Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
Ghostrunner is a visually impressive, fast-paced game that I want to really like. But man I just can not get the hang of the controls. It took 150 deaths or so to get through the second part of the demo and then I said screw it. lol
I played the demo and I agree. Looks great. Plays great. Just not for me. It's like they must stressful parts of Dying Light made into a game.

https://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-ceo-says-rtx-3000-demand-will-outstrip-all-of-our-supply-through-the-end-of-the-year/

Good news guys, don't expect to easily find any of the RTX 3000 cards until at least 2021.
giphy.gif

Good news guys, don't expect to easily find any of the RTX 3000 cards until at least 2021.
My local Craigslist has a handful of offerings of 3080s for $1,500 on average. And... they've all just been sitting there for days. Seen a couple get reposted later on. It's almost as though people don't actually want to buy a $700 card for $1,500

I don't know why they don't mark it up to $900, sell it and enjoy the free two hundred bucks but I guess everyone thinks they're going to get a free 3080 out of it if they sell this one for 2x the price and buy one at retail later. Or maybe someone HAS been selling for $900 but they get snapped up before I notice and only leave the delusional sellers.

EVGA has a new queue system for RTX 3080s.

https://www.pcgamer.com/evga-nvidia-rtx-3080-stock-queue-notification/

EVGA is leading the way with a proper queue system for RTX 3080 stock, and that should mean those of you still desperate for a new graphics card will get one, eventually. It might take some time for stock to filter down the queue—potentially until the end of the year, according to Jen-Hsun—but at least you will know it's going to reach you eventually. Thus saving you the tiresome job of desperately refreshing Newegg every five minutes into the early hours while you're in your PJs.

Here's how it works: You head to the EVGA store, find the product you're after, and hit the notify button. Once this product is in stock, those next in the waiting list will receive a secure email notifying them of availability.

Those users already with 'notify me' emails setup are automatically placed in line, so there's no need to do so again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was mildly surprised that Nvidia (and partners) wasn't doing this from the start.  At least people would feel like something was "happening" rather than F5'ing the site randomly and hoping to magically see a Buy button appear.

So ... Baldur’s Gate 3 ... assuming because it’s Early Access that there isn’t going to be a way to get this cheaper than $60 (cdkeys, Green Man, etc) AND the likelihood of any discount around BF is insanely low too. So that leaves finding discounts on Steam cards, right? I can get $5 off at GS, but would love to bring the price down to -$10 to $15 off.

Well some Early Access games show up elsewhere cheaper (Medieval Dynasty as a random example is about $17 on cdkeys) but Larian said they had no plans for third party sellers or retail for BG3 for the foreseeable future.  So yes, you are stuck with whatever discount you can get on Steam cards.

Time for a small purge.

6BBLR-ZZ487-327DZ Glorkian Warrior
XMLL6-KIE6P-89H3J Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams
408Z7-XRCQR-GYV4N Deadly 30
6WJHB-BPILQ-VMVAT Divekick
0VXMG-DIAD4-D8ANJ Divekick

My local Craigslist has a handful of offerings of 3080s for $1,500 on average. And... they've all just been sitting there for days. Seen a couple get reposted later on. It's almost as though people don't actually want to buy a $700 card for $1,500

I don't know why they don't mark it up to $900, sell it and enjoy the free two hundred bucks but I guess everyone thinks they're going to get a free 3080 out of it if they sell this one for 2x the price and buy one at retail later. Or maybe someone HAS been selling for $900 but they get snapped up before I notice and only leave the delusional sellers.
That and or the over priced listings are there to make their slight under that overpriced listings go faster.

This is fake news. I just finished downloading it. Steam reserved 83 Gb of space but the download was actually 59.
Hmmmm...

If that's the case, then maybe Version 1.0 (which it due out by end of next year, since the game's still not complete right now) could be 150GB or so?

I dunno. [shrug]

Hmmmm...

If that's the case, then maybe Version 1.0 (which it due out by end of next year, since the game's still not complete right now) could be 150GB or so?

I dunno. [shrug]
Sure, that's possible, in which case I may have to free up some space on my HDD. It would actually make sense because we already know that the full campaign is not available at the moment, but 150Gb at "EA launch" isn't accurate.

