Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
I have no idea what any of that means, but congratulations, I think.  I could not sleep so I decided to read for a bit, gave up on getting sleepy from that and then I  uh... watched this video in its entirety.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAh9oLs67Cw

I truly understand 1x1 now.

Fall Guys is really fun for an hour or two but starts wearing thin quickly.  Worth the download on PS+ for free but absolutely not worth the asking price on Steam IMHO, at least right now.  Too little variety and too many players who make no effort to win or to help on team objectives, but just try to get in the way, slow people down or just be annoying.  Of course that might be worse on console than on PC, especially since it was free, but I am sure the problem is still going to be present to some extent.  If you absolutely must have it, the game is on Humble now so you can save 20% if you are a subscriber but I think that is still too much.  

Quake 3 is going to be included for free after quakecon too. Also, sounds like you do have to log into the bethesda launcher at least once during the weekend.
Nice @ them giving away Q3.

Will this be coming w/ the Team Arena expansion?

Q1 from Beth.Net launcher does not come w/ the expansions.

Do they even sell the expansions for Q1,Q2,Q3 on the Beth.Net Store?

Ironically, however, my biggest difficulty was attempting to remove the account that was on the one that I was working on all afternoon. It's obviously out of warranty at this point which is why it was getting recycled, but I can't get past the damn username and password screen to get into them since I can't log onto the work server with it anymore.
So there's probably a workaround with what you're wanting to do. But here's what I would do:
Buy a $25 256gb sata 2.5" ssd (avoid QLC). Install to system.
Turn a cheap flash drive into a bootable USB win10 install disk (pretty easy process just look it up).
Enter bios or boot menu, force a boot to USB. Fresh new install of win10 on the ssd (not upgrade).
Reformat 1tb hdd to be empty storage space.
Problems solved. Enjoy not having wasted any time with Win8 or a mechanical drive.

As others have stated, I also would either stay with integrated graphics or add something that would let you play anything in your library, like this)

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone else get a math lesson via PM?
giphy.gif

So there's probably a workaround with what you're wanting to do. But here's what I would do:
Buy a $25 256gb sata 2.5" ssd. Avoid anything that says QLC. Install to system.
Turn a cheap flash drive into a bootable USB win10 install disk (pretty easy process just look it up).
Enter bios or boot menu, force a boot to USB. Fresh new install of win10 on the ssd (not upgrade).
Reformat 1tb hdd to be empty storage space.
Problems solved. Enjoy not having wasted any time with Win8 or a mechanical drive.

As others have stated, I also would either stay with integrated graphics or add something that would let you play anything in your library, like this)
I appreciate it, buddy. I will continue working on this project, but I won't keep clogging up the thread with my questions lest we miss any deals.

In other news, my frustration lead me to buy a $40 Asus Tinkerboard this morning.

Since I don't have a wife, I find that I'm just not frustrated enough these days, so I turn to "do-it-yourself" technology projects when I want to upset myself.

I appreciate it, buddy. I will continue working on this project, but I won't keep clogging up the thread with my questions lest we miss any deals.

In other news, my frustration lead me to buy a $40 Asus Tinkerboard this morning.

Since I don't have a wife, I find that I'm just not frustrated enough these days, so I turn to "do-it-yourself" technology projects when I want to upset myself.
I imagine you'd be frustrated in other ways. Though I guess that's what those MLP dakimakura are for?

You can always buy a Pi 3 and turn it into a Pi Hole to satiate both needs. Not only is the setup frustrating, but the end result is blocking almost all ads.

I won't let being a couple days late to the party prevent me from saying that GTAV holds the title of most overrated game I've ever played. I got through maybe 15 hours of it and it was:
"We're crime guys! Let's go do crimes! Wow, we sure did screw up that crime! Now someone is stealing our lunch money and giving us a wedgie. But we're crime guys! Let's go do crimes!..."
Over and over again, broken up by the hilarity of some middle-aged guy's slutty daughter flipping him off or Trevor breaking comic barriers by banging a stuffed animal and pooping. Total Lulz!!

Have had a really great last week in Div 2. I got a Big Horn drop, finished the last legendarily I hadn't ran, completed the new raid, got a perfect Fox's Prayer to finally drop, perfect providence holster, completed the blue apparel cache (have all current 100 items in it), and finished the recalibration library for gear. (I have a few needed roll for each weapon type.)

