Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
Any fee from purchasing from Fanatical would be from your card provider.

https://support.fanatical.com/hc/en-us/articles/202389132-Payment-methods-and-currencies-supported

"Please note that some card providers impose a fee or commission fee for purchases made outside of your local country (we are based in the UK) or in currencies other than your local currency - we do not know and cannot control those charges."

As for a "proper USA key".  99% of Steam keys are "RoW" (rest of world) keys.  Rarely a game will be restricted in certain countries, either for licensing/publishing rights or censorship, but key providers will issue a key based on your location. 

So, for example, a game like Wolfenstein, which would be censored in Germany to remove Nazi iconography, would have keys for Germany and a RoW key.  If someone would buy the game from Germany, they'd get the Germany key.  If someone from USA bought it, they'd get a RoW key.  If someone from UK bought it, they'd get a RoW key.

Here is my next set of Steamfest Impressions. I have about 11 left to try, and may or may not give reviews of all of those. There are some really good ones in here, along with many average and some bad as well. Lots of treasures this fest, but also lots of repetitive genres and some games that should have never been demoed here, being way too early or just poor. I didn't do reviews for all of those but many were not given 3 minutes of my time.

BANCHOU TACTICS - This one is a tactical RPG about gang members in a Japanese high school I’m guessing. The former leader of a school gang organization retired and chaos ensues. You play some up and comers and want to fight the people wanting to keep up the Oni regime. This one played OK enough, although the UI for clicking and how where to face along with skills and attacks was very clunky. The story is basic gang warfare, but it’s unique. Would get on a heavier sale or bundled, but it has potential. 6/10

Gestalt: Steam & Cinder - This one is another 2D Metroidvania game, but this was quite good. The graphics and controls felt similar to SOTN and kind of played like the Mega Man Zero games. The story was pretty good. The sounds were good as well, although the music was a bit generic epic sounding. This was very clean and felt pretty fun. It is worth it on a small sale or bundled. 8.5/10

Glory & Miserable Survivors DX - 6 minutes. This is another basic Vampire Survivors clone although this one is 18+. This feels like a very average doujin game, and doesn’t control amazingly well with the Series X controller. A big time pass only for ultra cheap bundles. 5.5/10

Gravity Circuit - 12 minutes. This one is a Mega Man like 2D platformer that has beat-em-up mechanics instead of shooting. It looks and sounds good although the controls can be finicky particularly for the hookshot and sliding. This one was solid, but I was dying so much to some sketchy hit boxes (mainly around spikes), that I stopped playing. Decent, but not my cup of tea. 6/10

Grim Guardians: Demon Purge. 17 minutes. This one is an INTI Creates Metroidvania starring 2 schoolgirl demon hunters. This one looked and sounded like SOTN, but was missing something. The controls weren’t amazing, as was playing as the girl with the gun. It could only shoot forward and sometimes didn’t do enough damage. I kept dying and this one felt messy. It is polished, but is lacking something for me right now. 7/10

Gripper - 28 minutes. This one is more style over substance. You go around with 80s synth on your motorcycle it somewhat 3D tunnels like the Battletoads to get revenge and you do boss fights on your bike. I lost about 15 times on the first boss, and just realized these controls weren’t for me. I could get used to them, but they felt weird and that boss was way too hard for a first fight. I loved the look, but this was not for me at all. 6/10

A Guidebook to Babel - 13 minutes completed one scene. This is a weird interactive adventure game where you see things play out and can butterfly effect them to change outcomes. The characters are strange, as seems the story, but it looks nice and can be fun. 6.5/10

HeistGeist - 6 minutes completed one battle. This one was an alright looking and playing Slay the Spire like except you guess what the enemy does. It says they’ll attack, but not what they do. The graphics are pretty nice for the characters, although the battle graphics are a little lackluster. The big thing on this one is in addition to energy, cards have A, B, C designations and other cards give bonuses when you combo off them, such as playing a B card after an A card. It was all OK, but felt a little boring. The atmosphere was cool though. 6/10

I Am Future - 95 minutes. This is a survival futuristic post apocalyptic (the more natural kind) game where you wake up from a 6 year sleep and are on a rooftop and fixing and trying to survive with food and sleep. This was challenging and pretty fun. The setting is relatively unexplored in video games, so it was nice. I would get this on sale or bundled and it’s just a somewhat cozy but stressful game. 7.5/10

Inkbound - 11 minutes completed demo. This is the newest game from the Monster Train creators. It has a quasi turn based battle system online co-op thing. I thought it was kind of fun, but it is probably catered to co-op as playing single player felt like I was going against HP sponges. This felt kind of OK, but generic as well. A disappoint for me, and one not really on my wishlist anymore. 6/10

Looking Up I See Only A Ceiling - 2 minutes completed demo. This one is one of those interactive adventure games like Shadowgate for the NES. This one seems to be about a girl in her apartment and probably depression. It was super short and just had a few interactions and places. The UI could use some sprucing up, but the art and music was nice. 6/10

Lust Element - 28 minutes completed demo. This one was a kind of messy visual novel that is 18+ and sc-fi with 3D elements for the characters. It was OK, although the story wasn’t great or the visuals. It at least had a story and wasn’t just a big fest of junk. Still not very good, but could have been interesting. 5.5/10

Mail Time - 22 minutes completed demo. This one is a 3D platformer kind of collectahon where you deliver mail and other things for people. It was cute and generally controlled OK although things sometimes felt floaty. The music and graphics were great, and it felt very cozy. Just one of those games you could get on sale or bundled. 7/10

