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
Ludicrous.  GPU market is crap because of Nvidia pushing bleeding edge nonsense that offers marginal performance upgrades while AMD lags behind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ludicrous. GPU market is crap because of Nvidia pushing bleeding edge nonsense that offers marginal performance upgrades while AMD lags behind.
Maybe all this 10-20 GB of DDR6 VRAM of 7nm is preparing for Ray-Tracing & maybe higher resolutions (i.e. 8K)?

Does PS5 actually support Microsoft's DX12?
No, Sony doesn't use the Microsoft APIs. Somebody who has the desirable skill set but has worked primarily in DirectX can likely become proficient in Vulkan fast enough to be productive within the scope of the first project. Also, if Sony is looking at PC ports, somebody who move between Vulkan and DirectX would be especially useful.

Maybe all this 10-20 GB of DDR6 VRAM of 7nm is preparing for Ray-Tracing & maybe higher resolutions (i.e. 8K)?
8K will be a demo for the major lifespan of any gaming GPU launching this year. There is plenty of room for improved performance at current mainstream resolutions. The big RAM eaters are scene size/complexity and textures. The more that can live and be processed fulltime on the GPU the better the overall performance. Pulling in data from the system to the GPU is a big waste of cycles while the card is waiting to get the data. Likewise, a CPU heavy game can be penalized if it needs to frequently shift stuff between its RAM and the card's RAM. So you want the card to be doing its own thing while receiving brief messages from the CPU telling it what has changed rather than big data transfers.

It may seem like an absurd amount of RAM but compare the best looking recent game to a fifteen year movie. The requirements of trying to replicate that in real time are still way up there.

Resident Evil 3 is available for pre-purchase at Greenmangaming for $45.
Anyone know any coupons to bring it further down?

Got Dragon Quest XI prepurchase last year for $35. Hoping for something similar for RE3

Ludicrous. GPU market is crap because of Nvidia pushing bleeding edge nonsense that offers marginal performance upgrades while AMD lags behind.
So while I'm not disagreeing with your main point, I suspect that the market "is crap" for the same reason it has been for sometime--Bitcoin douchebags.

8K will be a demo for the major lifespan of any gaming GPU launching this year. There is plenty of room for improved performance at current mainstream resolutions. The big RAM eaters are scene size/complexity and textures. The more that can live and be processed fulltime on the GPU the better the overall performance. Pulling in data from the system to the GPU is a big waste of cycles while the card is waiting to get the data. Likewise, a CPU heavy game can be penalized if it needs to frequently shift stuff between its RAM and the card's RAM. So you want the card to be doing its own thing while receiving brief messages from the CPU telling it what has changed rather than big data transfers.

It may seem like an absurd amount of RAM but compare the best looking recent game to a fifteen year movie. The requirements of trying to replicate that in real time are still way up there.
Once again, I'm not going to dispute anything you've said here, but, uh, I think your second paragraph undercuts your first one--how many games (and how many gamers) are really trying to see their games look like movies? (In fairness to the gaming industry, if we're talking strictly CGI, I've seen movies made in the last 2-3 years with CGI that looks worse than most of the AAA games of the last few years.) "Cinematic" games seem to be moving back in the direction of FMV rather than attempting to move forward to the notion of realistic-looking computer-generated human models that are voiced by actual humans, because it's a technology that is fully mature (in my view) now, where it was not 20 years ago. Personally, if I look at a game like The Witcher 3, Mafia III, or Diablo III--really any game with the number 3 in the title--I think, "Hey, there's nothing wrong with the way that looks." Maybe photorealistic graphics are an objective of the future, but I just don't see that many folks clamoring for it today. Honestly, I'm with Mooby--who really needs ray-tracing? I have yet to see a single feature on any card at or around $1,000 that made me think, "Yep, that makes it worth it."

EDIT: On a side note, playing the crap out of Spider-Man. Still enjoying it. In the middle of the Turf Wars DLC.

So while I'm not disagreeing with your main point, I suspect that the market "is crap" for the same reason it has been for sometime--Bitcoin douchebags.

Once again, I'm not going to dispute anything you've said here, but, uh, I think your second paragraph undercuts your first one--how many games (and how many gamers) are really trying to see their games look like movies? (In fairness to the gaming industry, if we're talking strictly CGI, I've seen movies made in the last 2-3 years with CGI that looks worse than most of the AAA games of the last few years.) "Cinematic" games seem to be moving back in the direction of FMV rather than attempting to move forward to the notion of realistic-looking computer-generated human models that are voiced by actual humans, because it's a technology that is fully mature (in my view) now, where it was not 20 years ago. Personally, if I look at a game like The Witcher 3, Mafia III, or Diablo III--really any game with the number 3 in the title--I think, "Hey, there's nothing wrong with the way that looks." Maybe photorealistic graphics are an objective of the future, but I just don't see that many folks clamoring for it today. Honestly, I'm with Mooby--who really needs ray-tracing? I have yet to see a single feature on any card at or around $1,000 that made me think, "Yep, that makes it worth it."