Like I said its been a good week of looting!
I feel like Div 2 is in a good place right now. During the recent apparel cache event I got done with the grind way earlier than before. I did play more, but I was also doing the events and leagues and stuff so it didn't feel like pointless grinding.

Syntax hasn't gotten good enough to carry us through a legendary so no Big Horn here. I teamed up with some randos to complete the Dark Hours raid twice yesterday but no Eagle Bearer (missed a key box the first time). I'll keep grinding that one out every week and keep my fingers crossed. I've got multiples of most every other exotic at this point.

I feel like Div 2 is in a good place right now. During the recent apparel cache event I got done with the grind way earlier than before. I did play more, but I was also doing the events and leagues and stuff so it didn't feel like pointless grinding.

Syntax hasn't gotten good enough to carry us through a legendary so no Big Horn here. I teamed up with some randos to complete the Dark Hours raid twice yesterday but no Eagle Bearer (missed a key box the first time). I'll keep grinding that one out every week and keep my fingers crossed. I've got multiples of most every other exotic at this point.
Yeah, no Eagle Bearer here either. Granted, I don't go out of my way to raid, I just do it when friends want too and with my days off being the normal weekend my buds have usually finished their raiding by then. I think I have 8 or so completions.

I too finished the Apparel Event really early. I randomly matchmake into challenging missions but once I realized I was going to be good I went back to heroic for loot plus XP. (Challenging you often matchmake in the later parts of missions while heroic people wait around for a group to form.)

Skyscraper in TU 11. I'm shocked it's coming so soon.

Yeah, no Eagle Bearer here either. Granted, I don't go out of my way to raid, I just do it when friends want too and with my days off being the normal weekend my buds have usually finished their raiding by then. I think I have 8 or so completions.

I too finished the Apparel Event really early. I randomly matchmake into challenging missions but once I realized I was going to be good I went back to heroic for loot plus XP. (Challenging you often matchmake in the later parts of missions while heroic people wait around for a group to form.)

When I was solo grinding I just went with my shield/pistol and did challenging with 4 directives, but lately I've been doing some solo Heroic after watching a few build videos on Youtube. The bro squad has pretty much gotten heroic down so it's not really a huge challenge like it used to be, but it seems like Legendary is 10x as hard, at least for us. Wish there was a little more balance in the difficulties.

I won't let being a couple days late to the party prevent me from saying that GTAV holds the title of most overrated game I've ever played. I got through maybe 15 hours of it and it was:
"We're crime guys! Let's go do crimes! Wow, we sure did screw up that crime! Now someone is stealing our lunch money and giving us a wedgie. But we're crime guys! Let's go do crimes!..."
Over and over again, broken up by the hilarity of some middle-aged guy's slutty daughter flipping him off or Trevor breaking comic barriers by banging a stuffed animal and pooping. Total Lulz!!
I'm not here to tell anyone how to play or enjoy a game, but I don't think very many people approach GTA expecting it to have some masterful, compelling narrative or anything like that. The missions are mainly there to set up action movie-like set pieces, I don't really think they're meant to be taken seriously as part of ongoing character-development arc or anything like that. I mean, there's even a point in the story where Franklin points out that he's still largely doing the same shit (dirty jobs for other people) after meeting Michael and Trevor, than he was before he met them. Besides, did anyone really go into the story thinking any of the characters would "see the error of his ways" and stop doing criminal shit? That would defeat the whole purpose of the game. Since their inception, GTA has always been a crime simulator (it's in the name ffs). The reason I have so many hours in the game is not because of it's amazing story, but because of how fun it is to fuck around in the open world (which, say what you want about the story, the world is expertly crafted). Hell, the whole idea of the "open world sandbox" was spawned by the GTA franchise. It's even more fun playing in that sandbox with friends online, which is easy to do with an invite only session.

I see this game in much the same way I see Always Sunny in Philadelphia - it's about terrible people doing terrible things, none of the characters ever learn anything or become better people, and much of the humor can be considered crass or low-brow, but the way it wholeheartedly and unabashedly embraces that is precisely what makes it enjoyable (at least for me).

