Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking to get a little laptop update and I'd like some opinions on this "gamer" options. I'm looking only on Amazon because I got about $600 in credits there.

Please advice between these two or if you got something to recommend that would be very welcomed as well.

HP Pavilion

Asus TUF

Thanks y'all!

@Uber

Any particular games you are trying to play here?

Is there a type of game you like to play? Do you want to play the newest and most demanding AAA games?

Do you play tons of Indies?

Are you wanting to have much of a future on your gaming laptop?

EDIT:

About the Asus TUF:

https://www.amazon.com/R5-3550H-Processor-Graphics-FX505DT-AH51-Keyboard/dp/B07VBK4SYS/?th=1

• Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 4GB graphics (base: 1395MHz, Boost: 1560MHz, TDP: 50W) - Expect 1080p60fps for most games at Medium to High. Though, I wish that had 6GB, to make it a bit more future proof.
    Link - https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1650-Laptop-GPU.416044.0.html
  • Quad-core AMD Ryzen 5 r5-3550h processor - Should be fine.
    Looks like it performs similar to a i7 7700HQ - https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7700HQ-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-3550H/m211019vsm718601
  • 15.6” 120Hz full HD (1920x1080) IPS-type display - Excellent @ high refresh rate and IPS. High refresh is great for fast-paced games, as when taking hits...you might not feel or notice it unless you're looking at the graph/stats.
  • 256GB NVMe SSD - Not much space, IMHO...since that's the only drive. It's good that this is SSD, as those are really fast. Boot times slaughter regular HDD's here. About 30GB of that will be eaten by W10 x64 itself. Get more space, even if it's just for storage space.
  • 8GB DDR4 RAM - I'd recommend upgrading to 16GB, if possible.

i put off getting a haircut for so long, now my barber is closed because of beer plague. guess i' gonna hafta shave my goddamn head.

12 is better than 6 - 2WMBV-0PXDH-AI42Z
HITMAN: The Complete First Season -  9XJL2-9BY7T-P4BVP
Among the Sleep - Enhanced Edition - MWPNV-A86YL-N3DZ5
BATTLETECH - H3IHX-J9IGR-58DYT
Big Pharma - DCAW8-3IZ24-9MQY8

@Uber

Any particular games you are trying to play here?

Is there a type of game you like to play? Do you want to play the newest and most demanding AAA games?
Do you play tons of Indies?

Are you wanting to have much of a future on your gaming laptop?

EDIT:
About the Asus TUF:
https://www.amazon.com/R5-3550H-Processor-Graphics-FX505DT-AH51-Keyboard/dp/B07VBK4SYS/?th=1

• Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 4GB graphics (base: 1395MHz, Boost: 1560MHz, TDP: 50W) - Expect 1080p60fps for most games at Medium to High. Though, I wish that had 6GB, to make it a bit more future proof.
    Link - https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1650-Laptop-GPU.416044.0.html
  • Quad-core AMD Ryzen 5 r5-3550h processor - Should be fine.
    Looks like it performs similar to a i7 7700HQ - https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7700HQ-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-3550H/m211019vsm718601
  • 15.6” 120Hz full HD (1920x1080) IPS-type display - Excellent @ high refresh rate and IPS. High refresh is great for fast-paced games, as when taking hits...you might not feel or notice it unless you're looking at the graph/stats.
  • 256GB NVMe SSD - Not much space, IMHO...since that's the only drive. It's good that this is SSD, as those are really fast. Boot times slaughter regular HDD's here. About 30GB of that will be eaten by W10 x64 itself. Get more space, even if it's just for storage space.
  • 8GB DDR4 RAM - I'd recommend upgrading to 16GB, if possible.
My current laptop runs a 2.5Ghz i5 processor with Intel HD4000 graphics. Lol

I can play a few games but would like to do a bit more modern ones. I'm not looking for ultra settings at 120fps. Some games I'd like to play are Division 2,the new Call of Duty, Destiny 2, Red Dead Redemption 2. Those are probably the heavy titles.

I want a keyboard that lights up, doesn't have to be full RGB (or whatever is called) and do some audio recording.

Well, with the plague going on no one is going to see you anyhow. :)

Unless your essential personal or something like that.
It surprises me a little the way that people don't maintain certain standards of personal grooming during lockdown. I heard a reporter say on a podcast yesterday that she put a sticky note over her phone camera so people couldn't see her when she asked a question during a Zoom press conference and this morning I heard a congressman say that a TV appearance last night was the excuse he needed to shave for the first time in four days. Sure, other people may not see you, but you should have a modicum of self-respect. . . .

