Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
I splurged a bit on my B-day, earlier in June, and bought a VR game, but for the Steam Sale, my haul was commensurate to the quality of the sale:

Death Trash (Demo)

Remember in the old days when you could buy a couple magazine and get a floppy/CD with a dozen demos once a month or connect to a BBS or website and download hundreds of demos whenever you want.

Now we have to get demos during seasonal sales.

Shareware, PCGamer, ComputerGamingWorld and MaximumCD kept my young, poor, game craving, dumb-ass afloat for longer than I care to admit. I don't remember where it came from, but I played Half Life:Uplink over and over and over and over, for days worth of hours.

Until like 10 years ago, had you asked me "Did you ever finish Wolfenstein 3d" I would've said yes.  Because I had it in my mind that the shareware version that I played constantly was the full game.

But demo and shareware CDs (similar to pic) and the discount rack at stores kept me going.  It was amazing when a magazine would include the full game.

918Puy9JBlL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Yeah I had about 2-3 shareware CDs. They were awesome and half the fun was figuring how the hell to get things working haha. Some of those games were such low quality, but I had fun with everything from Wheel of Fortune rip offs to Apogee platformers (one of the reasons I loved platformers during the 8 and 16 bit eras). Good times.

What a crock all this has been. Is there a way to get a refund? I was looking forward to playing that! I have no idea what I paid for it. I think I might have paid full price in autistic glee, only for it to gleefully join my caglog.
You can still download/play delisted games. They are just removed from the store and are unavailable for purchase.

Edit: Ah, didn't realize there was an issue with this particular game becoming unplayable (not familiar with the M&M games).

In an updated statement, a Ubisoft spokesperson reiterated that it's working on fixes for Might & Magic X, and explained its decision to remove the game from sale.

"We are constantly assessing what’s needed to deliver the best possible experience for our players. On June 1st, we shut down various services for several legacy games on PC, including for Might & Magic X – Legacy, as they could no longer meet our security standards.

"During that process, we unfortunately encountered an unexpected issue with this title, preventing new and returning players to access the game and its DLCs. We are currently investigating all available options and will keep players informed as we can share more. In the meantime, we made the decision to remove Might & Magic X – Legacy from sale until further notice."

Last edited by a moderator:
What a crock all this has been. Is there a way to get a refund? I was looking forward to playing that! I have no idea what I paid for it. I think I might have paid full price in autistic glee, only for it to gleefully join my caglog.
No clue. Might be worth checking with support with Uplay or Steam on this one, depending on where you have it, if you are looking to refund.

Or...you could hope modders fix it or somehow Ubi actually officially fixes it.

As much as I have nostalgia for the 90s and demo discs, I much prefer the modern conveniences of fast internet and actually having money to buy full games that I will never have time to play.

Does anyone know if the $10 Amazon Prime Day credit needs to all be used in one purchase?

edit: The answer is no, it doesn't all have to be used on one purchase (at least, that's how it's working for me after checking).

The Might and Magic thing reminds me of my ongoing experience with iOS … just over the weekend realized that Monster Hunter Freedom Unite no longer works on the current iOS. At least most PC games have some level of compatibility, but building a game library on mobile is just a joke. I guess I’m the stupid one for continuing to buy mobile games … but damn is it annoying when a good, solid port stops working.

The Might and Magic thing reminds me of my ongoing experience with iOS … just over the weekend realized that Monster Hunter Freedom Unite no longer works on the current iOS. At least most PC games have some level of compatibility, but building a game library on mobile is just a joke. I guess I’m the stupid one for continuing to buy mobile games … but damn is it annoying when a good, solid port stops working.
That’s the danger of any evolving platform, and why it’s often a good idea to keep an earlier version of the platform on hand, at least if you’re into legacy software. Mobile is absolutely the worst place for it, though, which is why I don’t believe in buying anything on mobile for more than five bucks; no matter how good the game, there’s just no telling if you’re going to be able to run it the next time you upgrade your OS or device.

