Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
I’m looking for a cheap hogwarts steam key, it’s 51$ on gmg is that the cheapest? Any place with a $15 coupon code off 60 or some such?
I'd wait until the game is fixed and playable on PC first before investing any money into it.

My rule of thumb with ANY new game, no matter what console it's on, is to wait six months for bug fixes and QoL updates.

I'd wait until the game is fixed and playable on PC first before investing any money into it.

My rule of thumb with ANY new game, no matter what console it's on, is to wait six months for bug fixes and QoL updates.
As far as Im aware its working now. Im running on a 5800X, 32GB Ram and 3070 and get 70-90 on High (No RT, No DLSS). I did make one change by going into Exploit Protection in Windows and Overriding Control Flow Guard (CFG) to Off and that semed to flix the sudden dips to 20 FPS i was experiencing.

Im currently up to the Winter Semester and havent had anymore issues.

As far as Im aware its working now. Im running on a 5800X, 32GB Ram and 3070 and get 70-90 on High (No RT, No DLSS). I did make one change by going into Exploit Protection in Windows and Overriding Control Flow Guard (CFG) to Off and that semed to flix the sudden dips to 20 FPS i was experiencing.

has there been several patches since launch? I was reading about hogwarts and wild hearts being miserable PC ports. I’m very new back into PC gaming and everything I’ve read so far regarding new/launch titles hasn’t been good, particularly compared to PS5. It makes me not want to buy any title on PC that is available on console really, at least new.

Regarding your build, did you do it yourself? Mine is very similar to yours.

has there been several patches since launch? I was reading about hogwarts and wild hearts being miserable PC ports. I’m very new back into PC gaming and everything I’ve read so far regarding new/launch titles hasn’t been good, particularly compared to PS5. It makes me not want to buy any title on PC that is available on console really, at least new.

I dont know if there has been patches as I let Steam auto update in the background so the games patch automatically. I usually assume most games are built for consoles and expect PC ports arent going to be great. Especially with WIndows 11 and its many myrid of stupid settings that affect gaming performance, like the exploit protection in this case,

Yeah, I build my own PCs.

Currently my setup is:

Case: Hyte Y60
Mobo: Asus ROG Strix B550-E

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X

Cooler: Mastercooler 280mm AIO Mirror

GPU MSI Geforce 3070
RAM: 32GB (2x16) 3200MT Kit OLOy (I woulda went with a faster freq kit but I snagged this for super cheap on a Newegg misprice before they corrected it)
SSD: 2 TB Crucial P5 4x4 NVME and a 2 TB WD Black NVME
Monitors: 32 inch Gigabye1440p 165mhz Curved, 2 x 27 inch Gigabyte 1440p 144mhz[attachment=37775:pXL_20221102_212704291.jpg]

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont know if there has been patches as I let Steam auto update in the background so the games patch automatically. I usually assume most games are built for consoles and expect PC ports arent going to be great. Especially with WIndows 11 and its many myrid of stupid settings that affect gaming performance, like the exploit protection in this case,

Yeah, I build my own PCs.

Currently my setup is:

Mobo: Asus ROG Strix B550-E

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X

Cooler: Mastercooler 280mm AIO Mirror

GPU MSI Geforce 3070
RAM: 32GB (2x16) 3200MT Kit OLOy (I woulda went with a faster freq kit but I snagged this for super cheap on a Newegg misprice before they corrected it)
SSD: 2 TB Crucial P5 4x4 NVME and a 2 TB WD Black NVME
Monitors: 32 inch Gigabye1440p 165mhz Curved, 2 x 27 inch Gigabyte 1440p 144mhz
attachicon.gif
PXL_20221102_212704291.jpg
that is rad! Always liked that case though I am not a fan of the sideways GPU… call me old school I guess. Wouldn’t the fans flowing sideways like that create a bad airflow vortex?

