Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
Sale sucks but I might buy a handful of EA games I enjoy like Dead Space 2 and Titanfall 2 so I can retire Origin for good. Getting that icon off my desktop is worth the price of the games alone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sale sucks but I might buy a handful of EA games I enjoy like Dead Space 2 and Titanfall 2 so I can retire Origin for good. Getting that icon off my desktop is worth the price of the games alone.
You're still going to have to boot-up Origin even if Steam itself forces it, when you buy & use Steam-versions for certain EA games such as Titanfall 2 and Dead Space 3.

At least Dead Space 2: Steam-version don't have Origin with it.

Plus, I'm also waiting for EA to force that crummy new EA Desktop App on everything soon & newer EA games too.

Just a heads up Valheim is on Humble now so it has the Humble Choice discount taking 4 bucks off. Might be worth waiting to see if Humble drops the price during their summer sale and you can get that discount too

You're still going to have to boot-up Origin even if Steam itself forces it, when you buy & use Steam-versions for certain EA games such as Titanfall 2 and Dead Space 3.

Plus, I'm also waiting for EA to force that crummy new EA Desktop App on everything soon & newer EA games too.
Does Mass Effect Legendary version require Origin? I can't remember if I ever had to link my steam account to origin. I think I ended up with Bad Company 1 or 2 on steam and origin seperately.

Does Mass Effect Legendary version require Origin? I can't remember if I ever had to link my steam account to origin. I think I ended up with Bad Company 1 or 2 on steam and origin seperately.
Granted, I don't own it on Steam can't speak on 1st hand experience...

...but ME:LE lists Origin as required on the Steam-page:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1328670/Mass_Effect_Legendary_Edition/

Incorporates 3rd-party DRM: EA on-line activation and Origin client software installation and background use required.
Requires 3rd-Party Account: EA Account
Requires agreement to a 3rd-party EULA
Mass Effect™ Legendary Edition EULA

Yeah, my first thought was that you enabled some obscure grayscale mode by mistake. Are you getting this issue even during the early/middle stages of the Windows installation process, or does it only occur once the installation is finalized? I assume you already tried reinstalling the OS and/or the video card drivers? I'd also try using a different video card, cable, and/or monitor just to further rule out a hardware issue. Other than that, I got nothing.

EDIT: You said you did a fresh install. Did you try an upgrade with W7 already installed? Curious what happens there.
Windows 7 is still installed (it gives me a choice of starting 7 or 10 when it boots), so I will have to remove Windows 7 and start over with Windows 10. Not tonight though. But that might be what the problem is.

I appreciate when you guys provide advice. But I will point out that this is why I was a console man for so many years. Plug in and play.

In that case I'm not buying shit.

For anyone who is interested in the new game Phantom Abyss. One of the top reviews of the game on steam says that if you buy a one month premium membership to Rock, Papers, Shotgun at $7.99 you get the steam key for free, along with other games. The other games are Hard West, Magicka, and one other game I forget. Plus a few DLCs. I did it and canceled it immediately afterwards. 

In that case I'm not buying shit.
You'll have to cherry-pick which games to buy, if you're trying to avoid double-client crap on Steam from EA, Ubi, Rockstar, and now Microsoft (with the XBox PC App).

Dead Space 2 on Steam is a good one, as that version don't require EA Origin. Same goes for say DAO Ultimate. I own those on Steam b/c of those reasons.

Namely, you're best off if you only want to deal Steam for DRM w/ older games that came out before these ones - BF3 (once EA began requiring Origin, from their 1st party crews mainly); AC2 (for Ubi games for UPLAY); Halo: MCC (for Xbox PC App games).

Rockstar is tougher - as they basically back-patched a lot of their games on Steam and added the damn Rockstar Launcher to them.

The thing is: these publishers & dev's are lazy, they ain't going to re-work their game to only use Steam on the Steam-version. Naw, that's more resources and work for the dev's to do - as they'd have to switch from say their own client's Cloud Services, App Services, Achievements, etc...all over to straight-up Steamworks (for that same stuff). I'd rather them straight-up do that - but you know, AAA's will be lazy and be the usual pain-in-the-ass AAA's.

