Steam Deals Thread V11 ~ Let's move along, people...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNinjaSquirrel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Seemed about time for a new thread, so here it is. Welcome to the Steam Deals Thread V11!

Daily Deal
Luftrausers - $9.99 $5.99

Yesterday's Deal
Metro: Last Light Complete Edition - $19.99 $9.99
Metro 2033 - $14.99 $3.74

Weekend Deals
Europa Universalis IV - $39.99 $9.99
Europa Universalis IV Extreme Edition - $44.99 $11.24 [customspoiler=DLC][/customspoiler]
Europa Universalis III Collection - 39.99 9.99
Europa Universalis III Complete - 14.99 3.74 [customspoiler=DLC][/customspoiler]
Europa Universalis: Rome - Gold Edition - 9.99 2.49
PAYDAY 2 - 29.99 9.99 [customspoiler=DLC][/customspoiler]
PAYDAY™ The Heist - 14.99 4.99 [customspoiler=DLC][/customspoiler]

Midweek Madness
Audiosurf 2 - $14.99 $8.99
Audiosurf - $9.99 $2.49
XCOM Complete - $49.99 $24.99 [customspoiler=Includes][/customspoiler][/customspoiler]
Painkiller Complete Pack - $69.99 $13.99 [customspoiler=Includes][/customspoiler][/customspoiler]

Weeklong Deals
Pool Nation - $9.99 $1.49
Booster Trooper - $4.99 $0.74
Zeno Clash - $9.99 $1.99
Thunder Wolves - $9.99 $1.99
Alien Breed™ Trilogy - $22.99 $11.49 [customspoiler=Includes][/customspoiler]
Two Worlds II - $19.99 $4.99 [customspoiler=DLC][/customspoiler]
Titan Quest - Immortal Throne - $14.99 $3.74
Titan Quest - $14.99 $3.74
Sine Mora - $9.99 $2.49
Primal Carnage - $14.99 $3.74
Mirror's Edge™ - $19.99 $4.99
Hard Truck Apocalypse / Ex Machina - $7.99 $1.99
Guncraft - $14.99 $3.74
Expeditions: Conquistador - $19.99 $4.99
Alien Spidy - $9.99 $2.49
Violett - $9.99 $2.99
Dark Matter - $14.99 $4.49
Survivor Squad - $8.99 $2.96
Victoria II - $19.99 $6.79
Star Trek - $14.99 $5.09
Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition - $14.99 $5.09
Tiny Troopers - $4.99 $2.49
Spate - $9.99 $4.99
SimCity™ 4 Deluxe Edition - $19.99 $9.99
Litil Divil - $9.99 $4.99
Last Dream - $9.99 $4.99
KickBeat Steam Edition - $9.99 $4.99
Euro Truck Simulator 2 - $39.99 $19.99
Dead Space Pack - $34.99 $8.74 [customspoiler=Includes][/customspoiler]
Earthworm Jim Collection - $19.99 $9.99
Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension - $34.99 $17.49
Desert Thunder - $9.99 $4.99
Construction Machines 2014 - $14.99 $7.49
Tower of Guns - $14.99 $8.24
PlayClaw - Game Video Recorder - $49.99 $29.99
Vox - $9.99 $7.49
Obscure II (Obscure: The Aftermath) - $9.99 $7.49
Obscure - $6.99 $5.24
Action Indie Pack - $14.99 $1.49
Geneforge Saga - $19.99 $3.99

Miscellaneous Deals (end time varies)
Cloudbuilt - $19.99 $9.19
Titan Quest Gold - $19.99 $4.99
Football Manager 2014 - $49.99 $12.5
Dracula Trilogy - $19.99 $9.99 [customspoiler=Includes][/customspoiler]
The Wolf Among Us - $24.99 $16.74
MXGP - $39.99 $25.19
FX Eleven - $19.99 $9.99
Franchise Hockey Manager 2014 - $39.99 $19.99
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons - $14.99 $6.00

Thread under construction, more to be added shortly...

Thanks to EastX, Detruire, Psydero, and everyone else that has contributed to the thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems my computer is blocking it for some reason… in both in mac os and windows 7 under bootcamp, regardless of browser choice. Site worked fine at my school computer.
Try getting a friend to register for you. I believe all the personal info you need to put is your name, your steam id and your profile name.

Try getting a friend to register for you. I believe all the personal info you need to put is your name, your steam id and your profile name.
No worries, I did it on my school computer. Still… I've never had the issue before. I may have to ask my tech friend if he has any idea what could be causing it.

