Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
A slideshow reel from a 2021 internal Sega presentation leaked. It shows footage of a Persona 3 remake(!!!), footage of a cut boss fight from Sonic Frontiers that was previously only seen in an artbook, and a new Jet Set Radio game(!!!)

https://twitter.com/avtogamenoyami/status/1644990912328798208

Sega and Atlus have been good lately with being multiplatform. Really hope these come to Steam at launch, if they're real of course. But if they're fake then they're very convincing fakes

Last edited by a moderator:
A slideshow reel from a 2021 internal Sega presentation leaked. It shows footage of a Persona 3 remake(!!!), footage of a cut boss fight from Sonic Frontiers that was previously only seen in an artbook, and a new Jet Set Radio game(!!!)

https://twitter.com/avtogamenoyami/status/1644990912328798208

Sega and Atlus have been good lately with being multiplatform. Really hope these come to Steam at launch, if they're real of course. But if they're fake then they're very convincing fakes
That Yukari looks off but otherwise it definitely looks neat. Assuming that even is Yukari. Like someone in the comments said it could be for the phone thing.

That Yukari looks off but otherwise it definitely looks neat. Assuming that even is Yukari. Like someone in the comments said it could be for the phone thing.
It's possible, but Gematsu (who I consider a highly reputable outlet) has said they're aware of a Persona 3 remake being in development for years:

https://www.gematsu.com/2023/04/rumor-persona-3-remake-and-new-jet-set-radio-game-footage-appears-online

"While we cannot verify the footage itself, Gematsu understands that a Persona 3 remake has been in development at ATLUS for several years."

Someone in the comments even asked to clarify:

Uhh, so, Sal is saying that he personally acquired/was told this information or he's just reporting on online posts or something?

First one.

It's definitely Yukari, and not the exact character model from the dancing games, so it's not just a mod someone made. Her lack of an evoker and the kinda jank animation makes me think it's real, since this would just be alpha footage (Atlus usually has jank animations in their final games anyway). Plus, there's no HD model that exists anywhere of her Persona Io. So like I said, it's a very convincing fake if it's fake

Resident Evil: Village PC version.

Denuvo has been removed from RE Village's PC version:
-> https://www.pcgamesn.com/resident-evil-village/denuvo-removed
-> https://steamdb.info/app/1196590/history/?changeid=U:37402377
Just a random thought as an ex-PC gamer:

I believe a majority of game sales happen within the first few weeks of a game's release. Often times a game is cracked within days or even the same day with Pirates removing Denuvo making the game run even better than the retail version. I can understand companies wanting to capitalize on those initial sales so removing Denuvo a few months later seems like a nice compromise to me. Just my 2 cents.

I don't know if there's been any studies (I don't know how you could research it outside of just asking people), but I've never bought into the whole "piracy is lost sales" idea.  I've always believed that the people who can afford to and wants to pay for video games will do so.  Those who can't/don't won't.

I get the logic behind having hardcore DRM on games for the first few months, I just think it's flawed logic.

I just find it hard to believe there's someone out there who would normally pirate crap, then seeing RE:Village and thinking "I can't wait."

The worst offenders are when publishers put denuvo in niche games that are $20.. like Legend of Mana. It's so niche that not many people would pirate it to begin with (and if they were going to they probably emulated it forever ago). But nah, gotta put denuvo in it anyway

I don't know if there's been any studies (I don't know how you could research it outside of just asking people), but I've never bought into the whole "piracy is lost sales" idea. I've always believed that the people who can afford to and wants to pay for video games will do so. Those who can't/don't won't.

I get the logic behind having hardcore DRM on games for the first few months, I just think it's flawed logic.
I just find it hard to believe there's someone out there who would normally pirate crap, then seeing RE:Village and thinking "I can't wait."
jack-sparrow-drink-up.gif

Yesterday's pirate is tomorrow's paying customer... or used to be the case in a pre-COVID world.

Poor college students I know turned into paid workers who bought the stuff they loved.  I still buy stuff to support it, but really hate when the publishers treat me like the problem with the worst case of "always online" DRM for single player content.

