Steam Free Weekend 4/16 - 4/18: Madballs in Babo: Invasion + 75% off

animalspinners

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
From the developers themselves:

http://www.playbrains.com/blog/?p=943

For those who don’t know, this is a week-end where our game is completely free to play on Steam for anyone to try! Sure, we’ve always had a free demo for MiBI - but it’s limited to single player. On a free weekend, everyone gets access to the full-game - full-campaign and full multiplayer!

There’s no better chance to try our little indie hit Madballs in…Babo:Invasion (79 Metacritic), and it will be on sale too (75% off!) - so there’s no better time to buy it either!

The free week-end is *this* week-end - April 16th - 18th.
75% will make the game $2.50 for this weekend.

If it also ends up being the weekend deal, I will update the post.

I bought it for $2 or $2.50 during the holiday sale. Put in maybe an hour and a half and done. I even gifted it to my sis and we played together. but this game sucks.. no one plays it either haha.

Thanks for the heads up there. I had always been cautious about the game, especially due to the name. I'll continue skipping; If it's no fun with multiple people, it can't be good.

Thanks for the heads up there. I had always been cautious about the game, especially due to the name. I'll continue skipping; If it's no fun with multiple people, it can't be good.

[quote name='Muitabui']*crosses fingers* hoping for something better this weekend[/QUOTE]

So am I, but lately Steam has been rolling Free Weekend and Weekend Deals into one.

First Shattered Horizon, then MW 2... I wouldn't be surprised if this is all we get this weekend.

I bought the game over the holiday sale and I had fun with it. You can play with a keyboard and mouse but the experience is much better with a dual analog controller. It then plays similar to Smash TV except you still need to pull a trigger to fire, but you move and aim independently with the sticks.

The multiplayer was fun when I played with my friend that I gave the guest pass that came with the purchase. It's not the best game very made, but it's worth $2.50. Don't let the Madballs license scare you off, at least try the game for free and see if you like it, you don't have anything lose.

Decent game but retarded as hell unlock system. Imagine having to play an Engineer in TF2 for 6 games before you could even build anything, and then having to build 20 dispensers before you can build an SG.

Still, being able to build your own maps as part of an assault gametype is cool and once you've done the stupid grinding, the game turns out pretty good.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Decent game but retarded as hell unlock system. Imagine having to play an Engineer in TF2 for 6 games before you could even build anything, and then having to build 20 dispensers before you can build an SG.[/QUOTE]
Battlefield Bad Company 2 says hi :)

The game wasn't originally built with the Madballs license in mind -- however Microsoft felt there was some risk in releasing it without the developer making a deal since the artwork was so close to that property.

So don't go into this thinking its a crappy licensed game, because it was nearly done when they added the Madballs name to it. That's also why the title is so odd.

I'm not sure I would call this game crappy. I also picked it up during the holiday sale and have had some fun with it. I play it every so often and find the it to be pretty unique in the way it mashes a third person shooter with the physics of your character being an actual madball. Plus I actually remember the toys from when I was a kid.

This is just about as good as deal as the midweek deal of Zombie Driver for $2. They are two different types of games.

Something worth noting is PlayBrains recently came out with a game for mobile devices: Babo Crash

Shortly after they released it, they updated Madballs and added the game in for free. So, you can buy Madballs next weekend, and if you don't like it, you get a free puzzle game anyways. Not a bad deal for $2.50.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Decent game but retarded as hell unlock system. Imagine having to play an Engineer in TF2 for 6 games before you could even build anything, and then having to build 20 dispensers before you can build an SG.[/QUOTE]

Fortunately, you can pay a few dollars to unlock all the weapons/abilities and a little bit more if you want to unlock the campaign skins. During this sale, you can get both those unlock packs plus the game for less than the weapon unlock pack normally costs. Basically, you can currently buy the game for $2.49 or you can pay 88 cents more to have everything unlocked when you start the game.