Persona 4 Golden Deluxe $11.99 at newegg. I guess the egg is still okay for something?

Looks like more Legend of Heroes games could be coming...to the Epic Store:
Yeah this is some of the biggest gaming news in years for me personally - been posting about it in the niche thread. These releases are nothing exclusive to epic.. the tepid game store was just unsurprisingly the most unprofessional medium to publicize the info prior to the announcement. Official announcements came from a video live from japan late yesterday / early today. Worth a look / listen if you can ignore the cringey emcee.

I am…
The Gorilla Scientist
As a gorilla of science, you are five hundred pounds of knowledge-pursuing primate fury. Are you going to do experiments with that test tube? Or crush it between your three-inch fangs while ripping someone’s spine out? Who knows. You’re unpredictable, and that’s your greatest strength.

I actually enjoyed reading through these ramblings, I would like it if they did more or more with them. (I actually own a Honda Element, though 2003.) I've always been partial to CYOA type media. The last I read was the small mobile lifeline 'games', wish there were more of them.

Didn't read any of the CYOA things, just randomly chose options until I was done and got a badge (Paranormal Professor).

Now I have ~15 stickers cluttering my inventory, and they apparently can't be removed.

Conclusion: I wasted 3 minutes of my life.

Conclusion: I wasted 3 minutes of my life.
d6U3h9AEu62uAO2HCkZd2BWQWyM=.gif

For anyone who is interested in the new game Phantom Abyss. One of the top reviews of the game on steam says that if you buy a one month premium membership to Rock, Papers, Shotgun at $7.99 you get the steam key for free, along with other games. The other games are Hard West, Magicka, and one other game I forget. Plus a few DLCs. I did it and canceled it immediately afterwards.
Jebaited....it says "no codes available for this game" when you redeem/view the code

How's the music/OST? And is the PDF Digital Art Book worthwhile?
The OST should be available on YouTube if you wanna give it a listen. It’s pretty good, though not a style I’m usually in to. The main artist is Shigeru Soejima, who’s been doing the Persona series since P3. You can find plenty of examples of his work just by searching. I have the physical Japanese artbook (picked it up at a con years ago when I was still going to those), and I liked it. Not sure what the resolution is on the digital version.

Rumor - Windows 11 might require Intel 8000 series & AMD Ryzen 2000's as a minimum:
https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/25/22550376/microsoft-windows-11-tpm-chips-requirement-security

Info:
- W11 supposedly has TPM 2.0 support & requires it.
- This is (supposedly) for security & malware stoppage purposes.
- This might make W11 require 8th-Gen Intel CPU's & AMD Ryzen 2000 CPU's as a bare minimum.

System requirements for W11:

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/TZvMtX-xxpLxbz482q7_67WJkg0=/0x0:1352x689/1120x0/filters:focal(0x0:1352x689):format(webp):no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/22682095/new_old_system_requirements.jpg

Microsoft has been all over the place these last couple days IRT W11 requirements. From TPM 2.0 to TPM 1.2 and now back to TPM 2.0. Also initially said you'd need at least a 1 TB NVME for DirectStorage only to drop the 1 TB minimum later in the day.

And just a heads up that Prodeus came to PC Game Pass the other day and so far after the first two chapters it's fantastic. They really nailed the level design, music and gunplay.

I've been trying to figure out how to enable Secure Boot on my Gigabyte mobo, since it's supposedly required for Win11 or that's what the compatibility app says. It's like a GD rabbit hole, digging through the settings and hoping that I don't fuck something up.

Microsoft has been all over the place these last couple days IRT W11 requirements. From TPM 2.0 to TPM 1.2 and now back to TPM 2.0. Also initially said you'd need at least a 1 TB NVME for DirectStorage only to drop the 1 TB minimum later in the day.

And just a heads up that Prodeus came to PC Game Pass the other day and so far after the first two chapters it's fantastic. They really nailed the level design, music and gunplay.
How complete does it feel? i love old-school shooters but i dont wanna play a game if it ends halfway out of nowhere

How complete does it feel? i love old-school shooters but i dont wanna play a game if it ends halfway out of nowhere
Well I'm two chapters in out of (I believe) 16 so it's too early to say for sure, but it certainly feels like a fun old-school shooter up to this point. Weapons are satisfying, action is intense, very polished. Early game enemies are fairly similar to the ones you find in Doom. There's also a supposedly-robust map editor so people can create custom campaigns if you aren't feeling the standard one. But so far so good.