I'm not here to tell anyone how to play or enjoy a game, but I don't think very many people approach GTA expecting it to have some masterful, compelling narrative or anything like that.
Never said it should be. However, it failed both as a "masterful, compelling narrative" and as a fun crime romp since each chapter ended with "lol u guys suck so hard u so dumb" rather than feeling as though you, you know, actually pulled off a crime. If I wanted the first (well "masterful" per the low bar of video games), I'd play Mafia II. If I wanted a fun crime romp that felt fulfilling, I'd play Saints Row the Third. GTAV failed to hit either of those marks or even fit in a comfortable intersection.

I suppose it has the "open world" thing going on but I'm not especially interesting in playing video golf or video yoga or video rollercoaster.

This talk of GTA V got me playing Rez.

And all I can think is my crust pie hole wants pi 4 mixed with jam with onboard cooling RAM 8 GB just to play a black and white Gameboy Wario Land.

Never said it should be. However, it failed both as a "masterful, compelling narrative" and as a fun crime romp since each chapter ended with "lol u guys suck so hard u so dumb" rather than feeling as though you, you know, actually pulled off a crime. If I wanted the first (well "masterful" per the low bar of video games), I'd play Mafia II. If I wanted a fun crime romp that felt fulfilling, I'd play Saints Row the Third. GTAV failed to hit either of those marks or even fit in a comfortable intersection.

I suppose it has the "open world" thing going on but I'm not especially interesting in playing video golf or video yoga or video rollercoaster.
I don't think GTA5 had the best narrative, characters, and whatnot of the GTA series - but it might be the best overall game to me. A lot of this game's elements, it ticks the boxes of what players want out of GTA. Big sandbox to do stuff in? Yup, major check. A good lead? Heck, you have three different leads here - just find one that speaks best to you. Michael's another version of Tommy Vecetti, but he has issues with his family; Franklin's another CJ and has his own issues; and Trevor's just every GTA player that wants to do insane, crazy, and off-the-wall stuff in the game-world...but Trevor's insane madness happens in missions too.

I dunno, but for me...best narrative and story probably goes to GTA4 (base). Niko, Roman, and Dimitri - man, was all that stuff good. But, for most people - they didn't like that it really didn't have the fun factor that other GTA's had; GTA4 base was meant to be more realistic. The "fun" stuff felt like they got bolted onto each GTA4 DLC more and more - as fans wanted more "fun". TLATD was more fun than GTA4 base; and Tony went hog-wild with crazy over-the-top missions with just the first mission alone, setting the tone...and continuing on that route for the rest of the game.

GTA5 took the "kitchen sink" approach and felt like a greatest hits of many GTA's. It also had a lot of the complaints of "long missions" w/ autosaves in the midst of them - so if and when you failed, you didn't have to go back and start over from scratch. My Gosh, seemed like each GTA had a crazy mission that would drive you nuts until you got it right - i.e. VC with the RC Mission; SA with the train mission & one of the Chinatown missions. Pretty much, GTA4 solved this - but GTA5 kept on w/ this.

About Mafia - Mafia series, both Mafia 1 and 2, are great; especially w/ the story & character stuff.

I wish I could finish up Mafia III, as that game is also great at story, presentation, and narrative - but eh, it's got issues. A bunch of them. Mafia 3 ain't the best running game; it has too much repetitive main and side missions; and a lot of the side stuff can get in the way of doing the main stuff. Mafia 3, for better and worst, got turned into an open-world UbiSoft-style Mafia title - and Mafia series was at it best, being linear and story-focused.

That was more overhyped than overrated. GTAV was boring but people still fawn all over it even today.
I think Black & White was both overhyped and overrated. It was hyped to the moon, before it even came out. Then, critics gave it insane reviews, around release. While the first island was fun and a blast - then you go to the next one. Do it again. Then another. Without much changes or anything, in gameplay, variety, quests, or anything. It's a shame, as B&W1 was one of the most unique and interesting games, for those early hours. But, I dunno - it fell apart, not too long later.

B&W2 did a much better job of the variety w/ quests and stuff - but, I didn't finish that either. I really liked the new "War" element & mechanic in that sequel, as you and your creature could basically wage wars. It felt like it added a lot more to the actual game itself.

Also, I liked Fable 3 - but that was overrated too. Was good, especially the Being King stuff - but never felt like it lived up to the greatness of the original Fable: TLC. Though, I wish Fable 2 would get a PC port; never played it.

Apparel event... Manly term for fashion show.

Do you guys model your European carryalls?

