Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
Just a decent mech without the 10 key
I probably should have been more clear. What are you using it for, and what do you want out of it?

If it's just the cheapest servicable TKL, you probably won't get better than that keyboard at the $20 sale price.

But yes, it is a clone of Blue, and is loud and clicky, and not generally the switch people use for gaming, especially not FPS.

Although I don't know if it's going to be much better than your Dierya, which is why I was asking. And that seems to be a 60%, so the Reddragon will also be wider.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw that IGN was doing a month long bracket for the best games of all time and thought that the initial 64 choices were pretty bad. It inspired me to make my own all time favorite list on a site that a couple co-workers had used: https://www.listchallenges.com/brians-top-30-games-of-all-time

I already want to change the order some, but it looks like once you publish it you can't change the list.
I haven't followed the IGN tournament but I heard HL2 lost to Rise of The Tomb Raider in the first round and just let out the most melancholic sigh.

If I had to put together a personal Top 25 purely off the top of my head:

In no particular order:

Dark Souls

Hollow Knight

Super Mario Bros 3

Skies of Arcadia

Madden 93

NBA Jam Tournament Edition

Binding of Isaac: Rebirth

Spelunky

Super Mega Baseball 3

UN Squadron

Streets of Rage 2

TMNT: The Arcade Game

Link to the Past

Earthbound

Soul Calibur

Half-Life 2

Left 4 Dead 2

Unreal Tournament

Ring Fit Adventure

Tetris 99

The Sims 2

Portal 2

NFL Blitz

To The Moon

Danganronpa 1

EDIT: And I just realized I omitted WCW/NWO Revenge so said list is immediately obsolete. Would probably drop Soul Calibur to make room.

Deltarune Chapters 1 & 2 available on Steam and itch.io. Links to both at Deltarune.com.
Looks like 3-5 will be when Toby starts charging according to the Steam page.

So what's the catch with the free Steam games? Why do some companies give their games away for free, especially since some of them are actual good games that are worth buying? Promotion for new games by the company?

So what's the catch with the free Steam games? Why do some companies give their games away for free, especially since some of them are actual good games that are worth buying? Promotion for new games by the company?
Could be to promote a large publisher sale, could be to promote a sequel, could be to get people hooked so they buy lots and lots of DLC. Often times the freebie in question has already made the bulk of whatever sales it's going to make so there isn't much money being lost out on.

I go with Redragon. They're a solid semi-budget brand. The main one I use now is Brown switch but I have a 10 keyless red switch one for use with a work laptop. I much prefer Brown, red is too 'light.' Blue would probably be too much force for my tastes.

I probably should have been more clear. What are you using it for, and what do you want out of it?

If it's just the cheapest servicable TKL, you probably won't get better than that keyboard at the $20 sale price.

But yes, it is a clone of Blue, and is loud and clicky, and not generally the switch people use for gaming, especially not FPS.

Although I don't know if it's going to be much better than your Dierya, which is why I was asking. And that seems to be a 60%, so the Reddragon will also be wider.
I will be playing some FPS games but no multiplayer, mostly older FPS's as well. So what do people mainly use this switch for? I already ordered it but if I despise it I'll just take it back to Best Buy. I guess it's main selling point to me is the size, I'm always bumping my current keyboard with my mouse. The current keyboard I have claims to be brown switches but it doesn't seem to be very clicky at all.

I will be playing some FPS games but no multiplayer, mostly older FPS's as well. So what do people mainly use this switch for? I already ordered it but if I despise it I'll just take it back to Best Buy. I guess it's main selling point to me is the size, I'm always bumping my current keyboard with my mouse.
It's probably fine for your needs. Blue usually have the longest actuation distance, meaning you have to press it pretty far before it registers. Whereas red keys have the least, and is almost like a fight stick button, where resting your finger on a key could cause it to press the key.

Blue is usually for typing, and red is usually for gaming. They're all usable for non-competitive play. The force to actuate isn't directly tied to the color specifically, but longer distance + tactile does mean more force in general when all other things are equal.

The good news is, that board is hot-swappable with that family of switches. So you could, say, replace just the arrow keys with Reds. All you would need to do is buy like 4 Red switches in that case (though they're usually sold in 10s). No soldering required.

The good news is, that board is hot-swappable with that family of switches. So you could, say, replace just the arrow keys with Reds. All you would need to do is buy like 4 Red switches in that case (though they're usually sold in 10s). No soldering required.
This is awesome, thank you very much for sharing some detailed knowledge.

I go with Redragon. They're a solid semi-budget brand. The main one I use now is Brown switch but I have a 10 keyless red switch one for use with a work laptop. I much prefer Brown, red is too 'light.' Blue would probably be too much force for my tastes.

