Steam Deals Thread V11 ~ Let's move along, people...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNinjaSquirrel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Seemed about time for a new thread, so here it is. Welcome to the Steam Deals Thread V11!

Daily Deal
Luftrausers - $9.99 $5.99

Yesterday's Deal
Metro: Last Light Complete Edition - $19.99 $9.99
Metro 2033 - $14.99 $3.74

Weekend Deals
Europa Universalis IV - $39.99 $9.99
Europa Universalis IV Extreme Edition - $44.99 $11.24 [customspoiler=DLC][/customspoiler]
Europa Universalis III Collection - 39.99 9.99
Europa Universalis III Complete - 14.99 3.74 [customspoiler=DLC][/customspoiler]
Europa Universalis: Rome - Gold Edition - 9.99 2.49
PAYDAY 2 - 29.99 9.99 [customspoiler=DLC][/customspoiler]
PAYDAY™ The Heist - 14.99 4.99 [customspoiler=DLC][/customspoiler]

Midweek Madness
Audiosurf 2 - $14.99 $8.99
Audiosurf - $9.99 $2.49
XCOM Complete - $49.99 $24.99 [customspoiler=Includes][/customspoiler][/customspoiler]
Painkiller Complete Pack - $69.99 $13.99 [customspoiler=Includes][/customspoiler][/customspoiler]

Weeklong Deals
Pool Nation - $9.99 $1.49
Booster Trooper - $4.99 $0.74
Zeno Clash - $9.99 $1.99
Thunder Wolves - $9.99 $1.99
Alien Breed™ Trilogy - $22.99 $11.49 [customspoiler=Includes][/customspoiler]
Two Worlds II - $19.99 $4.99 [customspoiler=DLC][/customspoiler]
Titan Quest - Immortal Throne - $14.99 $3.74
Titan Quest - $14.99 $3.74
Sine Mora - $9.99 $2.49
Primal Carnage - $14.99 $3.74
Mirror's Edge™ - $19.99 $4.99
Hard Truck Apocalypse / Ex Machina - $7.99 $1.99
Guncraft - $14.99 $3.74
Expeditions: Conquistador - $19.99 $4.99
Alien Spidy - $9.99 $2.49
Violett - $9.99 $2.99
Dark Matter - $14.99 $4.49
Survivor Squad - $8.99 $2.96
Victoria II - $19.99 $6.79
Star Trek - $14.99 $5.09
Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition - $14.99 $5.09
Tiny Troopers - $4.99 $2.49
Spate - $9.99 $4.99
SimCity™ 4 Deluxe Edition - $19.99 $9.99
Litil Divil - $9.99 $4.99
Last Dream - $9.99 $4.99
KickBeat Steam Edition - $9.99 $4.99
Euro Truck Simulator 2 - $39.99 $19.99
Dead Space Pack - $34.99 $8.74 [customspoiler=Includes][/customspoiler]
Earthworm Jim Collection - $19.99 $9.99
Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension - $34.99 $17.49
Desert Thunder - $9.99 $4.99
Construction Machines 2014 - $14.99 $7.49
Tower of Guns - $14.99 $8.24
PlayClaw - Game Video Recorder - $49.99 $29.99
Vox - $9.99 $7.49
Obscure II (Obscure: The Aftermath) - $9.99 $7.49
Obscure - $6.99 $5.24
Action Indie Pack - $14.99 $1.49
Geneforge Saga - $19.99 $3.99

Miscellaneous Deals (end time varies)
Cloudbuilt - $19.99 $9.19
Titan Quest Gold - $19.99 $4.99
Football Manager 2014 - $49.99 $12.5
Dracula Trilogy - $19.99 $9.99 [customspoiler=Includes][/customspoiler]
The Wolf Among Us - $24.99 $16.74
MXGP - $39.99 $25.19
FX Eleven - $19.99 $9.99
Franchise Hockey Manager 2014 - $39.99 $19.99
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons - $14.99 $6.00

Thread under construction, more to be added shortly...