I want to buy DJMax Respect for PC but it has some supremely invasive DRM for a game I just want to veg out to after work. 

I don't know if there's been any studies (I don't know how you could research it outside of just asking people), but I've never bought into the whole "piracy is lost sales" idea. I've always believed that the people who can afford to and wants to pay for video games will do so. Those who can't/don't won't.

The whole "piracy equals lost sales" things is always based on the fallacy that each "pirated" copy is a copy that would have otherwise been purchased. What little objective reporting I've seen shows that while there is a percentage that would have made a purchase had they not pirated, it's smaller than the number of people who either wouldn't have bought it and completely done without or essentially used a pirated copy as a trial and it turns into a purchase. Specifically with games, it has been shown time and again that DRM really only hurts paying customers. Companies know this and they even anticipate DRM being broken. But they also feel if they get a window between the release and the DRM being cracked, they'll pick up enough sales to make it worthwhile. That's a stat that is a little trickier to figure out because you can't really do a 100% equal comparison between different games and their numbers. I would imagine it's the kind of thing that the "smart" people who run these companies believe regardless of reality anyway, so even if it was possible to figure out, I don't anticipate things changing.

I think it’s less about whether the CEO or whoever believes it, and more about having convenient things to tell the investors a lot of the time. It’d be interesting to track how many of the companies that make these sorts of statements about piracy are public and how many are private.

Dead Island 2 - PC Version's System Requirements:
-> https://www.gamespot.com/articles/dead-island-2-has-some-surprisingly-high-pc-requirements/1100-6513162/

Minimum (1080p 30fps)

• Windows 10
  • AMD FX-9590 or Intel Core i7-7700HQ
  • 10GB RAM
  • AMD Radeon RX 480 or Nvidia GTX 1060
  • 70GB storage
Recommended (1080p 60fps)

• Windows 10
  • AMD Ryzen 5 5600X or Intel Core i9-9900K
  • 16GB RAM
  • AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT or Nvidia RTX 2070 Super
  • 70GB storage
High (1440p 60fps)

• Windows 10
  • AMD Ryzen 7 7700X or Intel Core i5-12600KF
  • 16GB RAM
  • AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT or Nvidia RTX 3070
  • 70GB storage
Ultra (4K 60fps)

• Windows 10
  • AMD Ryzen 9 7900X or Intel Core i7-13700K
  • 16GB RAM
  • AMD Radeon RX 6950 XT or Nvidia RTX 3090
  • 70GB storage

The Last of Us: Part 1 PC port update fixed the mouse stutter/jitter issues:

-> https://www.pcgamesn.com/the-last-of-us/update-pc-mouse-camera-jitter-stutter-fix

Path-tracing patch is out for Cyberpunk 2077 for the 20 people who can run it:

-> https://www.tomshardware.com/news/cyberpunk-277-rt-overdrive-available-to-all

Ghostwire: Tokyo adds DENUVO is its newest update:

-> https://steamdb.info/depot/1475812/history/?changeid=M:8886739513272526916

New Patch version 1.2 released for The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition:

-> https://steamcommunity.com/app/1920490/discussions/0/3827538482558451089/

Just why? This game ran like garbage on my PC when it first launched. I heard they'd fixed it a bit but this is gonna drag it's performance way back down. This long after release just seems so stupid. I assume it's related to the game now appearing on gamepass but still
Yeah, Ghostwire for most PC gamers on Play-through #1 will be a mess b/c of the rampant #ShaderStruggle problem that's been on-going on PC on UE games and other titles too (i.e. games like Deathloop, Dead Space Remake, Witcher 3 Complete Next-Gen Edition, and more). Changing graphics cards and/or drivers will put your back to square one on this Shader problem also, in many instances.

I saw Ghostwire has a New Content Update listed, which is basically DLC, more or less - and yes, it's also now on Game Pass.

Though, I do wonder if paid DLC's and/or paid expansions are coming....which would make the most sense for why they are adding Denuvo to this.