Hauls? Why not.

Birthday gifts:

SNK Heroines Tag Team Frenzy Deluxe Edition

The Tenth Line w/artbook and soundtrack

Tumblestone

Exapunks

$20 Gift Card from an American friend

GOG stuff:

Ultima Underworld 1+2, Dracula Trilogy, Epic Pinball

Nuuvem purchases:

Raiden III

Battle Fantasia

Sundered

Vasara Collection

Syberia 3: An Automaton With A Plan

Another Lost Phone: Laura's Story

Summoner

Xanadu Next

+ A gift for the other fox

-- $195.16 MXN, or about $12 USD after Oxxo fees

Trades:

Beat Hazard 2 (Traded a Darksiders 1+2 key for it)

Steam purchases:

Glass Masquerade 2: Illusions - Temptations Puzzle Pack
Gothic Complete Pack 2011
Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak - Soundtrack
Sunset Overdrive
Sonic Mania - Encore DLC
Team Sonic Racing™
Sonic Forces
Shaq Fu: A Legend Reborn
MX Nitro
Ghostbusters: The Video Game Remastered
Garfield Kart - Furious racing
Glass Masquerade - Heritages Puzzle Pack
UNBEATABLE: DEMO TAPES
SHENZHEN SOLITAIRE
Strange Brigade - Season Pass
Glass Masquerade 2: Illusions - Revelations Puzzle Pack
Glass Masquerade 2: Illusions
Khaaneph Fleet Pack
Soban Fleet Pack
Deserts of Kharak Expedition Guide
Sokobond
Homeworld 2 Remastered Soundtrack
Homeworld 1 Remastered Soundtrack
Tex Murphy Complete Pack
Sam and Max Hit the Road
Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak
The Room
Salt and Sanctuary
Haunt the House: Terrortown - Soundtrack Edition
Sacred Citadel - Jungle Hunt

I basically used this sale to complete a bunch of sets and got some extra cheap stuff in case I'm not capable of getting these prices in the future. The most expensive thing in this lot was Team Sonic Racing, because who knows if that'll ever be put on sale again.

You can still download/play delisted games. They are just removed from the store and are unavailable for purchase.

Edit: Ah, didn't realize there was an issue with this particular game becoming unplayable (not familiar with the M&M games).

Yeah, it was a goofy setup to begin with, which is why a lot of people really rail against that type of DRM. I'm no fan, but it's usually okay. In this case, it was not okay, but it sounds more like a security vulnerability. They probably won't make this mistake again... I'd like to say...

No clue. Might be worth checking with support with Uplay or Steam on this one, depending on where you have it, if you are looking to refund.

Or...you could hope modders fix it or somehow Ubi actually officially fixes it.
No dice on the refund. They might actually fix it, though, or someone might! Pretty sad. M&M deserves better. It was once a great franchise, and they seemed semi-serious about rebooting it with M&M X, and now it's practically abandonware. Poo on Steam but also can't really blame Steam...

Yeah, it was a goofy setup to begin with, which is why a lot of people really rail against that type of DRM. I'm no fan, but it's usually okay. In this case, it was not okay, but it sounds more like a security vulnerability. They probably won't make this mistake again... I'd like to say...

No dice on the refund. They might actually fix it, though, or someone might! Pretty sad. M&M deserves better. It was once a great franchise, and they seemed semi-serious about rebooting it with M&M X, and now it's practically abandonware. Poo on Steam but also can't really blame Steam...
The problem w/ games leaning into proprietary platforms like Uplay, Steam, Origin - yeah, is just that. Who knows on some games, what the back-end requires, even if it's a Single Player game.

I also suspect this is why we see Xbox for PC Games on Steam also requiring Xbox PC app; Origin games (since BF3) finally coming to Steam and also still requiring Origin; UPlay games on Steam requiring UPlay; etc etc.

