Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
That one is interesting, those reminds me of a android device. So that one is much better and might be suited for me then right. Are they upgradeable like a normal pc.
Some are, usually just the ram, wifi module and swap out the ssd for a bigger drive or add a second one.

this dying light 2 feels alot like dying light 1. which is fine because i enjoyed the first one, i think, it's been six years my memory isn't what  it used to be. anyways as mentioned in a previous post the story/writing is meh, take it or leave it. i play for the parkour and smashing zombies faces in. so if you're interested i'd say it's worth getting maybe at half off, or a humble choice, whichever comes first.

I can wait on Dying Light 2.

I still need to work on DL1 base-game and also even actually start The Following DLC/expansion.

EDIT:

this dying light 2 feels alot like dying light 1. which is fine because i enjoyed the first one, i think, it's been six years my memory isn't what it used to be.
Jan. 26th, 2015 is when DL1 came out, according to Steam.

A little over 7 years ago, more or less.

EDIT 2:

Digital Foundry - PC Tech Review: "Graphics Analysis, Optimised Settings, Performance Tests!":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnAn5TRz_2g

Last edited by a moderator:
I never played DL1 and will wait on this one since everyone seems to say it's more DL1. That ray tracing sure looks pretty though. Some games are "Meh, who cares about ray tracing, it barely makes a difference" but this isn't one of them.

Big think -- how much can game devs really push the envelope if modern GPUs cost several times more than their console counterparts?

Is the adoption rate of raytracing capable GPUs that good or is it just something for the privileged few?

Consoles may set an upper bound sooner than expected and hopefully Steam Deck sets a positive lower bound on performance.

I would rather just more optimization, at this point, than constant upgrade cycles, since anything past what I have would be a four figure graphics card purchase.  Ouch.  More so when my PS5 was $500.  A top end Steam Deck is $650.  For the price of both combined, it's still cheaper than just a GPU upgrade.

Odd times.

Well, the idea is to have the ray-tracing mechanics baked into the graphics engine (and I assume those mechanics are largely modular as well and not developed from scratch each time).  Make a game with XYZ engine and you can flip on the RT, set your light sources and it does the rest.  You're not really taking time away from optimization or other things and spending a million hours on adding RT for the "privileged few" but you are producing a game world that looks, at its best, pretty awesome and helps get attention and makes people think that you produce some pretty cool stuff.

Current gen consoles include some RT capability themselves (DL2 has some RT in the console versions) so it'd still be worth it for a dev to add RT and then, at that point, you might as well include the extra bells & whistles that make it shine on a high end GPU since you already did the base work.

Speaking of, in terms of consoles setting a upper limit, it's GPU development that creates the features that eventually make it into consoles.  Sort of like how heated seats and in-dash displays are consumer level car features now that used to be high-end luxury bits.  Consoles have ray tracing and FSR because it was developed for gaming GPUs and the PS6 will have whatever gets cooked up between now and then (and better RT)

this dying light 2 feels alot like dying light 1. which is fine because i enjoyed the first one, i think, it's been six years my memory isn't what it used to be. anyways as mentioned in a previous post the story/writing is meh, take it or leave it. i play for the parkour and smashing zombies faces in. so if you're interested i'd say it's worth getting maybe at half off, or a humble choice, whichever comes first.
I got the first when it initially launched in a Russian 4-pack (those were the days) -- paid approximately $10. Melee combat was fun and tooling around the city was fun but I thought there were a lot of gameplay elements missing that weren't explored enough. It had some crappy tacked-on 'versus' multiplayer and, in single-player, they didn't do enough to incentivize players to travel during the more dangerous night cycles.

That said, I played it relatively early in release and apparently they did a lot of support years later. Never played "The Following" or any other DLC.

Raytracing is supposed to be a dynamic feature, though.  Not certain how it could be baked in, like other lighting, but I ain't no programmer.

However, with the AAA space adding even yet more aggressive monetization schemes (NFT, anyone?), I guess I'll stick with my pixel art bullshit.

Raytracing is supposed to be a dynamic feature, though. Not certain how it could be baked in, like other lighting, but I ain't no programmer.
The instructions for the GPU on how to do it are part of the game engine. You set your light sources and the GPU uses the baked in instructions to work out where the light is coming from and how luminous it is and, from there what's lit up, how brightly, what's in shadow, what's reflective/translucent (and to what extent), etc. The dynamic part is the ability to set light sources, move lights around and have it all properly and realistically affect the scene on that micro-level.

Once it's in the engine, you take your zombie game and set the sun, flashlight, overhead electrical lights, etc but then go to your elf game and use the same set of instructions on your sun, torches, candles and fireballs and your sci-fi game and set the neon lights, computer displays and laser beams. The added development time after the instructions are written is minimal.

