Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
I guess this is a valid question, for those w/ older hardware and might wanna get away from Windows or dual-boot Linux & old-Windows:

What versions and/or distro of Linux would work on older hardware and also be able to run modern-versions of Steam?

Last edited by a moderator:
Valve did the exact same thing with Windows XP years ago.  Windows 7 and 8.1 are severely outdated OS's (W7 is 14 years old, and W8.1 is 10 years old).  Microsoft is no longer supporting those OS's with security updates anymore so why should Valve have to keep making sure Steam is updated to be compatible with them too?

I loved Windows 7, but it's time to move on.  Even Windows 10 is almost 8 years old at this point.

I do need to get my wife to install Steam on her new (almost 3 yrs old now) computer that we just powered up about 6 months ago, so she can swing her games off of her WIn7 PC.

Of course...You *could* just disable Steam updates, or once it is no longer supported, just keep the last supported version and switch to offline mode...

Time for people who can't/don't want to update to Win10/11 to learn to use steamcmd to get games. https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SteamCMD

I don't think it works for games that use steamdrm, but there are other things for that.

Of course...You *could* just disable Steam updates, or once it is no longer supported, just keep the last supported version and switch to offline mode...
I did that when they did the library redesign. It worked for a couple years I think.

EDIT:

Alwa's Awakening free on GOG.

https://www.gog.com/#giveaway

Direct Link to add to account

https://www.gog.com/giveaway/claim

The Last of Us: Part 1 - PC Port (Steam) is sitting at "Mostly Negative":
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1888930/The_Last_of_Us_Part_I/

No surprise w/ Iron Galaxy (who did the horrible Batman Arkham Knight PC port), as it sounds like that it's a mess.
Also, Iron Galaxy's name just got removed as a listed Developer from Steam Page.

Check Steam-Reviews & Forums - Medium settings wants 8gb VRAM; Shaders taking 30m to 1 hour to load, crashes; and other madness.

EDIT(S):
Eurogamer on the PC Port - https://www.eurogamer.net/the-last-of-us-part-1s-long-awaited-pc-port-isnt-going-down-well-on-steam
Video Games Chronicle on it - https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/the-last-of-us-pc-has-been-heavily-criticised-on-release-day-for-poor-performance/

DreamCast Guy on how poor the TLOU Part 1 PC port is on the Steam Deck:
https://youtu.be/3NwggeryZnA

YongYea on the tons of issues PC gamers faced w/ TLOU Part 1 PC port:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD60rtw9FJc

That's a bummer. They have Nixxes now, one of the better developers of PC ports. Why would they hire Iron Galaxy, one of the most infamously bad developers of PC ports, to handle the first game in their flagship franchise?

I dunno why anyone would hire Iron Galaxy...unless they are trying to save $ on the development and let Iron do a cheap port; and they (Sony & Naughty Dog) want to try to LOSE money once word gets around that the PC port's abysmal.

I wonder if Nixxes was busy porting something else for Sony?

Still, if Nixxes was busy, why didn't Sony just say hire QLOC?

That's a bummer. They have Nixxes now, one of the better developers of PC ports. Why would they hire Iron Galaxy, one of the most infamously bad developers of PC ports, to handle the first game in their flagship franchise?
Probably some combination of the following words: cost, fraction, of the, do it, we'll, for a.

I'm shocked, shocked I say! Well, not really. Definately yet another game spelling the death knell for 8GB of video ram at 1440p (possibly even 1080p).

I'm shocked, shocked I say! Well, not really. Definately yet another game spelling the death knell for 8GB of video ram at 1440p (possibly even 1080p).
I'm still rocking my 6GB GTX 1060 - Good thing I have a Steam Deck to get me past some hardware bottlenecks, until I can find a decently priced 30xx or 40xx...:D

The other conversation about Steam and W7 sunset. If the machine is running an AMD gpu SteamOS (linux) is an option. The desktop experience isnt so bad. Nvidia gpu support isnt great though. But YMMV ince its technically not supported outside of Steam Deck. Also what hardware is running on 7 that cant handle10, im confused

The other conversation about Steam and W7 sunset. If the machine is running an AMD gpu SteamOS (linux) is an option. The desktop experience isnt so bad. Nvidia gpu support isnt great though. But YMMV ince its technically not supported outside of Steam Deck. Also what hardware is running on 7 that cant handle10, im confused
My old desktop (i7 950; 16 GB RAM; GTX 970; lots of 7200rpm HDD's) just would not take W10 no matter what; would not do the upgrade. So, that one's stuck on W7 x64, as I'm too lazy to do a reinstall of W7, especially w/ so many games that are on boot OS drive.

Of course, my good desktop is fine and on W10 - i7 10700KF; 16 GB RAM; multiple SSD's; 8gb RTX 3070; etc.

At that point - might need to dual-install Linux or (better yet) just move games/re-download games onto my newer rigs, for the games that'll work on W10/11.

Meanwhile - my Acer laptop (with 960m 4gb VRAM GPU) went from W8 to W10 a long time ago all fine; my new laptop came with W11 (with 6gb RTX 3060m), and other cheap laptops I have all got W10.

None of this is the end of the world for me - but this could be for others who are way behind the times, ain't got $ to upgrade, don't have the best Internet, etc etc.

EDIT - Given all of this...hmmm, I wonder how many might just go ahead and buy a Steam Deck, as that could solve a lot of problems w/ older games...if they'll work on Linux/SteamOS.

