*Steam* Everquest + 15 Expansions + Exclusive Item = $2.50

hambonious

CAG Veteran
http://store.steampowered.com/app/24130/
Link to sale.

"EverQuest® 11th Year Anniversary Sale is on!

March 16, 2010, 9:32 am - Valve - General Announcement

EverQuest® is now available for $2.50/€1.99/£1.99 until March 26th! This deal includes a Steam exclusive in-game item the Shroud of Steam as well as 15 expansions (One per account. Not tradeable. No cash value.). If you start a new account you will also receive 30 days of free game time."

http://store.steampowered.com/news/3602/
Link to this information.

[quote name='loomis1975']I don't think you will be hooked now. I watched my wife try to get back into it late last year, and I saw nothing to pique my interest, hers either after she found characters long gone, servers gone or merged, etc. If its been at least 2 years since you played, I'd say you are safe from the pull.

The graphics at this point are soooo bad. Stretched on the HDTV at 1920 x 1080, my eyes wanted to bleed. Looks like they redid the graphics on some of the original zones, and it wasn't an improvement, I don't think :)

There is a reason that many of us skipped one or even the better part of two console generations and that reason is Everquest.

By the time I quit, I had a stack of computer games to catch up on and play, didn't get back to consoles till the last year or so of the original Xbox's run. By that time I decided the PS2 was old enough to skip it and the Gamecube as well.[/QUOTE]

Getting an Xbox but skipping the GC and PS2 = Big mistake.

Anyways I think that the game is still good, iv gone back to it once or twice in the last year and had fun. Just not as much fun as in the past and its too hard to get into as a new player unless you have an old guild still active or friends rejoining with you. This is why SoE needs to try and drop the price on the game and advertise that its doing so. If they charged $5 a month for the game id be seriously tempted to play more regluary....but $15 is just a joke. Realistically though it would be even better if they could find a model to make it free to play and make money off advertisements or in game items or something. Even better though id love to see one last attempt at this franchise and make EQ3 but make it cross platform with the PS3 like FFXI was. Make it $15 a month but give a REASONABLE price for playing all three games at once. If I could play EQ 1,2 and 3 all for $20 a month id be very tempted to bite!

I don't believe this violates any ToS here and it's definitely worth posting. For anyone who used to play old school you should definitely check out Shards of Dalaya - http://shardsofdalaya.com. It's an incredibly well-run emulator of the EQ with a player base comparable to some of SOE's servers.

Though it uses many of the same zones files and basic rules of Everquest it has a different set of class roles, spells, quests, stories, etc. And it's run like a professional server; you don't get people running around exploiting glitches or using GM powers. It's free to play as long as you have a legitimate copy of Everquest and find it a lot more comparable to what the game was for me years ago than what EQ is today. If you loved what Everquest used to be this is worth a few minutes to check out their website.

[quote name='Enlityn']I don't believe this violates any ToS here and it's definitely worth posting. For anyone who used to play old school you should definitely check out Shards of Dalaya - http://shardsofdalaya.com. It's an incredibly well-run emulator of the EQ with a player base comparable to some of SOE's servers.

Though it uses many of the same zones files and basic rules of Everquest it has a different set of class roles, spells, quests, stories, etc. And it's run like a professional server; you don't get people running around exploiting glitches or using GM powers. It's free to play as long as you have a legitimate copy of Everquest and find it a lot more comparable to what the game was for me years ago than what EQ is today. If you loved what Everquest used to be this is worth a few minutes to check out their website.[/QUOTE]

I tried that a few months ago and couldnt get the damn thing running.

I played EQ from release up until the end of planes of power. Then I came back about 2 years ago, and maxed out a monk and did most of the high end raids. I got bored with it after my character was one of the best on the server.

Its a fantastic game, with a RIDICULOUS amount of things to do and accomplish. However, the playerbase is so fractured right now and sometimes desolate that, unless you have a group of people, its very very hard to level up.

EQ is one of the greatest games ever made (and sergeant slate is the most evil man on the face of norrath).

[quote name='vkyosho']I remember when I played EQ back in beta 0.5. I started in early 98 I think and stopped shortly after Kunark. The one thing that made me rage quit and ebay was the fact that I was stuck in a death loop. De-leveled from 52 to 47 in a matter of minutes. Partly my fault for being AFK and getting trained on, but still back then each level after 50 took a ridiculous amount of grinding time.