Mika and The Witch's Mountain - 10 minutes completed demo. This was an excellent demo. This is kind of a 3D platformer broom flying game where you play an apprentice witch thrown off a mountain and have to do deliveries to earn money and better brooms. This is based on Kiki’s Delivery Service (excellent movie if you’ve never seen it) and felt long for the 10 minutes I played. I got to do a delivery, meet some nice folks, experience pretty good Series X controller controls, and see what it could offer. I liked the graphics enough too and the music was excellent. I would get it slightly discounted or bundled. 9/10

Mr. Saitou - 15 minutes completed demo. This was a 2D RPG about a guy who gets drunk and ends up in the hospital. A little kid shows him his drawing of some worms and he ends up at work as a worm working with worms. It was charming and played and looked OK. Would be worth it on a higher discount or bundled. 7/10

My Summer Adventure: Memories of Another Life - 25 minutes completed demo. This is a visual novel. This game had a weird beginning of a lady reading a diary written by her ex. It said he was a traveler and was not meant to be in that body. This story is about that story. I actually like that it’s about a person confused to be in a new body and place, because it feels realistic to what would happen in the situation. The music isn’t bad and the graphics are quite nice. Overall it seemed written well and I would love to play on sale or bundled. 8/10

Ninja or Die - 30 minutes I believe I completed the demo. This one is a weird kind of Angry Birds type ninja game where you go slashing/throwing and saving villagers and defeating enemies by flinging yourself around. It was pretty neat and looked alright until I got to the second level. This was foggy and much harder to see. Also the terrain got really repetitive and I was ready for the game to end after 14 of those levels. Not a bad game, but I felt a lot of repetition already sinking in. Would likely only get bundled. 7/10

Oblivion Override - 27 minutes almost beat first boss. This is a 2D platformer action Dead Souls like. It is similar, but a lot less good. It still has decent controls, graphics and sound. The action feels less in your face and your moves don’t affect the enemy as much. It’s still pretty good, but I’d likely need some sale or a bundle to get it. 7.5/10

Ogu and the Secret Forest - 30 minutes. This one is a 2D overhead adventure game similar to Legend of Zelda, but much more like the original Alundra. This one has a lot of charm, good graphics, ok music and lots of puzzles. You play some white thing with his cap and bug catching net. It was solid, though I’m not the hugest fan of many environmental puzzles. Would get bundled. 7/10

Planet of Lana - 11 minutes. This one is a 2D platforming adventure game where you wake up and there is this cat thing and you go walking and jumping around in a slight Prince of Persia style in a pretty nice looking landscape. The music was really pretty too. Nothing spectacular, but would play bundled. 7/10

Pocket Mirror ~ GoldenerTraum - 18 minutes. This one is a 2D adventure horror game where you go around as a little girl solving puzzles and trying to figure out where you are and what is happening. The game crashed on me, but what was here was relatively solid and creepy. Would get it on sale or bundled. 7.5/10

The Ramsey - 9 minutes. This one is a 2D puzzle platformer where you play a gerbil and go on adventures. It controls well with the Series X controller, has decent graphics, music and sounds, and was not very frustrating. A worth game to get on sale or bundled. 7.5/10

Recolit - 8 minutes. This one was an OK 2D adventure game of an astronaut kid guy landing on a planet full of spirits it seems, carrying around only 1 item and helping them or something. The art, atmosphere, music and sounds are nice, but it was just a little underwhelming. Still would be worth it bundled. 6.5/10

Ribby: The Game - 9 minutes completed demo. This one is an overhead 2D adventure game similar looking to the Gameboy Legend of Zelda. There was a bit too many boulder pushing puzzles, but it had nice graphics, an excellent chiptune soundtrack, and quirky characters. I liked it enough and would play it on sale or bundled. 7.5/10

RIN: The Last Child - 9 minutes. This is yet another 2D Metroidvania game. This one stars a god I think who needs to master aspects and go against her siblings. It is drawn decently nicely, has a good soundtrack and controls relatively well with the Series X controller. The combat was also alright, albeit a little more floaty than I like. This isn’t bad, but there is so many of these games nowadays. It played alright, but didn’t feel amazing. 6.5/10

RINA RhythmERROR - 4 minutes completed tutorial and part of one song. This one was a pretty decent rhythm game with excellent aesthetics, okay controls on the Series X controller (two of the beats are LB and RB….would have preferred X and B), and decent songs. Overall I’d probably just get it bundled, but it seemed very playable. 6.5/10

Robolife2 - Nova Duty - 47 minutes completed demo. This one is an 18+ android simulation upbringing where you take in an android and raise her stats to get through more events and do well in contests and such. There is also a simple RPG system where you use the same color skills as an opponent and theirs becomes less effective. It was pretty fun, looked nice and the story and characters were alright. This is the second in the series, so I need to check out the first. One of the better 18+ games in the Steam Fest. 7.5/10

Room of Depression - 5 minutes. This one is a somewhat interactive visual novel about someone living with depression. I went through a walking simulator part with okay graphics and good sound. It’s more of a narrative to have an insight to this type of depression. I would probably play it bundled, but I’m not sure I’d get it myself, although it seemed to be written alright. 6.5/10