Irdeto (makers of Denuvo) also now has this SecureDLC, which is an API they have made specificially around DLC's to stop DLC-unlockers and things of that sort that try to basically trick platforms into letting gamers who don't own DLC's have actual permissions & access to use them.

Mahokenshi mini review after 5 hours of gameplay.

To summarize this is a pretty decent turn based rogue lite deck building strategy game. You choose a player, whom all play differently (there are 4 characters who unlock after certain missions). Every mission has different main objectives such as reaching a castle, defeating a big enemy, etc... There are also side missions which I recommend completing, as they unlock permanent buffs. These side missions don't always need to be done in a successful mission. You have so much energy and also need energy to move around the map. Some areas like forests, hills and mountains require more than 1 energy to enter. This is counteracted with movement cards which dash for whatever the card costs. Pretty much every missions starts with a basic set of cards, and you find villages/stacks of cards on the map to get other cards. You need all these to traverse and beat harder enemies. You should only focus on the collectibles and the objectives, as usually stuff like enemies or portals are always going. Once the main objective is completed or failed the mission ends and you can take it on again. The missions are linear, but decent.

Everything is controlled with mouse clicks and generally is good. The music and graphics are a little standard but nice. Characters are small but animate decently, and the music and sound is Japanese inspired. It's good enough. The difficulty is challenging, but fair as well. It's good to play.

I really think people had the wrong idea of what this game was. Some reviewers complained about every mission starting with a blank set of cards, but it wouldn't make sense otherwise. You choose your character and equipment (with cooldowns) and every mission requires different strategies. There are also side missions where you can earn more EXP and the side mission currency. I don't think it's amazing, but it's still fun, playable, and also decently original. I will play a mission or two a day and I'll eventually finish it. It's well worth getting in a sale or bundled. 7.5/10

Mahokenshi mini review after 5 hours of gameplay.

To summarize this is a pretty decent turn based rogue lite deck building strategy game. You choose a player, whom all play differently (there are 4 characters who unlock after certain missions). Every mission has different main objectives such as reaching a castle, defeating a big enemy, etc... There are also side missions which I recommend completing, as they unlock permanent buffs. These side missions don't always need to be done in a successful mission. You have so much energy and also need energy to move around the map. Some areas like forests, hills and mountains require more than 1 energy to enter. This is counteracted with movement cards which dash for whatever the card costs. Pretty much every missions starts with a basic set of cards, and you find villages/stacks of cards on the map to get other cards. You need all these to traverse and beat harder enemies. You should only focus on the collectibles and the objectives, as usually stuff like enemies or portals are always going. Once the main objective is completed or failed the mission ends and you can take it on again. The missions are linear, but decent.

Everything is controlled with mouse clicks and generally is good. The music and graphics are a little standard but nice. Characters are small but animate decently, and the music and sound is Japanese inspired. It's good enough. The difficulty is challenging, but fair as well. It's good to play.

I really think people had the wrong idea of what this game was. Some reviewers complained about every mission starting with a blank set of cards, but it wouldn't make sense otherwise. You choose your character and equipment (with cooldowns) and every mission requires different strategies. There are also side missions where you can earn more EXP and the side mission currency. I don't think it's amazing, but it's still fun, playable, and also decently original. I will play a mission or two a day and I'll eventually finish it. It's well worth getting in a sale or bundled. 7.5/10
Similar to my thoughts on the game. Fun, but not as great as I'd hoped. No saves for a current mission are a downer but the fact that every mission has a timer forces you to go fast.

Did the game ramp up your video card's fans too?

Similar to my thoughts on the game. Fun, but not as great as I'd hoped. No saves for a current mission are a downer but the fact that every mission has a timer forces you to go fast.

Did the game ramp up your video card's fans too?
I have a more outdated video card, but it did push it a bit. I did hear my video card fans during one of my sessions. I don't think the game is super optimized.

Pinball FX is on Steam now, was Epic exclusive before. If you have stuff from FX3 it doesn't carry over this time, you only get a 50% discount. I don't really play pinball any more so I wasn't going to mention it, BUT they also have a new one with Snoopy.

