Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
Been playing Spiritfarer.

Fun game, but man, it really slows to a crawl at the end. I don't know if it's just because the last bits were all added later in the game's life, but it's just wait around for what feels like an hour or more for a mission, do it in 20 minutes, then back to waiting. There's nothing to do between missions unless I want to accumulate more stuff I won't use and don't need.

Maybe it's meant to simulate life. First part is a little slow but there's plenty to do, then everyone is wanting you to do stuff, then you're down to a couple friends and you sit around waiting for hours to do anything.
Hopefully it's gotten better. It was kinda buggy right near the end, which ruined a bit for me as rather than just coasting into the end of the story and enjoying the end of the storyline, I was unmuddling fiddliness to try to just get to the end of the game without having to restart.

Hopefully it's gotten better. It was kinda buggy right near the end, which ruined a bit for me as rather than just coasting into the end of the story and enjoying the end of the storyline, I was unmuddling fiddliness to try to just get to the end of the game without having to restart.
I didn't have any issues with bugs.

Steam Next Fest Fall 2023 starting today baby! Looking forward to trying about 80 new games and I will give my usual reviews for games I get a good idea about at least after a few minutes. Time to push my new 4080 to the limit (haha).

Anyone got any recommendations for good gaming chairs?

I'm looking to replace an old off brand chair that is falling apart. I'm considering the Secret Lab Titan Evo and Razer Iskur. Any others I should be looking at?

I'm looking to replace an old off brand chair that is falling apart. I'm considering the Secret Lab Titan Evo and Razer Iskur. Any others I should be looking at?
I would recommend looking at a used Herman Miller or Steel Case chair if you want something that will last longer. Though the the chairs will be more expensive, they offer better back support and will outlast a regular desk chair. I would avoid the chairs that look like a race car seat as they will leave you with a sore back after awhile.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been using a Secret Labs Titan for the last couple of years as both my daytime work-from-home desk chair and my evening PC use/gaming chair.  No complaints; it's still comfortable and holding up just fine.

Personally, I'd recommend avoiding any chairs where the seat angles up on the sides, unless you have fairly narrow hips. For my fat arse, I find it's uncomfortable after about 45 minutes of sitting.

Also, pleather sucks. It breaks down and flakes, on every chair I've gotten in close to 20 yrs. Either get cloth, or actual leather.

Also, pleather sucks. It breaks down and flakes, on every chair I've gotten in close to 20 yrs. Either get cloth, or actual leather.
"Bonded leather" isn't much better and gets passed off as leather. Which it is, in the same way that plywood is wood. I'd just stick with cloth.

My SL Titan supports me fine at 6'1" and 210 (previously up to 230) pounds but people's ass fatness may vary.

people's ass fatness may vary.
Pz7syAf.gif

Another vote for the Herman Miller Aeron chair. @Gamegirlpocket went through this awhile back and landed on the Aeron which she seemed pretty happy with.

I would recommend looking at a used Herman Miller or Steel Case chair if you want something that will last longer. Though the the chairs will be more expensive, they offer better back support and will outlast a regular desk chair. I would avoid the chairs that look like a race car seat as they will leave you with a sore back after awhile.
+1 I finally dove into the HM brand last year and this chair looks like it came yesterday. Zero wear or signs of weakening, nor have I had to 'pump' it up from deflation even once. Not sure I'll ever need a replacement which is so worth the investment.

I swear by my Emerge chair (Staples... often on sale/clearance).  I got it below $100 each time.  In fact, my spouse and kid both got one after trying to steal mine.  Nice an wide ;)

It replaced my ~25 year old one.  Which has had many chairs try to knock it off the mountain.. but never did til this one.

It's amazing how much the Secretlab chairs have gone up in price since two years ago. The cost of building chairs and such.

What I bought for $359 in 6/2021 is now $624 (before discounts) on the new designs. I think mine was on sale -$70 off or something. They said they were raising prices after that but wow did they really raise prices.

There are -$40 and -$100 coupons on them at Amazon today for Prime Day btw. It's not much, but it's something.

While we’re on the subject of chairs, I have a question. This isn’t limited just to gaming chairs, but desk chairs in general: has anyone ever used one of those mesh chairs longterm? I like the way they feel trying them in stores, but that’s only for like a minute at a time. Wondering how comfortable they are for sitting for long periods, as well as how they hold up over time.