Saga of Sins - 23 minutes completed demo. This one was pretty cool and very unique. It is a 2D platformer action game similar to like Altered Beast or Gargoyle Quest. The art style was pretty nice and felt kind of like stop motion and glass window like for some stuff. The music and sound were very good, and it controlled well with the Series X controller. Very good voice acting as well. I would get it on sale or bundled. 8/10

Shattered Heaven - 31 minutes. This one is a Slay the Spire like except you control a party of 3 characters and have turns like say Darkest Dungeon. This one has pretty cool art and a lot of customization. It feels a bit unpolished in the UI, but wasn’t too bad. Overall not super exciting, but felt solid. 6.5/10

Shumi Come Home - 33 minutes completed demo. This one was very similar to that mail one I reviewed in the same Steam Fest. There is even an Easter egg for that game in this one. I felt this was the better of the two and just controlled better, although they looked and sounded similar. They are both pretty chill and nice and would get either on sale or bundled. 8/10

A Sister’s Journey - 8 minutes. This one was a 2D platformer similar to Celeste with dashing, but this one was driving me nuts. It looks nice enough, but the inaccurate IMHO dashing led to so many deaths in a row I rage quitted. This one looks like it could be a winner with a girl looking for her sister, but it drove me nuts already. 6/10

Slave Zero X - 18 minutes. This one is a 2.5D kind of hack and slash devil may cry style one. The 2.5D stuff is very gimmicky and doesn’t look amazing. The gameplay is repetitive, but responsive enough unless surrounded. Overall it was kind of neat, but was getting old for me. Would only get bundled. 6/10

Spirited Thief - 6 minutes. This one is a 2D overheard stealth game in turn based action where you steal and accomplish missions. It felt a little unpolished, but reminded me a bit of something like Deadly Rooms of Death. Overall I think it is playable and decently fun, but I would only get it bundled. 6/10

Splittown - 10 minutes. This is a game similar to games such as Maniac Mansion with no voice. The song in beginning almost seems like a homage to those games too. I got stuck in the first room, but it was alright. I’m kind of over these types of games, but I would get it bundled. 6.5/10

Stellar Mess: The Princess Conundrum (Chapter 1) - 6 minutes. This one is a pretty old school looking like Space Quest adventure game. There are no voices, but the graphics are similar. It has the verb system of later adventure games. The music was OK, and some humor was there. Overall it seems worth getting bundled or on sale. 7/10

Super 56 - 15 minutes completed demo. This one is a trip. It’s pretty much a bunch of mini games using only 1 button. Some were neat and some were pushing as fast as possible nonsense. Honestly really creative although I would only get it bundled. 7/10

Tourist Trap - 11 minutes. This one is a weird adventure game starring some kid who lives with his parents in a home that is like a zoo. There is a talking money and he guides tourists around as a job. I HATED the talking in this with fake blah blah blah blah for dialogue and there is a lot of it. It also goes slowly and drags on. There is some charm here with the good graphics, but I was annoyed by the interface and the dialogues. Would only get bundled, but has potential. 6/10

Wall World - 16 minutes completed demo. This one is kind of a mix between like a Missile Command and Steam World dig where you go up and down on a wall to get to mines which you mine for resources. You have to protect this big mecha thing that climbs up the wall with your guns and missiles. It’s OK, but lacks some polish and isn’t anywhere near as fun as Steam World Dig. Still would play it bundled. 6.5/10

Witch Guild Survivor - 12 minutes. This is another Vampire Survivors clone except with witches. It controls well, but that’s about it. It’s a bit generic overall and nothing special. 5/10

Witch Spring R - 2.2 hours completed demo. This one I was going to stop sooner but it was pretty alright. It looked great, sounded good and is a game about a witch in an RPG gathering game similar to a simpler Atelier game. This one had great voice acting and was a good time. Well worth it on sale or bundled. I do think the demo should have been shorter, but it gives a great impression of the game. 8/10

Women's Prison - 33 minutes completed demo. This one is an 18+ prison running simulation game where you are a warden looking after 3 inmates. Of course this requires you getting along with them to pass your evaluations and also keeping their cells clean. It is pretty fun and is a nice take on an eroge. 7.5/10

Last edited by a moderator:
Any fee from purchasing from Fanatical would be from your card provider.

https://support.fanatical.com/hc/en-us/articles/202389132-Payment-methods-and-currencies-supported

"Please note that some card providers impose a fee or commission fee for purchases made outside of your local country (we are based in the UK) or in currencies other than your local currency - we do not know and cannot control those charges."

As for a "proper USA key". 99% of Steam keys are "RoW" (rest of world) keys. Rarely a game will be restricted in certain countries, either for licensing/publishing rights or censorship, but key providers will issue a key based on your location.

So, for example, a game like Wolfenstein, which would be censored in Germany to remove Nazi iconography, would have keys for Germany and a RoW key. If someone would buy the game from Germany, they'd get the Germany key. If someone from USA bought it, they'd get a RoW key. If someone from UK bought it, they'd get a RoW key.

Thank you very much for the thorough answer. I am used to 'region lock' from older consoles. Though even today without region locks I only collect USA or NA region games. Of course steam is digital and not collectible in the correct sense of the word, though I was curious if there are North American codes or if digital is just worldwide 99% of the time, as you stated.

Ok so as DD83 mentioned yeah that would make sense why you saw an extra charge if its bank specific.

I would just use Paypal for most online transactions now days anyway, no dealing with extra fees. If a site doesnt support Paypal its probably not a site you want to be buying keys from anyway.  But thats just my opinion.

