Steam Deals Thread V11 ~ Let's move along, people...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNinjaSquirrel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Seemed about time for a new thread, so here it is. Welcome to the Steam Deals Thread V11!

Daily Deal
Luftrausers - $9.99 $5.99

Yesterday's Deal
Metro: Last Light Complete Edition - $19.99 $9.99
Metro 2033 - $14.99 $3.74

Weekend Deals
Europa Universalis IV - $39.99 $9.99
Europa Universalis IV Extreme Edition - $44.99 $11.24 [customspoiler=DLC][/customspoiler]
Europa Universalis III Collection - 39.99 9.99
Europa Universalis III Complete - 14.99 3.74 [customspoiler=DLC][/customspoiler]
Europa Universalis: Rome - Gold Edition - 9.99 2.49
PAYDAY 2 - 29.99 9.99 [customspoiler=DLC][/customspoiler]
PAYDAY™ The Heist - 14.99 4.99 [customspoiler=DLC][/customspoiler]

Midweek Madness
Audiosurf 2 - $14.99 $8.99
Audiosurf - $9.99 $2.49
XCOM Complete - $49.99 $24.99 [customspoiler=Includes][/customspoiler][/customspoiler]
Painkiller Complete Pack - $69.99 $13.99 [customspoiler=Includes][/customspoiler][/customspoiler]

Weeklong Deals
Pool Nation - $9.99 $1.49
Booster Trooper - $4.99 $0.74
Zeno Clash - $9.99 $1.99
Thunder Wolves - $9.99 $1.99
Alien Breed™ Trilogy - $22.99 $11.49 [customspoiler=Includes][/customspoiler]
Two Worlds II - $19.99 $4.99 [customspoiler=DLC][/customspoiler]
Titan Quest - Immortal Throne - $14.99 $3.74
Titan Quest - $14.99 $3.74
Sine Mora - $9.99 $2.49
Primal Carnage - $14.99 $3.74
Mirror's Edge™ - $19.99 $4.99
Hard Truck Apocalypse / Ex Machina - $7.99 $1.99
Guncraft - $14.99 $3.74
Expeditions: Conquistador - $19.99 $4.99
Alien Spidy - $9.99 $2.49
Violett - $9.99 $2.99
Dark Matter - $14.99 $4.49
Survivor Squad - $8.99 $2.96
Victoria II - $19.99 $6.79
Star Trek - $14.99 $5.09
Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition - $14.99 $5.09
Tiny Troopers - $4.99 $2.49
Spate - $9.99 $4.99
SimCity™ 4 Deluxe Edition - $19.99 $9.99
Litil Divil - $9.99 $4.99
Last Dream - $9.99 $4.99
KickBeat Steam Edition - $9.99 $4.99
Euro Truck Simulator 2 - $39.99 $19.99
Dead Space Pack - $34.99 $8.74 [customspoiler=Includes][/customspoiler]
Earthworm Jim Collection - $19.99 $9.99
Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension - $34.99 $17.49
Desert Thunder - $9.99 $4.99
Construction Machines 2014 - $14.99 $7.49
Tower of Guns - $14.99 $8.24
PlayClaw - Game Video Recorder - $49.99 $29.99
Vox - $9.99 $7.49
Obscure II (Obscure: The Aftermath) - $9.99 $7.49
Obscure - $6.99 $5.24
Action Indie Pack - $14.99 $1.49
Geneforge Saga - $19.99 $3.99

Miscellaneous Deals (end time varies)
Cloudbuilt - $19.99 $9.19
Titan Quest Gold - $19.99 $4.99
Football Manager 2014 - $49.99 $12.5
Dracula Trilogy - $19.99 $9.99 [customspoiler=Includes][/customspoiler]
The Wolf Among Us - $24.99 $16.74
MXGP - $39.99 $25.19
FX Eleven - $19.99 $9.99
Franchise Hockey Manager 2014 - $39.99 $19.99
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons - $14.99 $6.00

Thread under construction, more to be added shortly...

Thanks to EastX, Detruire, Psydero, and everyone else that has contributed to the thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think so but I wouldn't expect any of the IP that aren't big names to go on a deeper sale. My assumption based on the banner artwork is today is Spiderman day, tomorrow Transformers, Saturday Call of Duty and Sunday Prototype.

page_bg_english.jpg

I think there's almost no chance of Singularity, King's Quest etc going on a deeper discount at this point.
So Singularity will stay 75% so I can overthink whether to buy it or not all weekend.

I thought Singularity was a pretty solid game. Different enough than the standard fps to keep me interested.
I think I got it for $10 for 360? And I'd say it was worth it, but mainly for the SP. The MP kinda sucked from what I remember.