Thanks to EastX, Detruire, Psydero, and everyone else that has contributed to the thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanted to laugh at this but am I the only one who felt sorry for the developer of Yet Another Zombie Defense? He gave away thousands of copies during his game release and the game only cost like $1.13 if you get a 2 pack. That reviewer probably got it for free, played for 10 minutes and is trashing the game like that. :roll:
If it makes you feel any better, I played it for an hour and then proceeded to trash it.

Yet Another Zombie Defense steam keys are up on Indie Royale if you have the Golden Jubilee bundle.

It'll be under "Amazing Zombie Defense"

If it makes you feel any better, I played it for an hour and then proceeded to trash it.
You made some valid points in your review and I do agree with what you said but was it really necessary to kick a man when he's down? Most of us already knew the game didn't live up to any standards.

Internet is a harsh world and sometimes we tend to forget that these indie game developers are real people with feelings. I am not saying what you did is wrong, in fact I even gave a thumbs up for pointing out the flaws after reading your review. I don't usually probe into business like this, I just think that this developer is not a bad person and does not deserve so much outcry after giving so many copies of his game away. Perhaps we should show a humane side and give him a break sometimes. What goes around comes around, my friend.

You made some valid points in your review and I do agree with what you said but was it really necessary to kick a man when he's down? Most of us already knew the game didn't live up to any standards.

Internet is a harsh world and sometimes we tend to forget that these indie game developers are real people with feelings. I am not saying what you did is wrong, in fact I even gave a thumbs up for pointing out the flaws after reading your review. I don't usually probe into business like this, I just think that this developer is not a bad person and does not deserve so much outcry after giving so many copies of his game away. Perhaps we should show a humane side and give him a break sometimes. What goes around comes around, my friend.
Valid points, though I would separate the man (or woman) from the product. The game deserves its fair criticism and I would expect any mature adult to be able to understand and handle that, as painful as that may/can be. The person behind the product should be treated as a separate entity.

Valid points, though I would separate the man (or woman) from the product. The game deserves its fair criticism and I would expect any mature adult to be able to understand and handle that, as painful as that may/can be. The person behind the product should be treated as a separate entity.
Well said, exactly this. This is the same reason why I can enjoy a game like Fez, while simultaneously thinking Phil Fish is a giant prick. :bouncy:

In case he is wondering...  :whistle2:k

fKUbjOR.jpg

2SjoumW.jpg

I wanted to laugh at this but am I the only one who felt sorry for the developer of Yet Another Zombie Defense? He gave away thousands of copies during his game release and the game only cost like $1.13 if you get a 2 pack. That reviewer probably got it for free, played for 10 minutes and is trashing the game like that. :roll:
It looks like one of the worst games on steam, and the only reason it got on steam is because he gamed the greenlight system by giving it away for votes (which totally defeats the purpose of voting). The fact that he will make any money at all with his high school project should already be enough to make him ecstatic, so I can't feel that bad for him.

I understand what you're saying, and yes it sucks to receive (and sometimes give) so much criticism, but if I let things slide just to be nice to someone it doesn't help anyone. People reading the review don't get a valid opinion, the developer doesn't get constructive criticism to help when he's developing future games, and I lose what little credibility I had as a reviewer.

I had a similar situation when I reviewed Journal a few months ago. The developer seemed like an awesome person from the few emails we exchanged, but the game he made was just not up to snuff and my review reflected that. I hated having to pan it so badly, but I'm not going to lie just to protect someone's feelings. If you make something and put it out for other people to see/play/hear, you're inevitably going to get criticism, sometimes overwhelming amounts, but that's just the way the world is and the best thing to do is use that criticism to fix things or create something better in the future.

And thank you for the thumbs up, I do appreciate it.

It looks like one of the worst games on steam, and the only reason it got on steam is because he gamed the greenlight system by giving it away for votes (which totally defeats the purpose of voting). The fact that he will make any money at all with his high school project should already be enough to make him ecstatic, so I can't feel that bad for him.
Almost every greenlit game has gamed the system.

The game is bad, but its nowhere near being one of the worst games on Steam. At least its playable..