The funny part of "region locking" on older PC games is in most older CD-Roms units you could go in to in the settings and manually change your region up to like 5 times so it was never a huge thing on PC. But this is going way back to the late 90's early 00's .

Ok so as DD83 mentioned yeah that would make sense why you saw an extra charge if its bank specific.

I would just use Paypal for most online transactions now days anyway, no dealing with extra fees. If a site doesnt support Paypal its probably not a site you want to be buying keys from anyway. But thats just my opinion.

The funny part of "region locking" on older PC games is in most older CD-Roms units you could go in to in the settings and manually change your region up to like 5 times so it was never a huge thing on PC. But this is going way back to the late 90's early 00's .
I DID use PayPal for fanatical. I use PayPal online whenever it's an option actually. Interesting part is I have a global credit card with no foreign fees anywhere though I never knew fanatical was a foreign based website.

Some of what led me down a steam/deal site rabbit hole is I have dozens of older PC games, many with disc based DRM, that are no longer usable. I haven't found a way to run them in any easy way unfortunately. It seems I'm only forced to re-buy all of my 20 year old PC games digitally.

Are my old disc based PC games truly junk?

I DID use PayPal for fanatical. I use PayPal online whenever it's an option actually. Interesting part is I have a global credit card with no foreign fees anywhere though I never knew fanatical was a foreign based website.

Some of what led me down a steam/deal site rabbit hole is I have dozens of older PC games, many with disc based DRM, that are no longer usable. I haven't found a way to run them in any easy way unfortunately. It seems I'm only forced to re-buy all of my 20 year old PC games digitally.

Some games are NOT digitally sold anymore - like say many old racing games (likely b/c of car, track, and/or music licensing problems) like NFS: Underground 1 and 2; any of the old MechWarrior games such as MechWarrior 1,2,3,4; MechWarrior 2: Mercs; old WWE games (like WWE Raw 2002); NOLF1, 2, and Contract JACK, True Crimes: Streets of LA, True Crime: NYC - so if you got rare stuff, you might wanna hang onto them. You can always go find a cracked-EXE and make sure you virus-check them and all of that good stuff.

Use any mods you trust that use non-protected EXE's, too - i.e. Wesp5's patch for Vampire Bloodlines. A lot of times, modders use well known cracks and/or cracked it themselves to get around the junk-DRM.

You might need to be careful w/ installing any StarForce-protected games on modern Windows (i.e. W8 and newer), as those StarForce-protected games are known to cause OS problems (stability problems, security problem, can cause Windows 8/10/11 to not boot, etc) on modern OS's. Might wanna just install those on OLD systems that those StarForce-drivers won't tank (i.e. W7 or below) and just straight-up copy those installed file-folders somewhere for back-up onto a BR, DVD, external HDD, external SSD, etc...and then copy them from there onto a W7/8/10/11 system; and grab a cracked EXE.

Of course, for games available to re-purchase - many times, that's the best option: as often those have the newest patches. Especially since some games from retail like NWN2 and COH can be a patching-nightmare. Sometimes, easier to re-buy stuff that can be so dirt-cheap, too - like I rebought X3: Reunion from GOG so I didn't have to install it off like 5-6 CD discs and then patch it up; GOG version's already ready to go, out-the-gate. I re-bought NWN2: Complete on GOG namely to avoid the patching non-sense (it's so ridiculous) and to get Mysteries of Westgate premium expansion (hard to find...and since I never had it before).

Or the re-buy factor - you can just re-buy games digitally on GOG (They are probably often the best at fixing out games and having them work right after install & often have the extra weird things you might need included); Steam; Epic; etc etc.

For example - Jade Empire, Drakensang: TDE, and The Saboteur have fixes there on GOG that are NOT in the Steam-versions and even other versions. Heck, Saboteur has a fix on GOG not found on the EA Origin version, LOL - which fixes the map so it works properly on higher-resolutions (i.e. 1080p and up). Drakesang: TDE on GOG improved performance immensely w/ their own Direct3D wrapper; it's a God-send to get that game running good. Sometimes GOG version includes common mods (which they have to get approval from that modder for) like Fallout 3 and Fallout NV have so you can just boot the game and go, not needing to mod it up to just boot it up. And Vampire Bloodlines comes w/ Wesp's Unofficial Patch (Basic version), so you can be lazy and not mod it - and so the game works out the box too (bypassing that RAM error).

So, if you got an old DVD or BR drive or portable USB-based versions of these drives, no - don't get rid of them. Plus, portable USB-based DVD drives are like $20-40, so that's an easy solve there; just buy one from Amazon, Best Buy Microcenter or NewEgg. You can still install games off the disc, if need be. Just hope you got the patches or whatever stored somewhere or can find them online (always check PC Gaming Wiki), as you might need them. Though, many Securom and SafeDisc games don't work out-the-box on W7 after one of the KB updates and W8/10/11 - so you might wanna crack those, use the work-arounds, or just re-buy them.

More on Securom and SafeDisc games, to get around the DRM:

- https://www.ghacks.net/2015/09/24/microsoft-update-breaks-safedisc-games-on-windows-vista-7-and-8/

- https://www.howtogeek.com/230773/how-to-play-pc-games-that-require-safedisc-or-securom-drm-on-windows-10-8.1-8-7-and-vista/

EDIT - Yeah for International orders for Fanatical, Gamersgate, GreenManGaming, and others...so much easier to use PayPal.

