Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
Another question or 2 about the Steam Deck, since I'm curious here...

Do EA games utilizing EA Desktop App, EA Origin actually work on Steam OS/Linux OS/Steam Deck?

What about even Ubisoft Connect (formerly Uplay) games from Ubi?

Last edited by a moderator:
Another question about the Steam Deck, since I'm curious here - do EA games utilizing EA Desktop App, EA Origin actually work on Steam OS/Linux OS/Steam Deck?

What about even Ubisoft Connect (formerly Uplay) games from Ubi?
You have to install their launcher as a non steam game, then install the game from that launcher, and find the correct compatibility settings to get it working, but yes those games do work.

They were broken for a little while but I think they are working again with the latest proton updates

Any luck on the Steam Deck w/ say Xbox for PC with say PC Game Pass or Windows Store games?

Think stuff like say Gears 4, Gears 5, Forza Horizon 4 and 5?

Battle.Net Holiday Sale:

Highlights:

Diablo 2: Resurrected = $13.19.

Diablo: Prime Evil Collection:

-> Full Collection (for those who own nothing) = $19.79.

-> Upgrade Pack (for those who own at least one part, but not all of it) = $17.30.

Diablo: Prime Evil Collection includes:

- Diablo 2: Resurrected

- Diablo 3 base-game

- Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls expansion pack

- Diablo 3: Rise of Necromancer Pack

- Diablo 3 extra items: Mephisto Pet & Hatred's Grasp Wings
Definitely picking up D2 at that price. Especially since I have plenty of Battle.net bucks from selling off WoW gold years ago.

Any luck on the Steam Deck w/ say Xbox for PC with say PC Game Pass or Windows Store games?

No, cause you need a full windows install to be able to get the store to do the install, plus if it's still a UWP game thats all sorts of other hassles. Of course if you really want you could dual boot to windows, or do game pass streaming, but those are really the only options (or buy them on steam if they are there)

I'm running a 64gb upgraded to 1tb with dual boot for windows. The windows experience is improving but as sasquat4 suggests streaming gamepass via edge on the steamos/Linux side is still easier for 90% of users. Latency makes FH5 feel a little bad to me, but it's playable and 100% fine for less "twitchy" titles.

For all SteamDeck owners (especially those that use SD cards,) the newest update apparently changes the path to the SD card, so if you have non-steam games on the SD card things could go all sorts of wrong after the 3.4 stable update.  

1wDcpKhx4WG5VrpvhCFT81p_PCVaizEv-kSz06LCsZA.jpg

You can repair things by following the instructions listed (if you use Steam Rom Manager or Emudeck) but you may want to hold off on installing the 3.4 update to see if they revert the path change.  

Why they decided to change a path, that could break all sorts of things, is beyond me....

Wondering if anyone with knowledge on shared networks might be able to help on this:

At my work I'm responsible for a monthly Excel spreadsheet that several other employees use. Every few months an error will pop up that the spreadsheet is locked and being used by another user. When contacting the user, they don't actually have it (or even Excel) opened

I have had them try deleting cookies and totally rebooting their work computers, but it never fixes the error. I've tried deleting the tmp file for the sheet but it won't let me as it says it's in use

It just seems like after awhile the error randomly goes away. But even now after work hours, I'm still getting the error so idk. Frustrating because by the time I send a ticket to IT and they look at it, the error is done

Seems like it's an error with one of the employees' Excel not properly closing, but I have no idea how to remedy this. Not finding much about it on google either, lots of people have the error but no one really posts solutions. Anyone ever deal with this and have some advice?

Chances Darktide goes on sale Thursday? Now that I know Game Pass servers are separate from everyone else, it's no wonder the game felt dead population-wise. Really sucks; beginner's trap but it's super easy to level to 30 in a few days so no huge loss since I'll have to restart and didn't have anything godlike yet.
FYI, Darktide is now on other game key stores like Fanatical. Down to $34 now with various discount codes. Humble is still at $40.

Wondering if anyone with knowledge on shared networks might be able to help on this:

At my work I'm responsible for a monthly Excel spreadsheet that several other employees use. Every few months an error will pop up that the spreadsheet is locked and being used by another user. When contacting the user, they don't actually have it (or even Excel) opened

I have had them try deleting cookies and totally rebooting their work computers, but it never fixes the error. I've tried deleting the tmp file for the sheet but it won't let me as it says it's in use

It just seems like after awhile the error randomly goes away. But even now after work hours, I'm still getting the error so idk. Frustrating because by the time I send a ticket to IT and they look at it, the error is done

Seems like it's an error with one of the employees' Excel not properly closing, but I have no idea how to remedy this. Not finding much about it on google either, lots of people have the error but no one really posts solutions. Anyone ever deal with this and have some advice?
We run into this at work from time to time.

If someone's machine restarts while they're in a spreadsheet, it can create a lock on it (that seems to be what causes it for us.)