You could also find one of the other brands out there, of which there are plenty, they all use the same switches for the most part, and get one with browns, which are my preferred switches. They are tactile but not loud, I had previously been using an older logi g810 and the browns are pretty close to the old logi tactiles. Theres not much of a click, just more of a sound, but you do still have to press it and have a bit of feedback to the press, so its a good all around switch for gaming and typing

But redragons are just fine, and tecware, and keychron, they are all basically the same thing with similar quality and what not within a similar price range, all using outemu switches. So really can just google around for outemu switches and see recommendations and what not

Elder Scrolls Online and also NVIDIA DLAA technique.

Announcement of new NVidia tech DLAA will be coming to ESO:

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/81696/nvidia-dlaa-yes-not-dlss-will-debut-in-elder-scrolls-online/index.html

Info:

- DLAA (Deep-Learning Anti-Aliasing) is going to be a high-end & supposedly "incredible" new Anti-Aliasing technique coming from NVIDIA.

- This will be able to be used by NVIDIA RTX-based cards.

- Since this has "Deep Learning" in here, I assume it'll be AI-based rendering technique (like DLSS).

- Unlike DLSS, this is not a performance boosting technique.

- ESO can already get really high framerates on RTX-based card & this is an older game (around 7 years now)...

- ...So this is going to be for those who want really high-quality AA technique in their game.

- This feature should be available soon on the ESO Public Test Server.

Doom: Eternal stuff.

Latest Doom: Eternal patch brings back Mick Gordon's Main Menu Theme:

https://www.pcgamer.com/doom-eternals-latest-patch-brings-back-the-original-main-menu-music-for-some-reason/

Info:

- Latest Doom: Eternal patch brought back Mick Gordon's Main Menu Theme from the original release of Doom: Eternal.

- Mick Gordon and Bethesda had a bunch of disagreements over the editing & direction taken w/ Mick Gordon's music.

- They, more or less, had a big falling out over this stuff.

- Andrew Hulshult and David Levy were contracted to do music for Doom: Eternal, after the stuff with Mick Gordon went down.

- When The Ancient Gods: Part 2 (TAGP2) launched, Gordon's theme was no longer the Main Menu Theme.

- Andrew Hulshult & David Levy's new theme became the Main Menu Theme for Doom: Eternal, once TAGP2 launched.

- A recent patch was released, putting back Mick Gordon's original Main Menu Theme as the theme for this game.

- Fans seem to be happy the old theme's back, but many like the new one.

- Some players are asking for players to have an option to switch b/t the two themes.

Still an absolute travesty that the game doesn't have a decent sounding official soundtrack release. This is the darkest timeline.
Me trying to find the timeline where your post isn't the nerdiest nerd gripe in the last 100 pages of this thread

Dr-Strange-alternate-futures-time-stone.gif

Little bit of TIL Fallout lore … actor Tony Shaloub (of Monk, MIB, Wings, etc) voiced Aradesh (Tandi’s father) in Fallout 1. The character is subsequently referenced in Fallout 2 and New Vegas. This is the only video game voice acting Shaloub has done, outside of providing the voice of Luigi in Disney’s Cars video games. The more you know …

To piggyback off that, I recently learned Megatron and Curious George have the same legendary voice actor. 

Whodathunk

To piggyback off that, I recently learned Megatron and Curious George have the same legendary voice actor.

Whodathunk
Well, I think the 80s was like that, considering that Peter Cullen did the voices for Optimus Prime, Eeyore, KARR from Knight Rider and the Predator (from the movie of the same name.)

Well, I think the 80s was like that, considering that Peter Cullen did the voices for Optimus Prime, Eeyore, KARR from Knight Rider and the Predator (from the movie of the same name.)
That’s really just any good voice actor in general from any age. Consider Mel Blanc, or for a more recent example, Mark Hamill. Even Steve Blum can alter his voice significantly when he chooses to, though this seems to be rare.

That’s really just any good voice actor in general from any age. Consider Mel Blanc, or for a more recent example, Mark Hamill. Even Steve Blum can alter his voice significantly when he chooses to, though this seems to be rare.
Frank Welker is the true master of this... In fact it crazy the number of times he's just doing animals.

Not many codes left, about 130, but 5000 Microsoft Rewards points giveaway at AlienwareArena.

https://na.alienwarearena.com/ucf/show/2156947/boards/contest-and-giveaways-global/Giveaway/microsoft-rewards-points-exclusive-giveaway

EDIT:

Level 15+
I’m curious about other people’s opinion of this website. I feel like the webpage design is a complete mess. When I go to the site it feels like only parts of the webpage loads and the parts that do show didn’t load correctly.