Rumor - Windows 11 might require Intel 8000 series & AMD Ryzen 2000's as a minimum:
https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/25/22550376/microsoft-windows-11-tpm-chips-requirement-security

Info:
- W11 supposedly has TPM 2.0 support & requires it.
- This is (supposedly) for security & malware stoppage purposes.
- This might make W11 require 8th-Gen Intel CPU's & AMD Ryzen 2000 CPU's as a bare minimum.

System requirements for W11:
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/TZvMtX-xxpLxbz482q7_67WJkg0=/0x0:1352x689/1120x0/filters:focal(0x0:1352x689):format(webp):no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/22682095/new_old_system_requirements.jpg
My PC isn't compatible according to their app, so I guess I'll wait until I'm able to get a new PC. Just hope there won't be compatibility issues with older games.

Decided to wait on a laptop until they start releasing Windows 11 native systems. I know it’s a free upgrade, but hopefully it will be clearer what the interplay with Google apps will be and might push me to make sure the new laptop has a touch screen.

Any discounts for steam cash out there? I know they're rare but I'm not finding anything
There's a code to get $10 off $50 purchases for new Raise customers I think, but that's all I've seen. I used to get great deals on Steam wallet at GameFlip back when you could activate foreign steam wallet codes in any region, but Steam restricted that late 2020 so you can't do that anymore

Far Cry: New Dawn (PC/UPlay).

I recently finally buckled-down & played Far Cry: New Dawn, after having this from winning it in a contest, back not too long after I played Far Cry 5. After 20 hours or so with FC: New Dawn, I can certainly say this: it's more open-world Far Cry & it's pretty good.

Basically, FC: New Dawn is a stand-alone expansion for Far Cry 5. FC: ND is also a follow-up storyline-wise to Far Cry 5, taking place numerous years after the cliffhanger ending of FC5. As good as FC5 was as a game, despite being basically more open-world FC, its ending & conclusion was shocking, but not really satisfying in any way. Meanwhile, I am happy to say in that regard that FC: New Dawn really wraps up some stuff left lingering from FC5 and also New Dawn itself in a very satisfying way & conclusion.

FC: New Dawn doesn't entirely reinvent the wheel here - and also, does it really even need to? You have your two villains, Mickey & Lou - who steal the show in any scene they are in and are not in the game enough to suit me, BTW - causing all kinds of problems, since the crazy events of FC5 and its conclusion, some numerous years ago. Hope Springs has became gone post-apoc' here, so the game-world has been rehashed, remixed, added-on, and whatnot. Basically, you are to take down Mickey & Lou and try to survive out in this crazy world.

Besides your usual assortment of really good main missions; side quests; AI companions to find that can also accompany you on most missions & while out and about in the game-world; a bunch of outposts to conquer; and whatnot - FC: ND has a few new tricks up its sleeve.

You now have a Home Base, which you can keep upgrading, building weapons & equipment, and whatnot. Enemies now have their health-bar exposed to you, which also feels a lot similar to other FPS's mixing ARPG elements, like Borderlands series - but this game doesn't go that far down the ARPG route, thankfully. At its heart and core, it's still mostly an open-world FPS...but with a few lite-ARPG elements.

For Outposts - now you can farm them a few times, with new difficulties & elements (i.e. more alarms, more enemies, harder enemies), after you tackle them once...if you so elect to. Then, enemies will retake the outpost and you can go take it down again for more benefits and whatnot. And you will need to, to grind a bit and to level-up a bit.