Interesting, I think the one episode that got the most coverage on social media was episode 3. Thus far, I think the general public thinks that episode 3 is the best.
I think it's worst, slowest, and most boring episode of TLOU. Now, this could be part of my tastes and all - but romance stories often don't do much for me. I often find them slow and boring. So, there needs to often be something extra there - i.e. heavy conflict/drama and/or comedy (like a rom-com), for it to really work for me. Honestly, there wasn't really much of any of that in this episode, barring one particular scene...which felt like that scene really lacked a lot of set-up, background, and/or anything of much (narrative-wise & story-wise)).

There is some important stuff that happens in this episode (which you get more weight of in E4 and E5) - but like most film-makers or directors these days that want to make overly long stuff (i.e. see House of Gucci, The Irishmen, Nope, etc etc) since they don't have restrictions of length w/ VHS tapes or DVD discs, as they can toss it up at whatever length online on a streaming service and not cut/edit much out - 1h 20m or so was too long for this episode for me. There's supposedly a 2 hr. cut of this episode, which I'd guess is a snooze-fest. Probably at 40m, this episode would've been good. Or maybe split the love story up across a few episodes w/ other stuff - i.e. paired also w/ more stuff w/ the Raiders and/or Clickers.

I dunno, TLOU S1E3 was the most boring and pretentious thing I've seen since probably Brokeback Mountain for me. At least BbM had the wives and a lot of their conflict, in that film - 1st half was boring to me; 2nd half was really good....so for me, that was poorly paced overall. So, if we're going w/ newer movies on pretentious, slow, and overly long - then probably The Green Knight (2021) and Men (2022), which I thought both were insanely slow and boring AF, despite having really interesting premises....and those are probably 2 of the most disappointing films I've seen in a while.

Check out this video I think it may help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWEE2RJj3YI

Doesn't like episode 3 or Brokeback Mountain. Interesting comparison there.
Overrated by critics and very slow-paced romance stories, IMHO. Well acted and well put together production-wise, but...flat-out SLOW as molasses. Much tighter editing could've done wonders for both, IMHO. And the same also goes for Green Knight & Men; heck, those 2 are even worse-paced than TLOU S1E3 and BBM.

Even that movie Banshees (that flick w/ Colin Ferrell and Brendan Gleeson flick from the same director as the awesome In Bruges movie) belongs on this list of "slow as can be" movies list; another film overrated by critics. Three Billboards and In Bruges were much better than those 2.

EDIT - I probably should go rent or watch "A Ghost Story", if I really wanna fall asleep; heard that's slow as can be too.

Alright, I got through some more, but I still have 17~ left in the inventory.  Will plug away at those until they're turned off. 

Lots of bangers; Infection Free Zone might be a Top 5 for me, Inkbound is super fun, but has live service trappings.  Shame.

Planet of Lana:  Want more Inside or Limbo? But with a cat/monkey?  
Inkbound:  I really like the tactical RPG gameplay, but really hate it wants to be a live service
Mika and The Witch's Mountain:  Chill Kiki’s Delivery Service: The Movie: The Game
ArcRunner: third person rogue-like shooter; might be good
Astra: Fading Stars: Metroidvania that looks alright, but plays good
Afterimage:  Metroidvania that looks good, but plays alright
Infection Free Zone:  A zombie survival game that’s actually functional and fun?  Yes!
Wandering Sword:  2D-HD stuff is great, this looks fun
VanillaBeast: Retro Knock-Out!:  Feels out of touch, prob a big winner for Andrew Tate fans
RAIDBORN:  Skyrim at home.  But fun.
Last Command:  You want Snake, but with more action?  Did you like the “combat” in Undertale?  This.
Wantless:  Interesting turn based tactical RPG roguelike
Desynced: Like ogres, this has layers… too many for me; RTS base builder with depth
Spirit Swap: Puyo Puyo-esque mixed with lofi; the aesthetic may turn some off, but its fun

Overrated by critics and very slow-paced romance stories, IMHO. Well acted and well put together production-wise, but...flat-out SLOW as molasses. Much tighter editing could've done wonders for both, IMHO. And the same also goes for Green Knight & Men; heck, those 2 are even worse-paced than TLOU S1E3 and BBM.

Even that movie Banshees (that flick w/ Colin Ferrell and Brendan Gleeson flick from the same director as the awesome In Bruges movie) belongs on this list of "slow as can be" movies list; another film overrated by critics. Three Billboards and In Bruges were much better than those 2.

EDIT - I probably should go rent or watch "A Ghost Story", if I really wanna fall asleep; heard that's slow as can be too.
I just find it interesting that you choose to bash the one episode that primarily focuses on an LGBTQ relationship and then go on to compare it to another that also focuses on an LGBTQ relationship. Despite those two pieces of media both being pretty universally praised among critics and audiences, the latter being nominated for Best Picture and Best Direction among other awards. Then to call Banshees overrated as well despite that also being nominated for Best Picture. Just seems kind of baseless. But I forgot slow = bad and LGBTQ romance = bad so I digress.

I just find it interesting that you choose to bash the one episode that primarily focuses on an LGBTQ relationship and then go on to compare it to another that also focuses on an LGBTQ relationship. Despite those two pieces of media both being pretty universally praised among critics and audiences, the latter being nominated for Best Picture and Best Direction among other awards. Then to call Banshees overrated as well despite that also being nominated for Best Picture. Just seems kind of baseless. But I forgot slow = bad and LGBTQ romance = bad so I digress.
Big fan of In Bruges, but could not get into Banshees. Great performances though.