I can assure he doesn't give a shit. The first time this thing is on sale, tons of steam count hoarders are going to snap it up solely because it's under a buck. He's going to make a tidy profit versus his time and effort spent "developing & marketing" this shovelware. That's why they do these dumb giveaways, vote for me, bribe schemes. The initial freebies are nothing compared to the easy money these cheapo trash titles make just for people to pad their steamcount.

Having said that, allow me to further devalue his product:

GCL5D-IM6VC-2HJNQ

Why does anyone care if a game is bad? No one here at CAG actually plays the games they buy. It's all about the Steam backlog. That how I can sleep at night knowing I own Secret of the Magic Crystal (Works on SteamOS!)

BTW: Thanks Bruticis, I "spodered" that game

Why does anyone care if a game is bad? No one here at CAG actually plays the games they buy. It's all about the Steam backlog. That how I can sleep at night knowing I own Secret of the Magic Crystal (Works on SteamOS!)

BTW: Thanks Bruticis, I "spodered" that game
Can't tell if joking because not Comic Sans. :bouncy:

Not a big lost.

Maybe Microsoft should think about not screwing over PC gamers first with their GFWL (and then closing it down leaving the games with the dumb DRM intact SOL) before thinking about bring over a "console shooter" series to PC.
I disagree that it's a big loss - b/c it's a popular game series; and a well-loved one on the XBox for many of their fans.

And especially it's a loss for us - since both Halo 1 + 2 were already ported to the PC.

Some of us gamers - yeah, we don't do console gaming....just like me.

I think it should be up to each company to remove and/or disable G4WL game-client program, DRM, and any other crap in their own games that prevent the game itself from being preserved from existing in the future.

This goes for Microsoft, Capcom, From Software, and anybody else you can think of having PC games using G4WL.

And if a game company won't do so - I wouldn't be surprised if the mod-community worked their magic to unofficially remove the DRM, game-client, or any of that stuff. I'd rather have that than nothing, TBH.

And no doubt about it - Microsoft should've supported G4WL a lot better on the PC; and overhauled it years ago. You'd think they would've, given the fact that it was on their own OS, Windows - you'd think they'd kind of have a foot in the door here. But, this is Microsoft - and they pretty much can screw-up anything (see G4WL, Win ME, Win 8 launch, XBox One originally being always online, etc). And maybe if they even tried a little bit to even put up some kind of fight w/ Valve - they'd be a position more like that of Origin, instead of having a failing PC-service like G4WL. I don't think anybody was going to have the steam to stop Steam's freight-train of insane success on the PC, anyways.

Really? I don't think the majority of greenlit games game the system. There are definitely a bunch that do, though.

Unless you mean appearing in a bundle automatically means they're gaming the system.. which may or may not be the intention.
Between promises of free games and joining bundles a ton of them game the system. Not sure why there's particular backlash against this dev.

I just played it for a bit, single and MP. I mean it's not the best game ever but far from the worst. Not sure why some people compare it to a high school project (unless it was one and in that case a good one).

The game has some cool ideas. The light post thing is kind of neat. It is repetitive and could use some help in power ups and weapons and some change in the backgrounds would be good between nights, I think there's definitely potential.

Between promises of free games and joining bundles a ton of them game the system. Not sure why there's particular backlash against this dev.
There's probably not actually a backlash. I'm sure that oh so funny (based on his Steam name) guy gives shit reviews like that to a lot of games. The only backlash would be in here because someone tried to defend it, and people love being contrarian on the Internet (not talking about people who said "He seems like a nice guy, but I'm going to give it an honest review", completely different situation).

I can see how being in a bundle could be considered gaming the system (though I don't think ALL devs do it knowingly), and giving out free games for votes is definitely the worst way of gaming the system.

Unfortunately, I am a hypocrite here because I have voted for games promising to give out free keys (like the games being promoted on that Steam group linked earlier), and for games that have been in bundles. I try to only do this for games that I enjoy/find interesting, but I'd be lying if I said my standards for quality weren't affected by the offer..

But at least I am definitely not alone in this, especially on this website. :bouncy:

I disagree that it's a big loss - b/c it's a popular game series; and a well-loved one on the XBox for many of their fans.
And especially it's a loss for us - since both Halo 1 + 2 were already ported to the PC.
Some of us gamers - yeah, we don't do console gaming....just like me.