So, someone with rights to the share has to go and kill that locked connection to the spreadsheet via 'Open Files' under Shared Folders on a file server.

Hope that makes sense.

yes it does, I just bought into the upgrade to complete d3 and get d2r since I wanted controller support (and it does look a lot nicer). It is some hoop jumping to do though, just like any other launcher on deck you have to download the installer, add it as a non-steam game and launch it with proton enabled. This lets you install it into it's own proton/windows instance. After thats done then you can replace that non-steam game with the installed launchers executable. After that you can just run the launcher as a non steam game and install whatever you want via it into it's windows instance.

It can still be hit or miss though, some games still wont run, i.e. I really wanted to run riders republic on my deck but just cant get it to even though it did at deck launch. I did install d2r tonight though and it runs fine for me, recognizes the deck as a controller properly and everything and I didnt notice any weirdness. Also since d2r requires internet, or to be run via bnet (there does seem to be some sort of offline mode but I think you still have to log back in every 30 days) there isnt a way afaik to just launch the game by itself without the launcher.

As far as d3, remember there is no native controller support for the pc version and so the same would still apply here. I think there are community made control presets that try to do some proper controller mapping but no clue how well they work.

Is it all worth it over the switch, ehh. If you're looking for ease of use, definitely not. If you want everything in one place and to have it look a bit nicer, maybe. But even then you may still have control issues with d3 unless you want to spend the time to get that right along with everything else
Appreciate the input!

We run into this at work from time to time.

If someone's machine restarts while they're in a spreadsheet, it can create a lock on it (that seems to be what causes it for us.)

So, someone with rights to the share has to go and kill that locked connection to the spreadsheet via 'Open Files' under Shared Folders on a file server.

Hope that makes sense.
I had this happen to me at work once. I had to explain several times I did not have the file open. One guy actually walked over to my desk because he did not believe me. So frustrating. I hate it when management wants us to fill out a spreadsheet on a shared drive. Management loves spreadsheets. At least Microsoft teams seems to not have this issue. The issue with teams is other users can overwrite your entries sometimes and management will bother you about a missing entry.

I can't wait to retire lol.

This is easily fixed using SharePoint, office 365, or Google sheets. All three support concurrent editing without being a total hack setup.
Sharepoint can be a pain in the arse to administer though. People can start spinning up sites and sharing files all over the place unless you have strict controls over it.

This is easily fixed using SharePoint, office 365, or Google sheets. All three support concurrent editing without being a total hack setup.
Until people load up a google sheet with so many calculations it takes 8 gigs of ram everytime it's opened. Spreadsheets being used in places of a half decent DB is one of the bigger annoyances I have with modern businesses.

Steam sale has started. Microsoft Flight Simulator 40th Anniversary Edition is 80% off which I think could be a price glitch. The deluxe editions are only 20% off

Also, The Division 2 and Scott Pilgrim got Steam pages!

Edit: They fixed the Microsoft Flight Simulator price. Regular edition is now also only 20% off. Got it before the fix though 💪🏻

Getting back into PC gaming since this summer and stoked for the winter sale. GMG has good XP deals on the FF Pixel Remasters, slightly more of a discount than through Steam so I finally snagged the rest of them (already had FF6).

Not really much of a PC gamer but I decided to pick up the Half-Life complete bundle for $3.58. Excited to see what all the hype is about.

Considered getting the whole Valve bundle for a few dollars more, but I have the Portal games on Switch and I'm not sure I would play the other stuff.

- You can vote in the game of the year categories all at once, and you get a Steam card for the winter sale badge each time you vote (you can vote 11 times total and get 11 cards)

- You can do a discovery queue to get one Steam card once per day throughout the sale

- If you scroll down on the main store page and click one of the categories under "browse by category", you can get one free sticker related to the holiday sale each day of the sale

- Your purchase cumulate throughout the sale and you earn one Steam trading card for every $10 spent

- In the Steam points shop, the seasonal badge has updated to the Winter 2022 badge (was previously Summer 2022). If you don't want to spend your Steam points (you get them with Steam purchases) on anything else, spending the points on this badge will raise your level. With this comes an increases max friends list size, and a higher chance of receiving card packs randomly for any game you own, which you can sell for more Steam bucks

This appears to be all the "minigame"-related stuff going on this sale

Not really much of a PC gamer but I decided to pick up the Half-Life complete bundle for $3.58. Excited to see what all the hype is about.

Considered getting the whole Valve bundle for a few dollars more, but I have the Portal games on Switch and I'm not sure I would play the other stuff.
HL2 has aged pretty damn well. Original HL, I dunno, it is 25 years old by now. Wouldn't be shocked if it was rough to play through. If you want to play the first game it might be best to jump straight to Black Mesa, provided you have a build that can handle it (doesn't require much, but still considerably more than the original and you say you aren't much of a PC gamer so I'm not sure what you've got to work with).