No worries, I did it on my school computer. Still… I've never had the issue before. I may have to ask my tech friend if he has any idea what could be causing it.
Could be a DNS issue (I've had this issue before and that's usually what caused it), you might try:

Fix 3: Clear DNS Cache – The DNS cache keeps a record of sites that you have recently visited on your computer. If that gets corrupted, you may have issues opening sites that were previously accessible without problems.

Type cmd /k ipconfig /displaydns in the Run window to see the cache entries. If that unreachable website is listed in the cache, type cmd /k ipconfig /flushdns to clear the cache.

http://www.labnol.org/software/computer-cannot-open-internet-websites/2116/

so whatever happened to snakeybro? it's like he's gone into hiding since tebow got excommunicated
We FakeCAG shamed him enough that he only does the occasional pop-in in the PSN thread now.

original.gif

http://positech.co.uk/cliffsblog/2014/03/20/we-need-to-talk-about-unplayed-games/

stop me if you heard this one before. a dev who makes games he rarely puts on sale writes about why sales are bad. some of his points are.. it devalues game launches, especially multiplayer ones. it inclines people to buy games based off price instead of (perceived) quality. it makes finishing games less important. anyways interesting read if you enjoyed the Castle Doctrine's dev's article.

http://positech.co.uk/cliffsblog/2014/03/20/we-need-to-talk-about-unplayed-games/

stop me if you heard this one before. a dev who makes games he rarely puts on sale writes about why sales are bad. some of his points are.. it devalues game launches, especially multiplayer ones. it inclines people to buy games based off price instead of (perceived) quality. it makes finishing games less important. anyways interesting read if you enjoyed the Castle Doctrine's dev's article.
Is this the Redshirt dev? Funny that he brings this up when he put his game in a Groupees bundle for less than a dollar (when you split the cost of the other games).

HA, i just noticed that. i guess if you asked him he'll say it was for charity or something similar. i wonder if devs view putting their games in bundles the same as putting them on sale outright. i've heard the money they make from bundles isn't much at all, so there might be some ulterior motive to it...

HA, i just noticed that. i guess if you asked him he'll say it was for charity or something similar. i wonder if devs view putting their games in bundles the same as putting them on sale outright. i've heard the money they make from bundles isn't much at all, so there might be some ulterior motive to it...
The Ultionus dev complained about how little money he made and never mentioned charity, so at least some devs that participated in that bundle weren't in it completely for charity.

I think it's ridiculous this dev didn't mention bundles in his blog post, as they devalue games much more than sales do IMO, of course some devs try to excuse this by claiming the attention from the bundle gets them more purchases on Steam. In this case, I'm not sure if that'd be true anyway.. since Redshirt has a high MSRP on Steam.

Hmmmm, future education software bundle item?

header_292x136.jpg

Influent is a Language Learning Game, focusing primarily on vocabulary acquisition and pronunciation. It is truly awesome.

Portal being too long confirmed.

portal.png
I can't take credit for all that time. My oldest son has been using using my Steam account lately. I haven't played a game in months.

I will freely admit to embarrassing time totals in games. The worst is my 150+ hours in KoA on Origin- without the FOV mod. And I haven't beat it, or touched the DLC.

It kills off game launches. That thing where everyone plays the latest game doesn’t happen so much now. [...] You don’t get that ‘water cooler moment’ where everyone talks about a game.

I'm an adult and work in a place where no one is talking around the water cooler about the latest game anyway. Popular franchises still generate the same forum chatter (Dark Souls 2, Skyrim, BSI, etc)

It’s a step away from selling based on quality. When a game is in a one-day 75% off sale, how much research do you do before buying? Did you watch a lets play? the trailer? did you read any reviews?

I don't do a ton of research even when buying (rarely) at full price. But it should seem obvious that my research efforts would be commensurate to my potential loss. I'll dig up reviews and data on a $250 appliance or a $20k car. $5-$25 video games?... not so worried. A couple people here saying "I liked it" is generally good enough to take the chance.

We are handing power to people who run sales. If anyone can sell $50,000 in a day with any game just by being on the front page of a sale, then that makes the people who manage the sale webpage the kingmakers.

I don't buy games purely based on their page placement so this doesn't affect me. This seems more a worry for the publishers who aren't on the front page and trying to make it "my problem" so I worry about it.

We devalue games. We expect games to be $5. We don’t ‘invest’ money in them, so we give up and discard them at the first time we lose, or when we get confused or stuck.