With everything going on, what better time to dig into that backlog...

Rm53ofQ.png

Eh, might not be in the right frame of mind for that one. What do I have installed on Game Pass...

mJpuS4L.png

Ya know what maybe I'll just play more Spelunky.

The only good thing to come from the apocalypse so far is the constant stream of free games.

A Mortician's Tale is free to download or claim on itch.io (no Steam key) until 12/30/2020.

https://itch.io/s/28932/pwyc-sale

Barro is free to claim on Steam until 4/3/2020.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/618140/Barro/

Hellion is free to claim on Steam until 3/30/2020.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/588210/HELLION/

Martian Law is free to claim on Steam until 4/10/2020.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1135570/Martian_Law/

The Deed is free to claim on Steam until 3/30/2020.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/420740/The_Deed/

Uni is free to claim on Steam until 3/31/2020.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1011300/UNI/

Stolen from Reddit: Current and upcoming promotions for games on Steam that will be free-to-play or free-to-keep.

Link

Notable upcoming free weekends:

Imperator: Rome

The Elder Scrolls Online

Risk of Rain 2

Gears 5

Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Free to play on Xbox One this weekend. I don't see it free to play on Steam this weekend.
That site says it'll have a free weekend next weekend. Not sure how reliable it is.

Did anybody sign up for a free Steamworld game and hear anything back? I'm sure I wasn't one of the first 1000 people to sign up, but I did see on twitter them say that the response was so good that they'd see if they could do more than 1000 free copies.

For anyone who has played both, will I miss much story stuff if I skip rage 1 and go straight to rage 2?  I've had rage 1 in my backlog for awhile but I figure by the time I play it and get around to rage 2 it will likely be off gamepass.  For whatever reason I have a hard time skipping games in a series, even assassins creed stuff I'm trying to play through in order (which is why I'll probably be stuck on assassins creed 3 forever).

On the same note, does Wolfenstein Youngblood further the story from the first two games or is it its own thing?  I will hopefully finish plague tale this weekend so I'm trying to see what I should aim for on gamepass next.

For anyone who has played both, will I miss much story stuff if I skip rage 1 and go straight to rage 2? I've had rage 1 in my backlog for awhile but I figure by the time I play it and get around to rage 2 it will likely be off gamepass.
Rage 1 is the better game, by far, imho. Rage 2 is weak sauce and a pale imitation of classic id, with a story that is absolutely forgettable. This is coming from someone who put their money down for the Rage 2 deluxe stupid super edition preorder as soon as they could. but of course ymmv

What still keeps me up at night is why would Bethsoft cancel prey 2, which looked truly cool and interesting, but not abort the paint-by-numbers dogshit that was released as a Rage sequel?

It surprises me a little the way that people don't maintain certain standards of personal grooming during lockdown. I heard a reporter say on a podcast yesterday that she put a sticky note over her phone camera so people couldn't see her when she asked a question during a Zoom press conference and this morning I heard a congressman say that a TV appearance last night was the excuse he needed to shave for the first time in four days. Sure, other people may not see you, but you should have a modicum of self-respect. . . .
I suspect she didn't want to put on makeup and all that... which is understandable.

As for not shaving... It's nearly playoff beard season so fuck that shit. :lol:

What still keeps me up at night is why would Bethsoft cancel prey 2, which looked truly cool and interesting, but not abort the paint-by-numbers dogshit that was released as a Rage sequel?
Supposedly, the rumors & theories goes like this:

Zenimax (who owns Bethesda) tries to hold back milestone $ (which is often crucial to fund the game & the staff) that they are contracted for w/ said independent company (who Zenimax doesn't own yet, but wants to); they (Zenimax) make a low-ball offer to buy-out said company; try to buy companies dirt-cheap and whatnot so they can own them, their IP and so they can have more control over the game to be done in their way & to get them to finish it up.

Human Head refused their buy-out offers numerous times - thus, which can cause financial problems (at the studio) when they don't meet milestones and/or don't get that milestone $ (to keep them afloat). This can often cause a project...to be cancelled, if they don't have enough $ and staff to keep the game in development.

Basically: they (Zenimax) try to starve a company's $ and funding...so they sell-out and wind-up under the Zenimax umbrella.