Last bit of Steam Fest impressions and some awards given for the games I liked the best. This last set had one of the better games I've played and a lot of not amazing games as well.

A Tale of Saviors: Garuda Academy - 14 minutes. Please developers don’t use the RPGMaker engine anymore. This is a decently modified RPGMaker game where you play a brother and sister who one day have their town attacked by monsters. It has RPGMaker graphics and decent music. I thought it was interesting enough, although the system is trapped by limitations. I still enjoyed what I played and thought the story could turn out well. 6.5/10

Jianghu Survivor - 6 minutes. This is a bad Vampire Survivors like game IMHO. It just feels you’re getting skills to get skills. More skills does feel better because the game starts with so many enemies coming in. It’s more of just getting everything and slowly powering it up. Frankly this is exactly what I don’t want from this type of game. It looks OK enough, with some generic music. 5.5/10

NeuroSquad - Slay the Horde - 23 minutes did one run. This one is a pretty solid Vampire Survivors like. It has guns which are nice and feels more like an Alien Tunnel (I believe that was the name) type game. It has good music, alright graphics which sometimes make the level up pellets hard to distinguish on the floors and decent controls with the Series X controller. Overall I like it enough, but feel it’s missing something. Still solid and would get it bundled. 7/10

Pretty Overseer - Dating Sim - 9 minutes completed demo. This is a dating sim where you are a trainer in a magical school. It’s more like a hardcore school where they get people that are addicted to mana and hone their abilities. It is short and didn’t show the sim elements yet, but in the screenshots you can train stats and the girls will have affections as well. In the demo you get the overview, meet the main girls and that’s it. I thought it seemed well written and the art was really nice, as well as the music. If it’s cheap I’ll get it on release or bundled. 7/10

Spiritfall - 38 minutes. This one is a beat em up kind of progression Hades Super Smash Bros rogue lite. This one is pretty fun, looks great, but it doesn’t play as well as I want it too. The combo moves are relatively spot on but enemies don’t react how you think they well when coming off of knockdowns and such. They come up pretty quickly and start their charge to their moves again. This kind of ruins the flow of battle at times and makes it really unfair if you have a whole lot of things out of your reach sending junk at you. You have to react quickly with a dodge or attack, or you’re going to lose health quickly. I may just need to get better at it but it just didn’t feel as clean, and was exasperated in the Super Smash Bros actual levels (you’ll know if you’re there), which have epic feeling monsters with almost no knockback and quick wakeup of attacks. Still worth it bundled. 6.5/10

Trail of Toads - 6 minutes. This is another 3D platformer collectathon. This feels the worst of most of the ones I’ve played in the fest. The movement is slippery and when you do your jumps I almost have to always push myself back in the air to make the jumps. I died a lot in the first area before I noticed you can double jump. That made me die less but I still died missing some jumps. It just doesn’t feel polished including the art assets. 5.5/10

Troublemaker - 26 minutes. This one is the very definition of Yakuza/Judgement at home. It’s a semi open world it seems and there is some beat em up stuff. This takes place in Indonesia and is about gangs in high schools. It seems OK although rough. The graphics are nice but not amazing, and the combat is solid if a bit sloppy. The voice recordings are all right although the recording quality is a little weird at times. I still liked it and would get heavily discounted or bundled. 6.5/10

Wandering Sword - 48 minutes. This one is a HD 2D RPG game where you play a guy who is training up after a certain incident. It has very decent music, quite pretty HD 2D RPG visuals and a decent combat system. The story is not too bad, but I’m not sure yet. This seems pretty high quality, and other than some wonky textures at times, this is pretty professional. Probably the best RPG I played during the fest. 8/10

My awards for different categories for this Steam Fest:

Honorable mentions of other highly rated games:

Dust & Neon - Almost won my best action game category being a very decent cover shooter game.

Dungeons of Aether - A good dungeon crawling game that could have won something.

Dynopunk - Almost won my best adventure game category although this is much lighter than that winner.

Pocket Mirror ~ GoldenerTraum - This horror Adventure/RPG game could have easily won either category.

Witch Spring R - Very highly rated that could have won the RPG category.

Women's Prison - About the only other 18+ game that could have won that category.

Best 2D Platformer - Bzzzt. This was just a solid speed running get through the levels quickly and try to get all the items to beat your time game. Very clean and controlled amazingly well.

Best 3D Platformer  - Shumi Come Home. A quite good collectahon with an interesting character and solid controls. Just was a delight to play.

Best 18+ Game - Robolife2 - There was a surprising amount of 18+ games, but many were trash. This one is a sequel and provides something not seen often in eroge games which is sim and raising elements. It had decent characters and it's easy to get addicted to it. This is a sequel, so if you like this play the first.

Best Action Game - Saga of Sins. This reminded me of Altered Beast and was a treat to the eyes visually as well. Really unique representation of the sins and wasn't super punishing, so it didn't aggravate me with retries.

Best Adventure Game - The Darkest Files. Well written, great voices and stories that need to be told based on true stories about punishing Nazis for their war crimes. The investigative stuff is interesting and plays into how many will lie to make something they did in the past less severe.

Best Cozy Game - Mika and The Witch's Mountain. Quite possibly my favorite demo. It was charming, whimsical, short but to the point and had character. I wanted to help her get back to the top of the mountain with the help of everyone on the island.