Raytracing is supposed to be a dynamic feature, though. Not certain how it could be baked in, like other lighting, but I ain't no programmer.

However, with the AAA space adding even yet more aggressive monetization schemes (NFT, anyone?), I guess I'll stick with my pixel art bullshit.
Gaming behind the curve is the way to go. I loved State of Decay 1 and anticipated buying the sequel immediately on release. However, they pulled a Microsoft Store exclusive so it got buried behind bundle fodder. Sure enough... it eventually became bundle fodder itself in that recent Humble for $12 with other games.

The upside is that, in the years since release, the developers added a lot of content and gameplay features (and continue to do so). Having the benefit of the more polished version and can't fathom having to have had play what was effectively a beta for the intervening years.

Some games used baked lighting and then throw RT stuff on top. So yeah, those games are behind the curve in some ways, as they are still using a lot of baked lighting.

What Metro Exodus EE (all old lighting removed and only uses RT) and Dying Light 2 are doing (RT on sounds like it disables all of the baked-lighting here and you get RT-only here, according to DF) is totally something new & likely the future of RT, provided they can get everybody new-GPU's and can also get everybody aboard the RT Train.

likely the future of RT, provided they can get everybody new-GPU's and can also get everybody aboard the RT Train.
The next gen of consoles (or mid-gen refresh) will almost certainly have enhanced RT capabilities. Sort of held back by AMD being behind Nvidia in that arena but there's no reason to think that ray tracing is going to go away. And, again, if you're making your console games ray traced, there's zero reason to not turn the dials up for the PC version. Developers like showcasing PC versions anyway since they can put the 4k RTX 3090 generated screenshots in their promo packets, "look at how amazing this game is".

NSIAP, but GODS Remastered is being removed from digital storefronts in ~7 weeks.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/628720/announcements/detail/4515423468947477870

Due to licensing restrictions the distribution of GODS Remastered will end on Mar 27, 2022.
It was discounted 90% to $0.99 until yesterday - I saw a post on SG and bought it then not knowing about the upcoming de-listing.

I guess it'll go on sale again before March 27, but if not:

y no wen 99 cents?

Also, have a Gala freebie:

https://freebies.indiegala.com/figment

Dead by Daylight: 0CD23-793LD-LNJED

Payday 2: 0J68F-5IZCZ-VTIVR

Magicka: 0B47I-VF72G-LYNPL

Dungeon Endless: 0JWJ2-2HAJ9-8GQGK

Little Nightmares: QEE8E-L45VJ-7YG2N

Red Faction: 0EWCQ-5FWXF-ATM8G

Cancer bundle leftovers.

Real friends are not so quick to turn their backs.

Gaming behind the curve is the way to go. I loved State of Decay 1 and anticipated buying the sequel immediately on release. However, they pulled a Microsoft Store exclusive so it got buried behind bundle fodder. Sure enough... it eventually became bundle fodder itself in that recent Humble for $12 with other games.

The upside is that, in the years since release, the developers added a lot of content and gameplay features (and continue to do so). Having the benefit of the more polished version and can't fathom having to have had play what was effectively a beta for the intervening years.
The release version of SOD2 was hilarious though. Great clips from streamers where they just randomly would fly out of the cars or get blown up and fly half way across the map.

I got the first when it initially launched in a Russian 4-pack (those were the days) -- paid approximately $10. Melee combat was fun and tooling around the city was fun but I thought there were a lot of gameplay elements missing that weren't explored enough. It had some crappy tacked-on 'versus' multiplayer and, in single-player, they didn't do enough to incentivize players to travel during the more dangerous night cycles.
RIP russian 4pack pricing

Anyways yea they have improved on some of that. There is more night incentive now because there are lots of places marked as 'better done at night' because now the zombies float in and out where all the big baddies roam around inside during the day, then come out at night. So going to do those inside missions is much better done at night while the biggies are out shopping

I dont think they have that versus crap anymore, not that any played it, but havent bothered to look. But Im with the previous review, for the most part its DL1++, more stuff to do, looks nicer (the PC RT stuff cranked all way up way surpasses what it looks like on a console with their RT turned up and its actually do-able on a PC at 60fps).

The 2 downsides though, the big one to me is the loss of shared co-op missions, now everyone keeps their loot/xp/etc but they dont share mission progress which did happen in the first where you could all complete missions together if you didnt already finish them, then they would count for everyone. Now it only counts for the 'host' users and is dumb and stupid and should feel bad. The other being a stupid infection timer where basically everyone is 5min away from turning into a zombie at night without some sort of intervention. Timers are bad and should feel bad as well

Oh wow - I completely forgot about State of Decay. It's been sitting in my library ready to entertain me with zombies until I even get around to buying Dying Light 1. Thanks!