You had to mention Snoopy. I mainly play Pinball the licensed ones doing the Pinball Arcade before. I really haven't played FX stuff, but got stuff from older bundles.

Children of Morta full review done after 12 hours:

This is a love/hate type of game. It's really obvious this game is meant for co-op. The difficulty is pretty tough single player, and one or 2 characters are near worthless by themselves (I mean you hammer boy). Overall this game looks quite good, sounds very good and controls decently with a controller. The story is a bit typical at times, but original in ways. It feels like the story of a folk tale. The narrator is excellent and brings more life into everything.

You get to play a lot of characters and it kind of feels Diablo-ish or more Gauntlet-ish. You have specific moves you can do on cooldowns and some other activated ones from artifacts you get. These give you different powers. You don't start off with very much, but through the story unlock all the characters, more skills from level ups, many passive buffs (you will die a lot especially single player), and alterations to the way you play. It still remains simple with your few skills always being around, but sometimes doing something a bit different. It makes it quite a bit more repetitive, but not extremely slow.

You travel through levels and each has a boss at the end. Good luck beating them the first time, but eventually you'll find a strategy and be playing your favorite characters. This gameplay formula is well formulaic and becomes boring rather quickly. This is especially true since early levels take between 10-15 minutes while later ones even rushed can last almost an hour. I wouldn't explore fully, as I wanted to fight the bosses again, plus when stuck in some levels (the 2nd area is terrible here) you will get bored of the same enemies. After you die you got back to the main house and maybe get some story, unlock something, etc... You can also upgrade stuff with gold and feed animals if you have the DLC, which gives your run temporary buffs.

I liked this enough but it had negatives. The story was drawn out at least maybe 30-40 minutes. Some animations played out slowly, as well as some story scenes which said next to nothing. I like how the last character you get is so tacked on. I wont spoil much, but she doesn't appear in story sequences after her initial ones. She plays well, but has next to no impact on the story. The controls also can feel sluggish in particular for activated abilities. I always felt a slight lag or something after using them that could get me hurt or such. The levels inside the worlds are also very, very repetitive especially redoing them many times with all the characters. The game is not balanced extremely well for single player as well with melee characters having a much harder time by themselves, and one of them being unplayable IMHO single player as they're weak and lack defense. I was ready to give up but powered through the last world.

Overall this has been bundled a bunch and is worth a play. The DLC isn't needed although the pet one does help shelters I think. The way animals are fed in the DLC is repetitive and nonsense requiring grinding to find freakin' pet food to get the buffs. I think the story, art and gameplay were all good enough, but it was missing something to be amazing. Play this one co-op or single player if you're willing to grind. It is better than the usual action rogue-lite games. 7/10

I think it’s less about whether the CEO or whoever believes it, and more about having convenient things to tell the investors a lot of the time. It’d be interesting to track how many of the companies that make these sorts of statements about piracy are public and how many are private.
This is the exact reason, because shitholders believe the lies about piracy and demand protection. It may even be contractual to funding so the publisher is bound. It's a symptom of a wider problem across companies not just isolated to gaming.

Children of Morta full review done after 12 hours:

This is a love/hate type of game. It's really obvious this game is meant for co-op. The difficulty is pretty tough single player, and one or 2 characters are near worthless by themselves (I mean you hammer boy). Overall this game looks quite good, sounds very good and controls decently with a controller. The story is a bit typical at times, but original in ways. It feels like the story of a folk tale. The narrator is excellent and brings more life into everything.

You get to play a lot of characters and it kind of feels Diablo-ish or more Gauntlet-ish. You have specific moves you can do on cooldowns and some other activated ones from artifacts you get. These give you different powers. You don't start off with very much, but through the story unlock all the characters, more skills from level ups, many passive buffs (you will die a lot especially single player), and alterations to the way you play. It still remains simple with your few skills always being around, but sometimes doing something a bit different. It makes it quite a bit more repetitive, but not extremely slow.