While we’re on the subject of chairs, I have a question. This isn’t limited just to gaming chairs, but desk chairs in general: has anyone ever used one of those mesh chairs longterm? I like the way they feel trying them in stores, but that’s only for like a minute at a time. Wondering how comfortable they are for sitting for long periods, as well as how they hold up over time.
I have an all mesh Herman Miller that I 'rescued' from a office renovation job I was on about 13 years ago and it is the most comfortable and durable chair I've ever had. Granted this was close to a $700 chair when new. From my experience with other chairs of lesser expenditure, the seat cushion on a non-mesh chair will flatten and become less comfortable before a mesh seat bottom will become damaged.

However, to counter my own point a bit, I have a full foam and fabric office chair that I rescued from that same job and it has held up just as well. The mesh Miller is still more comfortable, but as far as durability goes, both chairs have held up very well (and as they should for a combined government cost of almost $1300).

I just use a folding chair I got from biglots for 7$ for the bedroom set up and in the living room set up a wicker chair from aldis for 14$. >_> 

I had a used Aeron in my office for 10+ years, and is probably 20+ years old. My own chair has a mesh back and cost more than an Aeron and has been fine for the past 10 years.

Some of the Fall Steam Next Fest Impressions. I have about maybe 20 more demos to go, but likely will cut that in half , or many will be quick, as I'm not much in the mood for adventure games. I've felt this Next Fest has had a lot less impressive demos, and a lot more things that could show potential, but there isn't much there yet, or it lacks a lot of polishing. I did go over some heavy hitters including the new Robocop game (it's good for what it is, which is likely a bundled game at higher tiers). Enjoy and hope this will guide you to more of the better demos. Today later on I'll likely hit many visual novels, narrative games, possibly non English or not good English games and a few more heavy hitters I haven't hit yet.

The two I am very likely to buy on their respective releases are Love is All Around (Pretty decent FMV romantic comedy type dating game) and Spellrogue (Great dice rolling rogue lite that is a great variation on Slay the Spire without cards). Little Goody Two Shoes was a very nice throwback to PS1 games like Rhapsody and seemed like a lot of fun too.

American Arcadia - 28 minutes completed demo. This one was a really interesting narrative driven kind of suspense 2D platforming action game where you play a guy who is an accountant and finds out someone he works with wins an award for travelling. He finds out this is not an award and the company kills people, and he and someone from inside the company work to keep him alive. Really good graphics, voice acting and presentation. The controls were fine except for having to interact with cameras using the Series X controller. A lot of potential here and I would get it bundled or on sale. 7.5/10

An Arcade Full of Cats - 11 minutes. One of those find a bunch of objects games. In this one it’s kind of fuzzy looking for cats in arcades. It had okay synth music as well. I would only get this bundled. 5.5/10

Anode Heart - 8 minutes. This one seems like an average pretty open world monster catching like game. Nothing too special although the battle system was a bit confusing. Graphics were okay and I don’t remember much music or sounds. Just was kind of boring and my second fight I lost very easily. 5.5/10

Anomaly Agent - 31 minutes completed demo. This was a very stylish sometimes a bit clunky 2D brawler. This game controlled very decently for the most part with the Series X controller although the trigger stuff was a little off sometimes. You go around and beat people up and there is portals that transport you places. It’s very action packed, sounds and looks great, and overall was very clean. I liked this and would get it on sale or bundled. 7.5/10

AURA: Hentai Cards - 8 minutes. Just plain awful kind of Slay the Spire/visual novel game about a guy who gets a goddesses blessing and must take down a demon queen. The gameplay is awful and unpredictable. The graphics are okay, but kind of annoying. This was not polished at all. 5/10

Bahnsen Knights - 5 minutes. This one is an old school feeling and looking visual novel/choose your adventure game where there is something cooking and I didn’t play long enough to see. Overall I thought it all came together well, but this would be something I likely pick up in a bundle only. 6/10

Bare Knuckle Sandwich - 6 minutes. This one is about some guy who gets high and is in some fights that are kind of like punch out. I feel this is no where near as clean as any Punch Out game. The soundtrack was decent, and the graphics were alright. I wasn’t having too much fun and the op I played against had too much life. 5.5/10

Below the Stone - 8 minutes. This one is a dwarf mining action adventure cave dwelling game. Overall you collect stuff, do missions, craft stuff, and it has decent graphics and sound. The fight controls with the Series X controller were a bit wonky and floaty overall. Nothing amazing, but nothing bad either. I would only get it bundled. 6/10

Blue Maiden - 22 minutes completed demo. This one is a weird artsy horror game about a guy who guys off to a university in Osaka and comes back 4 years later to his neighborhood. He notices it’s kind of weird and off putting now. Pretty much this is a horror game where you walk around and investigate things. It had a nice atmosphere with the rain sounds being very good. The graphics were decent as well. I’m not much into these type of games, but this was creepy and fun enough to get bundled. 7/10