Oh wow - I completely forgot about State of Decay. It's been sitting in my library ready to entertain me with zombies until I even get around to buying Dying Light 1. Thanks!
I have them both in my library too and almost forgot about them until I multiplied State of Decay times Dying Light 1 and got two games that I added in my Steam library that I'll never play instead of just one! And I bought them both for $10 each so I got $0.50 back in coupons to put towards some shovelware games that I'll never play! The power of math!

State of Decay 1 is fairly shallow in terms of content, but I found the core gameplay really fun (you'd want to play Breakdown mode as the base game is a tepid narrative with extremely easy difficulty). The sequel fleshes things out more and adds a lot more depth to mechanics that were sort of half-baked in the first.

I have them both in my library too and almost forgot about them until I multiplied State of Decay times Dying Light 1 and got two games that I added in my Steam library that I'll never play instead of just one! And I bought them both for $10 each so I got $0.50 back in coupons to put towards some shovelware games that I'll never play! The power of math!
Mathheads going and ruining everything yet again. Keep your digits out of my sector.

Mathheads going and ruining everything yet again. Keep your digits out of my sector.
Buy 1 $10 game, multiply it by another $10 game (1 x 1) and then you can get one $0.50 coupon to multiply by another $0.50 coupon, making two coupons for a whole $1. Therefore, 1 x 1 = 2. I didn't know that Kyle was actually IATCG in disguise this whole time, but he really fooled me.

I don't give reviews, just deals. If they upset you this much, you could try blocking me, or try not posting on a deals forum. Otherwise, idk what to tell ya

Should raytracing even matter when solely want to enjoy the game for what it's worth? Granted most want top everything but even that can be a bit much

Should raytracing even matter when solely want to enjoy the game for what it's worth? Granted most want top everything but even that can be a bit much
No it wont change the mechanics or anything, but if you go by any of the graphical difference videos like those from DF, it makes a huge difference in the lighting, which really changes both the shadowing and atmosphere in tons of places in this game. I do think this is one of the few where it can actually help the game, ones like battlefield or cod, who really cares about RT especially for multiplayer, but a lot of this game depends on atmosphere so it adds to it

When it's available - absolutely. The point is to make the game look as good as it can go and also to immerse you (the player) into it as much as possible.

If you're playing a single-player game, it can make many scenes look much better and more realistic. With games that are doing the realism thing, it just makes it more realistic & immersive; especially games that give you lots of freedom. You can sit there and take in the sights - and when many games are going for realism, it makes sense. When you can soak in a scene in especially open-world games - it's much better, more realistic, and prettier to look at.

With something like Metro Exodus: Enhanced in particular (not the OG version) - b/c of the RT-Only in THAT version, it's one of the best looking games out there. It looks better than the old Metro Exodus version by a mile, IMHO - b/c they ditched the baked-lighting in the Enhanced version. And since it's built in such at atmospheric way in so many ways, RT only adds to it. Especially since it's trying to be very realistic in many ways (with atmosphere, realistic art design, etc), despite not doing so (i.e. MONSTERS!).

Given what we also know about Dying Light 2 - again, it's on some next-level stuff. And given the game's story, dialogue, and whatnot sounds like "meh" - yeah, it better do something else to keep me going & invested. RT features certainly will help - and since this is next-level type of RT usage, that makes it worth likely turning on.

There are games like say Watch Dogs: Legion, which isn't a great game by any means, IMHO - it's story & character stuff is very "meh"; and its missions are often repetitive (especially side stuff) - but, there's still something about cranking it up to 11 on the RTX 3070 and I can still can goof around the world and just roam, admiring how good it looks w/ RT On, especially at Night-time. Watch Dogs 1 and 2 are still the better game, TBH.

The other problem is - once you see it, hard to un-see it. I can point out shadows not looking right, light not bouncing right, and other stuff in older titles...b/c I've seen what RT does, especially from Metro Exodus Enhanced.

I got the first when it initially launched in a Russian 4-pack (those were the days).
putin-vladimir-putin.gif

I thought Snipes died.

Then I thought the reboot was canceled.

Then I realized.
I know, right? I can’t believe that leather trench coats went out of fashion.

Are we sure it’s the right person? The banned account is some kind of alt, his real account is still there.

Wow. The mods finally caught up to Blade. Guys like him were part of the reason I moved over to the PCGamer forums. Talk about obsessive. Dude would still bring up stuff that happened a decade ago. Glad the mods dealt with him since the whole harassing a new member for posting a deal was not a good look. Maybe this place still has hope.

I typically just try to avoid / ignore silly drama but I'll just say look closely.  Someone made a parody account with a capital "i" in place of the L.  It's more trolling, just of the more disturbing, twisted, nolife variety.