Outside of the Portal games, the only other thing I'd have personally recommended from the Valve bundle is L4D2 which is still a whole lot of fun with a good group, and much better than Back 4 Blood.

But yeah, if you got a good modern PC - Black Mesa all the way. I need to play that more; it's an awesome Remake.

If you're running Half-Life 1: Old-versions...

Xash3D Engine might be the best way to run HL (original), Blue Shift, Opposing Force, and all of that SP campaign stuff.

If you have Half-Life: Source - eh, this can get rough & tough. That's best to install off the OG discs or GOTY Edition discs, if you got them...b/c Valve broke the game w/ all kinds of updates on the Engine since back then. See this guide on Steam, if you got those discs.

EDIT:

If you're gonna do HL: Source, actually this might be the best option no matter what version of HL Source you got: just use Half-Life: Source - Fixed Mod to fix the game & its Engine. A Guide on how to do that properly this way is over here on Steam guides for it.

The best way to buy the Valve games is get The Orange Box for $1.99 and then get Portal 2 and Left 4 Dead 2 for $1 each. The rest of the complete pack isn't worth it imo. Black Mesa is the best way to play Half-Life 1 now.

HL2 has aged pretty damn well. Original HL, I dunno, it is 25 years old by now. Wouldn't be shocked if it was rough to play through. If you want to play the first game it might be best to jump straight to Black Mesa, provided you have a build that can handle it (doesn't require much, but still considerably more than the original and you say you aren't much of a PC gamer so I'm not sure what you've got to work with).

Outside of the Portal games, the only other thing I'd have personally recommended from the Valve bundle is L4D2 which is still a whole lot of fun with a good group, and much better than Back 4 Blood.
I'm possibly getting a new laptop soon (most likely not a gaming intensive pick), so my situation may change, but as of now I was planning to play the games in Boot Camp on a 2015 MacBook Pro.

I'm possibly getting a new laptop soon (most likely not a gaming intensive pick), so my situation may change, but as of now I was planning to play the games in Boot Camp on a 2015 MacBook Pro.
Glancing at Black Mesa’s recommended specs, you should be okay as long as you aren’t trying to run it at high settings.

What a last few months for Post-Apoc games lately.

Encased free on Epic; ATOM RPG and Trudograd been in bundles and/or cheap IIRC; Fallout 3 GOTY was before Free on Epic; Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics was free on Epic; Wasteland 3 is in the current Humble Monthly/Choice; FO NV Ultimate was Free on Amazon with a GOG Key.

Good (post-apoc) times.

Getting back into PC gaming since this summer and stoked for the winter sale. GMG has good XP deals on the FF Pixel Remasters, slightly more of a discount than through Steam so I finally snagged the rest of them (already had FF6).
Update - this may be old news to some, but Bing / Microsoft Rewards has 5% cashback on GMG, which is an additional nice perk. Will be buying from them more when there's something I want.

Agreed, plenty of shooters from the early 2000s are showing their age and are hard to go back to (Doom 3, Soldier of Fortune, the early Medal of Honor games were all impressive for their time but feel very dated now). Half Life 2 has such a wonderful atmosphere, sound design, and physics which still feel pretty impressive. I think the original Halo is the only other single player FPS from that era which can feel relatively timeless, especially with the upgrades in the modern release.

Games like UT / UT 2003 etc are on my short list too, for what it's worth.

I actually just got a steam deck and bought Black Mesa and Half—Life 2 from a previous sale. Is there a best order to play these? I know Black Mesa retells the first game story wise, but going to HL2 right after might be weird since it’s so old.

I wish I entered to win that steam deck doing VGA. Heard they gave out more some time after, for people who registered. Its just so much you can do with it right, ps5 remote play, GP dont care for, emulators of ps3 and below, steam/epics games store.

I wish I entered to win that steam deck doing VGA. Heard they gave out more some time after, for people who registered. Its just so much you can do with it right, ps5 remote play, GP dont care for, emulators of ps3 and below, steam/epics games store.
lol. Over 1 million people were registered supposedly and under 500 winners selected. Your odds of winning one weren't that good anyway

lol. Over 1 million people were registered supposedly and under 500 winners selected. Your odds of winning one weren't that good anyway
None of that mattered anyway, it wasn't tracking who was watching the stream properly. It only tracked a few mins for me even though I watched the entire stream. There was a way to check the log and for most people it didn't track their time. So it's likely none of us even had a chance lol

I actually just got a steam deck and bought Black Mesa and Half—Life 2 from a previous sale. Is there a best order to play these? I know Black Mesa retells the first game story wise, but going to HL2 right after might be weird since it’s so old.
HL2 might be as close as an FPS can get to being timeless. Excellent pacing and storytelling. Terrific atmosphere. And it's remarkable how good the Source engine looks 20 years later. I wouldn't worry at all about playing it after Black Mesa.

bread's done
Back