Steam: Deus Ex Collection - $5 or $2.50 for each game (75% off) - DEAD

DukeEdwardI

CAGiversary!
Feedback
59 (100%)
header.jpg

Deus Ex Collection on Steam

Last edited by a moderator:
Valve needs to quit this crap. One can only spend so much before they go broke.

I need to block steam's marketplace from myself :[

Saw this as I exited STALKER, I was unable to buy this last special due to some Monoprice thing where they got my CC info but glad I can buy it now.

[quote name='eastx']Nice prices! Any opinions on the differences between the two games?[/QUOTE]

The first one is one of the best games ever produced. The second is a steaming pile of console port.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']The first one is one of the best games ever produced. The second is a steaming pile of console port.[/QUOTE]

I didn't think the 2nd one was that bad. Did it live up to the original? No. Was it a pretty good game in its own right? Yeah.

They JUST had this on sale during the Eidos week with Hitman. Steam needs to stop rehashing its deals.

[quote name='ECisMe']They JUST had this on sale during the Eidos week with Hitman. Steam needs to stop rehashing its deals.[/QUOTE]
I think you meant to say:

Thanks Steam for putting this digital content on sale unlike damn near everyone else with digital downloads. I'd like to see deals that are new, but I understand why you might give others another opportunity to jump on a deal they missed.

Thank you and I love you!

Sincerely,

ECisMe

Deus Ex ... one of the greatest games ever made ... right up there with Fallout. If only the sequels had the same depth as the original ... at this price though, there is no doubt you should pick these up. Seriously, if you were considering anything for $5 on the D2D sale ... just stop and grab these instead.

While the graphics on Deus Ex aren't particularly great by today's standards, you will be rewarded by a game that has tremendous depth and flexibility in the way it plays out. It's far more open ended than any other fps that comes to mind ... you can kill certain characters, you can let them live ... you're choices matter ... stick with it and it's an awesome storyline in the original game.

Plus, if you get Deus Ex, The Namelss Mod has won a metric fuckton of awards recently. I haven't checked it out yet, but apparently it has a story that's actually better than the original game (which is a hell of an accomplishment).

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']I think you meant to say:

Thanks Steam for putting this digital content on sale unlike damn near everyone else with digital downloads. I'd like to see deals that are new, but I understand why you might give others another opportunity to jump on a deal they missed.

Sincerely,

ECisMe[/QUOTE]

Good job correcting him! People need to keep their complaints in check. Steam deals are almost always awesome and there are so many of them. :D

[quote name='eastx']Steam deals are almost always awesome and there are so many of them. :D[/QUOTE]
Most of the time when they aren't awesome it's normally because the publisher *COUGH* EA *COUGH* isn't playing ball.

Anyone know if they have the multi-core problem fixed?

I remember playing on my core-duo and it would speed-up and slow way down during gameplay.

[quote name='eastx']Good job correcting him! People need to keep their complaints in check. Steam deals are almost always awesome and there are so many of them. :D[/QUOTE]
This isn't really a complaint, but a great deal is often followed closely by a stupid-great deal. I bought Deus Ex GOTY for $5 during the Edios sale (a great price), and if I'd waited, I could have had Invisible War as well for the same price (which would have been stupid-great). A $2.50 penalty for jumping the gun is hardly the end of the world.

[quote name='j-cart']Anyone know if they have the multi-core problem fixed?

I remember playing on my core-duo and it would speed-up and slow way down during gameplay.[/QUOTE]

I don't have the link off-hand, but there is a little application/patcher that fixes this specifically.

Also, don't forget Shifter and the Texture pack(s)!

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']I think you meant to say:...

Sincerely,

ECisMe[/QUOTE]

Next month: "Deus Ex Complete $3 blowout!"

Thank you and I love you, Valve! ...wait...I already...

We love [are spoiled by] 2x Steam sales a week, but just view quick repeats as a missed opportunity. No correction is needed. Though, at least this rerun is a good one for those who missed out earlier (and since it was mis-priced last time).

Don't forget to try John P.'s high-res IW textures (Thief 2&3 also available).

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Plus, if you get Deus Ex, The Namelss Mod has won a metric fuckton of awards recently. I haven't checked it out yet, but apparently it has a story that's actually better than the original game (which is a hell of an accomplishment).[/QUOTE]

Can you mod the Steam version of Deus Ex? Last I heard, it was fairly unmoddable, but I haven't kept up to see if that has been resolved. I remember quite a few complaints in the past though.

[quote name='Vegan']I don't have the link off-hand, but there is a little application/patcher that fixes this specifically.

Also, don't forget Shifter and the Texture pack(s)![/QUOTE]

Dunno if you were talking about this, but: http://kentie.net/article/dxguide/ seems to be a pretty good guide on getting the game working it's best on a modern system.

Wow .. no offense but John P. is not a master of high definition faces, because some of those look absolutely awful compared to the originals.

[quote name='Kurina']Can you mod the Steam version of Deus Ex? Last I heard, it was fairly unmoddable, but I haven't kept up to see if that has been resolved. I remember quite a few complaints in the past though.[/QUOTE]

From the TNM site:

Q.Does TNM work with the Steam version of Deus Ex?
A.According to our testing, yes.
Q.Does TNM work with the Direct2Drive version of Deus Ex?
A.Afraid not. So far, nobody has been able to determine exactly how the Direct2Drive version differs from the traditional retail version, so we have not yet found a way to use it with TNM.

Looks like D2D is the issue again, not Steam.

Better than the sale I was waiting for! Maybe the original will even work on my netbook.
edit: yup, the original works like a charm on my crappy little netbook even when it's in power saving mode.

Last edited by a moderator:
I pulled this from the last time Deus Ex was on sale. The other one I was going to quote has already been mentioned by EastX.

[quote name='ClaudeBalls']I have yet to try Deus Ex under Windows 7, but anyone interested in playing this on a modern PC might want to try these rewritten renderers: http://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/ These files will help the game run better as well as support higher resolutions. Highly recommend them, and the UT99 as well if anyone here still plays it.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Mike UFC']Sweet. I passed on this during the Eidos sale and regretted it. Not passing on it this time. Thanks, OP.[/QUOTE]

Me too. I don't think Steam would ever pull that D2D crap on me, but just to be safe I went ahead and bought it right away before they had a chance to reconsider and jack up the price. :)

[quote name='etcrane']Wow .. no offense but John P. is not a master of high definition faces, because some of those look absolutely awful compared to the originals.[/QUOTE]

Gotta disagree. They mostly look better to me.

I added the Deus Ex: GotY to my ever expanding steam backlog. May pickup Invisible War if the price is still active Friday morning when i get paid, otherwise I won't be loosing sleep over it.

Thanks OP

[quote name='jp0213']Been running fine for me in Win7 Ultimate.[/QUOTE]

Any issues with sound? I recently tried installing from disc on WinXP, and the last second of dialogue on every line would get chopped off. Super annoying.

[quote name='ohboy10451']is this the cheapest Deus Ex has been????[/QUOTE]

I got the GOTY edition free on a multigame dvd from computer gaming world or something.
I'm still tempted to get the collection though. Never finished the first one or played the 2nd.

DEUS EX IS THE BEST GAME I HAVE EVER PLAYED.

It has the best videogame plot I've ever experienced.

It has some of the best FPS/RPG gameplay, especially for its time.

It rewards exploration both through gadgets, points, and money, as well as by SIGNIFICANTLY enhancing the storytelling in many cases.

It holds up incredibly well (I just played it again for the first time in 6 years about a month ago).

BUY AND PLAY THIS GAME.

(oh and the sequel is good too)

bread's done
Back