I bought a pre-built Asus strix in December. Walmart clearance for $489. Specs were:

Motherboard: Asus Prime B550-K

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5700G

GPU: NVIDIA Phoenix GTX 3060 12GB

RAM: SK Hynix 16GB (8x2) DDR4-3200

HD: WD 256GB NVMe Gen3 2,400mb/s

I say were as I did some small upgrades. Everyone said my case has horrible airflow. I didn’t want to rebuild the whole thing so I upgraded the rear fan and added a thermaltake assassin 120 SE air cooler. That lowered the CPU from 50-75c down to 35-55c. Then up just recently upgraded the CPU to a 5950x, a 2TB western digital 850x gen4 nvme, and doubled the RAM to 32gb.

For now I’m done with upgrades so I can make sure I truly want to be back into PC gaming. Down the road upgrades will be a case like yours, 3600mhz cs14 or cs16 RAM, and a higher end GPU. Otherwise I believe my current build is pretty solid. I only went with a new CPU as the 5700G is apparently a bottleneck only allowing PCI gen3 support.

there has been a patch or 2, for me it ran mostly fine on launch, occasional weird fps slowdown during some cutscenes or when entering/exiting buildings as it loaded new shaders in the background but nothing game breaking. Between the patches and some fixes from reddit (some of which are rumored to be in the first patch anyway, the one that isnt is manually upgrading the dlss to version 3.1.1 yourself) it plays flawlessly for me now. There have been way way worse ports than hogwarts, some reviews/blogs/videos/etc like to over exaggerate things for click bait, but of course ymmv, what plays fine for one person may hit some weird hiccup for someone else

Also dont play with RT enabled or you're gonna have a bad time. It looks worse than the non-RT modes while still doing what RT gonna do and tank your performance

Companies say stuff all the time, show me the actual results.
Sony bought a studio for the sole purpose of PC ports. Many of Sega's biggest IPs are PC-first, e.g., Total War. It's much, much easier to name the Japanese games that don't come to PC now: Valis, Wonder Boy Collection, and literally a handful of others. The results are pretty much everywhere you look.

edit: I completely understand and agree with being irritated with half-assed ports missing features like ultrawide support, but your statement is outdated.

There are still Japanese publishers that put out broken ports. Square Enix is an example of this. Star Ocean The Divine Force has pretty bad stuttering issues which the PS5 version doesn't have. Valkyrie Elysium has minor stuttering but broken DLSS support (if you use anything past the Low setting it straight up doesn't doesn't do anything except give far worse framerate). Those are the only recent two I've looked into lately (and I've personally played Valkyrie Elysium) but I remember Legend of Mana having stuttering that was never fixed and Square Enix is pretty inconsistent with ports in general and doesn't always support them for long

There are still Japanese publishers that put out broken ports. Square Enix is an example of this. Star Ocean The Divine Force has pretty bad stuttering issues which the PS5 version doesn't have. Valkyrie Elysium has minor stuttering but broken DLSS support (if you use anything past the Low setting it straight up doesn't doesn't do anything except give far worse framerate). Those are the only recent two I've looked into lately (and I've personally played Valkyrie Elysium) but I remember Legend of Mana having stuttering that was never fixed and Square Enix is pretty inconsistent with ports in general and doesn't always support them for long
So I’m curious as a newcomer to modern PC gaming. Do these ‘bad ports’ get fixed in a timely manner?

I’m nearly at 40 years old and my rule of thumb with modern games is don’t touch any new release for at least 6 months anymore. I no longer am hyped up for ANY game at launch.

I’ve had way too many games ruined with bad bugs or issues with quality that were fixed months later. Even little QoL updates that make the gameplay more fun. I’ve read so many times from others “I wish I didn’t beat X game as it would have been much more enjoyable with the new updates”.

that is rad! Always liked that case though I am not a fan of the sideways GPU… call me old school I guess. Wouldn’t the fans flowing sideways like that create a bad airflow vortex?