EDIT: On a side note, playing the crap out of Spider-Man. Still enjoying it. In the middle of the Turf Wars DLC.
The game market is diverse. Shovel Knight and The Last of Us can be popular at the same time and even with the same players. That said, there are always projects that seek to advance the bleeding edge. What is more subtle is what happens to middle budget projects over time. Things that were once bleeding edge and could only be run playably on very pricey systems are now within the reach of integrated GPUs on current processors, with big leaps ahead in the foreseeable future. The recently announced new generation of AMD APUs are still using Vega based GPUs but APUs with Navi based graphics subsystems will likely ship within a year after the new consoles launch.

That ups the ante for what modest projects that rely on a very large installed base to achieve profitable sales can target in terms of graphics sophistication. (It also increases accessibility for what tools budget constrained devs can use, thus increasing the likelihood of the techniques being applied.)

What seems absurdly pricey today is mainstream in a few years and baseline in less than a decade.

Is it just me or are like 95% of the sale prices the same as the winter sale?

Side Note - Conan Exiles is great ... but using the built in God Mode plus generating any item, enemy, etc is also awesome if you get bored or frustrated with the grind. With that said, it can easily ruin the game as you get to see end game enemies (that are sweet) and make yourself insanely overpowered. Worth a look if it’s cheap though 😉

I mean the first game I remember playing with impressive ray-tracing was Inside. I have played that on everything from my PS4 to my Gaming Desktop to my lulz mac laptop with integrated graphics. 

You can code things well or poorly. Compare Doom 2016 looking fantastic and then getting released on Nintendo Switch (obviously due to id Software caring deeply about good code) to CD Projekt Red having to delay Cyberpunk 2077 because they can't get it to run on PS4/X1. The issue really isn't outdated hardware, it's who's doing the coding. 

Is Hades worth buying right now? I generally enjoy Diablo like games, rogue lite games and unlocking abilities/items/whatever and using them in runs. Sadly I'm tempted by the $20 price just cause I may use it as a palette cleanser between me playing some other games.

Is Hades worth buying right now? I generally enjoy Diablo like games, rogue lite games and unlocking abilities/items/whatever and using them in runs. Sadly I'm tempted by the $20 price just cause I may use it as a palette cleanser between me playing some other games.
I'm going to be waiting for the 90%+ sale that every Supergiant game seems to get.

Bitcoin hasn't been an issue for gpu prices for a year now. The problem is Nvidia and AMD afterwards jumped up prices $50-150 per performance tier. Not including the insane 2080ti prices which almost doubled because ray tracing and greed.

I have a headache from going through all the insanity of AMD's launch this week of the 5600XT and last minute bios updates as nvidia lowered the rtx2060 price to $299. Its another card that is decent performance but overpriced and effectively a year late compared to nvidia's cards.

All you nerds are being played like fiddles with these sophistimacated graphics cards, while me and the other console bros are getting 2 FREE N64 games when we buy an N64 HDMI adapter for $150 at Gamestop. Can you PC morans even play Nintendo games in 480p? Sorry not sorry!

source.gif

Smell ya later, PC nerds!

DayZ or Hunt - which one is less likely to appear in a future Humble Bundle ... need some CAG psychics to weigh in
DayZ has already been in a Humble bundle. Crytek has done some things with Humble but are pretty stingy, I don't think they've put Hunt in one yet.

I don't own it myself but i am playing it via library sharing with my Bro-in-law and I have to say, I am having more fun with it than anything I can think of recently. I've put 57 hours in so far and have no plans to stop. So so good. They keep adding tons of content too with Early Access ending sometime this year. Be aware, i think you could get it from the Epic Store for $10 when it was on sale after their coupon thing.

Uh, can the N64? I thought all its supported resolution outputs higher than 288p were interlaced.
Maybe he got an MClassic?!?!?

That's a HDMI upscale cable/graphics processor.

That can be used on anything (even new stuff), but is often used on old consoles to both improve performance & resolution.

That goes for around $99-150.

Does anyone else here own the game Streets of Rogue?  I'm trying to use the Vampire character that I just unlocked and I'm playing with an Xbox One controller, but I can't figure out which button to press to make him bite people when he stands behind them.  

The game's menu isn't helpful at all, and I can't find a wiki online that explains or shows the controls.  Thanks.

gotta take breaks when needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTomMm61Ixw

lmao the kid's voice gets me every time.