My old desktop (i7 950; 16 GB RAM; GTX 970; lots of 7200rpm HDD's) just would not take W10 no matter what; would not do the upgrade. So, that one's stuck on W7 x64, as I'm too lazy to do a reinstall of W7, especially w/ so many games that are on boot OS drive.
That's odd. I managed to upgrade an old i3-530 socketed into a stupid Dell Inspiron 580s mobo to W10. Even ran W10 on a Surface 3 (non-Pro) with a quad core Atom.

That's odd. I managed to upgrade an old i3-530 socketed into a stupid Dell Inspiron 580s mobo to W10. Even ran W10 on a Surface 3 (non-Pro) with a quad core Atom.
Same. I have that same Surface running the newest version of Win10 right now. Still use it every once in a while when I need an ultra light lappy.

It did not like OnlineArmor was installed. Even after uninstalling it, it would not do it. Probably were remnants of it remaining, I'd bet.

Ouch. I saw the price mistake but once I saw the requirement to convert dollars into razer currency, I was out. The possibility of being stuck with the razer currency after possible cancelation or revoking was too real.

Ouch. I saw the price mistake but once I saw the requirement to convert dollars into razer currency, I was out. The possibility of being stuck with the razer currency after possible cancelation or revoking was too real.
Yeah, keys got revoked lol. I'm glad I missed the price mistake now. Don't wanna deal with getting a refund from Razer

I got this and they revoked my key for the game just now.
Me too what a dirty move!

Filed a support ticket, I even played 10 minutes of Village but already closed it out.

They made me buy their garbage currency too, I asked for a refund or alternatively, ideally, a valid license.

Cant believe that!

Razer shut down their game store ages ago. Not sure why they're selling games again.
Yeah, that gimmick died on them pretty quickly. Right up there with how quickly Greenmangaming dropped Playfire.
Groupees coins are still probably the dumbest and most scam-y of all the various gimmicks.

Indiegala Happy Hours were just too much work trying to bother arranging splits or having mountains of keys pile up from the gift copies people flaked on paying for.

Live A Live, formerly a Switch exclusive is coming to PC on April 27. Steam page is up.

Last edited:
Only reason I held off on Live A Live on switch was because there weren't any good sales.. Probably because the switch version is published by Nintendo. I'd rather get it on steam anyway

Only reason I held off on Live A Live on switch was because there weren't any good sales.. Probably because the switch version is published by Nintendo. I'd rather get it on steam anyway
The Steam Deck is making me realize I am wasting money buying games on the Switch. I am not a huge Nintendo fanboy but bought the console for the convenience of portability to play Indie Steam games that get ported as well as the occasional interesting Nintendo exclusives (Zelda and Fire Emblem games mostly). I don't pay for the Nintendo Online features (I don't play online games on Switch) so my save games are not backed up remotely.

The Steam Deck allows me to play these Indie games with free cloud save backup and forward compatibility (no need to worry about "eshops" closing down to force me to rebuy games). We all understand how easy it can be to play Switch exclusives via emulation on the Deck now as well. Maybe this balance will shift back to Nintendo once they release a new system.

The Steam Deck is making me realize I am wasting money buying games on the Switch. I am not a huge Nintendo fanboy but bought the console for the convenience of portability to play Indie Steam games that get ported as well as the occasional interesting Nintendo exclusives (Zelda and Fire Emblem games mostly). I don't pay for the Nintendo Online features (I don't play online games on Switch) so my save games are not backed up remotely.

The Steam Deck allows me to play these Indie games with free cloud save backup and forward compatibility (no need to worry about "eshops" closing down to force me to rebuy games). We all understand how easy it can be to play Switch exclusives via emulation on the Deck now as well. Maybe this balance will shift back to Nintendo once they release a new system.
There's that and Nintendo published games hardly ever get sales, or if they do it's not a big discount. Live a Live is already at a historical low on GMG and it's not even released yet on PC (32% off for XP members).

I usually only buy first party games on Switch, or games that are exclusive.. but I have bought a couple of Square Enix games that were temporary exclusives and double dipped when they came to steam. I still think it's worth owning a switch for the first party stuff, but indie stuff is a lot more affordable on steam

There's that and Nintendo published games hardly ever get sales, or if they do it's not a big discount. Live a Live is already at a historical low on GMG and it's not even released yet on PC (32% off for XP members).

I usually only buy first party games on Switch, or games that are exclusive.. but I have bought a couple of Square Enix games that were temporary exclusives and double dipped when they came to steam. I still think it's worth owning a switch for the first party stuff, but indie stuff is a lot more affordable on steam
A lot of it just balancing things out, and remembering that you can "test drive" a lot of stuff on Gamepass first.
I realized I was doing that enough that it was worth grabbing a Series S as a Gamepass box. (Promo prices helped too.)
I'm happy enough to have a Switch for a few first party games a year (as well as the few stray games that only end up on it.)
The one that actually currently gives me pause is if I should buy a PS5, considering how Sony's big stuff is ending up on Steam.

That said, unless there's a game I really want to play RIGHT NOW, I pretty much don't buy console games except in Q4 when all the stores are throwing everything on some sort of discount and then additionally having another discount on top of that.

Looks like Razer is refunding people in Razer gold
SOe5qgspJ6M4diD4.gif

bread's done
Back