I bought a pre-built Asus strix in December. Walmart clearance for $489. Specs were:

Motherboard: Asus Prime B550-K

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5700G

GPU: NVIDIA Phoenix GTX 3060 12GB

RAM: SK Hynix 16GB (8x2) DDR4-3200

HD: WD 256GB NVMe Gen3 2,400mb/s

I say were as I did some small upgrades. Everyone said my case has horrible airflow. I didn’t want to rebuild the whole thing so I upgraded the rear fan and added a thermaltake assassin 120 SE air cooler. That lowered the CPU from 50-75c down to 35-55c. Then up just recently upgraded the CPU to a 5950x, a 2TB western digital 850x gen4 nvme, and doubled the RAM to 32gb.

For now I’m done with upgrades so I can make sure I truly want to be back into PC gaming. Down the road upgrades will be a case like yours, 3600mhz cs14 or cs16 RAM, and a higher end GPU. Otherwise I believe my current build is pretty solid. I only went with a new CPU as the 5700G is apparently a bottleneck only allowing PCI gen3 support.
That was a great deal. GPU alone is $320-375 depending on the card still. CPU alone is $175. Basically got the case, ram, mobo, ssd, psu for free.

So I’m curious as a newcomer to modern PC gaming. Do these ‘bad ports’ get fixed in a timely manner?

I’m nearly at 40 years old and my rule of thumb with modern games is don’t touch any new release for at least 6 months anymore. I no longer am hyped up for ANY game at launch.

I’ve had way too many games ruined with bad bugs or issues with quality that were fixed months later. Even little QoL updates that make the gameplay more fun. I’ve read so many times from others “I wish I didn’t beat X game as it would have been much more enjoyable with the new updates”.
It took Square-Enix ages to update the Chrono Trigger PC port to not be ugly as sin, and worth buying on the PC. I think FFXIII-2 had a bug on PC that crashed my friends game at the same time every time. Fans have made fixes to these crashes for this game, but he played it ages ago. A lot of times they never fix it or it takes a while. I wouldn't bet on it for their older games, and their newer stuff probably gets fixed more slowly.

That was a great deal. GPU alone is $320-375 depending on the card still. CPU alone is $175. Basically got the case, ram, mobo, ssd, psu for free.
Yeah it was! I actually found another one last week for the same price and almost bought it. I didn’t though and told a few friends and co workers in case they wanted it.

I do feel… silly buying a new 5950x CPU already for it. Really what was bothering me was the stock 5700G CPU was a pci gen 3 bottleneck and I was planning on buying a gen4 nvme so I just upgraded both.

Would you have a suggestion on where to sell the factory heatsink and 5700G CPU besides eBay? Or should I just keep that for a future small form factory build?

Sony bought a studio for the sole purpose of PC ports. Many of Sega's biggest IPs are PC-first, e.g., Total War. It's much, much easier to name the Japanese games that don't come to PC now: Valis, Wonder Boy Collection, and literally a handful of others. The results are pretty much everywhere you look.
Again, not seeing it. Sony’s not a really a Japanese publisher (they moved their headquarters to California a while ago, and virtually every first party development team they’ve ever had has been western), and Sega is one of the oddball exceptions that’s been paying attention to PC gaming since the 90s (not to mention they’ve always had a strong western development arm, themselves), and even then they still cling to measures a lot of western publishers (granted, not all) have forgone (like Denuvo), demonstrating an inherent distrust of the platform. More traditional Japanese pubs like Capcom, Konami, Bandai Namco, Square Enix, and Koei Tecmo still treat the PC space as a secondary or tertiary concern, with ports coming late, buggy, and frequently never getting patches (or getting them much later than their console equivalents), not even mentioning the complete lack of effort to fit in with traditional PC gaming options (with FPS typically capped, few resolution options, etc.). They’re certainly paying more attention to the PC space than they used to, but they used to pay virtually no attention to PC at all, so that’s not necessarily saying that much. I grant they’ll probably continue to embrace PC gaming more, at least for the easily foreseeable future, but acting like PC gaming is currently a priority for Japanese publishers in general because of Sega’s example seems a bit premature.