For what it's worth, the game does feel a lot like one of the latter Divinity games. The turn-based combat feels like a bit of a downgrade from Wasteland 3, but it's a completely different setup. The latter game utilized an Action-Point-based system whereas BGIII uses a fixed-action setup where each PC gets a main action, a bonus action that consists of things like running away, shoving a melee opponent away from you, or hiding, and a movement meter (how far you can go in a given turn depends on a number of factors, including your race--my character can move 9m). Character creation looks like it will be as fun as it was in D:OS II; it will be slightly different (from what I can tell) in that the "pre-rolled" characters from that game will not be restricted by race or class. This bit doesn't seem to be finished yet because you can't select any of these, just a custom "background." I'm not sure that I entirely get the 5e rules because I mostly lost track of the changes somewhere between the second and third edition, when things like weapon, armor, and non-weapon proficiencies were introduced to this system. At launch, some classes like paladins and bards are not available. All racial types are available, and these include all of your bog-standard types like elves, dwarves, humans, and halflings, but also more exotic choices like two types of drow, tieflings, and githyanki (the latter two of which will be familiar to veterans of Planescape: Torment). The game also asks you a sort of odd question at the end of character creation, which may be a way of determining your character's romantic preferences? It asks you "who do you dream about?" and has you select a race, class, and gender combination. The game picks up where the opening cinematic, previously released (where an illithid is going around in its nautiloid ship and inserting mind parasites into unwilling hosts, including the PC, when it is attacked by githyanki riding red dragons), leaves off, with you and a githyanki companion fleeing the damaged nautiloid ship and your illithid captor. It's interesting so far. The game feels like it's very much leading you on a linear path at this juncture, but I'm expecting it will probably open up a bit more a few more hours in.

I've put ~50 hours into Spelunky 2 since last Tuesday. After many ups and countless downs, I feel as though I'm now sufficiently qualified to give my thorough impressions of the game.

Warning: Wall of text

It's really good.

I've put ~50 hours into Spelunky 2 since last Tuesday. After many ups and countless downs, I feel as though I'm now sufficiently qualified to give my thorough impressions of the game.

Warning: Wall of text

It's really good.
Wow, noob much? y u no beat it in 3 minutes?

My buddy was all excited to start playing Baldur's Gate III last night.  "$60 for an unfinished game lol" I said to him.   He then started the game up, texted me back, and said that it was so broken that he couldn't get past the intro cutscene. 

Yeah I don't pay $60 to be a Bethesda beta tester.  Divinity 2 had bugs that made many quests unfinishable and a few that even broke your save file during its first 1-2 years, until the definitive edition came out. 

I would guess  that the budget CPU's/GPU's from AMD and Nvidia (only GPU's for now, with Nvidia) - like what Nvidia does w/ their GPU's - comes out later.

Put all the most expensive stuff out first, hoping people will bite. We know enthusiasts will bite, so those ain't the ones AMD or Nvidia are after. Then later, depending on sales and whatnot - throw the mid-range and budget stuff out later. Especially if pre-builds like say Dell, HP, or whatever ask for lower-range stuff (to appeal to their budget-crowd) - could really force their hand.

I'm guessing this all should help drop the costs of say AMD's 3xxx series here, once the 5xxx's come out. Same goes for NVidia for GPU's - once the 3070's come out, I'd guess the 1660's, 2060's, 2070's, 2080's will all drop in price.

also wat?

Except for the 2600x they have always launched at 250$, the 2600x was the exception at 230. Quit looking at sale prices 2-3 years after launch as a comparison

Remember this is also the 'X' series, which is always going to cost at least 50$ more than non-X. So maybe wait 2-3 years and check the price of the 5600, it will probably be 100-150$ then too

I got my 2600x in Feb/March for $85 at Microcenter. It’s very serviceable, but I wouldn’t hate an upgrade at some point in the not so distant future. Gonna need to find another great deal when it’s time to make it worth it

I got my 2600x in Feb/March for $85 at Microcenter. It’s very serviceable, but I wouldn’t hate an upgrade at some point in the not so distant future. Gonna need to find another great deal when it’s time to make it worth it
Curious: what video card you have going w/ the 2600x?

Radeon 5600XT. lm not very knowledgeable about PC components, but I updated the vbios a few months ago with the manufacturers instructions. I just upgraded to a 1440p monitor and it handles Warzone around 100-120fps on a mix of normal and high settings. I do get a lot of crashes in Warzone though, but I think it’s a buggy mess for a lot of people

I also got the gpu at Best Buy with the 2 year replacement plan, so hopefully it fails right before then.

Radeon 5600XT. I lm not very knowledgeable about PC components, but I updated the vbios a few months ago with the manufacturers instructions. I just upgraded to a 1440p monitor and it handles Warzone around 100-120fps on a mix of normal and high settings.
Sounds good to me.

21gr1.gif

My buddy was all excited to start playing Baldur's Gate III last night. "$60 for an unfinished game lol" I said to him. He then started the game up, texted me back, and said that it was so broken that he couldn't get past the intro cutscene.

Yeah I don't pay $60 to be a Bethesda beta tester. Divinity 2 had bugs that made many quests unfinishable and a few that even broke your save file during its first 1-2 years, until the definitive edition came out.
No bugs for me so far. I only have a few hours under my belt.

I couldn't figure out how to fix my laptop. Pretty sure the motherboard was busted, or the battery died somehow.