Claw Machine Sim - 3 minutes. This is a claw machine sim. It has decent graphics, wonky controls and okay synth music. You play one claw machine in this demo and it’s tough. I ended up getting one thing. Not my type of game, but I could see this being fun with fine tuning. 6/10

Conquistadoro - 11 minutes completed demo. This one is a kind of a weird game where you play as some conquistador skeleton reanimated thing. You click around and solve puzzles. It’s not always obvious, but it’s not bad and does have a hint system. The graphics were pretty good, and the music was mysterious and quite good. Not as much my type of game, but would get it bundled. 6.5/10

Core Devourer - 12 minutes completed one run ending in a death. This is a somewhat clunkier non auto attacking Vampire Survivors like game. You play a robot and get upgrades. This one has some average sounding synth music and also controlled ok with the Series X controller. The graphics were pretty average too. Overall it was clean enough, but didn’t stand out. 6/10

Ending Tau - 30 minutes. This one is an overhead rogue lite game where you play some cursed guy and he gets animal powers attached to his body in an action game. This one looks decent and controls alright with a Series X controller. This one was feeling a bit repetitive already mainly cause all the fights were arena ones and the enemies repeated often. It was pretty good, but missing something. Would likely only get bundled. 6.5/10

Ete - 6 minutes. This one is an open world kind of pretty painting game where you paint on canvas and you get inspired from around you. This isn’t really my type of game, but it looked and sounded nice, and seems decent for painting. Only bad thing is sometimes some laggy movement animations. I would only get it bundled. 6/10

FatalZone - 8 minutes completed a few runs. This one is a generic zombie Vampire Survivors like. I like the guns, but I didn’t feel like there were enough upgrades. It seemed extremely grindy already, so will be a play only when bundled. 6/10

Galactic Glitch: Infinity's Edge - 3 minutes. Just a decent arena shooter probably rouge lite game where you’re in space and dodge and move around. Everything feels kind of floaty, but it plays OK enough. 6/10

Gifted Island - 5 minutes. This one is a very clunky mix between 3D moving around and 3D visual novel segments. This was already clunky to do the dialogue, so I really don’t know why they added the 3D movement. This is very unpolished, and I hope makes a decent game someday. 5/10

Hood Story: Kaito Yamazaki - 6 minutes. This one felt like a pretty awful beat em up. It has you playing some guy in a gang and is very, very floaty in all movement. The fighting just wasn’t for me, and neither were the voices. Needs a lot of polishing. 5/10

Japanese Drift Master - 8 minutes. This one is a drifting driving game taking place in Japan. It looks OK even though it was stuttering and having some performance issues on my 4080. It controlled okay with the Series X controller and does support racing wheels. Not really for me, and needs a little bit of a boost to performance, but could be fun to do all the challenges and stuff in the game. 5.5/10

Jusant - 14 minutes. Climbing simulator the game. This isn’t much more. It’s a bit cinematic and has a cool control scheme with the Series X controller. It just doesn’t have much going on other than climbing. This looks like a prime Humble Bundle bundle type game. 6.5/10

The Last Faith - 6 minutes. Really didn’t like this 2D platforming Souls Metroidvania like. It was very weighty and controlled weird, and had little jitters here and there. Overall it needs polishing, and I died and quit. 5/10

Little Goody Two Shoes - 22 minutes. This one feels like an older game with slightly older feeling, but very nice graphics similar to a game like Princess Maker. It deals with a girl who was raised by a grandma and what happens after she passes. You pretty much have a daily life simulation RPG horror thing to play managing your resources and time. Overall it seemed pretty good although the movement was a little weird feeling. There is also dating sim elements with only bachelorettes to romance. Still felt really good. Easy get on a good sale or bundle. 8/10

Love n Life: Lucky Teacher - 50 minutes completed demo. This is one of those usually adult simulation pixel art games where you do stuff in order to raise stats and get closer to people. I enjoyed a plumbing one, and this one felt a little clunky, but overall was similar to that. These are fun for a few hours until you get all the endings. Overall pretty good. Not 100% sure if this one will have adult content or not. 7/10

Love Is All Around - 21 minutes completed demo. This one is an FMV interactive romantic comedy game in Chinese language I believe. This was really entertaining and reminded me of the Sakura Wars the visual novel like one on the PS2/Wii. I thought it was well acted, probably will be just a few hours, but it also has some scenes where you investigate to help you along. Overall it was fun, the ladies were cute, and I liked the acting. It should be relatively cheap on release, so I’m likely getting this one. 8/10