I think it should be up to each company to remove and/or disable G4WL game-client program, DRM, and any other crap in their own games that prevent the game itself from being preserved from existing in the future.

And if they a game company won't do so - I wouldn't be surprised if the mod-community worked their magic to unofficially remove the DRM, game-client, or any of that stuff.
This goes for Microsoft, Capcom, From Software, and anybody else you can think of using G4WL.

And no doubt about it - Microsoft should've supported G4WL a lot better on the PC; and overhauled it years ago. You'd think they would've, given the fact that it was on their own OS, Windows - you'd think they'd kind of have a foot in the door here. But, this is Microsoft - and they pretty much can screw-up anything. And maybe if they even tried a little bit to even put up some kind of fight w/ Valve - they'd be a position more like that of Origin, instead of having a failing PC-service like G4wL. I don't think anybody was going to have the steam to stop Steam's freight-train of insane success on the PC, anyways.
1) The "PC Community" already HAVE "mods" to remove GFWL (and any DRM) - They're called CRACKS and I don't like dealing with them if possible.

2) Halo 1 and 2 (especially Halo 2 on PC) were crappy ports on PC. Halo 2 on PC required Windows Vista (remember that OS?) because Microsoft want people to switch from XP. There was eventually a workaround to get Halo 2 on Xp, but again, it was a workaround.

3) Microsoft EVERY YEAR tells the press "how much they care about the PC market" but their actions clearly shows that their priorities are on XBOX (which it should given how much money they dumped on the Console Division). The fact that Halo 3 was never released on PC shows you how much people (& Microsoft) "cared" about Halo 1 and 2 on PC.

As much as I'm a PC guy, and have always played PC as well as consoles even when I was little, I don't know how you can really be a gamer and not "do consoles"... There are way too many vital classics you're missing.

As much as I'm a PC guy, and have always played PC as well as consoles even when I was little, I don't know how you can really be a gamer and not "do consoles"... There are way too many vital classics you're missing.
Simply put - I just haven't done them in years. After the original PSX - yeah, that was pretty much it for me w/ consoles.

I'm not a gamer who plays games exclusively on the PC. In fact, my gaming started with the Famicom and later PS2. If what you gathered from my post is that I "hate" console games, then you missed my point.

My point is that I strictly DO NOT LIKE how Microsoft treats the PC market given that the majority of all PC games are on Windows PC. They half-ass GFWL service and once they figured that GFWL was never going to work, they discontinued it burning PC gamers who purchased the games with GFWL (meanwhile, pirates who got rid of GFWL are laughing their asses off at everyone for buying PC games with such DRM).

If Microsoft really wants to get "back into PC," then they should put as much money, time, and effort as they do with the Xbox. Otherwise, stay away. I don't need half-ass ports of Halo.

1) The "PC Community" already HAVE "mods" to remove GFWL (and any DRM) - They're called CRACKS and I don't like dealing with them if possible.

2) Halo 1 and 2 (especially Halo 2 on PC) were crappy ports on PC. Halo 2 on PC required Windows Vista (remember that OS?) because Microsoft want people to switch from XP. There was eventually a workaround to get Halo 2 on Xp, but again, it was a workaround.

3) Microsoft EVERY YEAR tells the press "how much they care about the PC market" but their actions clearly shows that their priorities are on XBOX (which it should given how much money they dumped on the Console Division). The fact that Halo 3 was never released on PC shows you how much people (& Microsoft) "cared" about Halo 1 and 2 on PC.
1) While it would be nice if companies actually do support their games like a "service" (like they often say they will do - but really only do it for a limited time), they eventually do cut it off. Only in rare instances, do they not. Once game companies are done w/ their games, they really should do something w/ their games - i.e. remove DRM, game-client stuff, etc. I do really believe more companies should do like Carmack did w/ his games and release Source Code (especially if they are SP-based) - and let the community go hog-wild w/ fixing and keeping the game going, well after the dev's are done w/ it. I'd rather have the community keep the game active than nothing happening at all w/ it.