GreatDefiniteArcticfox-size_restricted.gif

Finished-up Dragon Age: Inquisition - The Descent DLC.

Took me about 10 hours.

Probably would've been less hours, but...got stuck for a few hours in these Deep Roads as there were some tough sections without allowing for saving (as it's long-winded & a battlefield type of fight with waves of enemies - which can go on for at least 20-30 minutes); and a really tough boss fight.

It really seems like...BioWare decided to make DLC's like Jaws of Hakkon and The Descent quite difficult at times to pad them out and to give more of a challenge to their hardcore fans...where both DLC's are each in the 5 hours to 10 hours ballpark, depending on how things go for you in these DLC's and how much of the content you tackle here.

Regardless, those two DLC's are solid in the lore, storytelling & character stuff; offer-up some good loot; and of course The Descent has David Hayter (as Renn) - but don't expect a ton of choices/consequences and/or things of that sort in either. Hakkon was basically more open-world DAI similar to that of the Hinterlands; and basically The Descent DLC is a big CRPG dungeon crawl.

I've had two good and solid DLC's with DAI, but....I'm hoping Trespasser is great. I'll have to find out for myself, sooner or later.

GreatDefiniteArcticfox-size_restricted.gif
I mean, I get pretty fucking excited about my outfit in D2 and I coordinate all my pieces of gear and my gun skins. And oof, when I get a mask to match, game over, just strutting around like I'm the cock of the walk.

Isyv5El.jpg

When I was solo grinding I just went with my shield/pistol and did challenging with 4 directives, but lately I've been doing some solo Heroic after watching a few build videos on Youtube. The bro squad has pretty much gotten heroic down so it's not really a huge challenge like it used to be, but it seems like Legendary is 10x as hard, at least for us. Wish there was a little more balance in the difficulties.
I pretty much do random group play... Not because I like people, far too many people whose solo goal is to block shots, but because more people mean more possible loot drops. I've created a pistol + shield build but you pretty much need to use the Liberty pistol and I don't really like the kick on it. I'm pretty positive my normal build (5 red + 1 blue) Focused Classic M1A with composure clears stuff far quicker and with the end of combat XP rewards I get more XP also. (If I had to guess I average 25-26 headshot kills in a normal 4 man mission.

Legendary is about crowd control, knowing whats up ahead, and running away (tactical retreating) when need be. Each mission is a little different also in which skills you want, my buddy who does the bulk of the healing/crowd control has like 12 different builds and he uses multiple for each mission. Me? I just shoot shit in the head.

I mean, I get pretty fucking excited about my outfit in D2 and I coordinate all my pieces of gear and my gun skins. And oof, when I get a mask to match, game over, just strutting around like I'm the cock of the walk.
Mine, as I'm sure comes to know surprise to anyone. looks like he just came back out of the battlefield. The only change is a "Daggers" watchcap to honor the loss of real world sports. (The Daggers is DC's hockey team within the game's world) So I won't bug people with a picture.

I've created a pistol + shield build but you pretty much need to use the Liberty pistol and I don't really like the kick on it.
I hate D50/Liberty and always use an M45A1 with my shield builds. I haven't noticed a problem keeping my shield up through 4-man Heroic and Tanking isn't really a Legendary thing anyway. Can't speak for the raids (maybe in IH? I understand DH is all about the DPS). This is with a six blue Bulwark shield build, not trying to tank with a Crusader or anything.

It took me V+ years to finally beat GTAV and the only thing that ever brought me back to the game was just wanting to drive around the map for a while or test out some new hardware. Not a fun game, to say the least. But I beat it, which is more than I will ever be able to say for Red Dead 2.

I hate D50/Liberty and always use an M45A1 with my shield builds. I haven't noticed a problem keeping my shield up through 4-man Heroic and Tanking isn't really a Legendary thing anyway. Can't speak for the raids (maybe in IH? I understand DH is all about the DPS). This is with a six blue Bulwark shield build, not trying to tank with a Crusader or anything.
I've gotten used to the Liberty but it's shoot, pause, shoot, pause, shoot pause. Sometimes I run with like a 30 clip bb gun and I put a supressor on it for fun so it's just pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew

With all of this polarizing GTA V talk, I'm glad I went with playing Red Dead Redemption 2 a few weeks ago.  I finished it this weekend and WOW!  I did not want the story to end.  I stayed away from this game for a while because of all the maintenance and chores that I thought needed to be done in order to progress but I think Rockstar did a good job incorporating them - making the small stuff feel as though I was contributing to the gang and not some arbitrary mechanic.