Best Metroidvania Game - Gestalt: Steam & Cinder. There were almost too many of these type of games. This one played the best and likely looked the best as well. I enjoyed all the action and was wishing to play more.

Best RPG - Wandering Sword. This was a no brainer as it was one of the only real RPGs I played although I included TRPGs in this as well. Just gorgeous, with enough story and a decent battle system. I wanted to keep playing it.

Best Visual Novel - My Summer Adventure: Memories of Another Life. There were fewer visual novels than usual. This one had me interested enough to want to play it more and had some realistic feelings of being in another world in another body you're not used to.

Most Frustrating Game I Still Enjoyed A Lot - I Am Future. This one is a survival sim in a post apocalyptic world where you are slowly getting your area into a sustainable place. You have to survive by eating and this one started tough. Very good mechanics here.

Best Game of the Show - Gestalt: Steam & Cinder. This game just played really well and had an interesting enough story. I wanted to play more and it was quality all around.

Reading your posts works for me.
fair-that-is-fair.gif

EDIT:

Big fan of In Bruges, but could not get into Banshees. Great performances though.
Definitely agree w/ this 100. There can be great performances in a movie - but yeah, boring can be...well, boring. A lot of that is directors and/or editors not knowing how to keep stuff moving at a decent pace for the viewer, especially when you have so many great actors & actresses that totally own roles & since the decks are so stacked w/ great talent everywhere (more so now than ever, IMHO).

Games can often get away w/ a lot of the above b/c of interaction from the player is controlled by the player so that they can take it at whatever pace and also b/c "Wow, pretty and/or technical graphics and technology" has come so far - and it's supposed to be game first, story second. It's amazing what game dev's can put out.

I started following them in the early 90s, around when they traded for Montana, and have stuck with them throughout the years and years of 49ers cast off QBs. Feels good when the long game finally pays off. Now I just need my Mets to follow suit.
Also was a big fan of Montana and Allen on the same team (KC) - but not now w/ Mahomes. Great QB and player - but as usual, he's getting LeBron type of coverage...and it's annoying. He's damn good and got a great future ahead since he's only 27 - but he don't belong in the Brady conversation...yet. When he wins 7, then he's worth talking about it in *that* conversation.

EDIT - For now, Mahones belongs in the conversation w/ all of those QB's that won 2, like Eli. Of course, he's already much better as a QB than Eli, no doubt about that.

Yet I really liked Anne Rice's Interview with the Vampire Season 1 (TV series from AMC) and loved AHS' most recent season (AHS: NYC), in which both definitely had a lot of LGBTQ themes so... [shrug]

Yeah, bit of stretch when a person doesn't like two pieces of media to say they are opposed to the relationships displayed therein. You can have taste and opinion and not be bigoted.

I really hated the Sam and Henry episode. It reminded me of Spike Lee movies (and Black Panther, ew!), which I also hate. No connection to my personal biases, though!

I loved TLoU S1E3. To me it helps the pacing of the story and reminds the audience why we fight to survive. To me TLoU is a narrative driven game. Narratives that are divisive are often more interesting to me, not that a story about holding onto what you never knew you needed should be divisive. At any rate, TLoU the game really fleshes out the main characters, I'm glad to see some of the interesting minor characters get more exposure in the show.  

Not so much a Steam thing, but more a general gaming question - I'm looking to upgrade from my GTX 1060. It's served me well, but I think it might be time. I recently upgraded from a B350 board/Ryzen 5 1600 to an X570 board/Ryzen 5 5600x.

Initially I was thinking about grabbing a 3060ti, but they seem to be a bit hard to find. I was contemplating going over to AMD - does anyone have any experience with the 6650/6700 (and the XT model) cards? Seems like those are in my price range, and  are comparable to the 3060ti.

Not so much a Steam thing, but more a general gaming question - I'm looking to upgrade from my GTX 1060. It's served me well, but I think it might be time. I recently upgraded from a B350 board/Ryzen 5 1600 to an X570 board/Ryzen 5 5600x.

Initially I was thinking about grabbing a 3060ti, but they seem to be a bit hard to find. I was contemplating going over to AMD - does anyone have any experience with the 6650/6700 (and the XT model) cards? Seems like those are in my price range, and are comparable to the 3060ti.
I own Nvidia cards but I've been advising people to buy AMD cards for the last 6-8 months now. The price/performance is in AMD's favor as they try to clear out old stock and, at that tier, things like ray-tracing matter a lot less.

I own Nvidia cards but I've been advising people to buy AMD cards for the last 6-8 months now. The price/performance is in AMD's favor as they try to clear out old stock and, at that tier, things like ray-tracing matter a lot less.
I've always been an NVidia guy - but, I gotta to ask a few questions about AMD's GPU's. Especially since they often offer up more VRAM for the prices.

How are the AMD drivers for their games, for a lot of older and newer titles?

And at the higher-end, how is RT performance on AMD? Has it gotten any better?

And what about FSR and its newer versions? Especially FSR v. DLSS?