2) Yes, Halo 1 PC was NOT a good port. Ran like garbage on my PC, way back in the day. But, I'd rather have it here than not - especially if modders on their end did decide to fix and/or mod the game to keep it active. I wasn't fond of Halo 2 PC requiring Vista - and was one of the reasons back then for not buying it. Glad some modders had the audacity to get it going on XP, though - which is better than nothing. I know, it would be better to have official support - but, that didn't happen. Modders doing workaround is better than nothing at all, if you ask me.

3) Yes, Microsoft been really supporting their own XBox consoles...and neglecting the PC - everybody knows this. We see their PR garbage - even despite Windows being "their" OS. I would think that if Microsoft ever released all of the unreleased core Halo games to the PC, they'd sell well here. Seems kind of silly to bring some kind of side-game to Steam on the PC, yet have no plans to even bring old core Halo titles to the PC. If they really wanted to - they could port Halo re-releases to XBox first, then to PC later.

EDIT:

I'm not a gamer who plays games exclusively on the PC. In fact, my gaming started with the Famicom and later PS2. If what you gathered from my post is that I "hate" console games, then you missed my point.

My point is that I strictly DO NOT LIKE how Microsoft treats the PC market given that the majority of all PC games are on Windows PC. They half-ass GFWL service and once they figured that GFWL was never going to work, they discontinued it burning PC gamers who purchased the games with GFWL (meanwhile, pirates who got rid of GFWL are laughing their asses off at everyone for buying PC games with such DRM).

If Microsoft really wants to get "back into PC," then they should put as much money, time, and effort as they do with the Xbox. Otherwise, stay away. I don't need half-ass ports of Halo.
Microsoft wouldn't be the only one worth complaining about w/ how they have treated PC gamers over the years, in many ways - w/ how poor some of their PC ports and PC services have been.

But, I could point at numerous other companies for poor PC ports - such as Rockstar (probably except Max Payne 3 PC) and Rising Star Games (for Deadly Premonition PC).

EDIT 2:

From Software's port of Dark Souls: PTD is one of the most "basic" PC ports from a game-company that I've ever seen - but, at least it works out the box, which I can't always say the same from other games (i.e. see Bully PC port - God knows why it wouldn't work on my Win XP PC, but it worked on my Win 7 PC; go figure). Thank God for people like Durante, who fixed that Dark Souls PTD PC game - and also had the guts to work on Deadly Premonition PC, as well. And yes - I am so glad that both of these games are here on the PC.

EDIT 3:

Modders have kept a lot of older great games still alive to this very day - i.e. Duke Nukem 3D; Arcanum; Vampire: Bloodlines....and that's for starters.

The game is bad, but its nowhere near being one of the worst games on Steam. At least its playable..
Yeah, it's definitely not the worst game on Steam by any stretch. There's plenty of stuff on Steam without even counting Greenlight games that are much worst (Takedown, Rekoil, Infestation, etc).

Yeah, it's definitely not the worst game on Steam by any stretch. There's plenty of stuff on Steam without even counting Greenlight games that are much worst (Takedown, Rekoil, Infestation, etc).
All three of those seem leaps and bounds better to me, generic and buggy as they may be.

I'd like to think that Spartan Assault is one of those bullshit "toe in the water" moves to see how well Halo sells on PC nowadays (on Steam, now that GFWL is gone). Seriously.

The only other reason is because SA is already on Windows 8.. so it's much cheaper to put it on Steam compared to making a PC port of 3/Reach/4. Chances are if they ported anything to PC it'd either be 4 or 5 (because newest MP), you have to remember we're in the minority here in terms of the market.

All three of those seem leaps and bounds better to me, generic and buggy as they may be.
Takedown is the only one I've played that he listed, and I can confirm it's much worse than Yet Another Zombie Defense.

I really don't think the game deserves that much hate. We got it free, the dev is selling it very cheap, and it comes with cards. What other $1.99 MSRP game has cards? I don't think I've seen any. The dev never tried to rip anyone off, at least.

I'd like to think that Spartan Assault is one of those bullshit "toe in the water" moves to see how well Halo sells on PC nowadays (on Steam, now that GFWL is gone). Seriously.