Supposedly - they pulled this stunt w/ Human Head, Arkane, and Splash Damage...back when these companies were still independent.

And worse yet, legally on the contract, HH was only allowed to work on one game: Prey 2.

And supposedly, Human Head's Prey 2 was basically almost done.

Basically...for a publisher like Zenimax, it's all about getting a product out there and making $; and also having power & control.

Things worth a read on this whole mess:

NeoGAF - https://www.neogaf.com/threads/ex-human-head-developer-alleges-on-twitter-that-bethesda-is-lying-about-prey-2.573221/page-2

Kotaku - https://kotaku.com/we-hear-the-people-behind-dishonored-are-now-working-on-510646344

Reddit - https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1fqkcx/ign_bethesda_tried_to_kill_human_head_prey_2_to/

IGN - https://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/05/what-went-wrong-with-human-heads-prey-2?abthid=51af79d92aabedda5500000c

EDIT:

And, in memory of Human Head's Prey 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPMr0joaE6A

I'm sure everyone already saw this, but it just so funny.

My parents called me last week to tell me they thought China created the virus so they could dominate the 5G market. Then they called me again this week to tell me that there's a patent on COVID-19 from 2003 (though the "19" means 2019) and it's actually the US who won't let kids go back to school until they get a nanochip vaccine so the government can keep track of them. Note: my parents get the name of the virus right maybe 10% of the time (Carundavirus, Canoravirus, Corvid-19, etc.). Wish I was joking.

By the way the OP had to leave a disclaimer in the post, I was expecting some crackpot conspiracy theory like that. He actually just made a funny, self-parodying video about how people talk vs. how they act. Goes to show you that the internet is full of toxicity and ignorance.

Picked up Hunter: Call of the Wild after deciding to see what it was like while it was free to try.  I like it, the scenery is pretty nice and the game is super relaxing to me, outside of the odd bug or two and sometimes animals that are wounded practically warp away before dying.  Sometimes there is a trail, sometimes there is not.  Usually I find the body but sometimes it seems to just vanish.   I've spent hours doing practically nothing, sitting in cover waiting for something to wander through, wandered aimlessly looking for bears because some dude told me to get pictures of them.  It should all be very boring but I've played for hours and hours straight and find it difficult to put down.  

Right now is one of the worst times in history to spend a good amount of money on an enthusiast grade graphics card.  There's going to be a giant leap forward when the RTX 3000 series comes out and the high-end cards are going to instantly lose about 40-50% of their value. 

Save $500-700 till the end of the year if you're in the market for something high-end.  They are likely to become available around September, give or take a month. 

Right now is one of the worst times in history to spend a good amount of money on an enthusiast grade graphics card. There's going to be a giant leap forward when the RTX 3000 series comes out and the high-end cards are going to instantly lose about 40-50% of their value.

Save $500-700 till the end of the year if you're in the market for something high-end. They are likely to become available around September, give or take a month.
Thanks, good to know. I have a GTX 1060 stuffed into an 8-year-old pre-built Dell computer. I've finally reached the point where the motherboard is making future upgrades more difficult. I'm trying to migrate over from consoles, so now that the 1060 has given me a decent taste of PC gaming, I'd like to build an actual "gaming PC" that's futureproofed a bit more.

I'm using the quarantine to work on the Steam backlog. It's hilarious, isn't it? The world is on some lockdown shit here now. My life hasn't been affected in the slightest. Absolutely nothing is different. Nothing has changed. Society already put me into isolation.
We all have been training for this for many years.

I have my fill of crazy from watching Tiger King on Netflix while also playing Ori and the Will of the Wisps on Game Pass. 

The world is services now...

Right now is one of the worst times in history to spend a good amount of money on an enthusiast grade graphics card. There's going to be a giant leap forward when the RTX 3000 series comes out and the high-end cards are going to instantly lose about 40-50% of their value.

Save $500-700 till the end of the year if you're in the market for something high-end. They are likely to become available around September, give or take a month.
Yeah, listen to this advice. Nvidia is stated to reveal the 3000 RTX series in August, with the launch expected in September. The specs in that article suggest that the 3070 is only 5% slower than the current 2080 Ti. Now, no prices have been given, but given that the 2070 Super is a sub $600 card, I dont think there is any way the 3070 will approach the $1100+ cost of a new 2080 Ti.