Does anyone else here own the game Streets of Rogue? I'm trying to use the Vampire character that I just unlocked and I'm playing with an Xbox One controller, but I can't figure out which button to press to make him bite people when he stands behind them.

The game's menu isn't helpful at all, and I can't find a wiki online that explains or shows the controls. Thanks.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/512900/discussions/0/135511379836571344/

Not sure if that works.

I don't own it myself but i am playing it via library sharing with my Bro-in-law and I have to say, I am having more fun with it than anything I can think of recently. I've put 57 hours in so far and have no plans to stop. So so good. They keep adding tons of content too with Early Access ending sometime this year. Be aware, i think you could get it from the Epic Store for $10 when it was on sale after their coupon thing.
That $10 for Hades was a "glitch"

If anyone else has wanted to add Kohan to Steam but not pay much for doing so, Kohan Warchest (all three games) is $3 in the Lunar sale.  Forum threads sound like it takes a little effort getting it to run on Win 10, but it's a neat old fantasy RTS with custom mini-squad units and zones of control/supply.  Kohan: Ahriman's Gift is the one I'd suggest trying.

A Plague's Tale: Innocence is now on the Xbox for PC Game Pass. About 42 GB or download and install on the PC.

I'm about 4 hours or so into this. Yeah, this is really good, so far.

The storytelling, presentation, writing, dialogue, and voice-acting is really good here. And this game is really cinematic, too. This game gets so much right here in this regard, I don't even know where to begin. This is really where the game really excels at, if you ask me.

You have to play stealthy a lot. A lot of kills here are a few to no hits, so you will want to play smart, slow, and stealthy. You need to throw things like rocks & use your slingshot to distract guards/enemies. You'll need to often sneak around enemies to get to the next bush, area, place to hide, etc etc...or you'll wind up dead quickly.

There are puzzles & things of that sort. You will need to know when to avoid rats, use light to your advantage to ward them off, know when to light your torch, move blocks around to reach other areas so you can climb stuff, have your brother Hugo help you reach areas, and other things. Nothing that difficult, mind you - but these feel like stuff you would see in Tomb Raider games and Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. For some stuff, will need good timing...or since this game will kill you in a flash...yeah, since you can't take many - heck, if any - hits here.

The game looks great. The art style for its environments & characters looks great. Also, the also technical graphics quality here is great here too, to say the least. This isn't from a AAA studio, but you'd think it is here...given how well of job they've done here on this stuff. Simply put: it looks outstanding in every regard.

And now, for the worst aspect of the game: performance (of the game). The performance here at a native 1080p just isn't going to hit 60fps, if you're running say a 6GB GTX 1060 at High here; speaking from experience here (i7 7700HQ; 16 GB RAM; 6GB GTX 1060; W10 x64). You're unfortunately going to be in the 40's or 50's here on a GTX 1060 6GB card, for framerates. To keep the framerate stable at around 60fps, I set it at 1080p resolution (to keep the crisp in-game HUD's and menus), but also have it render downwards at around 90% (which would make it render in-game at 1728x972) from the graphics menu.

Despite my issue with performance, which was easily solved for me to hit 60fps (with a dynamic resolution render down a little bit), there's very little for me to complain about so far. So far, the game's really good.

If anyone else has wanted to add Kohan to Steam but not pay much for doing so, Kohan Warchest (all three games) is $3 in the Lunar sale. Forum threads sound like it takes a little effort getting it to run on Win 10, but it's a neat old fantasy RTS with custom mini-squad units and zones of control/supply. Kohan: Ahriman's Gift is the one I'd suggest trying.
It's the same price on Steam currently: https://store.steampowered.com/sub/11141/

I just bit on Hades. Watched a Let's Play and it seemed interesting. It is really fun to play even in early access. It's very quick and is really an arena fighter rouge lite where you collect materials to unlock quite a few things to make your main character the Prince of the Underworld stronger during the run and for future runs. Okay amount of weapons so far. God powers are really fun and cool to look at and all. The difficulty seems not as punishing sometimes and very punishing other times (like when the screen is filled with bombs or projectiles). Very decent enough graphics and very addictive gameplay. Unless you play it now wait for it to be cheaper and released. It's really fun though and is an excellent palette cleanser between other longer games and when you just want to do a run. 

I think that was when it went down to 7$. The recent $10 was when it was 20$ on Epic and they gave 10$ coupon around new years.
>.< that doesn’t make it $10

Edit: unless you were planning on getting an item first and the $10 coupon was just an extra perk. Someone buying just Hades wouldn’t have gotten it for $10

bread's done
Back