The story, narrative, and character development was good and I liked how it was creatively told in a way that is unique to gaming.  How the story is told and the way the world is built between characters is better than the story itself.  I think there were some directions that could have been taken to make it better - especially in the Chapter 6.

All in all, I enjoyed my time in the world and hope there comes a time when Rockstar decides to make a PC port of the first RDR.

You joke, but I see so many men carrying bags these days that I'm beginning to feel like I'm the weird one for NOT carrying a purse.

Would certainly make lugging a damn tablet around easier.

Can we all just agree the best game is the game of collecting games?
I dunno, man, I'm getting tired of that one. I'm just +1ing games I actually want for the most part these days.

Not that I ever play them.

Can we all just agree the best game is the game of collecting games?
I dunno, man, I'm getting tired of that one. I'm just +1ing games I actually want for the most part these days.
I have some limited edition consoles, jrpg LE/CE's, that kind of thing. Not an impressive collection by most standards, but includes the[customspoiler='stuff I care about.'][attachment=34400:sora fc premuim.jpg][/customspoiler]

In my view, a list of quickly-depreciating digital licences for games I will never play isn't a collection. It's a reminder of my wasted time and/or money.

The chance of stuff getting more worthless as time goes on (value wise) is very high. I'm trying to play stuff more quickly when I acquire it though that's not as easy. Also as my sister told me (she has an ebay store) is it's much easier to acquire stuff than get rid of it for value. I think i'm going to take a really big look at my collection and just get rid of/donate stuff that I know wont get played like low quality RPGs or some random junk I got cheap.

You joke, but I see so many men carrying bags these days that I'm beginning to feel like I'm the weird one for NOT carrying a purse.

Would certainly make lugging a damn tablet around easier.
There's a difference between carrying bags for hand tools to do manly things and carrying a phablet bag to one of the COVID-friendly Starbucks to write your novel in public, though. If you actually need to carry more than your keys, your wallet, and your knife/sword/defensive weapon of choice, then you're more than justified and shouldn't care what others think. But when viewed as compulsory to fit despite not being necessary, the act of carrying a man-purse comes off as pretentious.

You could also look less pretentious by carrying a backpack instead of a man-purse, but that's also easy to steal. And your choice of backpack could have various consequences: choosing a hiking backpack is fine, but packing it as if you're homeless will get you nasty looks, especially given that some of us PC Master Race neckbeards are even less hygienic than usual during the pandemic; choosing a Hello Kitty, Batman, or Naruto gourd backpack will just result in you getting beaten up and optionally mugged, so my advice there is to open carry a firearm instead of your favorite weeb katana. Non-neckbeard types will want to watch out when wearing a child's backpack as well, since this is most widely-known as the "I'm a drug dealer" look.

And of course, carrying your shit around in a briefcase will probably get you shot. Y'all played GTA V so you know how that goes...

May CAG's "self-appointed, Mod tattling, deals-only-discussion-posting equivalent of a meter maid" strike me down, but...

Has anyone ever had any problems running older games (mine have all been circa 2012 - 2014), specifically a no sound issue?

The Darkness II, Far Cry 3, Bioshock Infinite and more (I've no doubts)... none of them play sound, even after uninstalling/reinstalling. I'm not positive it's a DirectX bug, but every time I launch them, the installer window pops up with "Performing First Time Set Up... DirectX dist". Trying to repair those files never produces any positive results, as I'm 90% sure the updater only checks the version #, but the error log consistently returns:

[08/07/20 15:34:29] module: dxupdate(Mar 30 2011), file: dxupdate.cpp, line: 2234, function: RegisterDLL

Failed API: LoadLibraryEx()
Error: (193) - %1 is not a valid Win32 application.

Unable to load C:\WINDOWS\system32\XAudio2_7.dll.

Downloading and replacing that specific .dll doesn't change the lack of game sound and the installer pop up still manifests.

This is driving me nuts and, I assure you, I was already pretty crazy before I discovered these problems.

May CAG's "self-appointed, Mod tattling, deals-only-discussion-posting equivalent of a meter maid" strike me down, but...