All these games, they just get built from the ground-up w/ Proprietary stuff (Client's Cloud Saves; client-DRM built-in & phone home check; Client's Multiplayer suite; Client's Achievements suite; etc etc) & they just slapped together w/ all that junk & port it over to Steam lazily b/c there's probably more going on behind the scenes that we don't know about - like with what M&MX is doing probably w/ its UPlay client-app crap of suite features.

All these games w/ single-player content - especially once they get old - yeah, they should be able to work offline; work without any client-app; and be able to save my game locally to the hard-drive.

Yeah, would be nice if my single-player Shenmue 3 copy worked in an offline mode on Steam or Epic - but nope, it doesn't.

But, they probably won't do that and re-work or fix games to work properly offline b/c they probably plan to Remaster the game and re-sell it to me again, a few years down the road. [shrug]

{sarcasm} Can't until required game-streaming becomes our dystopian gaming future. {/sarcasm}

The problem w/ games leaning into proprietary platforms like Uplay, Steam, Origin - yeah, is just that. Who knows on some games, what the back-end requires, even if it's a Single Player game.

I also suspect this is why we see Xbox for PC Games on Steam also requiring Xbox PC app; Origin games (since BF3) finally coming to Steam and also still requiring Origin; UPlay games on Steam requiring UPlay; etc etc.

All these games, they just get built from the ground-up w/ Proprietary stuff (Client's Cloud Saves; client-DRM built-in & phone home check; Client's Multiplayer suite; Client's Achievements suite; etc etc) & they just slapped together w/ all that junk & port it over to Steam lazily b/c there's probably more going on behind the scenes that we don't know about - like with what M&MX is doing probably w/ its UPlay client-app crap of suite features.

All these games w/ single-player content - especially once they get old - yeah, they should be able to work offline; work without any client-app; and be able to save my game locally to the hard-drive.

Yeah, would be nice if my single-player Shenmue 3 copy worked in an offline mode on Steam or Epic - but nope, it doesn't.

But, they probably won't do that and re-work or fix games to work properly offline b/c they probably plan to Remaster the game and re-sell it to me again, a few years down the road. [shrug]

{sarcasm} Can't until required game-streaming becomes our dystopian gaming future. {/sarcasm}
I had never considered this in the depth you've presented here. At this point, I can see no alternatives. You're probably right. Eventually we're just going to be streaming literally everything. It might be considered "retro" to run anything locally at all. We'll just fiddle around on terminals all day every day and do everything on them. They might not even be desktop things. Maybe we'll just have shit wired into our brains and get our reality streamed to us.

Okay I am taking this a little far and getting freaked out. But I still think you're right about the platforms, DRM, the issues that necessarily causes, and the fact that there is simply no impetus for them to care since, as you said, they can happily just remaster everything and sell it over and over.

Cyberpunk 2077 (GOG Version).

So, I'm some 10 hours in or so. Some thoughts incoming, so far and all.

It's pretty good overall so far.

Combat with the actual gunplay & feeling of it is actually better than I expected, even though the AI doesn't seem spectacular and all. The thing with the combat is: enemies often feel a bit bullet-spongy and it feels like its tactics ain't always the most interesting. Often feels like they just bum-rush you or are just straight-up shooting at you. This kind of reminds me a bit of RPG/FPS hybrids & mixes from before Mass Effect 2 (ME2 streamlined so much for shooter/RPG hybrids), but CP 2077's combat feels more visceral and much better than games like say Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines (i.e. my favorite game of all time, for a million other reasons).

Though, its story is disappointing me; and I'm not really sure if there's that much choice here in its main & side missions, when compared to their previous games. The story just doesn't have say the amount of detail to the story, plot, characters that I'd expect from this company that made Witcher 1, 2, and 3. Though, there's tons of Lore everywhere - so read that stuff and you'll get immersed even more so into this game & its actual game-world.