This is 100% fine by me. They're video games. They're disposable entertainment. I like Netflix because if a movie sucks, I don't feel any obligation to finish it, I just get another movie. I like game sales because if a game sucks, I don't feel like I need to get my $50 out of it. Set it aside and move on to the next game. If a game is good, I'll continue to press through it even when I get stuck because I'm enjoying the game.

We don’t play beyond the first 10%. There is not a single game in my steam collection I’ve finished. Not ONE.

That's his issue, not mine. I complete games all the time. The ones I don't complete often didn't deserve completion.

Now, I do agree that the sales culture probably went overboard there for a while and the whole "Publisher put a game on sale and made 10x his profit!" turned into "Let's put every game on infinite sale and make infinite dollars!" somehow. And, naturally, that didn't quite work and I think most people would agree that they've pulled back considerably on a lot of the deep discounting. Doesn't do me any immediate favors but it's possibly healthier for the publishers if people don't think "New game? Wait three weeks for 75% off". Still, none of his arguments to convince me that the sales are directly hurting me are very compelling.

GetGamesGo is having the following sales:

Assassin's Creed sale, up to 75% off. (Edit: Nevermind, unavailable in the US)
Games include:
  • Assassin's Creed 3 Deluxe Edition - $14.99 (75% off)
  • Assassin's Creed - $4.99 (75% off)
  • Assassin's Creed Brotherhood Deluxe Edition - $7.49 (75% off)
  • Assassin's Creed II Deluxe Edition - $4.99(75% off)
  • Assassin's Creed Brotherhood - $4.99 (75% off)
  • Assassin's Creed Revelations - $5.62 (75% off)
  • Assassin's Creed Revelations - Mediterranean - $2.49 (75% off)
  • Assassin's Creed Revelations Gold Edition - $9.99 (75% off)
  • Assassin's Creed 3 - $7.49 (75% off)
  • Assassin's Creed Liberation HD - $11.99 (40% off)
  • Assassin's Creed 3 - The Battle Hardened Pack - $2.49 (75% off)
  • Assassin's Creed 3 - The Betrayal - $1.99 (75% off)
  • Assassin's Creed 3 - The Infamy - $2.49 (75% off)
  • Assassin's Creed 3 - The Redemption - $2.49 (75% off)
  • Assassin's Creed 3 - The Hidden Secrets Pack - $1.24 (75% off)
  • Assassin's Creed Revelations - The Lost Archive - $2.49 (75% off)
  • Assassin's Creed®: IV Black Flag™ - $35.99 (40% off)
  • Assassin's Creed®: IV Black Flag™ Deluxe Edition - $41.99 (40% off)
  • Assassin's Creed®: IV Black Flag™ Season Pass - $17.99 (10% off)
All require uPlay, except AC1 and AC:Brotherhood which give a generic keycode(?).

The Elder Scrolls sale, up to 66% off.
Games include:

• The Elder Scrolls: Online Imperial Edition PC / MAC PreOrder - $67.99 (15% off)
  • The Elder Scrolls: Online PC / MAC PreOrder - $50.99 (15% off)
  • The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind GOTY - $6.79 (66% off)
  • The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion GOTY - $7.47 (66% off)
  • The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion GOTY Deluxe - $9.99 (60% off)
  • The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - $19.79 (34% off)
  • The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Legendary Edition - $29.99 (50% off)
All but TES:Online activate on Steam.

NBA2k sale, up to 75% off:
Games include:

• NBA2K13 - $4.99 (75% off)
  • NBA2K14 - $10.19 (66% off)
Activate on Steam.

Daily Deal

• Typing of the Dead: Overkill - $6.79 (66% off)
  • Typing of the Dead: Overkill -Thy Filthy Love Collection - $8.49 (66% off)
Activate on Steam.

GetGamesGo Ubisoft sales are not available in the US.
Well that was all for naught, thanks for the heads up. I did add all of them to cart and went through the checkout process to see what happens. Most were removed, but three slipped through to the payment step, if anybody wanted to buy these, though can't be sure they aren't still region locked.