Yeah, listen to this advice. Nvidia is stated to reveal the 3000 RTX series in August, with the launch expected in September. The specs in that article suggest that the 3070 is only 5% slower than the current 2080 Ti. Now, no prices have been given, but given that the 2070 Super is a sub $600 card, I dont think there is any way the 3070 will approach the $1100+ cost of a new 2080 Ti.
All this, plus the ryzen4/zen3 chips are supposed to be dropping along the same time frame, which should provide a pretty big improvement over the current gen ryzens if the server parts are anything to go off of. They will probably equal intel or surpass, gaming wise, and have better perf multi-core wise. Also the availability of more mobos supporting pcie4, and a slim possibility of ddr5 (not holding out for that one). The time to do a new build is really ~oct+ of this year

yeah my build is old but the specs of everything im seeing for everyones favorite cpu/gpu combos is still sub 60fps on good settings in 4k. 

im content with milking my current pc a little longer and playing at 1080p til i see what kind of specs games developed for next gen are actually gonna demand.

I have my fill of crazy from watching Tiger King on Netflix while also playing Ori and the Will of the Wisps on Game Pass.

The world is services now...
I just started watching Tiger King this week with a couple of my friends. It's so good. I'm not sure if I've ever seen a more engaging documentary before. This show is like a double-edged sword. First, it's a good story about all of these eccentric crazy people but then you've got all the interesting big cats and animal stuff going on too.

Precisely. There's a really good chance you're going to be able to get a card that does with overclocks what a 2080 Ti does today, for a mere $500 (up to $600 for one of the good aftermarket models from EVGA). That RTX 3070 is going to be the new sweet spot for top performance before you get large diminishing returns on your money spent.

You don't even have to worry about the out-of-whack pricing structure on the 3080 or the 3080 Ti. Below are the new models proceeding from the 2080 Ti, 2080, and 2070 respectively:

NVIDIA Ampere GPUs

GA102 - 84 SMs / 5376 CUDA cores / 12GB GDDR6 / 384-bit bus - 40% faster than RTX 2080 Ti
GA103 - 60 SMs / 3840 CUDA cores / 10GB GDDR6 / 320-bit bus - 10% faster than RTX 2080 Ti
GA104 - 48 SMs / 3072 CUDA cores / 8GB GDDR6 / 256-bit bus - 5% slower than RTX 2080 Ti

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/71467/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-august-2020-reveal-launch-at-computex/index.html

Precisely. There's a really good chance you're going to be able to get a card that does with overclocks what a 2080 Ti does today, for a mere $500 (up to $600 for one of the good aftermarket models from EVGA). That RTX 3070 is going to be the new sweet spot for top performance before you get large diminishing returns on your money spent.

You don't even have to worry about the out-of-whack pricing structure on the 3080 or the 3080 Ti. Below are the new models proceeding from the 2080 Ti, 2080, and 2070 respectively:

NVIDIA Ampere GPUs
GA102 - 84 SMs / 5376 CUDA cores / 12GB GDDR6 / 384-bit bus - 40% faster than RTX 2080 Ti
GA103 - 60 SMs / 3840 CUDA cores / 10GB GDDR6 / 320-bit bus - 10% faster than RTX 2080 Ti
GA104 - 48 SMs / 3072 CUDA cores / 8GB GDDR6 / 256-bit bus - 5% slower than RTX 2080 Ti
Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/71467/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-august-2020-reveal-launch-at-computex/index.html

Isn't this true about every hardware cycle though? A 2070 does what a 1080 did, a 1070 matched a 980,etc...at a cheaper price point.

It boils down to - do you want to spend the extra money now or wait 6-8 months and fight supply issues, but have the same performance around half the cost.

Im riding a 1060 now and it serves well enough but I'd love to upgrade since I recently got a 1440p 144hz monitor. Before this it would take me 5yrs to upgrade since I didn't have a big reason but now it'd be nice to have the extra juice of a x70 for 1440.

As much as I'd like to be current Gen I'll probably end up waiting until the 30xx come around, then a bit longer until the 20xxs drop and get one of those.

Anyone think hardware prices might dip somewhat given the massive downturn in the economy?
that's one way to look at it. another is supply and demand. if all you morans are staying at home and are thinking, "i better upgrade my rig while i'm stuck here." and everyone starts buying up shit cuz boredom, well... let's see what happens in the time to come

I know two people that have bought the Valve Index in the last couple of weeks.  Both of them basically said "now I have something to do while stuck at home"  so... yeah.

bread's done
Back