Sorta ontopic:  I got the $25 microcenter coupon from posting a build last week.  Will probably go in try to use it on a cpu.  I'll probably do a 10700k for $175.

Dang. Good spotting that discrepancy.

I guess I ≠ l

...Maybe this place still has hope.
Doubtful.

I do miss some of the old faces.

I can't move to PCGF because change is hard. And it's easier to say CAG than PCGF because of the lack of vowels.

Sorta ontopic: I got the $25 microcenter coupon from posting a build last week. Will probably go in try to use it on a cpu. I'll probably do a 10700k for $175.
I submitted but they didn't get back to me. Too bad because I had an i5-10400 & B560M board on hold and was hoping to get the coupon for the purchase but nope. And it was their last B560M so I had to get it before the hold period expired. Damn you, Micro Center!

(Even without the coupon, it was way cheaper than Amazon/Newegg would have been)

No it wont change the mechanics or anything, but if you go by any of the graphical difference videos like those from DF, it makes a huge difference in the lighting, which really changes both the shadowing and atmosphere in tons of places in this game. I do think this is one of the few where it can actually help the game, ones like battlefield or cod, who really cares about RT especially for multiplayer, but a lot of this game depends on atmosphere so it adds to it
Fair point though appreciate the reply

When it's available - absolutely. The point is to make the game look as good as it can go and also to immerse you (the player) into it as much as possible.

If you're playing a single-player game, it can make many scenes look much better and more realistic. With games that are doing the realism thing, it just makes it more realistic & immersive; especially games that give you lots of freedom. You can sit there and take in the sights - and when many games are going for realism, it makes sense. When you can soak in a scene in especially open-world games - it's much better, more realistic, and prettier to look at.

With something like Metro Exodus: Enhanced in particular (not the OG version) - b/c of the RT-Only in THAT version, it's one of the best looking games out there. It looks better than the old Metro Exodus version by a mile, IMHO - b/c they ditched the baked-lighting in the Enhanced version. And since it's built in such at atmospheric way in so many ways, RT only adds to it. Especially since it's trying to be very realistic in many ways (with atmosphere, realistic art design, etc), despite not doing so (i.e. MONSTERS!).

Given what we also know about Dying Light 2 - again, it's on some next-level stuff. And given the game's story, dialogue, and whatnot sounds like "meh" - yeah, it better do something else to keep me going & invested. RT features certainly will help - and since this is next-level type of RT usage, that makes it worth likely turning on.

There are games like say Watch Dogs: Legion, which isn't a great game by any means, IMHO - it's story & character stuff is very "meh"; and its missions are often repetitive (especially side stuff) - but, there's still something about cranking it up to 11 on the RTX 3070 and I can still can goof around the world and just roam, admiring how good it looks w/ RT On, especially at Night-time. Watch Dogs 1 and 2 are still the better game, TBH.

The other problem is - once you see it, hard to un-see it. I can point out shadows not looking right, light not bouncing right, and other stuff in older titles...b/c I've seen what RT does, especially from Metro Exodus Enhanced.
Appreciate the reply back equally as far as details and such go. Having discussions like this truly help get a better feel from different people on what works and what doesn't. That being said even though im running on 3050,I will still make best besides with the consoles until it's time to get 40 series

Appreciate the reply back equally as far as details and such go. Having discussions like this truly help get a better feel from different people on what works and what doesn't. That being said even though im running on 3050,I will still make best besides with the consoles until it's time to get 40 series
Congrats on getting a 3050, which is a RTX Card. Are you on desktop or laptop?

While the 8gb VRAM - if you got the desktop card - will help for the nice VRAM amount & buffer to push details, I don't know how good RT performance-wise will be on that card. Definitely gonna need to use DLSS or FSR, if you're gonna turn RT On.

On the laptop 3050 cards - ouch, 4GB VRAM gonna be tough to handle RTX, as RT is a VRAM-eater.

About getting a 4xxx series card - eh, I usually think it's best for most gamers to buy every other or few generations on a GPU, not every gen; especially if you're going w/ the same ending numbers/class.

Also, about RTX Cards - since you also have DLSS and DLDSR, make sure you use those too. DLSS and FSR are very nice performance boosters, so use them when you can and need them; and DLDSR can really boost image quality on older titles to up-rez & up-scale them.

Wow. The mods finally caught up to Blade. Guys like him were part of the reason I moved over to the PCGamer forums. Talk about obsessive. Dude would still bring up stuff that happened a decade ago. Glad the mods dealt with him since the whole harassing a new member for posting a deal was not a good look. Maybe this place still has hope.
That guy got banned? I noticed that two of my last five profile visits were from him within the last week. So clearly his jimmies were rustled... for some reason lol

bread's done
Back