• Assassin's Creed Revelations - The Lost Archive
  • Assassin's Creed Revelations - Mediterranean
  • Assassin's Creed Revelations Gold

On a completely unrelated note, an interesting read about Dark Souls II and the downgrade. The source Forbes talked to believes they designed it around the PC and then realized last minute that the consoles couldn't keep up.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2014/03/20/dark-souls-ii-was-unplayable-and-broken-on-consoles-before-graphics-downgrade/
Doesn't surprise me at all. After the botched PC port of the first game , they said Dark Souls 2 would have PC as its lead platform (as in the one mainly developed for, with the 360/PS3 release being ports of that). I'm guessing they completely underestimated how well consoles would run it (which isn't unreasonable, the tech is pretty old now). The FPS issues of the PS3 version and the screentearing in the 360 version all but confirm this. Would have been better as a PS4/Xbone title but they wanted the bigger install base for more money (not that that's wrong of them to want).

Would ALSO explain the lack of a release date for the PC version and the staggered release. The point is to get people to double-dip on a much worse version because the PC version's going to blow it away. If it had a simultaneous release, they would lose out on too much money (not defending this though, that's pretty greedy of them).

Edit: The PC release date was announced on March 6th, it'll be out April 25th. Still a pretty late announcement.

It kills off game launches. That thing where everyone plays the latest game doesn’t happen so much now. [...] You don’t get that ‘water cooler moment’ where everyone talks about a game.

I'm an adult and work in a place where no one is talking around the water cooler about the latest game anyway. Popular franchises still generate the same forum chatter (Dark Souls 2, Skyrim, BSI, etc)
Those "water cooler moments" are still happening. I've been talking a ton about LUFTRAUSERS lately with people and having a great time. Dark Souls 2 just launched. It happened with Fez. That phrase is typically linked to TV shows. It doesn't happen with everything though and I don't think it's necessary linked to being very popular the same way I don't think it's linked to games being huge sellers. I don't think a lot of people are discussing this week's NCIS episode, but that's a popular show with great ratings. It goes for things like True Detective, Twin Peaks, Breaking Bad etc. which generally have smaller, niche audiences anyway. Even then, I've never seen anyone on my twitter feed, who do go on about shows like the ones I mentioned, say anything about Orphan Black which has the kinds of strange and shocking events that people like to discuss. It's just not popular enough even though it's pretty well made. Not everything can get big. This isn't something specific or new to games or something that has risen up because of the way steep discounts have become an expectation.

There are over 20 new games on Steam this week. Even if no one was waiting for sales, which of those indie games would end up dominating game discussion and have that "water cooler moment" as he says? If all 20+ got equal attention none would be experiencing a "water cooler moment." If there was just one standout that everyone was playing, and Redshirt launched this week, I can make a pretty good guess that it wouldn't be that one. Most of those games have already been pushed off the front page's initial load and will not be seen again by most until they've gone on sale. Discounts may kill of a lot of initial sales, but without them competition would probably make things much more final for the dev.

Discounts may kill of a lot of initial sales, but without them competition would probably make things much more final for the dev.
True. Discounts give a game an opportunity to "relaunch" when its initial offering went unnoticed. A solid discount gives people a chance to notice and re-evaluate the game.

I agree with everything said so far.  I'm sure there's a small group of gamers who will put off a purchase immediately because of the possibility of a future sale.  That said, we are still split into very distinct groups.  There's those that will buy a game immediately because they want to play it, those that will buy it at the first sign of a sale, those that will get it a X % off, and those that will wait for a bundle.

That's not really going to change no matter your pricing strategy.  If you never put it on sale only a small amount from the sale groups will purchase - those that have a strong interest in playing it.  The rest will just go without.  I'd say 90% of the games I've bought in a bundle I would have never bought otherwise and if it weren't for bundles I'd still be waiting for 75% off on a ton of games.  The games I really want I've found a way to buy.

I don't think he realizes the reality here.  Gamers don't react to sales, sales react to gamers.  If I set my price point for a game at 75%, it is because that's how much I think that particular game is worth.  

I also don't think he is taking into account how casual game sales are.  I mean things as superficial as box art can lead to a purchase.  

Maybe Positech should focus on, you know, making good games instead of Facebook simulators.
I was unfamiliar with the name and looked at the site. Don't think I own any of his games. Kudos 2 looked sort of amusing as a one-off -- the sort of thing I'd play a couple nights in a row (as I create train wreck characters) and then put away, never to touch again.

It's just basically horde mode CoD.
Silly Fox, CoD doesn't have robots and monsters, that's Titanfall. I can see how you could mistake the two though. :p

(Also Burn Zombie Burn was the horde mode part).

It was $10 or something like that. I missed it too by few minutes :(
Damn, I didn't even know I missed it. Now I'm sad. At that price, it could have been an Amnesia rip-off and I wouldn't have been too upset.