I’m curious about other people’s opinion of this website. I feel like the webpage design is a complete mess. When I go to the site it feels like only parts of the webpage loads and the parts that do show didn’t load correctly.
This site was borked earlier, but is mostly back to normal. The MS points giveaway image is still loading in weird though.

Humankind review: 

tldr: I dont foresee ever playing Civilization again. 

Finally a Civ killer hits the market. Amplitude has been refining their 4x games since 2012, grabbing things from others in the genre as well as trying new things to shake up the boring or too RNG focused aspects of these games. 

Let's start with the biggest gripe that complete and utter morons have about this game: changing cultures. If you want to play the Americans from the Bronze Age through the Space Age, well just fuck off back Civ and stop reading. This is the big differentiator between Humankind and Civ. The cultures available are based on when they existed in history, and as you move through the game you'll change cultures. You're not stuck with future cultures based on your starting culture, so say if you pick a culture that originated in ancient China, you don't have to pick regional cultures as you advance. Pick whatever the fuck you want, Anicent Babylon to Aztecs to the Soviet Union? Go for it. Oh, and instead of having 1 boring ass unit and 1 boring ass building per civ like in Civilization, in HK each culture has its own building and its own unit, plus it has an overarching mechanic tied to science, industry, culture, etc.This allows you to tailor your empire to changing needs, or be ultra focused on one aspect if you want.

The next big change is how war works. You know how in Civ if you were the first to certain key techs like Axemen, Cavalry or Tanks that it was an automatic win? You could just pay to upgrade your whole army, bum rush a neighbor and double the size of your empire. HK now has war support, which has fuckall to do with how big your army is, and everything to do with how eager your population is for war. The more effective your army combined with war support back homes means wars last longer and you get to keep more territory. Take a lot of territory, but have zero war support? Your people wont want you expanding the empire endlessly. Its a method of keeping warmongering from being the most effective way to win, while still allowing you win via war over time.

Another big change is the early game. In Civ you basically regenerate your map til you get a decent starting location cause if you dont plop down your first city on Turn 1 you're fucked. HK tosses that nonsense out and gives you a scout and lets you loose. Hunt animals, discover landmarks and food sources. The early game is about exploring the region to find that ideal starting point for the initial culture you pick. And its a bit of a gamble, do you stay in this exploratory phase a little extra to gather more, risking that another player picks your preferred culture? There is still an RNG aspect, but its greatly blunted compared to Civ.

Stacks of doom from Civ4 died with Civ 5/6 to be replaced with the fucking horrible One Unit Per Tile. That idiocy gets tossed aside in HK. Instead you have armies similar to what Age of Wonders and Endless Legend utilized. Army size is limited by tech, and combat can be automated or you can fight it out in a tactical battle that takes place on the world map. No more playing the One Unit Per Tile shuffle and trying to get units to the right spot, the tactical combat is a happy medium away from the stacks of doom. Oh, and the unique units, aren't just vanilla unit +1 str and other nonsense from Civ. The special units in HK generally have unique combat mechanics, making them situationally more powerful and requiring additional consideration in tactical combat.

Graphics have great attention to detail, for example a unique building that has trees around it, will have terrain appropriate trees depending on where it is placed. Evergreens in the tundra, palms in the desert. Zooming in and exploring the map as you move through the ages provides a real treat. The music is top notch and themed both on the era and your culture. Starting a new game provides tons of gameplay and map creation options with devs stating even more in development. Modding tools have already been released to the community, and more powerful modding tools forthcoming. The devs have been quick to patch the game since release and refine the balance of the cultures and game mechanics. And given how long Endless Legend has been supported and how much as been added since release, I feel that trend will continue with Humankind. The in-game encyclopedia and tutorial system help a ton in learning the new mechanics, and since its tied into the game, no need to alt-tab out.

Humankind is up on Gamepass and worth a play even for the casual Civ fan just to see what creativity other studios bring to the genre.If you're a big Civ fan and looking for something that really shakes things up, Humankind is a strong buy recommendation from me.

Humankind review:

tldr: I dont foresee ever playing Civilization again.

Finally a Civ killer hits the market. Amplitude has been refining their 4x games since 2012, grabbing things from others in the genre as well as trying new things to shake up the boring or too RNG focused aspects of these games.