The only other reason is because SA is already on Windows 8.. so it's much cheaper to put it on Steam compared to making a PC port of 3/Reach/4. Chances are if they ported anything to PC it'd either be 4 or 5 (because newest MP), you have to remember we're in the minority here in terms of the market.
They could always let Steamworks handle the MP for the older Halo titles. ;)

I couldn't see Microsoft doing *that* of all things, though...since, you know, Valve's Steam defeated M$'s G4WL. ;)

But really - I'd likely play the older Halos for the SP campaign, more so than anything.

It'd be the newer ones like 4 or 5 if they hit the PC, that I'd likely try both the SP and MP.

I was talking to MyterD.

And tbh, I'm welcome a half-assed port of Halo 3/4/ODST/Reach with open arms. Better than nothing, despite sharing your disdain for how Microsoft handles things. I don't care, I just want games.

They could always let Steamworks handle the MP for the older Halo titles. ;)

I couldn't see Microsoft doing *that* of all things, though...since, you know, Valve's Steam defeated M$'s G4WL. ;)

But really - I'd likely play the older Halos for the SP campaign, more so than anything.

It'd be the newer ones like 4 or 5 if they hit the PC, that I'd likely try both the SP and MP.
The only way we're getting any other Halo besides 4 or 5 is if Microsoft releases Halo 2 Anniversary/Halo Trilogy for Xbox One.

That's the only way. There is no way they would redo the games if they weren't a remake, and if they weren't on consoles as well. Even then, expect the PC port to come ages after the console one (because they gotta sell Xbones).

I was talking to MyterD.

And tbh, I'm welcome a half-assed port of Halo 3/4/ODST/Reach with open arms. Better than nothing, despite sharing your disdain for how Microsoft handles things. I don't care, I just want games.
I think most of us at the CAG Club here likely won't buy games ASAP at high-prices, anyways.

We normally wait for steep discounts - especially if the ports are "basic", "lazy", and/or "poor."

EDIT:

The only way we're getting any other Halo besides 4 or 5 is if Microsoft releases Halo 2 Anniversary/Halo Trilogy for Xbox One.

That's the only way. There is no way they would redo the games if they weren't a remake, and if they weren't on consoles as well. Even then, expect the PC port to come ages after the console one (because they gotta sell Xbones).
Given the popularity of Halo - I wouldn't be surprised if all the old Halo games hit the XB1. Whether we hate it, love it, or whatever - Halo pretty much *is* their flagship series.

Would be great to get a PC port of those re-releases.

Oh - and since we're on re-releases, how about Fable 1: Anniversary, as well. ;)

Been playing gunslinger (got it yesterday from gig, free after credits). It is really an awesome game. Fun, great graphics, game play is fantastic... And I won Hal on the second level of the arcade mode.

Been playing gunslinger (got it yesterday from gig, free after credits). It is really an awesome game. Fun, great graphics, game play is fantastic... And I won Hal on the second level of the arcade mode.
I was about to say "Wait, Gunstringer's on PC? How would that even work?" and then I realized I must have suddenly become dyslexic.

Takedown and Rekoil are both practically unplayable do to how broken they are (Infestation is supposedly patched to a somewhat playable state). If all you're judging a game on is graphics then I don't really think "worst game on Steam" is a fair judgement. I might not enjoy YAZD but it is completely playable, whereas the ones I listed are/were not, which is far more concerning to me.

I have a hypothetical question: say I wanted to get the Dungeon Siege Complete Pack. How easy would it be to get my hands on the expansions for the first two Dungeon Siege games? As near as I can tell, nobody has any intention of offering those on Steam.

Takedown and Rekoil are both practically unplayable do to how broken they are (Infestation is supposedly patched to a somewhat playable state). If all you're judging a game on is graphics then I don't really think "worst game on Steam" is a fair judgement. I might not enjoy YAZD but it is completely playable, whereas the ones I listed are/were not, which is far more concerning to me.
I don't entirely know what the definition of playable is, but it seems pretty clear to me that some (most?) people can play them. I guess I can consider "a buggy game that many people have problems even running" a better game than "a consistently running piece of garbage" in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back