When it comes to Square Enix ports it's super inconsistent. Star Ocean has been getting updates (last one was in December), but they haven't fixed the stuttering. Valkyrie Elysium hasn't gotten any updates AFAIK. I'm kinda doubting they'll fix DLSS support because it does technically work, but only on the lowest setting. The most infamous fuck up that I can remember is when they released Nier Automata. Not only did they not fix anything for years, but it had some serious issues that the community ended up fixing. It took SE years to officially fix it and that was probably only because they put a new version up on gamepass and got backlash for having an updated PC version on there but not steam. They aren't quite as bad as they used to be but they're still known for halfassing ports.

On another note, I'm glad NISA learned from their mistakes. When Ys VIII came out, the port was a disaster for a while until they hired Durante to fix it for them. It then became the best way to experience the game and all Falcom ports after that have been excellent (I believe cuz Durante's team works on them?). Sometimes Japanese publishers learn, sometimes they don't. But in NISA's case I have no hesitation buying any Falcom games anymore because they're very well optimized.

When it comes to Square Enix ports it's super inconsistent. Star Ocean has been getting updates (last one was in December), but they haven't fixed the stuttering. Valkyrie Elysium hasn't gotten any updates AFAIK. I'm kinda doubting they'll fix DLSS support because it does technically work, but only on the lowest setting. The most infamous fuck up that I can remember is when they released Nier Automata. Not only did they not fix anything for years, but it had some serious issues that the community ended up fixing. It took SE years to officially fix it and that was probably only because they put a new version up on gamepass and got backlash for having an updated PC version on there but not steam. They aren't quite as bad as they used to be but they're still known for halfassing ports.

On another note, I'm glad NISA learned from their mistakes. When Ys VIII came out, the port was a disaster for a while until they hired Durante to fix it for them. It then became the best way to experience the game and all Falcom ports after that have been excellent (I believe cuz Durante's team works on them?). Sometimes Japanese publishers learn, sometimes they don't. But in NISA's case I have no hesitation buying any Falcom games anymore because they're very well optimized.
I was actually surprised how well Ys IX: Monstrum Nox played even on Amazon Luna.
(I played it during the month it was free.)

Again, not seeing it. Sony’s not a really a Japanese publisher (they moved their headquarters to California a while ago, and virtually every first party development team they’ve ever had has been western), and Sega is one of the oddball exceptions that’s been paying attention to PC gaming since the 90s (not to mention they’ve always had a strong western development arm, themselves), and even then they still cling to measures a lot of western publishers (granted, not all) have forgone (like Denuvo), demonstrating an inherent distrust of the platform. More traditional Japanese pubs like Capcom, Konami, Bandai Namco, Square Enix, and Koei Tecmo still treat the PC space as a secondary or tertiary concern, with ports coming late, buggy, and frequently never getting patches (or getting them much later than their console equivalents), not even mentioning the complete lack of effort to fit in with traditional PC gaming options (with FPS typically capped, few resolution options, etc.). They’re certainly paying more attention to the PC space than they used to, but they used to pay virtually no attention to PC at all, so that’s not necessarily saying that much. I grant they’ll probably continue to embrace PC gaming more, at least for the easily foreseeable future, but acting like PC gaming is currently a priority for Japanese publishers in general because of Sega’s example seems a bit premature.
for bamco it is definitely 50/50. The tales of series got a really bad release in symphonia for pc. But it was also free with zesty so you get what you pay for. But zesty was also buggy as all get out. Their sales have been stronger on pc than consoles though at least outside japan. Though sales are up across the board since they finally stopped idiotically developing solely for sony systems and went multiplat.

Yeah I’m playing on pc it’s very good.

Yeah it was! I actually found another one last week for the same price and almost bought it. I didn’t though and told a few friends and co workers in case they wanted it.

I do feel… silly buying a new 5950x CPU already for it. Really what was bothering me was the stock 5700G CPU was a pci gen 3 bottleneck and I was planning on buying a gen4 nvme so I just upgraded both.