I still wish it'd been $10 earlier so I could have gotten that free copy of Prototype they were offering. :p

So Singularity will stay 75% so I can overthink whether to buy it or not all weekend.
Pretty much. It was that price at Amazon recently and I'm pretty sure it was a week-long thing.

No, I think you are missing the point: the goal of communication is to express ideas clearly. This is not the same thing as writing on an 8th-grade level. However, if you're writing as an exercise in displaying what you learned in your three technical writing classes in college, you probably shouldn't be writing for a general audience at all. This article appears to be deliberately written in such a way as to suggest that the author is an arrogant jerk who looks down his nose at people who aren't of the opinion that videogames are the lowest form of human endeavor. I have an English minor and I can construct an erudite and abstruse sentence if I so desire but there's a time and a place for that style of writing; popular publications aren't it.
Sorry, I wrote that as I was leaving for class so I couldn't get back and respond as fast as I wanted to. There were actually more responses than I thought there would be which to me means it is an interesting topic. Anyway, I just wanted to take a second a respond to Warreni. Keep in mind, I'm 26, going back to college (community), and I've only taken a handful of English classes, but I know an opinion piece when I see one. Which is why when I saw this post...

Really? This guy's writing style appears to be deliberately opaque and needlessly verbose, like a college sophomore trying to impress his professor with all of the multisyllabic words he's learned to utilize. He not only inelegantly expresses his loathing, disgust, and contempt for Dark Souls, but also manages to insult gamers in general and the idea that playing games is somehow a worthwhile endeavor.

Frankly I might be inclined to agree with some of his points about the game itself (for the record, I haven't played any of these games either but I've read a lot about them; I still have a key for the first game sitting quietly in my Amazon account, waiting for me to decide whether I will activate it), but this guy is such an insufferable ass about it that I kind-of hate him just from reading this one article...
The above is basically your opinion piece about his writing style. That sort of thing is fine on the Internet because it is a place full of opinions (and often short on facts when I need them). But the same way you can write those statement about him is the same way that he can write as a contributor/author/poet/journalist as he sees fit. Perhaps he doesn't share the love of gaming that most people here do (despite most of you not actually playing your backlog). He may also be the only guy in that building that played the game and is qualified to write it. On top of that, the piece had to have been written clearly because you were able to disagree with it. Had it been all over the place and made no sense then you would wouldn't have any idea what is ideas were on the topic. It is my opinion, which will be good for nothing for all of eternity, that I can appreciate an article that is written well with words I may or may not recognize because I learned two things: A new set of words and my own feelings towards the overall message.

I'll admit this isn't some of my best writing (feels like ages since I wrote it, and feel I've improved a lot in the year since then), but I'm pimping it anyway in case it might help you make up your mind: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/304549-singularity-review-a-shooter-about-time-travel-stuck-in-the-past-how-ironic/#entry10328349
I've learned in the last year we have similar tastes, so I'll pass for now. I wasn't going to play it right away anyway.

Thanks!

Just got a random 75% off coupon for Grimind (http://store.steampowered.com/app/265380/) in my Steam inventory that expires on the 14th. Makes the game $2.50 instead of $10. The publisher is KISS Itd, and I own a few of their games (Lucius, Nosferatu: Wrath of Malachi, The 39 Steps, Milk of Ultraviolet, etc.) so that might be why I got it.
I got two of the coupon, and I don't care to figure out why beyond seeing that I already own the game itself. If anyone wants a coupon, let me know.

Desura keys for GEARCRACK Arena are being sent out and will be done in a few hours.

Got mine, thanks!

I would buy both Quest Collections if they were 75% off. :nottalking:
I have both of them boxed. They'd have to hit 90% off for me to bother with the double-dip.

Sorry, I wrote that as I was leaving for class so I couldn't get back and respond as fast as I wanted to. There were actually more responses than I thought there would be which to me means it is an interesting topic. Anyway, I just wanted to take a second a respond to Warreni. Keep in mind, I'm 26, going back to college (community), and I've only taken a handful of English classes, but I know an opinion piece when I see one. Which is why when I saw this post...

The above is basically your opinion piece about his writing style. That sort of thing is fine on the Internet because it is a place full of opinions (and often short on facts when I need them). But the same way you can write those statement about him is the same way that he can write as a contributor/author/poet/journalist as he sees fit. Perhaps he doesn't share the love of gaming that most people here do (despite most of you not actually playing your backlog). He may also be the only guy in that building that played the game and is qualified to write it. On top of that, the piece had to have been written clearly because you were able to disagree with it. Had it been all over the place and made no sense then you would wouldn't have any idea what is ideas were on the topic. It is my opinion, which will be good for nothing for all of eternity, that I can appreciate an article that is written well with words I may or may not recognize because I learned two things: A new set of words and my own feelings towards the overall message.
Of course it's my opinion that this guy seems like a pompous ass. I don't know him other than from this piece of dubious work, but if that's how he intended to come across, mission accomplished. The fact of the matter is that I don't necessarily disagree with him. I do think his review is very poorly-written but I have absolutely no idea whether Dark Souls II is a good game. I will likely never play it so I won't have an opportunity to form my own opinion.