Questing is...not as interesting as expected, given CDPR's past games (i.e. Witcher series). The main missions and stuff is good & often feels unique with its missions & heist-like stuff compared to what I've seen so far in the rest of the game, even if there probably ain't tons of choice here - but I still ain't had that many Witcher-style moral choice type of stuff, which is what I'd normally expect from CDPR. A lot of it seems to be "Go after this person", "find this person", "stop this group in this area", "get this (or these) item(s)" and other MMO-like or ARPG type of missions, in the side stuff. I'm going to keep looking around and digging for quests, hoping there's some with choice and/or some of this stuff might matter in some way and funnel itself into the main story & questline. I'll have to wait and see.

If anything - this game's drop-dead freakin' gorgeous. One of the better looking titles out there - along with Shadow of the Tomb Raider (that's good, but not as good as Rise of the TR) and say Control: Ultimate (play that game ASAP; it's awesome & also drop-dead gorgeous with RTX On).

On my desktop RTX 3070 at 1080p, all maxed-out, I can get it at 50fps and up, depending on if I'm indoors or outdoors; and where I'm at (some areas can be demanding). Cyberpunk 2077 is truly something to behold, especially if you turn on RTX and DLSS. And trust me, you'll need DLSS on to get more performance out of it. It certainly does look great though, to say the very least, IMHO. Love the look of this cyberpunk and sci-fi world and its character, loaded with lots of graphical details everywhere.

There's a ton of loot to pick-up in the game-world & from enemies, so do expect to be selling lots of equipment, breaking it down for parts, breaking loot down to keep your weight down so you can actually still move around, and any of your typical ARPG loot-crazy type of stuff that you'd see in games like Diablo games, Sacred games (not Sacred 3 though), Titan Quest, HG: London, and games of that sort. You can also craft loot, but...I haven't really tried or focused on that. I was surprised at how much loot and what you can do w/ it here.

Also, this game literally has an UbiSoft-like map with tons of icons for missions, side jobs, things to find, and things to do. It literally feels like this game is a cross b/t a GTA game (open-world action game with vehicles that you can drive to get yourself places around the game world); a Deus Ex game (immersive-sim style game with Lore & world-building stuff everywhere and also you can go into areas and missions with a guns-blazing approach, stealth approach, hacking approach, and/or mix those however you want); and an UbiSoft game (like games from these franchises: Watch Dogs & Far Cry).

I'm liking this quite a bit so far and do need to get back to this game.

So, there you go; there's my thoughts so far on Cyberpunk 2077.

Summer haul

Steam:

Hunter Call of the Wild $12,  a 65GB download to shoot ducks.

Devour, a closet scare co-op horror game totally worth no more than the $5 I paid but really worth about $ .99 for when you're drunk and bored. Phasmophobia it ain't.

Xbone: PGA Golf 2019 for $5.65 from Amazon.

Oh, and X4 collectors edition via Humble because the unfinished Elite Dangerous expansion needed a space friend to hang out in the backlog with.

I wish Cyberpunk would regain some of its cut content … bought it day one for Xbox, still haven’t opened it bc of the next gen version. But I just know it will be disappointing to me given what it could have been. I was really hoping for something that would rival the original Deus Ex … and honestly, I still don’t think we’ve gotten anything as innovative as that was for its time.

I'm cautiously optimistic as I'm a fan of Arkane. There's a definite Dishonored feel...level design, animations, abilities...almost too many similarities, but I do love Dishonored.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPLKfaQww5A

I'm all for a more shooty and less stabby Dishonored type of game here with Deathloop, if it's gonna sell some real amounts of copies.

Arkane's so underrated, it ain't even funny - Dark Messiah, Arx Fatalis, Prey 2017, and Dishonored games.

I'm all for a more shooty and less stabby Dishonored type of game here with Deathloop, if it's gonna sell some real amounts of copies.