Lucky Hero - 7 minutes. This is a rogue lite slot game where you choose a box with different encounters and do slot battles. You need to click on icons to do things. I don’t like this one very much. It tries to be like Luck Be a Landlord, but with extra steps. There was an old RPG slot game I loved, but in that you needed to get combinations. This just is kind of boring. 5.5/10

Magicraft - 17 minutes. This one was an okay arena bullet shooting mage guy game. You get sucked into a game and become a hero. It looks alright and plays a little floaty, but was still decently fun. Nothing amazing that I would only get bundled. 6/10

Maiden Cops - 10 minutes. This is a 2D beat em up with some monster girls and anime graphics. Overall the animation is pretty nice, the sound is good and the controls are ok with the Series X controller. Overall I enjoyed it enough, but it needs some polishing in the actual beat em up gameplay. Still would buy on heavy discount or bundled. 7/10

The Mobius Machine - 13 minutes. This one is a space based 2D Metroidvania action type game. It is an alright one with decent enough controls, nice graphics, pretty good music and sound, and overall it’s just alright. I would likely only get it bundled. 6.5/10

Night Stroll - 6 minutes completed demo. This in an RPGMaker visual novel event style game where you play a girl who experiments with exhibition. In this game you just got to the convenience store, but you will have to make choices in the full game. I would get this bundled or cheap on sale. Nothing too amazing, but it had good art. 7/10

Peeping Dorm Manager - Finished demo. This was a very lengthy demo and it is one of those simulation games where you play as a dorm manager and try to win over people. It is quite lengthy and there are multiple people to get. It takes a lot of gameplay to get going in the game. Still very decent overall for an 18+ game. 7/10

Phantom Rose 2 Sapphire - 15 minutes completed stage 1. This one is a deck builder kind of Slay the Spire type game where instead of being about energy cards have cooldowns and you have access to your whole deck. You and an opponent take turns playing cards. It is pretty fun and has good graphics and solid enough gameplay. I didn’t think it was amazing, but it played very easily, and had a decent amount going on. 7.5/10

Pinball M - 17 minutes. This is another Pinball FX table game. This one mainly has horror themed tables including a Duke Nukem 3D one. It played and looked pretty well. I liked the 3 tables I played as well (Chucky, Duke, Some other one). 7/10

Pixel Cafe - 7 Minutes completed one level. This one is a very nice pixel graphics doing different tasks in a cafe simulator. It is recommended to use a controller and there are variations of everything. The music is decent as well, and I wouldn’t mind getting this one in a bundle. 7/10

Promenade - 5 minutes completed one stage. This one is a very whimisical nice looking 2D platformer where the main thing is finding shards and being able to platform using a kind of hook thing. Seems nice, although I wouldn’t get it unbundled. 7/10

Robocop: Rogue City - 87 minutes. Completed one mission and a few side missions. Overall it feels a bit dated especially in graphics. The characters look pretty good, but the environments are just OK. You move around slowly like Robocop, but the characters, story, sound and controls are decent. Some things don’t activate as cleanly like your heal, but most do. The Robocop vision is interesting for fighting and also for finding clues. I like this one enough, but it feels a bit unpolished. I still think it’s going to be a very decent game, just not amazing. It seems like a fun game to play a mission or two a day. I would get it bundled or on a heavier sale like probably around $10 or $15. 7.5/10

Rusty Robot Wants to Cry - 6 minutes completed 2 levels. This one stars a robot who rolls and can only jump and go forward. You use timing and these white arrows to turn around. The main thing you want to do is collect stars, get the key to the exit and get rid of glitches in this simulation. It played and looked like an old C64 game. I would only play it bundled, but it was solid enough as a puzzle platformer. 6.5/10

Skybreakers - 13 minutes. This one is an arena fighter with upgrades similar to a more generic Vampire Survivors. You don’t unlock more attacks but need to attack, dodge, and use ultimate attacks similar to a basic Diablo clone. This one looks and feels OK, but is really repetitive and the enemies are not of too much variety and can be HP sponges. 6/10

Soulsinger: Envoy of Death - 15 minutes. This one is an arena shooter rogue lite FPS. You shoot souls and collect junk. It kind of reminds me of those old Painkiller games. Overall had pretty decent graphics and voice acting. The sounds were a bit off especially for shooting. Overall solid, but not for me. 6.5/10

SpellRogue - 25 minutes completed 1 stage fully. This one is a really nice looking dice rolling rogue lite game where your dice help you activate spells from your spellbook. It’s pretty neat and has a lot of RNG, but it’s also pretty addictive. Highly recommended I’m sure I’ll get it on release. 8/10

Star Leaping Story - 9 minutes. This one is a precision platformer where there is pixel graphics and a 2D plane. This should support controllers, but it’s keyboard controls for now. It is similar to other platformers where you can boost around. This one wasn’t bad at all, but I’m not sure I’d pay a lot for it either. 7/10

Friend (who has a PS5) sold me his PS4 a few weeks ago for $50 with 3 controllers and a few games.