As to whether the article was written clearly, no, it isn't. I've read it several times and it's like hacking through a dense undergrowth to create a walking path in a forest. His use of language is gratuitously obfuscatory. When people have to work hard to understand what it is that you're trying to explicate with your ponderous prose and syllable-heavy sentence structure, you're being a lousy communicator. That may be my opinion but it's also true.

Humble Co-op Bundle is live as of 30 minutes ago.

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly?coop_weekly

PWYW: Awesomenauts, Sanctum 2, Wanderlust Rebirth

$6 tier: Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken*, Orcs Must Die 2 Complete, Aces Wild: Manic Brawling Action*

$10 tier: Risk of Rain*

$17: two complete bundles

$30: four complete bundles

All have Steam keys

* includes DRM free

Lots of repeats, but some good fun to be had at the dollar level or if four people go in together for the complete package.

Accepted! Thanks!
Trusty, Trusty, Trusty. After all of that back and forth Steam thinks you already own the SS games and in fact you do according to your profile page. Get with the program and memorize that library! :wall: :lol:

I have both of them boxed. They'd have to hit 90% off for me to bother with the double-dip.
I would buy both Quest Collections if they were 90% off. :nottalking:

How does one get Croixleur Steam keys? I tried through Desura but it says I should get it from Indie Royale... and Royale doesn't have any Steam key... 

Saw Postman in the theaters...twice. Really enjoyed the book and thought maybe I just didn't "get it" the first time.

It's a bad fuck ing movie.
I've read many of David Brin's books, but the stigma of the movie has actively turned me away from The Postman on more than one occasion. Maybe someday I'll overcome that fear and give it a shot.

I'm sure David Brin is a much better author than Costner is a director.
Absolutely. I was browsing my paperback shelves last week, and both Sundiver and Earth jumped out at me as books I haven't read in years. They're both due for a repeat.

I feel like this guy is trying to sound smart, probably due to the audience of Forbes who aren't a typical gamer audience. I also feel like he thinks putting in hundreds of hours in a game somehow makes him an authority to speak on it, ignoring the fact that it's somewhat insane to spend that much time on something you detest.
I thought the same thing. Maybe it's his own preconception of the typical Forbes reader, or maybe Forbes has an online editor who is big on "snooty factor". I do wish the author had taken time to define his terms, though: I personally don't put 40 minutes into games I can't stand, much less 400 hours. He comes across as an addict -- he hates the game, hates the grind, hates himself for continuing... but he can't stop playing.

How does one get Croixleur Steam keys? I tried through Desura but it says I should get it from Indie Royale... and Royale doesn't have any Steam key...
Did you use the client rather than the website? I got mine through the client with no trouble (and this is an occasional issue with the website). If you did use the client, try restarting it?

Same here, except it would just be KQ as I already have the other. What is this shizzz...oh yeah Activision.

Humble Co-op Bundle is live as of 30 minutes ago.

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly?coop_weekly

PWYW: Awesomenauts, Sanctum 2, Wanderlust Rebirth

$6 tier: Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken*, Orcs Must Die 2 Complete, Aces Wild: Manic Brawling Action*

$10 tier: Risk of Rain*

$17: two complete bundles

$30: four complete bundles

All have Steam keys

* includes DRM free

Lots of repeats, but some good fun to be had at the dollar level or if four people go in together for the complete package.
Humble has been striking out so much lately I completely forgot that it was Thursday for the first time in ever. Sadly, this new bundle does nothing to break the streak...

Of course it's my opinion that this guy seems like a pompous ass. I don't know him other than from this piece of dubious work, but if that's how he intended to come across, mission accomplished. The fact of the matter is that I don't necessarily disagree with him. I do think his review is very poorly-written but I have absolutely no idea whether Dark Souls II is a good game. I will likely never play it so I won't have an opportunity to form my own opinion.

As to whether the article was written clearly, no, it isn't. I've read it several times and it's like hacking through a dense undergrowth to create a walking path in a forest. His use of language is gratuitously obfuscatory. When people have to work hard to understand what it is that you're trying to explicate with your ponderous prose and syllable-heavy sentence structure, you're being a lousy communicator. That may be my opinion but it's also true.
I get what you're saying. My point was that the Internet writing style is headed in a direction that I think lines up with people only being taught addition and subtraction in school. If you start to cut away content to save time and "get to the point" then a lot of learning and cultural growth is lost in the process. Case in point would be texting and how things like "lol" are being spoken out loud because of this word-minimizing phenomenon. So while Dark Souls is unnecessarily challenging, so too is reading this article. Which may be the author's point of writing it in this manner.