You travel through levels and each has a boss at the end. Good luck beating them the first time, but eventually you'll find a strategy and be playing your favorite characters. This gameplay formula is well formulaic and becomes boring rather quickly. This is especially true since early levels take between 10-15 minutes while later ones even rushed can last almost an hour. I wouldn't explore fully, as I wanted to fight the bosses again, plus when stuck in some levels (the 2nd area is terrible here) you will get bored of the same enemies. After you die you got back to the main house and maybe get some story, unlock something, etc... You can also upgrade stuff with gold and feed animals if you have the DLC, which gives your run temporary buffs.

I liked this enough but it had negatives. The story was drawn out at least maybe 30-40 minutes. Some animations played out slowly, as well as some story scenes which said next to nothing. I like how the last character you get is so tacked on. I wont spoil much, but she doesn't appear in story sequences after her initial ones. She plays well, but has next to no impact on the story. The controls also can feel sluggish in particular for activated abilities. I always felt a slight lag or something after using them that could get me hurt or such. The levels inside the worlds are also very, very repetitive especially redoing them many times with all the characters. The game is not balanced extremely well for single player as well with melee characters having a much harder time by themselves, and one of them being unplayable IMHO single player as they're weak and lack defense. I was ready to give up but powered through the last world.

Overall this has been bundled a bunch and is worth a play. The DLC isn't needed although the pet one does help shelters I think. The way animals are fed in the DLC is repetitive and nonsense requiring grinding to find freakin' pet food to get the buffs. I think the story, art and gameplay were all good enough, but it was missing something to be amazing. Play this one co-op or single player if you're willing to grind. It is better than the usual action rogue-lite games. 7/10
Finding good local co-op games outside of beatemups can be difficult. I think Children of Morta is one of the best co-op games I have found/beaten that manages to have an interesting co-op campaign.

The Lord of the Rings: Gollum - PC version's System Requirements Revealed:

-> https://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&boardid=1&threadid=258672

MINIMUM:
Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: Intel i7-4770 AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Graphics: GTX 1080/RTX 2060
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 45 GB available space
Additional Notes: at Medium preset and 1080p, Ray Tracing off

RECOMMENDED:
Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: Intel i3-6100 AMD Ryzen 5 2600
Memory: 32 GB RAM
Graphics: RTX 3080 (with DLSS Quality)

DirectX: Version 12
Storage: 45 GB available space
Additional Notes: at High preset and 1440p, Ray Tracing on

The Lord of the Rings: Ent Simulator

"A lifetime to play...several lifetimes to master."

- The developers...probably

"4/10...dialogue is slow and exhaustive...not enough Ent on Ent action."

- IGN

hey yall. any recommendations on sites to sell a steam account? i'll never get through this backlog so i'd like to recoup what i can.
I don't see the point. The seller of a steam account could contact steam, claim the account was hijacked, provide proof of ownership.. and get access back to the account. Doesn't matter if the email was changed either as long as you know the account name. Probably better off giving family or close friends access to the account rather than selling it off.. but that's me. I'd find it hard to trust the seller in that situation unless the cost is really low.

Well, I am trying the video card upgrade again...snagged one of the new RTX 4070 cards, which should arrive tomorrow. Hoping it will be smoother than the AMD I tried last fall. This, if it works, should be a very nice improvement over my 1060.

Well, I am trying the video card upgrade again...snagged one of the new RTX 4070 cards, which should arrive tomorrow. Hoping it will be smoother than the AMD I tried last fall. This, if it works, should be a very nice improvement over my 1060.
Only heads up I can give is unless you got a deal under $500, most tech reviews say that GPU is one of the worst for the price.

New tech is always exciting. I’ve been down this rabbit hole the last two months myself. I’m just super careful and picky with my parts. Unless there’s a crazy deal like 70% off. Then most of the time I’m all in.

Only heads up I can give is unless you got a deal under $500, most tech reviews say that GPU is one of the worst for the price.