The story so far:
I have the Lenovo Legion Y520 15IKBN model with an i7-7700 and 1080ti. It originally came with only 1 8GB DDR4 2333Mhz RAM stick, so I bought another unbuffered RAM, bringing it to 16GB. I could have lots open at once, but I wanted more, so I bought 2x16GB G.Skill Ripjaw 2666Mhz RAM sticks to replace those. The mobo specs page said it could support up to that amount, and I installed them and powered the laptop on without issue. Everything started up and appeared to be faster than before.

But when I took the case apart, I noticed that one of the pieces on the mesh near the fan had broken when I dropped it about a year ago. It was loose and wiggled around. So after I saw that the RAM worked, I flipped it over and took the case apart again. That piece created a high-pitched whirring sound from my fans for whatever reason, which stopped when I pressed on it. So I pulled it out, put a small amount of superglue on it, and glued it back on.

Waited about an hour, then turned on the computer. The screen wouldn't turn on. I connected it via Thunderbolt to my docking station, the monitors wouldn't turn on. I plugged in an HDMI cable from another monitor, and that also didn't turn on. So I tried pressing on it a few times and restarting it a few times, no luck.

I switched out the RAM, trying each of the now 4 cards individually. Neither the 8GB cards nor the 16GB cards worked. Then I tried starting it up without RAM, and that didn't work either.

I left it off for a weekend. Turned it back on on Monday, and it was worse. The keyboard backlight and fans only came on during the BIOS boot, then turned off immediately after. I left it on for 30 minutes and started smelling the CPU, so I turned it off and left it off.

After over a week of leaving it off, it now no longer turns on whatsoever.

In addition to the CPU, GPU and 2x16/32GB RAM, I have a 1TB XPG Gammix SSD in the NVMe slot, and a 2TB FireCuda in for an SSHD. Could be that the new RAM overloaded the draw power, but would it have ever turned on the first time if it did? Have a replacement battery coming in the mail via Amazon to see if that works, but I'm not hopeful.

So I've been computer-less for a while without that. Instead of finding the time to bring it somewhere and get charged only to find that they can't fix it, I decided to build a desktop.

Desktop specs:

What do you guys think? Not sure if I hit any decent sales in preparation for the next gen or not. And I actually do care about your opinions this time, cuz it involves my money.

Want to make an affordable rig that has enough juice for games and application development. Not holding my breath for a 3070 at the end of this month, which is why I canceled the original 2070 Super I bought on Amazon for $550 (which I would've returned for the 3070) and went with a much cheaper 5700XT.

Unless you have a very specific need for 64GB RAM, I'd cut that in half (two 16GB stick for dual channel) and put the other $125 towards basically any other component in your system for better returns.  Or a hundred twenty-five $1 tacos.  32GB will be plenty.

Unless you have a very specific need for 64GB RAM, I'd cut that in half (two 16GB stick for dual channel) and put the other $125 towards basically any other component in your system for better returns. Or a hundred twenty-five $1 tacos. 32GB will be plenty.
lol I didn't even see that. Agreed, unless your application development involves several virtual machines, then it may be justified.

No pro at pc building but some "been there done that" afterthoughts...

My biggest regret when I build my first rig was being to tight on my case and psu budget. Doing it again, splurge on those up front so your "inevitable" future upgrades are directed at cpu and gpu. Probably put some future proofing into the board next.

[snip]

So I've been computer-less for a while without that. Instead of finding the time to bring it somewhere and get charged only to find that they can't fix it, I decided to build a desktop.

Desktop specs:

What do you guys think? Not sure if I hit any decent sales in preparation for the next gen or not. And I actually do care about your opinions this time, cuz it involves my money.

Want to make an affordable rig that has enough juice for games and application development. Not holding my breath for a 3070 at the end of this month, which is why I canceled the original 2070 Super I bought on Amazon for $550 (which I would've returned for the 3070) and went with a much cheaper 5700XT.
Depending on where you're going later for a video card (3070, 3080 or even 3090) - yeah, I'd get more Watts on the PSU.

See this chart on PSU stuff:

dtXifjxt3yZzh2dLJ2Q8Z5-970-80.png

650W will be barely be cutting it with a 3070, if you want to go in that direction later.

I really don't know how you'll go wrong w/ your build - we all know a i7 10700 is a really good Intel CPU for gaming; 32GB of RAM should be glorious (and then some!); RX 5700XT should be really good (you're literally in 2070 Super turf here - that's 1440p60fps+ turf pretty much; and you could probably do some 4K gaming here too on some titles).

Heck, even with a 5700XT 8GB VRAM - I don't know if you really need to enter 3070 turf or anything anytime soon, unless you want to even more so destroy everything framerate-wise (unless you plan to do RTX).