Has anyone ever had any problems running older games (mine have all been circa 2012 - 2014), specifically a no sound issue?

The Darkness II, Far Cry 3, Bioshock Infinite and more (I've no doubts)... none of them play sound, even after uninstalling/reinstalling. I'm not positive it's a DirectX bug, but every time I launch them, the installer window pops up with "Performing First Time Set Up... DirectX dist". Trying to repair those files never produces any positive results, as I'm 90% sure the updater only checks the version #, but the error log consistently returns:

[08/07/20 15:34:29] module: dxupdate(Mar 30 2011), file: dxupdate.cpp, line: 2234, function: RegisterDLL

Downloading and replacing that specific .dll doesn't change the lack of game sound and the installer pop up still manifests.

This is driving me nuts and, I assure you, I was already pretty crazy before I discovered these problems.
What kind audio-card are you running? And how many speakers you got going?

While this may be old - Darkness 2 don't support 7.1.

Try 5.1 or 2.1 - https://forums.2k.com/showthread.php?118111-Sound-problem-Help-me-please!!!&p=1507733#post1507733

Far Cry 3 also support only up to 5.1 on audio. So, use 2.1 or 5.1 - https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Far_Cry_3#Audio

Bioshock Infinite - same thing with another older game. Use 2.1 or 5.1 - https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/BioShock_Infinite#Audio

7.1 isn't supported.

Yeah, drove me crazy...and to buy a console. Iirc, my issues were usually something to do with the realtek audio driver. I spent more time trying to get games to run on my htpc than playing them.

I think it had to do with the game launcher, the game, and/or the audio driver all being on the same page. I'd start troubleshooting with realtek if you have it. The Ubi launcher seemed to monkey up the works too. Alway had trouble getting those games running, Blood Dragon would launch with sound but nothing as soon as the game loaded.

Hey guys,

Been away from forums for a long time, but just wanted to pop in and say hi.

Got into PCVR recently, and omgz, so much fun. Running an Oculus Quest with Virtual Desktop software.  So much fun. 

OK, bye bye for another 13 months or so. love you cag.

What kind audio-card are you running? And how many speakers you got going?
It's the Realtek dogshit or whatever is onboard the Gigabyte Z390 gaming X mobo, but I'm using a HyperX Cloud (that is capable of 7.1) which is set to the default 2 Channel dvd quality. I've tried other usb headsets and speakers, all with the same results in these particular titles.

Yeah, drove me crazy...and to buy a console. Iirc, my issues were usually something to do with the realtek audio driver. I spent more time trying to get games to run on my htpc than playing them.

I think it had to do with the game launcher, the game, and/or the audio driver all being on the same page. I'd start troubleshooting with realtek if you have it. The Ubi launcher seemed to monkey up the works too. Alway had trouble getting those games running, Blood Dragon would launch with sound but nothing as soon as the game loaded.
The Realtek drivers I was able to find and download from their convoluted dog shit website (maximum download speed of 30 KB/sec... on my gig internet) didn't do anything. I found other drivers through Gigabyte linked to my mobo and that exe just gets stuck in an uninstall loop after it asks you to restart the computer.

If this were happening to anyone else but me, I'd find the absurd difficulty hilarious.

Running the Gigabyte Z390 M Motherboard mATX and agree about the Gigabyte drivers sucking hard. One of the latest win10 updates broke the Fan controller software & it took me forever to get everything working again. Just checked my Realtek driver & I'm using the Microsoft sound driver. Works ok. I can try a specific game if you want.

It's the Realtek dogshit or whatever is onboard the Gigabyte Z390 gaming X mobo...
edit: just ran fc3 blood dragon, sound working with the onboard realtek sound.

downloading the other ones you mentioned.

It's the Realtek dogshit or whatever is onboard the Gigabyte Z390 gaming X mobo, but I'm using a HyperX Cloud (that is capable of 7.1) which is set to the default 2 Channel dvd quality. I've tried other usb headsets and speakers, all with the same results in these particular titles.

The Realtek drivers I was able to find and download from their convoluted dog shit website (maximum download speed of 30 KB/sec... on my gig internet) didn't do anything. I found other drivers through Gigabyte linked to my mobo and that exe just gets stuck in an uninstall loop after it asks you to restart the computer.