For $2.50, I rather go to McDonalds.[/QUOTE]

Is this still present in the game? I don't see why any MMO nowadays should even have deleveling. Its one of the most annoying mechanics present in a game, and I refuse to play any modern MMO that has it. (Plus it makes for some lame parties. Me: "Let's go explore new areas!" Party: "No! We might die and delevel!" /facepalm)

Anyone interested in a non-GM COMPED account (read TOTALLY FREE = NO MONTHLY FEES) with a ~lvl 44 Erudite Wizard including Staff of the Wheel among other things. PM me an offer. I haven't logged in in years, so it's obviously not as epic as it was back then (pre-WOW) but I'll verify the account is active if there is interest... I think I was on Bristlebane server, not sure that server is still active.

And before anyone tells me there is no such thing as comped player accounts. I've heard it all before. This is legit, I played on and off for 3 years without paying. I had an inside connection to Verant when I got my account comped. NO ONE can tell the account is free (I even got in trouble with a GM once for boosting on a glitch).

NOTE: Just logged into Station to verify my account... Also includes 250 Stationcash (for in-game items)
x285kg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Like some who posted I played after Kunark came out until around the end of PoP and then went off to SWG and WoW. I agree that the sense of pride and accomplishment from EQ when compared to say, WoW, is worlds apart. The raids were often intense, the players were all very good and knew what they were doing, and everyone was really dedicated. Almost the opposite of many WoW players who are having 5 cyberchats while raiding (in EQ, maybe just one cyberchat :p ). I look back on those EQ days as my fondest memories and also the biggest waste of time ever. I missed half of the PS2 era and I'm still trying hard to finish that backlog. It's really not happening though :(

I would never bite on this deal with the monthly sub being required. Not worth it at all. Even to take a peak at the horrendous graphics.

ah Eq my first true 3D MMO game.. nothing compares to the first, I think my memories are far better then the actual thing, but the 7 years... ya I said 7years i spent playing it where all good. I actually quit when i totaled the time played on all my characters and seen i had spent 1/5th of all my awake hours in a virtual world,. How the heck did i keep a GF for all those years, wish I knew (cant keep one now for more then a few months).

EQ is what all the others copied, sure you can say it copied muds (it did) but it was the first HUGE (it was huge and still is from what i see in print) 3D world. There was never a battle in EQ (that you got exp from that was trivial).. nowdays, sure, way easier game, but back then... there was a real rush living throuhg a battle with 2 even cons, running for a zone line with 20 mobs on your back and "just" making it.. killing nejena 35 times in a group with people who had been there for 48hours plus... lotta fun talking in thos groups (never did get my Sow boots! feel asleep at about 52 hours... (yes straight)). playing Human whent he game started, night was really night, you couldnt see crap without a light source.

I played WoW (err liked it alot when i did play it, still do in very short bursts) and its a much better game for the player, but sometimes its about challange and not ease.

EQ did it right at least for the time it came out.

I may just bite and releive some old days.

one huge difference in WoW to EQ (at least in EQ old days), WOW, anybody can raid and see everything, anybody who wants too.. In EQ 50-75% of the "general" gamers never seen the big raids, it took hours to get um set up, and the AFK or drops copuld wipe a raid and require hours of work to get going again.. I know that sounds horrible... it was.. but those that did it... Those where gameing gods (in those days).. no light weights like WoW.. I'm sorry WoW raid can be tricky, but they are nothing like Old world EQ raids.. nothing remotly like um, no where near as challangeing (and annoying, wont deny it).. but as I said, those who completed um.. showing off that cool shield or weapon.. you knew there would never be 10 people in front of bank with um.. they where HARD REALLY HARD to get.. if thats good or bad, well thats up to you (korean games make millions with this strategy)...

[quote name='raiser']Anyone interested in a non-GM COMPED account (read TOTALLY FREE = NO MONTHLY FEES) with a ~lvl 44 Erudite Wizard including Staff of the Wheel among other things. PM me an offer. I haven't logged in in years, so it's obviously not as epic as it was back then (pre-WOW) but I'll verify the account is active if there is interest... I think I was on Bristlebane server, not sure that server is still active.

And before anyone tells me there is no such thing as comped player accounts. I've heard it all before. This is legit, I played on and off for 3 years without paying. I had an inside connection to Verant when I got my account comped. NO ONE can tell the account is free (I even got in trouble with a GM once for boosting on a glitch).

NOTE: Just logged into Station to verify my account... Also includes 250 Stationcash (for in-game items)
x285kg.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Id be interested in this depending on the price...but it really doesnt help that iv never heard of such an account and you have no feedback here. How did you even get an account like that?