Let's start with the biggest gripe that complete and utter morons have about this game: changing cultures. If you want to play the Americans from the Bronze Age through the Space Age, well just fuck off back Civ and stop reading. This is the big differentiator between Humankind and Civ. The cultures available are based on when they existed in history, and as you move through the game you'll change cultures. You're not stuck with future cultures based on your starting culture, so say if you pick a culture that originated in ancient China, you don't have to pick regional cultures as you advance. Pick whatever the fuck you want, Anicent Babylon to Aztecs to the Soviet Union? Go for it. Oh, and instead of having 1 boring ass unit and 1 boring ass building per civ like in Civilization, in HK each culture has its own building and its own unit, plus it has an overarching mechanic tied to science, industry, culture, etc.This allows you to tailor your empire to changing needs, or be ultra focused on one aspect if you want.

The next big change is how war works. You know how in Civ if you were the first to certain key techs like Axemen, Cavalry or Tanks that it was an automatic win? You could just pay to upgrade your whole army, bum rush a neighbor and double the size of your empire. HK now has war support, which has fuckall to do with how big your army is, and everything to do with how eager your population is for war. The more effective your army combined with war support back homes means wars last longer and you get to keep more territory. Take a lot of territory, but have zero war support? Your people wont want you expanding the empire endlessly. Its a method of keeping warmongering from being the most effective way to win, while still allowing you win via war over time.

Another big change is the early game. In Civ you basically regenerate your map til you get a decent starting location cause if you dont plop down your first city on Turn 1 you're fucked. HK tosses that nonsense out and gives you a scout and lets you loose. Hunt animals, discover landmarks and food sources. The early game is about exploring the region to find that ideal starting point for the initial culture you pick. And its a bit of a gamble, do you stay in this exploratory phase a little extra to gather more, risking that another player picks your preferred culture? There is still an RNG aspect, but its greatly blunted compared to Civ.

Stacks of doom from Civ4 died with Civ 5/6 to be replaced with the fucking horrible One Unit Per Tile. That idiocy gets tossed aside in HK. Instead you have armies similar to what Age of Wonders and Endless Legend utilized. Army size is limited by tech, and combat can be automated or you can fight it out in a tactical battle that takes place on the world map. No more playing the One Unit Per Tile shuffle and trying to get units to the right spot, the tactical combat is a happy medium away from the stacks of doom. Oh, and the unique units, aren't just vanilla unit +1 str and other nonsense from Civ. The special units in HK generally have unique combat mechanics, making them situationally more powerful and requiring additional consideration in tactical combat.

Graphics have great attention to detail, for example a unique building that has trees around it, will have terrain appropriate trees depending on where it is placed. Evergreens in the tundra, palms in the desert. Zooming in and exploring the map as you move through the ages provides a real treat. The music is top notch and themed both on the era and your culture. Starting a new game provides tons of gameplay and map creation options with devs stating even more in development. Modding tools have already been released to the community, and more powerful modding tools forthcoming. The devs have been quick to patch the game since release and refine the balance of the cultures and game mechanics. And given how long Endless Legend has been supported and how much as been added since release, I feel that trend will continue with Humankind. The in-game encyclopedia and tutorial system help a ton in learning the new mechanics, and since its tied into the game, no need to alt-tab out.

Humankind is up on Gamepass and worth a play even for the casual Civ fan just to see what creativity other studios bring to the genre.If you're a big Civ fan and looking for something that really shakes things up, Humankind is a strong buy recommendation from me.
I finally get over my Civ6 addiction and you have to go and post THIS. I'm downloading Humankind now, and when my divorce is finalized in 6 months I'm sending you the attorney bills.

Also...

New build alert!

3pUHKH9.jpg

That build looks amazing. What's the specs?

And I need to get back to that game (Horizon: Zero Dawn - Complete / PC version on GOG). Gorgeous-looking game.

That build looks amazing. What's the specs?

And I need to get back to that game (Horizon: Zero Dawn - Complete / PC version on GOG). Gorgeous-looking game.
Yeah, Horizon Dongs is great. The best combat in any open world game I've played. Really satisfying to take down the big robot things. As for the PC, it is:

Ryzen 5600x w/ ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO

EVGA FTW3 3080ti

Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING ATX AM4

Corsair Vengeance Pro 32 GB DDR4-3200 CL16

Crucial P5 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME (boot drive)

Samsung 870 QVO 4 TB 2.5" SSD (for the gamez)

EVGA SuperNOVA GA 850 W 80+ Gold

be quiet! Pure Base 500DX ATX Mid Tower Case

I've been in a bit of a parts procurement frenzy in the last few months but after finally getting it all in place this week and slopping it together I'd like to think...

xQff8eL.gif

Anyone buying Diablo II Resurrected on PC today AND what do you guys think the odds are that it can be played on the Steam Deck when it comes out? I know other online-only games will have issues but hoping that Blizzard games might work …

Reply: D2R on SteamDeck / Linux / SteamDeck.