If this were happening to anyone else but me, I'd find the absurd difficulty hilarious.
I don't know if this is the answer to your audio problem with speakers (never tried speakers on these), but this worked for an older headset of mine.

Is the Hyper X an older headset? Are you speakers say older ones?

I have Realtek on both my W7 desktop and on numerous W10 laptops.

My PX22 Turtle Beach USB-based headphones - which also have a regular audio jack to them too, BTW - they just do not work on my W10 laptops, as is. They work on W7 as is, but not W10 (both systems which use Realtek).

I found out online for the PX22's, after doing lots of Googling and whatnot - that I needed a DAC as a work-around, to get those working on W10.

DAC = Digital-to-Analog Converter.

I use a USB-based Syba DAC myself for my PX22's - https://www.newegg.com/syba-sd-cm-uaud-usb-to-audio/p/N82E16812186035

Bought a few of these from NewEgg when they were $5 before.

You plug in the USB-based DAC into a USB-port. Your connection of the audio jack for your headphones go into the DAC there, so it converts the audio itself. It basically...has its own sound card in there and does the conversion itself, from digital-to-analog.

Not sure if that'll solve your problems entirely - but if you got something like this lingering somewhere around, give it a shot.

There's a difference between carrying bags for hand tools to do manly things and carrying a phablet bag to one of the COVID-friendly Starbucks to write your novel in public, though. If you actually need to carry more than your keys, your wallet, and your knife/sword/defensive weapon of choice, then you're more than justified and shouldn't care what others think. But when viewed as compulsory to fit despite not being necessary, the act of carrying a man-purse comes off as pretentious.

You could also look less pretentious by carrying a backpack instead of a man-purse, but that's also easy to steal. And your choice of backpack could have various consequences: choosing a hiking backpack is fine, but packing it as if you're homeless will get you nasty looks, especially given that some of us PC Master Race neckbeards are even less hygienic than usual during the pandemic; choosing a Hello Kitty, Batman, or Naruto gourd backpack will just result in you getting beaten up and optionally mugged, so my advice there is to open carry a firearm instead of your favorite weeb katana. Non-neckbeard types will want to watch out when wearing a child's backpack as well, since this is most widely-known as the "I'm a drug dealer" look.

And of course, carrying your shit around in a briefcase will probably get you shot. Y'all played GTA V so you know how that goes...
There's also other options like a messenger bag. Or duffle bag. Backpack wise I don't think they'd be easier to steal. Especially if you have heavy stuff in it. Lots of younger people carry those draw string bag backpack like things these days i've noticed.

I think you're on the right track with DirectX. Try this:

https://appsupport.disney.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000760626-How-do-I-test-my-sound-card-and-video-card-for-DirectX-compatibility-

They are all older games so it's possible you might need an older version if direct x to get the sound going it try running them in compatibility mode.

If we're talking about running older DirectX games on W7 and W10 - another thing you could do is install DGVoodoo (or any other DX wrapper for older DirectX games); drop the right files in the game-folder; and then configure DGVoodoo for that.

There's also other options like a messenger bag. Or duffle bag. Backpack wise I don't think they'd be easier to steal. Especially if you have heavy stuff in it. Lots of younger people carry those draw string bag backpack like things these days i've noticed.
Sorry, all I'm reading here is "big purse or big purse or big purse."

And you know what? I'd never actually carry one, but I'm totally jealous of women for being able to get away with carrying a small bag. Like I don't need a lot of stuff, but just occasionally I want to carry more than can fit in my pockets, and my options are carry the item(s) directly, put them in a briefcase or messenger bag large (and heavy) enough not to look like a man purse and get my arm or shoulder tired, or stuff them in a backpack and get my back all sweaty. A crossbody shoulder strap small bag would be so practical, but you can't get away from the purse connection.

Sorry, all I'm reading here is "big purse or big purse or big purse."

And you know what? I'd never actually carry one, but I'm totally jealous of women for being able to get away with carrying a small bag. Like I don't need a lot of stuff, but just occasionally I want to carry more than can fit in my pockets, and my options are carry the item(s) directly, put them in a briefcase or messenger bag large (and heavy) enough not to look like a man purse and get my arm or shoulder tired, or stuff them in a backpack and get my back all sweaty. A crossbody shoulder strap small bag would be so practical, but you can't get away from the purse connection.
Fanny Pack Bro...You're Welcome!

bread's done
Back