I've tried AMD parts three separate times, two graphics cards and one CPU. All three times the parts were faulty and I had to return them

I get that it's probably just extremely bad luck on my part, but it doesn't make sense to voluntarily keep going through that hassle, especially when I've never had trouble with Nvidia cards or Intel CPUs

AMD cards are good value in theory... if you can get a working one lol. In my experience, you get what you pay for 🤷‍♂️ hopefully your luck is better than mine

I've tried AMD parts three separate times, two graphics cards and one CPU. All three times the parts were faulty and I had to return them

I get that it's probably just extremely bad luck on my part, but it doesn't make sense to voluntarily keep going through that hassle, especially when I've never had trouble with Nvidia cards or Intel CPUs

AMD cards are good value in theory... if you can get a working one lol. In my experience, you get what you pay for ‍♂ hopefully your luck is better than mine
Personally, I've had no issues with AMD hardware. The only reason I upgraded my board/CPU is because they were getting on in years. I will probably actually put together a second system with those spare parts, as I still have my old case from my 2006 build as well. I even recall having an old AMD video card back in the day....late 90's early 2000's. And my new board/CPU combo went in so smooth, with no troubles. I think you just had a run of bad luck :|

Disappointing to see no ultrawide support for Like a Dragon: Ishin. I think this is the first RGG game outside of Binary Domain to not have it. That and performance issues in the combat tutorial don't leave a great first impression and make me think this is just a stopgap budget release. 

Being mostly an AMD GPU and a 50/50 AMD/Intel CPU person, I have never had an AMD hardware problem and haven't had AMD GPU driver issues since the late 2000s - early 2010s. I had more driver issues the last time I was with Nvidia, but that was a SLI setup, so somewhat expected.

I get annoyed by so many Japanese games not supporting UW. There are usually mods to fix it but they need to start adding native support. Elden Ring, FF7 Remake, Nier Automata and Replicant just to name a few.

F.E.A.R. 1 has native UW and it's a 2005 game.

Outside of a few very small companies, Japanese game publishers don’t actually give a crap about PC gaming. It’s taken this long for the majority of the bigger companies to even bother with PC ports at all.

Outside of a few very small companies, Japanese game publishers don’t actually give a crap about PC gaming. It’s taken this long for the majority of the bigger companies to even bother with PC ports at all.
They certainly don't seem to give a crap about XBox gaming either.

Just ordered an XFX 6700 SWFT309. Picking it up later today. 

**edit** 

In theory, I can have that, and my 1060 in the case at the same time...wonder if that would cause issues, aside from potential heating.... :D

Just ordered an XFX 6700 SWFT309. Picking it up later today.

**edit**

In theory, I can have that, and my 1060 in the case at the same time...wonder if that would cause issues, aside from potential heating.... :D
Running both cards would be a D
driver nightmare, no doubt.

I ran AMD for a while. CPUs are great, GPUs had lots of crashes for me, running totally stock. Hopefully they've fixed their driver stability issues.

People say AMD is the best for overclocking cpus and gpus but as I've gotten older, I really don't enjoy the overclocking time sink of "is it stable now, Oh noes it crashed again." If you're trying to maximize your budget, it totally makes sense though.

Running both cards would be a D
driver nightmare, no doubt.

I ran AMD for a while. CPUs are great, GPUs had lots of crashes for me, running totally stock. Hopefully they've fixed their driver stability issues.

People say AMD is the best for overclocking cpus and gpus but as I've gotten older, I really don't enjoy the overclocking time sink of "is it stable now, Oh noes it crashed again." If you're trying to maximize your budget, it totally makes sense though.
Honestly, I normally run several driver versions behind, and I never overclock. I've got 15 days to chew on the purchase (BB). My 1060 is still holding up.

It's unlikely I'll keep both cards in the system. I don't have enough monitors (or space for them) to even need it. I know the most recent driver from AMD was buggy, so I would most definitely start off probably 2 or 3 versions behind.

I get annoyed by so many Japanese games not supporting UW. There are usually mods to fix it but they need to start adding native support. Elden Ring, FF7 Remake, Nier Automata and Replicant just to name a few.

F.E.A.R. 1 has native UW and it's a 2005 game.
Monolith has a history of PC titles and been hip to PC gaming. So, yeah; I'd probably expect back in the day to support some of the somewhat niche, cool & unique stuff PC gaming has going on.

About Yakuza's company RGG - we're probably lucky to be getting PC ports of console-games that are likely running on mostly normal HDTV's, normal PC monitors, and/or laptop screens.

Maybe if someone like Nixxes (owned by Sony) or QLOC ported Yakuza/Judgment/Ishin to PC, I'd expect UW support - but eh, I don't expect miracles here.

I know I need another graphics card. I've been using an AMD motherboard and processor and it's been running amazingly. I also got a great deal (discount on motherboard + processor as a combo) and got a lot more specs than I would on an Intel. They're both comparable, but even at my old work they started building using AMD processors because of the price. I haven't bought an AMD graphics card ever, so I'll likely wait till I can get a decent Nvidia card without breaking the bank (likely as a B-day present to myself in a few months). I have an ultrawide G-SYNC monitor, so I'd probably like to keep doing Nvidia. I just hate the prices still even though they're not as much as the start of Pandemic days.

Has anyone played Ishin on the Steam Deck yet? Torn on whether to get it to play on the go or for Xbox so I can play on my 4k TV. If it runs well deck may be the way to go since I've been traveling a lot lately

Sega will "aggressively" focus on PC ports after Steam strength during lockdown | GamesIndustry.biz

Capcom wants PC to be its main platform for games in the future | PC Gamer

Sony confirms it bought a PC port specialist studio “to help with” PC ports | PCGamesN

You have a future at CNN.

I’m looking for a cheap hogwarts steam key, it’s 51$ on gmg is that the cheapest? Any place with a $15 coupon code off 60 or some such?

bread's done
Back