The devs specifically name drop Silent Hill 3 and take about what they learned from it in the interview soooo I'm hoping that means they know what they're doing (as opposed to a namedrop for hype like Amnesia or Slender or something).

OMG @ 28 GB download for Payday 2 on Free Weekend.

Of course, that got nothing on the Titanfall PC download of 49.9 GB.
How many floppies is that? In cubic feet?

I'm getting about 6.4 MB per sec on this download for Payday 2 on the free weekend.

Interesting enough, DL is only 7.9 GB. I wonder if that's compressed or what.

I wonder if install-folder once it's all said and done, will be the 29 GB it was saying it was gonna be when I first selected to download + install it.

We'll see.
Poor baby... I get one tenth of that... 25 GBs takes me ~10 hours. It takes you ~1 hour.

Isn't having a signal range that wide a bad thing? Leaves your network more vulnerable, I would think.

Have fun "playing D3" you two. Don't they make such a cute couple?
Your network security should not be based on physical range... WPA2 (turn off that one-touch-setup security hole) is presently very strong. Your vulnerabilities atm will be in your firmware.

Wow, colour me impressed. I didn't mean to insult your credentials/imply you were stupid or anything, it was a sincere question. My network security is as flimsy as those locks sold with little girl's diaries compared to that. (Not that I have any experience breaking into little girl's diaries...)
The locks on your front door aren't much better. They keep honest people honest.

On a completely unrelated note, an interesting read about Dark Souls II and the downgrade. The source Forbes talked to believes they designed it around the PC and then realized last minute that the consoles couldn't keep up.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2014/03/20/dark-souls-ii-was-unplayable-and-broken-on-consoles-before-graphics-downgrade/
PC Game graphically trumps console version. 'nuff said. (And seriously, I though they were thinking PS4/XB1 not PS3/360.)

Your network security should not be based on physical range... WPA2 (turn off that one-touch-setup security hole) is presently very strong. Your vulnerabilities atm will be in your firmware.

The locks on your front door aren't much better. They keep honest people honest.
So my current WPA security is no good? Good to know. I guess that would explain why my ISP sent me a letter about downloading illegal horse porn.

And how do YOU know about the locks on my front door, hmm? :p If you wanted to break in, and kidnap me, all you had to do was ask. (Joke's on you, you can't even get in through the front door because it has lots of construction shit in front of it, I use the side door.)

And how do YOU know about the locks on my front door, hmm? :p If you wanted to break in, and kidnap me, all you had to do was ask. (Joke's on you, you can't even get in through the front door because it has lots of construction shit in front of it, I use the side door.)
Do you live in an unfinished house?

Cart Life has been removed from Steam (boo!) but is now free and open source. The website, naturally, is currently down. Pretty cool of the developer to make it free and all, though I wish it could've stayed on Steam as a free game like Super Crate Box or Heroine's Quest.

Do you live in an unfinished house?
You could say that. The roof's being redone, because it was made 50 years ago and not properly maintained in the slightest so lots of water damage, termite damage, etc., and the walls affected by said water damage are being replaced and repainted.

Work is finally being done on the place because Hurricane Sandy made a tree take a nap on the place (didn't fall, just kinda leaned on it), and the pouring rain exacerbated the previous damage, so the insurance has been coughing up enough money for repairs (after some legal mumbojumbo, took ages to happen) so the landlord just said fuck it and is fixing up whatever he feels like.

The best part of it is that I rent, so I'm not paying a dime (it's a duplex thingy), and I already have a lease (and I'm friendly with the owner) so I won't see rent increases. It's pretty good, even if I have to live with living in a WIP house for a while.

Cart Life has been removed from Steam (boo!) but is now free and open source. The website, naturally, is currently down. Pretty cool of the developer to make it free and all, though I wish it could've stayed on Steam as a free game like Super Crate Box or Heroine's Quest.
So instead of fixing the game (the forum is full of bug reports) he just pulled it and made it open source?

Mentioning that game just makes me bitter about missing Amazon sales glitch. If I could unlike your post, I totally would. Nothing personal, you understand... just spite and poison.
It was $10 or something like that. I missed it too by few minutes :(
I too am bitter about missing that 'deal'. I was even online and in that thread when it got posted but I was busy replying to someone about dogs scooting of all things. :wall:

So instead of fixing the game (the forum is full of bug reports) he just pulled it and made it open source?
That was the impression I got. Of course that doesn't help the people who already bought it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back