Arkane's so underrated, it ain't even funny - Dark Messiah, Arx Fatalis, Prey 2017, and Dishonored games.
I have to admit, I haven't had more fun kicking people to death than in Dork Messyiah

PSAbsuO.gif

Summer haul

Steam:

Hunter Call of the Wild $12, a 65GB download to shoot ducks.
Ducks are pretty fun but the goose hunting is bit more fun in my opinion. (but I've also spent a minimal amount of time duck hunting.)

The new map came out during the steam sale and it was on sale... So it ended up being my big steam purchase (though not my most expensive) and theHunter: COTW continues to be my go too for time waster. Its a great map with lots of small game (turkeys, pheasants, rabbits) and I've found those species much easier to hunt than on the other maps that have them. It really is a good starter map but I feel that the Bloodhound (Separate DLC) .22 (Weapon Pack 1 DLC) is pretty much required.

Edit: Anyhow, most if not all of the DLC is on sale at humble this week...

Resident Evil: Village - PC version.

Denuvo DRM & Capcom's own DRM could be causing the performance issues & stutters w/ RE: Village PC's performance:

Sources:
Eurogamer - https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-07-11-capcoms-anti-tamper-measures-might-be-causing-resident-evil-villages-poor-pc-performance
Kotaku - https://kotaku.com/resident-evil-village-pirate-says-cracked-release-fixes-1847266974

Info:
- Denuvo-laced Steam-version of RE: Village on PC has some performance issues, in certain spots.
- The Catacombs in Lady D's Castle is one of the most notorious places for performance issues, especially with stutters.
- Well, the pirated-version is without any performance issues, in some spots; even in Catacombs in Lady D's Castle.
- DSO Gaming has tested this themselves; and others online are mentioning these findings.
- On Kotaku, it also mentions that there is also Capcom's own DRM at work here, which could also be causing problems too.

Am I being too much of a snob to pass on this deal since it's tied to UPlay instead of Steam?
I wouldn't be at all surprised if this gets given away on Uplay sooner or later. And hence, I don't see any sense buying it. It's not like I'm ever going to actually play it or anything. Also, I thought it was called Ubisoft Connect now.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if this gets given away on Uplay sooner or later. And hence, I don't see any sense buying it. It's not like I'm ever going to actually play it or anything. Also, I thought it was called Ubisoft Connect now.
That was my thought. I know it's only $1.... but if I'm not going to play it any time soon (and I think I still have my PS3 copy as well) then I might as well wait a bit longer.

It wasn't a bad game, but just be aware if you get the PC version of Prince of Persia 2008 that Ubisoft never released any of the console DLC on PC (including the epilogue DLC).

Anyone looking for a budget mechanical keyboard, the s00per d000per RGB one from Red Dragon I use is on sale again for $44: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NAI2TXC/

Really sturdy keyboard with a hefty aluminum base.  Some reviews complain it breaks within a couple of months but I've had mine since last October and no issues.

Am I being too much of a snob to pass on this deal since it's tied to UPlay instead of Steam?
Heck, I own this from retail disc from Ubi back when it 1st came out and all...and yet, I still dropped the $1 on Fanatical just to own this on Uplay / UbiSoft Connect / whatever they wanna call their client.

Convenience to have digitally and whatnot. [shrug]

EDIT:

It wasn't a bad game, but just be aware if you get the PC version of Prince of Persia 2008 that Ubisoft never released any of the console DLC on PC (including the epilogue DLC).
I loved PoP 2008. Anyways, until we get a Remaster w/ the DLC, can't we just go Mooby-style & watch the short 2 hour Epilogue DLC on Youtube anyways? ;)

NieR: Automata - Steam-version.

PC patch for this coming July 15th:

https://www.ign.com/articles/nier-automata-pc-steam-version-patch-fixes-release-date

Patch notes:

Nier: Automata Steam Version

Patch Notes

Changes Made

• Borderless Video Settings
    Borderless video settings have been implemented.

[*]Fidelity FX
  • A Fidelity FX CAS feature has been added.

[*]HDR
  • The system will now detect whether HDR has been activated in the Windows display settings, and automatically boot the game in HDR mode if it has.