Those games on PS4 he included:

1. God of War 2018 - been playing that on and off...and so far, it rocks;

2. TLOU Remastered - loved it in full (base-game and Left Behind DLC).

3. Uncharted: ND Collection - played Uncharted 1 only so far; loved it.

4. Uncharted 4: ATE - ain't got to it yet; still need to work on ND Collection.

Also picked-up recently Kingdom Hearts 3 for PS4 for $6 few weeks ago also from GameStop, of all places.

EDIT - Another friend recently gave me TLOU P2 (Steelbook Edition) too.

EDIT 2 - Also recently bought-to-own from PSN both Bloodborne: Complete (around $17 on sale) & Travis Strikes Again: NMH ($4.50) [prices before tax].

Hey, I'm still doing demos, but would also add that y'all need to try Slay the Princess. Games is great.

Little Goody Two Shoes, The Use of Life, and Break the Loop are other recommendations, for now.

Speaking of demos, I just found out about a game called Small Saga that's coming out next month (it's got a demo on Steam at the moment). Never heard of it before I saw a streamer try it out recently, but it looks pretty neat. Essentially a turn-based RPG with a good looking pixel-art style where you play as mice.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1320140/Small_Saga/
I played the demo probably 2 Fests ago. It was pretty solid and even won my runner up RPG of that Fest award in my own made up awards. I have a whole one more demo to go through and it may not even be English, so I'll be posting my last set of impressions soon.

My last set of Steam Fest impressions. I found some quality demos in this batch. Cobalt Core was my favorite of this bunch. It was a unique feeling rogue lite when a lot of the games coming out with those characteristics are kind of samey and boring.  I hate to say my other favorite game of this whole bunch was the RPGMaker game I played Harem In Another World. Wholesome Monster Girl Academy was really sweet and nice as well. Most of this stuff was random stuff I still hadn't played and many visual novels and adventure games.

閃攻機人アスラ - ASURA THE STRIKER - 2 minutes. This just throws you in an anime looking clone of the Sega arcade game Space Harrier. This felt a lot more floaty and inaccurate for your bullets and dodging others. It needs a lot of polish, but has decent graphics at least. 5/10

Break the Loop - 13 minutes. This one was a decent turn based RPG rogue lite. I didn’t care as much for the graphics, or the somewhat random enemy damage and stuff to your team. Also the changing of positions is a bit weird. I did like the somewhat Darkest Dungeon mechanics though. I just wasn’t super impressed overall, but I see potential. Least it seems like it has a good amount of variety. 6.5/10

Cobalt Core - 17 minutes completed demo aka defeated first area boss. This one is a very cool deck building somewhat Slay the Spire type where you play a ship and have to damage/evade/shield up against enemy attacks. The placement of your ship and the attack cannon make this one special. This is a really tricky one and a really fun one. The sound effects sounded muffled, but the graphics were great, the premise was easy to get, and it seemed challenging. I really liked this one. 8.5/10

Date Z - 13 minutes completed demo. This one is a game where you play a guy in a visual novel where you don’t get along with girls the first time and the world ends in a zombie apocalypse. You end up travelling back in time to when you transferred to said school. Supposedly not getting with a girl caused this or some other mysteries. Overall I liked the graphics, the music was very unique sounding like indie bands, and the premise is decent. I do wish it even had limited voices though. Overall I would probably get it on a cheaper sale price or bundled. 7.5/10

Departed Away - 5 minutes. Really didn’t like this visual novel. It’s one of those weird bunch of stuff happens around you that is strange. It stars some antisocial or something guy who watches too much anime and gets into fights at school. I gave up when it was just a bunch of random choices and weird stuff happening on screen. The dialogue also seemed to go slowly at times, not giving a good rhythm to when I press the key and when dialogue advances. The graphics were decent at least. Not for me at all. 6/10

The Diary - 3 minutes. This one is an interactive diary adventure telling the story of a young girl. You look for context clues and solve puzzles according to that. It is casual, but pretty nice and the aesthetic is great. Overall I liked it, but really didn’t feel a need to complete the demo. This one I would get on sale. 7/10

Flavor Favor - 7 minutes completed demo I guess. This one is one of those choose your own adventures and is very confusing. You start out running in a warehouse and escape and are on a boat or something. Then the demo ends. The art was OK, the characters who knows, and I didn’t like the choice system of a fist, heart or something else. I would only get this one bundled, although the art was nice. 5.5/10