If you don't care about RTX and DLSS - you could probably hold off for a while....unless you really want from Nvidia RTX and DLSS for 4K or something by going 3070 or better. Since 3070 isn't even out yet and you are buying stuff now (since your laptop's dead) and tossing in 5700XT ($400) - might as well get your $ worth out of it now, unless you plan to sell it soon (for a good price) to get a 3070. [shrug]

Plus, there's even been rumors 3070's and 3080's might be coming with 16GB and 20GB respectively later (around December) - https://www.techradar.com/news/nvidia-rtx-3080-and-3070-gpus-could-arrive-with-twice-the-vram-in-december

It's a rumor, so take that for what it's worth, until it's official. But, given the gaps of VRAM counts b/t 3070/3080 (8GB and 10GB respectively) with the 3090 (24GB) - I smell another variant coming for 3070 and 3080. It's just...really a matter of when, it seems and smells like.

You could always wait way later for those...or whatever KO, Ti, Super or whatever improved versions Nvidia puts out of these in the next year(s) or so. [shrug]

No pro at pc building but some "been there done that" afterthoughts...

My biggest regret when I build my first rig was being to tight on my case and psu budget. Doing it again, splurge on those up front so your "inevitable" future upgrades are directed at cpu and gpu. Probably put some future proofing into the board next.
It's funny just how long a case can be in your life this way. My basement centralized backup/nas is in my Antec gaming PC case from 20 years ago. Unfortunately I let every yellowed tan case prior go before they came back into a over on retrobattlestations

The rtx 3080 models with more ram make sense to me but not in a good way --sell those for more and make the "cheaper" $700 model go extinct.

I couldn't figure out how to fix my laptop. Pretty sure the motherboard was busted, or the battery died somehow.

The story so far:
I have the Lenovo Legion Y520 15IKBN model with an i7-7700 and 1080ti. It originally came with only 1 8GB DDR4 2333Mhz RAM stick, so I bought another unbuffered RAM, bringing it to 16GB. I could have lots open at once, but I wanted more, so I bought 2x16GB G.Skill Ripjaw 2666Mhz RAM sticks to replace those. The mobo specs page said it could support up to that amount, and I installed them and powered the laptop on without issue. Everything started up and appeared to be faster than before.

But when I took the case apart, I noticed that one of the pieces on the mesh near the fan had broken when I dropped it about a year ago. It was loose and wiggled around. So after I saw that the RAM worked, I flipped it over and took the case apart again. That piece created a high-pitched whirring sound from my fans for whatever reason, which stopped when I pressed on it. So I pulled it out, put a small amount of superglue on it, and glued it back on.

Waited about an hour, then turned on the computer. The screen wouldn't turn on. I connected it via Thunderbolt to my docking station, the monitors wouldn't turn on. I plugged in an HDMI cable from another monitor, and that also didn't turn on. So I tried pressing on it a few times and restarting it a few times, no luck.

I switched out the RAM, trying each of the now 4 cards individually. Neither the 8GB cards nor the 16GB cards worked. Then I tried starting it up without RAM, and that didn't work either.

I left it off for a weekend. Turned it back on on Monday, and it was worse. The keyboard backlight and fans only came on during the BIOS boot, then turned off immediately after. I left it on for 30 minutes and started smelling the CPU, so I turned it off and left it off.

After over a week of leaving it off, it now no longer turns on whatsoever.

In addition to the CPU, GPU and 2x16/32GB RAM, I have a 1TB XPG Gammix SSD in the NVMe slot, and a 2TB FireCuda in for an SSHD. Could be that the new RAM overloaded the draw power, but would it have ever turned on the first time if it did? Have a replacement battery coming in the mail via Amazon to see if that works, but I'm not hopeful.

Desktop specs:

Looks like a good build, though I would def wait for AMD's next round of video cards if I were you. There is a "Future of Radeon PC Gaming event" on Oct 28; they should be announced then, and available in Nov. That's only a few weeks away. There should be something similar like a 6700 XT with improved performance and much more longevity. Maybe you could buy a cheap used card or rent a loaner somehow? (You could buy a cheap temporary AMD 570/580 for 100 bucks on Ebay or Craigslist.)

Other thoughts:

Check here for the Power supply tier list. It would appear that you picked a 'grade A' one but for the same price you can get this Superflower that has 850W and is also top rated. I'd get that.

The new Lian Li cases seem really good for the money at around $90: Lian Li Lancool II. Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB

Also the NZXT H500's are on clearance from their webstore for $44.99 and those are some of the nicest cases to build in, with a really minimalist outward design aesthetic.

Your first cost cutting corner would be RAM. 16gb is still plenty for gaming so I would go with 16-32gb unless you need 64gb for work or something. (but you're not using a high core + thread count AMD cpu).

bread's done
Back