Would you have a suggestion on where to sell the factory heatsink and 5700G CPU besides eBay? Or should I just keep that for a future small form factory build?
Dunno on selling stuff. FB pages or craigslist maybe? Whatever is most popular in your area. 5700g is pretty good for a SFF build with the built in video. If its for a video streaming build, double check what programs you would use as I remember most favoring intel and nvidia gpu's though.

Currently my setup is:

Wife bought a themed version of this case. It's part of why I'm waiting for the lower TDP stuff, because I really don't want to water cool it.

Hopefully a i5-13500 and 4060 Ti will run cool enough air cooled.

Wife bought a themed version of this case. It's part of why I'm waiting for the lower TDP stuff, because I really don't want to water cool it.

Hopefully a i5-13500 and 4060 Ti will run cool enough air cooled.
The airflow isnt that bad. I replaced the 2 underside fans with Noctua 140mm pushing up, I have the 2 140mm AIO in a pulling in config on the backside, and then 4 exhausts, the back fan and 3 on the top pushing air out.

As long as you populate all the fan spots even without an AIO CPU cooler I wouldnt expect temps to suffer to much.

Im thinking of getting the Screen addon for the corner glass if I can get it discounted.

https://hyte.com/store/lcd-kit?v=136

Per the Steam player count it looks like not many people are giving Returnal a chance. Wouldn't be surprised to see it go on sale very soon and I highly recommend picking it up asap.

I've been playing Hogwarts since the early play period when all the wailing Cassandras were saying I'd get 20fps and the game ran fine for me.  I was getting ~150fps with no notable stutter or delays (no 3s waits for a door to open, etc).  This was with an i7-13700k, 3080 ti and 32GB of DDR5 so I'm above the curve but, annoyingly, most of the doom articles didn't specify which systems they were using.  Of course, with system variances, single performance anecdotes don't mean much -- I don't doubt that people claiming to have bad performance have bad performance.  It's just not universal.

The game itself I'm enjoying quite a bit. I give zero shits about Harry Potter, read none of the books and only saw the final movie because my wife made me take my kid. Given that it was the final 5% of a decade long tale, I didn't get a lot out of it.  But the game is a fun jaunt through a very magical world with an overlay of cheery optimism and whimsy (despite the plot) which is a welcome change from the usual grimdark fantasy adventure realm.  My trade off for not noticing the Easter Eggs and lore rewards is also not worrying that some potion/spell is different, why we don't get animal companions or "Harry Potter didn't kill people!".  

There's plenty to criticize on paper: shallow enemy pool, NPCs who only react to you with an annoyed grunt if you body slam them, a loot system of a minor stat upgrades per piece, etc.  But, when I'm actually playing it, I'm engaged and having fun and still feeling charmed.  It's greater than the sum of its parts and, while anyone could be valid in criticizing it, I think its 93% on Steam is well earned.

GameStop:

MSI GF65 Gaming Laptop = $720

Specs = 144Hz; 15.6-in screen; FHD; i5-10500H; 6gb RTX3060 (looks like it might be 75W?); 16GB RAM; 512GB SSD; Windows 10
75w is really bad. Ideally anyone getting a 3060 in a laptop should be looking for one that's 140-150w which is double that. Not worth it imo, I also don't think I'd buy a laptop from GameStop

I've been playing Hogwarts since the early play period when all the wailing Cassandras were saying I'd get 20fps and the game ran fine for me. I was getting ~150fps with no notable stutter or delays (no 3s waits for a door to open, etc). This was with an i7-13700k, 3080 ti and 32GB of DDR5 so I'm above the curve but, annoyingly, most of the doom articles didn't specify which systems they were using. Of course, with system variances, single performance anecdotes don't mean much -- I don't doubt that people claiming to have bad performance have bad performance. It's just not universal.

The game itself I'm enjoying quite a bit. I give zero shits about Harry Potter, read none of the books and only saw the final movie because my wife made me take my kid. Given that it was the final 5% of a decade long tale, I didn't get a lot out of it. But the game is a fun jaunt through a very magical world with an overlay of cheery optimism and whimsy (despite the plot) which is a welcome change from the usual grimdark fantasy adventure realm. My trade off for not noticing the Easter Eggs and lore rewards is also not worrying that some potion/spell is different, why we don't get animal companions or "Harry Potter didn't kill people!".