New tech is always exciting. I’ve been down this rabbit hole the last two months myself. I’m just super careful and picky with my parts. Unless there’s a crazy deal like 70% off. Then most of the time I’m all in.
Interesting. I'll have to poke around for some more reviews. The first one or two I've seen seem ok. The nice thing is, I have 2 weeks to return it, so I can poke around and get more in-depth info before even opening it up.

Curious if I should grab a 3060 ti instead, if I can find one for around $450.

Interesting. I'll have to poke around for some more reviews. The first one or two I've seen seem ok. The nice thing is, I have 2 weeks to return it, so I can poke around and get more in-depth info before even opening it up.

Curious if I should grab a 3060 ti instead, if I can find one for around $450.

You must be reading my mind. I also would suggest against the 3060ti. It’s only 8gb of vram and some modern games it reaches bottleneck immediately. I’d do at least a 3060 12gb.

I personally just ordered a 4090 and have a never used 3060 12gb ASUS phoenix I’m about to sell as soon as my new GPU arrives.

Problem is going to be the VRAM-count on modern GPU's.

4070 has 12GB VRAM - so that's okay. Not amazing mind you, but it's better than 8gb VRAM (3060 Ti and 3070). Nvidia will be NVidia and VRAM-skimp, if you ain't buying the top-dog GPU (i.e. see the 4090 coming in at 24GB VRAM). They done this skimping on 960's with 2gb VRAM (they should've went with 4gb), the whole "4gb" GTX 970 debacle (with the lack of last .5GB of that card being mostly useless w/ slow speed & bus, which made it more like a 3.5GB VRAM card); and it looks like we're getting kicked in the butt with 3070's as newer stuff comes.

Especially when consoles have 16GB RAM/VRAM shared pool to dig from however they want and can swing it however whenever, which don't help a lot of us - yeah, so thanks a lot for not sticking 10gb or 12gb VRAM (or more) on 3070's, Nvidia.

AMD was prepared & cared on the VRAM-front on their 6700 line for the future, Nvidia didn't.

3060 Ti only has 8gb VRAM - and given that Jedi Survivor and SH2 Remake require 8gb VRAM as a minimum....yeah, not sure if I was buying a pricey card right now if 8gb would be the way to go.

And from the looks of things, TLOU P1 does WAY better with over 8gb VRAM+ anyways.

EDIT:

You must be reading my mind. I also would suggest against the 3060ti. It’s only 8gb of vram and some modern games it reaches bottleneck immediately. I’d do at least a 3060 12gb.

I personally just ordered a 4090 and have a never used 3060 12gb ASUS phoenix I’m about to sell as soon as my new GPU arrives.
We know the 3070's a better performer - but VRAM-wise, I wonder if the 12gb 3060 would be better off than the 8gb 3070 in the long run.

Leave it to Nvidia to purposely skimp VRAM on most GPU's, screw the pricing up on non-4090 cards, and whatnot...just to try to get gamers to buy $1600 24gb VRAM 4090's.

VRAM-wise, I wonder if the 3060 would be better off than the 3070.

100% yea. Which is why I have it. Though I haven’t been gaming on mine at all and just lit the ‘luck lottery’ being able to order a 4090 founders recently. So my current card sits unused until I get the new one.

I'm on an older Nvidia card myself. I may try out an AMD card and see how it goes. I'm wanting to upgrade this year hopefully. I went from Intel to AMD on motherboard (amazing should have likely done it earlier with the prices of Intel processors), so likely it's time for a change there too for a future video card. I wasn't too excited seeing the 4000 stuff with the 4090 being extremely expensive and the 4080 not too far behind. Hopefully I'll find the right card and more importantly for the right price. I only want to spend around $800 or so total for that.

I don't see the point. The seller of a steam account could contact steam, claim the account was hijacked, provide proof of ownership.. and get access back to the account. Doesn't matter if the email was changed either as long as you know the account name. Probably better off giving family or close friends access to the account rather than selling it off.. but that's me. I'd find it hard to trust the seller in that situation unless the cost is really low.
true, but i would trust me as the seller lmao

Cyberpunk 2077.