[quote name='Cantatus']Fortunately, you can pay a few dollars to unlock all the weapons/abilities and a little bit more if you want to unlock the campaign skins. During this sale, you can get both those unlock packs plus the game for less than the weapon unlock pack normally costs. Basically, you can currently buy the game for $2.49 or you can pay 88 cents more to have everything unlocked when you start the game.[/QUOTE]

not a bad price for everything that you are getting there

So those DLCs are "unlock packs?" Not that 88 cents is such a terrible stretch for me, but I sort of resent paying any extra amount for the privilege of not having to deal with a broken unlock system. That doesn't seem like good business to me.

[quote name='mokmoof']So those DLCs are "unlock packs?" Not that 88 cents is such a terrible stretch for me, but I sort of resent paying any extra amount for the privilege of not having to deal with a broken unlock system. That doesn't seem like good business to me.[/QUOTE]

For one of them, you can unlock by playing single player. The rest, they were timed unlocks. You can't unlock them anymore by just playing.

[quote name='Teeheehee']For one of them, you can unlock by playing single player. The rest, they were timed unlocks. You can't unlock them anymore by just playing.[/QUOTE]
Ah, got it. That makes more sense. It's still an odd concept, though.

it boggles my mind that someone decided that madballs was a license worth snapping up

i saw some madballs on clearance in the last days of kay bee and it blew my mind that they even existed past the 80's

[quote name='smoger']it boggles my mind that someone decided that madballs was a license worth snapping up

i saw some madballs on clearance in the last days of kay bee and it blew my mind that they even existed past the 80's[/QUOTE]

It wasn't really that PlayBrains sought out the license. From what I read in an interview they did (although I'm having a hard time finding it now), it was sort of a right time/right place thing. PlayBrains was looking to do a sequel to Babo Violent. When Microsoft heard about it, they proposed PlayBrains work with American Greetings as they were trying to reintroduce Madballs. Since it basically just required them reskinning a couple characters (Oculus and Hornhead), it was pretty much win-win for them. And that's why it's called "Madballs in... Babo: Invasion". Originally, the game was just going to be called "Babo: Invasion".

Man, the Madballs were awesome as a little kid. I don't mind at all seeing them in a game.

I played for a little while yesterday and didn't quite get into it, but I'm going to stick with it. The developers do lots of updates, which means the game keeps getting better.

[quote name='52club']

This is just about as good as deal as the midweek deal of Zombie Driver for $2. They are two different types of games.[/QUOTE]

Damn when was Zombie Driver $2? Really liked the demo of it.

[quote name='Cantatus']It wasn't really that PlayBrains sought out the license. From what I read in an interview they did (although I'm having a hard time finding it now), it was sort of a right time/right place thing. PlayBrains was looking to do a sequel to Babo Violent. When Microsoft heard about it, they proposed PlayBrains work with American Greetings as they were trying to reintroduce Madballs. Since it basically just required them reskinning a couple characters (Oculus and Hornhead), it was pretty much win-win for them. And that's why it's called "Madballs in... Babo: Invasion". Originally, the game was just going to be called "Babo: Invasion".[/QUOTE]

This is correct. Didn't have so much to do with reintroducing Madballs as Microsoft was concerned that the artwork and concepts were so close to Madballs that they felt it was safer if it was sanctioned by AG. My wife led some of the early meetings on this. Wife isn't a gamer, so she had me playing the early builds to see if it was something worth doing. I enjoyed the game, but knew that without a strong community it would never go anywhere.

[quote name='banzaiwolfe']I tried this out and liked it, so I picked up a four-pack...not sure what I'm doing with the other three yet though :p[/QUOTE]

have a giveaway? ;):booty:

I got into it a little bit, but the game couldn't really hold my attention since it was hard to find a room with more than just a few people playing

[quote name='Cantatus']Fortunately, you can pay a few dollars to unlock all the weapons/abilities and a little bit more if you want to unlock the campaign skins. During this sale, you can get both those unlock packs plus the game for less than the weapon unlock pack normally costs. Basically, you can currently buy the game for $2.49 or you can pay 88 cents more to have everything unlocked when you start the game.[/QUOTE]

sigh...couldn't pass it up, for the price I'm sure i'll have some fun out of the game. maybe time to find my wireless controller though..

bread's done
Back