There's plenty to criticize on paper: shallow enemy pool, NPCs who only react to you with an annoyed grunt if you body slam them, a loot system of a minor stat upgrades per piece, etc. But, when I'm actually playing it, I'm engaged and having fun and still feeling charmed. It's greater than the sum of its parts and, while anyone could be valid in criticizing it, I think its 93% on Steam is well earned.
Thanks for this little write up. I've never read or watched Harry Potter so my interest in this game has been close to zero. Might have to check it out when it gets a sale.

Thanks for this little write up. I've never read or watched Harry Potter so my interest in this game has been close to zero. Might have to check it out when it gets a sale.
I think waiting for a sale is a fine choice. Single player so it'll still be the same game when you get around to buying it. And, although there's some plot spoilers floating around, the real experience is in the world itself and not the what-happens-to-who bits.

I beat Hogwarts Legacy last night. Overall the game is charming, Im also a big Potter fan. But the game itself stands on its own.

I think the combat is what pushed it over the edge for me. Its not always fluid and there's issues, but when you do timings correct or use the right spells and take out a group with some big spells its like DMC or Bayonetta where it just flows together and looks spectacular.

As Syntax said, it doesnt really shine but when all put together it makes a good fun entertaining experience.

I'm admittedly not a fan of laptops for gaming but a $1000 gaming laptop sounds like an oxymoron to me.
I dunno about that. [shrug]

My Gigabyte laptop (specs = R5 5600H; 16GB RAM; 1TB SSD; 6gb RTX 3060 at 130W; W11) runs a lot of newer and modern stuff like a champ.

Days Gone at 1080p maxed-out runs like gold at 50-60fps no problem. RE Village, HB Senua's Sacrifice, and The Ascent also ran flawless at 1080p @ Medium or better with 50-60fps and RT On with DLSS On.

And if this thing (ROG laptop with R9 & 6800 Strix laptop, which has 3070m-3080m performance level) ever hits $1100 again (or eve less) - yeah, it'd be a steal:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-rog-strix-g15-advantage-edition-15-6-qhd-gaming-laptop-amd-ryzen-9-5980hx-16gb-memory-radeonrx-6800m-512gb-ssd/6486485.p?skuId=6486485

EDIT:

Gaming laptops can be great when travelling, mobile, and not at home [i.e. I used my Acer Nitro insanely back when I used to visit my sister's house and grandmother's house a lot] - but the lack of upgrading and part-swapping (namely for GPU and CPU) really bites. I eat, sleep and drink games - so yeah, can be quite useful.

But if you just need something when at home that'll be stationary and you got plenty of space & want upgrade paths and upgrade room inside the PC, it's almost impossible to beat a good desktop. [shrug]

Denuvo in Hogwarts Legacy has already been cracked

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W_4GwL8zN8A

From that video, removing Denuvo seems to increase the average frame rate by about 20-30%. You can install performance mods on Nexus to get even better frame rates

So surely since it's been cracked, WB will patch out Denuvo, so paying customers don't have to be punished with worse performance. Right?????

From that video, removing Denuvo seems to increase the average frame rate by about 20-30%. You can install performance mods on Nexus to get even better frame rates

So surely since it's been cracked, WB will patch out Denuvo, so paying customers don't have to be punished with worse performance. Right?????
lmao-crying-laughing.gif

Any day now, I'm sure!

LOL @ this all.

They (WB) still ain't had removed Denuvo from Mad Max Steam-version, so I'd doubt it. [shrug]

No Denuvo on the Origin or GOG versions though for Mad Max.

They gotta get that double-dip $, you know? ;)

Bloodborne PC port rumors about its cancellation.

Rumor is Bloodborne PC port of this got cancelled, for now:

-> https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2023/02/24/bloodborne-pc-port-canceled-horizon-zero-dawn-launch/

Notes:

- Rumor is PC port of Bloodborne got cancelled.