I'd like to mention how even more amazing Cyberpunk 2077 (PC version) looks now w/ Overdrive RT (aka Path-Tracing), provided you got the hardware and/or can find a way to get it going. It already looked great with RT On at Psycho, but looks even better now.

1080p at 25-40fps or so here on my RTX 3070 with DLSS On at Balanced & without the RT OD Optimization Mod.

I should check that out - i.e. the RT OD Optimization Mod.

And yeah, this thing's eating almost all of my 8gb VRAM on my RTX 3070.

See this from Digital Foundry:

https://youtu.be/cSq2WoARtyM

I’m somewhat newish in PC gaming. I haven’t played since 2014 and have been macOS only and console only ever since. A question I have for current PC gamers is how is 1080p today? I’ve been playing 4K for ages now on console and have been 4K only in film for longer. I couldn’t imagine playing any game at 1080p nowadays. Unless PC is different compared to gaming on a large OLED tv.

I’m somewhat newish in PC gaming. I haven’t played since 2014 and have been macOS only and console only ever since. A question I have for current PC gamers is how is 1080p today? I’ve been playing 4K for ages now on console and have been 4K only in film for longer. I couldn’t imagine playing any game at 1080p nowadays. Unless PC is different compared to gaming on a large OLED tv.
My smartass answer is that it's better than 30 fps. A more thoughtful answer is that some of it would depend on your monitor. I personally could never go back to 16:9 for 3D games, regardless of resolution.

A lot of this is going to depend on where you sit and also how big your HDTV and/or monitor is.

Remember, PC gamers often sit directly right in front of the monitor; console gamers sit quite a bit further away on a couch. FOV is going to be different.

1080p is fine. And, why wouldn't it be fine? [shrug]

I still use 1080p - I use it on laptops and on desktops. So, here's why: depending on the game & situation: I want better graphics settings, performance and/or framerates. I tried 1440p and 4K way back - yep, I do have a 4K monitor, when it was the new hot-ness - and yes, it looks great on a 25-30'' monitor. But, performance was "meh." It wasn't worth losing the performance just to go to those resolutions at that time, TBH.

I'd be guessing w/ screen ratios and all of that - yeah, it makes more sense to have a 4K for your TV b/c you'll likely have a 50-70''+ TV and sitting a bit further away too.

But then, I got ruined & spoiled. Bought a SC15 (1080p laptop with 120hz framerates with G-Sync support & a 6gb GTX 1060m GPU) - and my 1st thought was "Screw 1440p and 4K for now", after using it. My world was flipped upside down, trying to run at that time the demanding AF Ghost Recon: Wildlands at 120fps, took a massive hit to 90fps - and it felt like nothing happened. And this was in scenes in a big Ubi open-world w/ tons of madness happening on-screen w/ cars, actions, shootouts, explosions, etc. INSANE. Same when it was at 90fps...and it dropped to 60fps like nothing happened; jaw dropped. My previous PC with 4gb 970 could run at 30-40fps tops, with stutters all over the place.

Had to buy a real monitor with G-Sync & high-FPS support; bought a 1080p G-Sync 240hz monitor at 25''; still use it today. Never upgraded to 1440p or 4K at higher Hz/FPS. Been lazy, even with owning a 3070 desktop PC now, still going with 1080p - ain't even tried to 4K monitor on it. Why? Give me better framerates & performance and/or give me Ray-Tracing (when it's there).

To me, if I'm gonna do 4K - well, I'd need & want a RTX 4090 and want to max that out with RT/PT on...or get close to max. So, you know what? I ain't dropping $1600 on a 4090 and I ain't buying a pricey as heck monitor either. Skip that; 1080p's fine at max for now.

EDIT - And 1080p on my 3070 is probably the only way I'm gonna be able to run RT Overdrive (aka Path-Tracing) on CP 2077 there on this rig. PT don't run great at those settings. RT Psycho runs much better. But, this game looks amazing w/ Ray-Tracing Overdrive - even more transformative with its limiting & shadowing than Regular RT was.

bread's done
Back