Gods of the Twilight - 8 minutes. This one is a sc-fi visual novel where you play either a girl or a guy and have stuff happen to you. I think it has some stuff to do with Norse mythology, but I didn’t get far enough. Overall I liked the graphics, the voice acting was pretty alright, and I think it could have something to it. Would likely get it on sale. 7/10

Good Bones - 10 minutes completed demo. This one is an adventure mystery game about a lady and her daughter that move to an old house. There is a light on in the attic, but the demo ends before you can go up there. It had decent graphics, an okay story, and okay music. Just overall decent, though I wasn’t too in love with it. 6/10

Harem In Another World - 52 minutes completed demo. This one is a pretty fun RPGMaker game with harem elements where you play a pervert and on a school trip do a ritual that ends up another world. It has a pretty basic auto battle system, but was kind of fun. I liked the interactions, the RPGMaker system was used well, and the non RPGMaker animated scenes are not bad. Overall I expected nothing, and it wasn’t bad at all. If it’s cheap enough like $5 on release I’ll gladly buy it. 8/10

The Holy Gosh Darn - 5 minutes. An interesting adventure game about people in heaven with decent voice acting and animation. I got stuck on the first puzzle though messing around with the puzzle for about 3 minutes. I was enjoying it before then, but developers should offer some hints especially for the first puzzle. Has some potential. 6.5/10

Leila - 9 minutes. This is a very weird hidden object and puzzle adventure game about some lady who isn’t very happy and extremely cynical. It has great graphics and decent voice acting but doesn’t explain jack for puzzle solving. I couldn’t figure out whom to connect wires in a robot. This is very flawed and needs to guide the player more saying hey this is what you should try to be doing. Probably would only get bundled. 6.5/10

LEWD GYM - 15 minutes. This one is a basic 18+ simulation where in this case you join a gym with monster girls and train up lewdly. Nothing special although the graphics are OK. 6/10

Mixology - 32 minutes. This one is an interesting one where you are bored at work and leave and run into a robot. Because you get it damaged you end up working at some club called Mixology. In it you have hostesses to interact with and need to mix drinks for customers. Overall I liked the setting, the art was unique, and the mixing is fine as well. I’d get it on sale or bundled. 7.5/10

Ocelot Sunrise - 9 minutes and two failed runs. This is yet another Vampire Survivors clone. This one has okay weapons and a combo system, though I think it’s really gimmicky since it puts you in danger with the dash. I didn’t like how fast you get overrun by a bunch of HP sponge tougher enemies. Had okay graphics and sounds. Yet another Steam Fest game that is relatively unpolished, but has some potential. Not a huge fan of this one. 6/10

Siren's Call: Escape Velocity - 18 minutes. This is yet another weird mystery visual novel with weird stuff happening. I’m not sure what exactly is going on, but a guy is going to leave to college and has to see his friends. Before this we get some dialogue about how everything is his fault and rockets need to leave Earth, so very little makes sense. There is some weird like abstract painting background things I’m not a huge fan of, but they are likely placeholder. The graphics are okay otherwise, as is the music, and I wish it had some voices. Just overall alright, but I would give it a try bundled. 6/10

Snufkin: Melody of Moominvalley - 7 minutes. This one is an adventure casual game about a guy who visits the valley after a winter. Overall it looked and sounded really nice, but I found it very boring. It’s one of those games where you just do tasks and stuff for people. 6/10

Space Boat - 17 minutes. This one is a kind of weird 3D adventure comedy thing where you play some cat in a suit investigating something. I had some fun with the decent dialogue and voices and the puzzle gameplay wasn’t too bad. Overall it’s something I’d play bundled and maybe cheaper in a sale. 7/10

Succubuzz App - 10 minutes completed demo. This was a low effort 18+ game with some casual puzzle mechanics. In the visual novel the main character bumps into someone who installs the Succubuzz app on his phone. With it he can control people. The text didn’t flow well at all (speed wise) and only spacebar would move the text. This feels very unpolished although the graphics were average. 5.5/10

Tevi - 14 minutes. This one is 2D Metroidvania except with lots of arena brawling with enemies who are sometimes HP sponges. Really generic music and decent graphics. The controls were OK enough although somethings felt weighty and floaty. Overall I would only get it bundled as it didn’t really impress me. 6.5/10

Three Minutes to Eight - 60 minutes. I played the set amount of time allotted in game quite a few times. Pretty much you’re stuck in a time loop of 8 minutes and have to figure out how to escape it. I never did. It had good voice acting, music, controls and a concept. It is quite hard and sometimes hard to interact with many background objects in one spot. There is a button to switch things though. Overall very intriguing but also very frustrating. Still would happily get bundled. 7/10