- Namely, that's b/c Virtous' PC port of Horizon: ZD to PC wasn't that hot, having issues on Day 1 for its Steam launch.

- Literally, Sony had to call in both Guerilla (OG H:ZD dev's for PS4) and Nixxes (PC port experts) to both fix it up.

- Another rumor is: if someone's going to do a Bloodborne PC port, it'll probably be From Software...

- ...But that might not be anytime soon, given that From Software's busy now with Armored Core 6.

I'd be happy with a 60 fps / improved textures remaster/port. It's not janky enough like Demon's Souls to need a full remake.

If there is any truth to that rumor I’d say that it is good news. Seems to me that if Sony is determined to bring Bloodborne to PC they wouldn’t just change their minds because that one studio sucks. There are plenty of other studios out there and Elden Ring has sold 20 million freaking copies so might as well strike while the iron is hot. Taking the project away from a shit studio would indicate that they care enough to put out a good product, so again, if there’s any truth to this I’m sure they will move forward with a different team.

Or maybe not!

My thoughts on Atomic Heart after a few hours from Gamepass after going around in the first major open world area.

First of all this will be compared to Bioshock, and while it's similar with powers similar to plasmids and tonics, it feels more like Dead Island. It takes place in a timeline where Russia won World War 2 and became a knowledge superpower. Things eventually go wrong and you as an annoyingly bad dialogue soldier are sent it to find people and fix things.

This game starts out pretty great and gives a good showing at the beginning. Once the action gets started then many cracks show. It is kind of clunky in combat and also a bit repetitive after a while, but I'll come back to it. Pretty much to dodge you have to use a button and it feels very weighty in a more negative way. You just feel slow and I don't even know if there is a proper run button. The controls themselves are OK, but I wouldn't see this playing extremely well with the controller. It feels like a mouse and keyboard game. Also I need to mention stealth which is almost nonexistent, as the enemies can see you from a good distance from you. Don't bother with it, as you get an annoying QTE when you do those kills anyway, which wastes a lot of time.

The graphics are quite good IMHO and the sound is relatively good. The environment and gun sounds are pretty solid. The voices are not bad in English honestly, but the dialogue is freakin' horrible. Our main character is an edgy try hard and their is a horny upgrade machine. The glove is voiced as well and banters with the main character, which is what many games do nowadays. I like the glove honestly, but our main character is so badly written. The story itself is kind of interesting, but it is so over the top and feels more like a Saints Row game with worse comedy.

One thing no other reviewers are going to say is how repetitive it all feels after a while. This is the main reason I dropped this game. You have to grind out many materials from enemies/lots of items in objects/etc... The upgrades start reasonably costed but become more and more expensive. You need to build weapons and upgrades as well, so you'll be stuck with guns/weapons you have from the beginning because the others cost so much. The enemy variety is very low and you'll fight a million of the white robot mustache man. Frankly I got tired of the loop and the side dungeons you can take on later just made me want to quit more. They're very puzzly, like parts of this game, and they just are slow and clunky with your at times bad movement.

I wanted to really like this game, but it became another repetitive grind fest of which I try to stay away from nowadays. It isn't anywhere close to a masterpiece, although I do feel it was going for some original things. It's just a flawed eventually open world game with clunky controls, a terrible main character, and an okay story grindfest. I don't see how this was getting so many great reviews, but it's a decent first game from the company. Try it out if you have Gamepass and want a Dead Island feeling game before that comes out mixed with some Bioshock. 6.5/10

I'm playing Atomic Heart some too. I really like the designs and environment, and I'm pleasantly surprised at how good it looks on the Series S. But, I'm finding the actual gameplay to be kind of tedious and I wish P-3, Charles and Nora had about 20% of the dialogue they have as I just keep wishing they'd shut the hell up. I'm thinking of putting it down for now and waiting to see if there are any community patches and probably switch to PC since I think I'd rather play with mouse and keyboard.

bread's done
Back