That being said, did you read the comments? His top three summarize a lot of what we have discussed, especially comment three which was your point. I think you'll find his response in line with your view of him :D

Just got lucky and found some cheap steam games at walmart. Company of Heroes 2, Total War Shogun 2 Gold, and Saints Row 4 all $5 each. I would try to pick up sone for others, but no paypal makes that a bit of a pita.

Edit: this store only, so don't get excited and run to your local walmart.

I get what you're saying. My point was that the Internet writing style is headed in a direction that I think lines up with people only being taught addition and subtraction in school. If you start to cut away content to save time and "get to the point" then a lot of learning and cultural growth is lost in the process. Case in point would be texting and how things like "lol" are being spoken out loud because of this word-minimizing phenomenon. So while Dark Souls is unnecessarily challenging, so too is reading this article. Which may be the author's point of writing it in this manner.
No. You're wrong.

Just got lucky and found some cheap steam games at walmart. Company of Heroes 2, Total War Shogun 2 Gold, and Saints Row 4 all $5 each. I would try to pick up sone for others, but no paypal makes that a bit of a pita.

Edit: this store only, so don't get excited and run to your local walmart.
Oh sure... *now* you mention this. I was just at "where poor 'murica shops" last night... I rarely go there (hate it).

[quote name="alkaliv2" post="11728492" timestamp="1398970415"]So while Dark Souls is unnecessarily challenging, so too is reading this article.  Which may be the author's point of writing it in this manner./quote]

Oh good lord. Are we writing metaphorically symbolic video game reviews now? I hope that's what he was going for, So I can further hate on his pretentiousness

So was anyone here in the Battlebock Theater Steam beta? Well buckle your pants, since you're getting the game for free when it launches (check your email) ^_^

I got two of the coupon, and I don't care to figure out why beyond seeing that I already own the game itself. If anyone wants a coupon, let me know.
Got mine, thanks!

I don't own the game itself, so I only got 1. Mystery solved?

I think I have the first three games from each collection on GOG from that embarrassing story I told the other day. This sale on Steam is making my OCD flare up something fierce. :wall:

So was anyone here in the Battlebock Theater Steam beta? Well buckle your pants, since you're getting the game for free when it launches (check your email) ^_^
I have never been so mad not to be let into a beta before. They didn't even email me back "No", I just never received anything from them.

That being said, did you read the comments? His top three summarize a lot of what we have discussed, especially comment three which was your point. I think you'll find his response in line with your view of him :D
Yes, it is. He basically tells the poster, "Why, yes, my article was a tedious quagmire and I'm okay with that." This does indeed further reinforce my impression that he's a bit of a tool.

So while Dark Souls is unnecessarily challenging, so too is reading this article. Which may be the author's point of writing it in this manner.
This seems improbable, but if it is the case I have to agree with pasports31: it's not especially clever and he still comes off like a jerk for even conceiving of this idea.

Updating my walmart find:

If anyone is interested in these guys give me a quick pm and maybe we can launder steambux or make a trade:

Total war shogun 2 gold $5
Orange box $5
Cod black ops 2 $15
Arkham origins $5.

Posting here instead of trade thread to give the regulars a chance at anything.

$16 from Krugo :D

I'm tempted to wait and see if all goes to 75% off come Sunday.
So I'm not the only one holding out for a May 4th 1-day sale? Good to know. :mrgreen:
Oooh, that'd be nice. The first time Disney put the SW collection on sale the low price (I think it was 66% off) only lasted a few hours then they put it at 50%. I don't know if they're going to go 75%.

Does anyone have experience trading tf2 keys for games? Krugor's offer is too good, but I've never bought keys. How do you do it? Keys on the market are $2.39.

Has anyone posted the Forbes Dark Souls 2 review for discussion yet? No? Okay, I feel like stirring the pot today:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelthomsen/2014/04/25/is-dark-souls-ii-the-worst-game-ever-made/

I imagine I can anticipate what some of you kids are going to say, and all I'll say is that despite owning two Souls games, I have yet to play one...nevertheless, I think this is one of my favorite reviews ever.
Consider the pot stirred.

It's simply an example of an author engaging in literary masturbation. It is clear that he is not concerned with communicating effectively,

My first impression was that he was somehow trying to draw a metaphor between his impenetrable article and his opinion of Dark Souls 2. Good idea, but the execution is lacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back