Time Survivors - 8 minutes. Another Vampire Survivors clone. This one has it where you play someone from history and fight off stuff. The music is very Vampire Survivors like, while the sound is kind of weird, such as the hits sounding like hitting a can. Overall it’s polished and decent enough, but didn’t stand out as much other than some interesting weapons like a boomerang. Also limiting a player to only 3 main weapons before unlocks is lame. 6.5/10

Tiny Survivors - 5 minutes. Another Vampire Survivors clone, but this one takes place in a tiny arena so dodging isn’t as useful. Pretty much you just get as much DPS and damage mitigation as possible and stand still. Pretty boring and it had very little enemy variety so far. I think if this was on a much bigger plane, it would be alright, as it has a decent enough weapon variety. 5.5/10

Turnip Boy Robs a Bank - 6 minutes. This one is a kind of Enter the Gungeon style shooter where you play Turnip Boy robbing a bank alone. You go around and kill and try to get as much as possible. Overall the comedy and graphics are okay although the feel of everything is weighty and weird. I overall wasn’t too impressed, but it will likely get bundled along the way. 6/10

Vengeance of Mr. Peppermint - 7 minutes. This is a 2D beat em up with slick graphics, and a very okay and repetitive combat system. The animation for things are great, although all enemies have way too much HP. It’s some revenge game with some guy who doesn’t remember anything. Overall it’s likely better to try the other games like this (Friends of someone forget the name of the game). 5.5/10

Venture to the Vile - 16 minutes. This one says it’s a 2.5D Metroidvania, but it feels more souls like since there is a parry. It looks, sounds and controls alright. I liked the setting, but it wouldn’t be something I pick up. I’m just not as much into the long drawn out souls like combat. 6.5/10

Voice of Belladonna - 11 minutes. This is a Slay The Spire like game, but feels more like a combo heavy game for one of the characters. There is a lot of placeholder images, but overall it just felt okay anyway. Graphics and sound were OK as well. Nothing too amazing, but nothing too bad either. 6/10

Whispered Promises ~ 14 Days of Love with Anna - 7 minutes. This seems like an alright visual novel/simulation game. You raise stats and spend spring break with your girlfriend. Lots of 18+ moments, although I didn’t reach any yet. Decent graphics and voice work as well. 6.5/10

Wholesome Monster Girl Academia - 43 minutes completed demo. Honestly it’s a pretty interesting visual novel about a guy who gets kicked out of school and starts attending Catholic school. There is a lot of Catholic stuff, but it’s not too heavy handed. Honestly this game has about monster people being in the world and the school and religion embracing them. Really it’s about a guy trying to figure out what to do and of course has some romance with monster girls as well. I wish it had voices, but the music and graphics were nice. I enjoyed this one enough and would likely pick it up on sale. 7.5/10

YOHANE THE PARHELION -BLAZE in the DEEPBLUE- - 13 minutes defeated first boss. This is a Metroidvania anime graphical style pixelly game. It controls and plays alright but is kind of boring. Everything drops something so lots of crafting stuff is there, but you have very little slots, so you just end up using better stated items. There is a kind of summoning/attack system, and it’s okay, but nothing special. This seemed really generic, and seems like something I’d only get bundled. Just wasn’t exciting, although it played well. 6.5/10

Yolk Heroes - 3 minutes. Raising an egg yolk hero with Gameboy graphics. It is OK for what it is, but I really didn’t want to play a raising a baby simulator. I think eventually you get some RPG battles and such. Great music and believable GB graphics though. 6/10

I have two pages of one line reviews and still have 55 demoes left to try...

Overall the NextFest didn't have many highs nor as many truly awful lows, IMO.

I was just making my monthly review of this thread to find out who died recently and I was sorely disappointed to see one missed.

N9eUoSk.gif

1452783646-showbiz-alan-rickman-and-michael-gambon.jpg

I'm specifically referring to the one of the left. But the one on the right is dead too.

End of Next Fest Demo Dump™

So this Next Fest featured a lot of repeats, so I suppose you've already had your chance to consider those titles.  I think the highs aren't as high, and the lows aren't as low, so it's "mid," but not in a negative way.

There's at least over 100 demos that caught my eye to at least try.  I got through 79, with 52 left to go.  Lot's of longer ones this time.  I will highlight top at the end, with a bit more commentary on the "bigger" titles, too.