[*]Anti-aliasing
  • Adjustments to the anti-aliasing functionality

[*]UI textures (4K)
  • Approximately 270 UI textures for icons, backdrops and UI elements etc. now support 4K resolutions.

[*]Cut scenes
  • The bit rate has been improved and all pre-rendered cut scenes adjusted, so they will now play in 60FPS and display in the correct aspect ratio without stretching the picture.

[*]Global illumination
  • A new “Global illumination” feature has been implemented. This can be set to three different levels; High, Medium or Low.

[*]Ambient occlusion/ bloom
  • The rendering targets for ambient occlusion and bloom effects have been changed to dynamic resolution based on the game’s resolution.

Bug Fixes

• It is now possible to switch between recently selected display modes for screenshots, such as between full screen and windowed mode or between borderless and windowed mode, by pushing the Alt + Enter keys together.
  • The mouse cursor is no longer displayed when using a game pad controller.
  • The frame rate has been stabilized at 60FPS under default settings.
  • Other stability related fixes have also been implemented.

Just thought I'd share that I moved into a new house last weekend and one thing I discovered is that the crazy person who lived here before me had Cat8 ethernet wired to every room in the house. I don't know why anyone would ever do that, but the good news is it will only take 5 seconds to reinstall Civ6 after I uninstall it in disgust, which happens on a weekly basis. 

You need to invest in serious switching architecture for that in a home network. I have used 10 Gig Ethernet at work, but it's far from cheap. Cat8 in a home is absolutely baffling.
I'm not into streaming and I just use wi-fi to download games and web browse, so I don't know much about this stuff. When the CenturyLink guy came to activate our internet he pretty much shit his pants and said he'd never seen anything like it. There's a panel in the laundry room with the switch and they wired a Cat8 port into every damn room (one room has two). I think there are 8 total.

LsOGJuI.jpeg

These people must have really liked porn.

I'm officially done with Chrono Ark likely the hardest deck building rogue-like I've played after about 27 hours. This is so hard. The enemies don't show their attacks so you just have to play more and more to figure out things. The thing that kills it really is the mass difficulty of bosses. I have lost hard to the one boss I believe before the final boss and haven't gotten super close other than about 50% health done before getting smacked around. In the game there are characters representing 3 classes (healers, attackers, defense) and all play relatively differently. I like how each character has very specific cards. They have specialties unique even in their class and most have class passive or active abilities that change how the characters work. The combinations are neat. The main issue is although you level up and gain a bit of card draw, abilities of characters, and they get stat bonuses, the characters always feel a bit weak HP wise. The bosses I've mentioned can do 1 hit take you to dieing and the one I mentioned if it attacks someone with a curse everyone takes around 25 life, which is good enough to bring to death most attacks/healers. Also poison like curses are extremely common in their decks. The way curses move around in the deck is really random and depends on who is playing cards. I also hate you don't know who will get smacked by normal skills although one character predicts who enemies will attack with a debuff. Also damage and healing work similar to fighting games with blocking, where you lose life and it becomes green life, and if you get hit again you lose up to this green life. It's interesting and even without life at death's door, it's hard to stay alive in tough fights. Overall I like the graphics, the sound and music are OK, the gameplay is clean although feels a bit amateurish at times, all the characters are pretty unique, but the tough as nails bosses with unfair attacks ruin most runs. It's unfair and has unpredictable difficulty which makes me give it a 6/10, where without the bad bosses It would be a 7/10 or better. In EA right now, but would only get bundled.

I'm not into streaming and I just use wi-fi to download games and web browse, so I don't know much about this stuff. When the CenturyLink guy came to activate our internet he pretty much shit his pants and said he'd never seen anything like it. There's a panel in the laundry room with the switch and they wired a Cat8 port into every damn room (one room has two). I think there are 8 total.

LsOGJuI.jpeg

These people must have really liked porn.
I hope there is one in the bathroom for you...

bread's done
Back