[quote name='clok1966']...big raids, it took hours to get um set up, and the AFK or drops copuld wipe a raid and require hours of work to get going again.. I know that sounds horrible... it was.. but those that did it... Those where gameing gods (in those days).. no light weights like WoW.. I'm sorry WoW raid can be tricky, but they are nothing like Old world EQ raids.. nothing remotly like um, no where near as challangeing (and annoying, wont deny it).. but as I said, those who completed um.. showing off that cool shield or weapon.. you knew there would never be 10 people in front of bank with um.. they where HARD REALLY HARD to get.. [/QUOTE]

Plane of Fear *shudder*

And to the poster who said after two years away you won't get sucked back in, don't be so sure. I was away for three years between Luclin and (roughly) Depths of Darkhollow. Came back to say hi to some friends and see what things looked like. Wound up putting in another two years with an end-game guild and only leaving because I had some medical issues come up.

EQ is one of those games where if you enjoy it - and that's a big if - it's very addictive. I can't believe how much time I spent (wasted?) playing EQ, but at the same time I have a lot of fond memories.

Man, now I miss my Epic 2.5 Level 75 Wizard.

Endaar

[quote name='MSI Magus']Id be interested in this depending on the price...but it really doesnt help that iv never heard of such an account and you have no feedback here. How did you even get an account like that?[/QUOTE]

I don't trade games on CAG, preferring to get milked by Gamestop. :bomb:
But have a look at how long I've been a CAG and read some of my posts.
If you want to have a look at my eBay feedback my userid is raiser1 (also on PSN/XBL)

No one's ever heard of that kind of account, as far as I know I am the only one that has one.
I've tried to sell it in the past, but since no one believes me, it's kinda hard.
If you know anyone near Orange County CA, I'd be happy to show it to them.
If some other CAG in OC wants to verify I'd be happy to show it to them too.
I think Skype has a screen share feature, we could video-chat it too.
But honestly you have to look at the screencap I included above and have a little trust/faith.
I haven't the slightest idea how else to verify it without the risk of having the plug pulled.

How I got it is pretty simple. When EQ was VERY new (in the first year) I worked for the manufacture of the servers that it ran on (SGI Origins if anyone cares). I took some support calls from Verant and helped them with the server issues and the guy I was helping offered me a copy of the game. I told him I already subscribe and play EQ and he asked if I'd like to have my account comped. That was a no-brainer. I forgot his name as that was a decade ago... but the account is STILL FREE! Amazing. I am surprised myself that it was never flagged or removed. I just happened to be talking to the right guy at the right time.

There were probably some employees and press that had free accounts, but I've never seen them on the open market. When I last tried to sell it on an EQ buy/sell website (probably 6 years ago) the guy that ran the site called me a liar because he had never heard of a comped account that wasn't a GM.

I know it's worth $15/month to anyone that still plays regularly, or wants to pick up the $2.50 deal in this thread and play a good MMORPG for cheap. I just said PM me an offer. It wouldn't even have to be cash, but obviously that would be preferred.

UPDATE: I BOUGHT it for $2.50 and am downloading EQ and the last decade of expansions from Steam just to log in an get the stats on my characters. Let me know what stats you want and if you know a good tool to "collect" said data (I know they exist). I know for a fact the Wizard has Staff of the Wheel, Journeyman Boots, and some Bone armor as I recall. But I am sure there are much better things available now unless these were nerfed and became rare.

Activated!
The following has been activated for your account and should now be available in-game:

SOD Station Store Digital Download
Starter and Booster Pack: Oathbreaker Set
In-game Item: EQ SOD Steam Nimbus Bonus Item
Entitlement: Legacy of Ykesha
Entitlement: Lost Dungeons of Norrath
Entitlement: Gates of Discord
Entitlement: Omens of War
Entitlement: Dragons of Norrath
Entitlement: Depths of Darkhollow
Entitlement: Prophecy of Ro
Entitlement: The Serpents Spine
Entitlement: The Buried Sea
Entitlement: Secrets of Faydwer
Entitlement: Seeds of Destruction
In-Game Item: Satchel of Abu-Kar
In-Game Item: Taelosian Morphemic Staff
In-Game Item: Frozen Crystal Shard, Burning Crystal Shard
In-Game Item: Darvual Crystal
In-Game Item: Gargoyle Tooth
In-Game Item: Clockwork Boar
In-Game Item: Ornate Barding
In-Game Item: Sceptre of Draconic Calling
In-Game Item: Aviak Spirit Totem
In-Game Item: Booster Pack & Nimbus
In-Game Item: Worg Mount
Familiar of the Hooded Scrykin Legends of Norrath Loot Card

The following features were previously activated for your account, so you may not receive additional benefit from them on this activation:

SOD Station Store Digital Download
Entitlement: Base Game
Entitlement: Ruins of Kunark
Entitlement: Scars of Velious
Entitlement: Shadows of Luclin
Entitlement: Planes of Power

Original Activation Date:
May 28, 1999

Everquest was released on the 16th of March, 1999

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back