Green is good, yellow is mellow, red is dead.
Every Day We Fight – Early alpha demo, but I think it has opportunity; just too fiddly right now
Lamplighter League – Just missing the flair; Shadow Gambit is $10 cheaper, get that
Broken Roads – Australian Fallout; really whips the camel’s ass
Soulslinger – its got a skeleton pirate trader… an FPS roguelike in Unreal 5; its pretty, also pretty jank
Dungeons 4 – I look forward to backlogging this in the future; it’s another one!
Need for Cheese – It’s not very gouda or Swing and a Swiss!
Solium Infernum – Completely adversarial hell strategy game; feels like a very slow board game
Passageway of the Ancients – Too early for its own good, tedious CRPG
Anima Flux – Who puts the main attack on R1 for a 2D character action game? No remap capabilities
Biomorph – Solid metroidvania with Newgrounds flash game vibes for the artstyle
Tower of Kalemonvo – Diablo 1 at home, but going up versus down
Sharded World – Sharted World
Turf Wars: A Snail Escape – Splatoon-based roguelite; has potential, but a bit frustrating to me
Slay the Princess – Excellent interactive story title, great voice acting and premise
The Use of Life – Great sort of pseudo dungeon crawler, turn based RPG (wait for finished game!)
Quartet – It’s a solid, indie JRPG; one of the PCs is a talking hippo
Fatermyth – Very Chinese story driving slay the spire, but not sure about deckbuilding?
Last Train Home – Some Czech perspectives of the “Great War”; a functional RTS (w/pause)
Enshrouded – ‘Nother one of those survival games that run like butt, but this one looks fun
The Inquisitor – putting the jank in EuroJank; Witcher 2.5 meets angry Christ investigations!
The Awakener: Forgotten Oath – A highly proficient, yet janky rogue/souls-like title
FatalZone – Permadeath roguelike; might be interesting
Little Goody Two Shoes – Artstyle is doing some heavy lifting, but $20 feels just right
Gunhead – Solid, but feels late to the party for this style of game; level design needs work
Fretless - The Wrath of Riffson – Music themed card game RPG, s’alright; sounds better than looks
Silent Hope – It’s a cheap action RPG dungeon crawler; I’m in for

Reply to above:

About Robocop: Rogue City - ain't tried it yet, but would it be fair to compare it say to Deus Ex HR & MD and Cyberpunk 2077?

It just looks like that sort of shooter-RPG/action hybrid game, from what I've seen in previews.

Reply to above:

About Robocop: Rogue City - ain't tried it yet, but would it be fair to compare it say to Deus Ex HR & MD and Cyberpunk 2077?

It just looks like that sort of shooter-RPG/action hybrid game, from what I've seen in previews.
It's not that Immersive Sim, but it does have an open~ish map you can trudge around picking up side quests, leveling up your various RoboParts, use your Detective Vision™ to find clues (and DRUGS).

Oh, and you have dialog trees, and can be as COP or NOT COP as you want to be.

It's the same dev as Terminator: Resistance, so it's likely going to be a solid B game, but wouldn't be on the level of Deus Ex or Cyberpunk.

It's also mega buggy. Two crashes in a demo, many posts in the Steam discussions about them, too.

Reply to above:

To add to this it is likely around 10% RPG, 30% exploration/investigation/side quests and the rest action/adventure shooting missions. The RPG stuff is some skills you can invest in and a very, very basic conversation system with different choices. The open areas are more means to reach the main missions but have some side missions as well. They're very densely populated and a bit boring. Robocop feels very much like a maybe 2010 title. It's like something that would be on a PS3 with a minor open area to explore and some main mission to further along the story. I'm not sure of an accurate title to compare it to, but maybe Deus Ex: Invisible War except with an even lesser world to explore.

I didn't experience crashes myself, but I did experience the super slow moving around. The running is kind of like a slow sprint in other games, and so far there was no driving in the open world city I played. I also don't believe the pistol is the best weapon, but it's very strong. I actually preferred the SMG. The assault rifle felt clunky, but decent. I'm probably being nicer to the game, as Robocop (the original) is one of my favorite movies I've seen a lot of times. I do feel it will be a solid 6-7/10 average game, but like I put in my own mini review, it's a bundle tier game and likely will be at the top of a bundle someday.

Sounds like it's a blast & right up my alley, even if it ain't on the Deus Ex OG/HR/MD levels or CP 2077.

How big's the Demo? Maybe I'll go check it out.

EDIT - I always thought Deus Ex: IW wasn't great, but still solid...even despite its numerous design issues (unified ammo, smaller chopped up areas, lots of load times, crummier inventory set-up and UI, etc.). My biggest problem w/ that game is running it smoothly and stable on modern PC's is not easy; it's a total crap-show and I'd wish someone would move it to a better version of that (Unreal) engine or another engine.

bread's done
Back