Does Linux flavors / SteamOS support say Battle.Net app?

I believe D2:R will probably require Battle.Net.

We also need to know if there's any crap that can get in the way here...

...such as any annoying anti-cheat software and/or DRM that can cause D2R not to work on SteamOS / Linux.

It's also is probably worth checking the Proton list (Proton is SteamOS's compatibility layer).

This Proton List is the current list of what games on Steam work on Linux.

Since SteamDeck is typical x86/x64 stuff for hardware - we know you can add Windows to it; Valve's already confirmed that. So, if you got enough space to partition this bad boy; and/or have another drive connected that you have some space on - also stick Windows 10 on there; and put both D2R and Blizzard's app on there.

Valve does NOT recommend removing SteamOS and then putting Windows on there instead, as you'll lose whatever specific optimizations and whatnot are made specifically just for the Deck....and also probably b/c Valve would rather you use their SteamOS. ;) See here for more on that stuff about the Deck.

You're probably better off using SteamOS alone on the Deck; and/or finding a way to get both SteamOS and Windows w/ both OS's on there.

EDIT: Doesn't look like out-the-box, as of at least 5 months ago, Battle.Net is supported on Linux officially. See this. Doesn't mean people won't come up w/ solutions by the time Steam Deck comes out and after it...but, doesn't look that good officially, so far. If Steam Deck takes off & does gang-busters, who knows if Blizzard will change their mind on this (or any other companies, for that matters); who knows. [shrug]

Looks like there are ways to get Battle.Net app onto Ubuntu (a version/flavor of Linux) by using WINE - but this does look like this could be a pain; see here. Not sure if this would work on SteamOS itself (which is based off Debian). [shrug]

It’s all a moving target until release, just today they announced easy anticheat now works both natively on Linux and in proton, so that’s one anticheat down. Also Diablo 3 has been able to run via proton for years now, so it does work, it’s just whether or not the bnet client also remains stable in proton, but it has worked before. They've also put in mentions of adding third party games in the UI just like on the PC, so you can believe they are testing all these third party clients like bnet, uplay, etc so you can add their games as third party.

And proton is just wine++, wine will already be on steam decks by virtue of that. Also steamos won’t be Debian based with 3.0 anyway. Theres a difference between bnet not being linux native, and being able to still run the client well enough via proton that it doesnt matter. I doubt valve is really trying to push these other companies to make linux native versions of their clients, but if they can run them well enough via proton thats all they need. For example lots of people say all the ass creed games run fine via proton, and that uplay also runs fine via proton to enable them, so the same goes for bnet

Anyone buying Diablo II Resurrected on PC today AND what do you guys think the odds are that it can be played on the Steam Deck when it comes out?
Yes, and yes.

Rather or not you'll need to install windows on the steamdeck remains to be seen.

Also DII has an offline mode as it offers single player characters only.

D2R issues.

RockPaperShotgun - Like the old D2, binding hotkeys to D2R is still a mess:
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/diablo-2-resurrected-hotkeys-are-still-a-goddamn-mess

Online play is a mess with D2R:
MMORPG on this - https://www.mmorpg.com/news/diablo-ii-resurrected-seeing-launch-day-server-issues-2000123153
RockPaperShotgun - https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/diablo-2-resurrected-characters-keep-disappearing-among-many-launch-issues

Notes:
- Players been having issues w/ signing into servers, having online play...
- ....And getting their online characters to be accessed while online, etc etc.
- Like old-school D2, D2R has separate offline saves and online saves for your characters.
- Though, offline play has worked fine, after you authenticate the game online once.
- They will try to add more servers for online play.

D2R issues.

RockPaperShotgun - Like the old D2, binding hotkeys to D2R is still a mess:
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/diablo-2-resurrected-hotkeys-are-still-a-goddamn-mess

Online play is a mess with D2R:
MMORPG on this - https://www.mmorpg.com/news/diablo-ii-resurrected-seeing-launch-day-server-issues-2000123153
RockPaperShotgun - https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/diablo-2-resurrected-characters-keep-disappearing-among-many-launch-issues

Notes:
- Players been having issues w/ signing into servers, having online play...
- ....And getting their online characters to be accessed while online, etc etc.
- Like old-school D2, D2R has separate offline saves and online saves for your characters.
- Though, offline play has worked fine, after you authenticate the game online once.
- They will try to add more servers for online play.
50% off Christmas sale it is!

I'll just play old-school Diablo II with LoD - you know, a working version of the game - until things clear up and get cheaper with D2R. [shrug]

bread's done
Back