Expeditions are very welcome here, as now you can go on these linear missions and maze-like areas - which are not anywhere near Hope Springs, BTW - and find a package; get to an extraction point; defend the point until the helicopter shows up; and get the heck out of Dodge! Just like Outposts here in ND, Expeditions can be farmed a few times with increased difficulty

As you would expect with a open-world Far Cry title - yes, the gunplay's awesome, butter-smooth, plays great, and the game runs well. Vehicles handle well, basically like they always have here. If it ain't broke, why even try to fix it? With the game maxed-out at 1080p with 1.0 Resolution setting ran easily at 80fps to 120fps, no problem on my PC (i7 10700KF; 16 GB RAM; 8gb RTX 3070; W10 x64). At the same settings but cranked-up to 2x resolution, it was running more so in the 60fps to 80fps arena, sometimes even dipping low into the 40fps - but still, it looks really good.

After 20 hours or so with FC: New Dawn, I can say after FC5's cliffhanger ending, New Dawn wraps things up in a much better & satisfying way, having an actual real conclusion to this saga to conclude this saga. Not only that, but the game's more FC5 with some twists & it's quite good. FC5 fans, this one's obvious: New Dawn delivers basically more FC5, but with a better & more satisfying conclusion and ending, also with a few additions to the gameplay & formula...and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that here, since New Dawn's actually pretty good & worth playing.

EA is removing a few old classics from GOG after this weekend. Ultima Underground 1+2, Syndicate Plus, and Syndicate Wars. Removal is suppose to be the 29th.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-06-25-ultima-underworld-1-2-syndicate-plus-and-syndicate-wars-will-be-delisted-from-gog-on-monday
More things to note:

• Syndicate (1993) on Origin is the vanilla version (i.e. No Expansion)...
  • ...Meanwhile Syndicate Plus on GOG has base-game & the expansion (American Revolt).
  • Syndicate Wars isn't even on Origin (EA's own service).
  • Ultima Underworld 1 & 2 are on Origin.

So, if gamers are looking for these and want 'em DRM-FREE style - grab 'em now from GOG, while you can.

I've had these for a while myself. Backlogged and stuff.

Who knows what EA's up to w/ this crap - do they plan to remaster these or remake them? Are they just keeping (some of) these for their own EA Origin service to buy and also for their EA Game Pass-like service (EA Play)? Are they selling the rights off to someone else?

Who knows... I was a bit surprised one of the games wasn't the Syndicate FPS from 2012.
Syndicate (2012 FPS) isn't even on GOG.

I doubt that would be on GOG anyways, unless it was just the SP Campaign - as it's one of those that has some of those Origin proprietary & dependency crap (i.e. Origin for MP; Cloud Saves support; etc etc).

For the MP - that means EA would have to do some work and re-implement MP to work with GOG Galaxy, if they wanted to keep it going; or GOG would have to do it themselves to re-work to work on Galaxy (if EA would be okay with that).

EA's been lazy of late, tossing Origin games onto Steam probably keep their Origin-crap and dependencies over on Steam-version, lazily porting it over to Steam. So has Microsoft, for that matter - as a lot of what they been porting over to Steam lately....still requires that Xbox PC App (i.e. Gears 5, Forza Horizon 4, etc etc).

EDIT:

Just being EA. They couldn't find a developer to close this week, so they decided removing access to games was the next best thing.
Possible.

Or did they have a contract to have it on GOG for X amount of years and it's now up...and just decide not to re-new?

Who the heck knows, it's EA. [shrug]

I choose old DRM free games usually on GOG. I've had those games for years through GOG although haven't really played any, though I owned Syndicate Plus back in the day and played it plenty.

I choose old DRM free games usually on GOG. I've had those games for years through GOG although haven't really played any, though I owned Syndicate Plus back in the day and played it plenty.
I like that I can copy my GOG games to a usb flashdrive and just take it with me to game on any computer without needing to login to a separate online client service. Really handy if I want to get in a quick FTL session on a work computer.

My PC isn't compatible according to their app, so I guess I'll wait until I'm able to get a new PC. Just hope there won't be compatibility issues with older games.
Some people been buying TPM 2.0 add-on modules and sticking them onto their mobo, if supported - and then it says their PC is "okay."

Also, these have been getting scalped already on Ebay and other places, too:

https://www.techpowerup.com/283812/thanks-to-windows-11-scalpers-buy-out-add-on-tpm-2-0-modules

bread's done
Back