Steam Help

Roll

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Hi, I recently installed a new HDD into my laptop after my old one failed on me. I did a complete clean install on the new HDD and most of my files are still on the old hard drive, and I'm manually trying to move all my files to my new HDD via USB enclosure.
I've been trying to move all my Steam stuff on to this new HDD, and I've been using the Moving a Steam Installation and Games guide from steam, but I'm having a problem. I've tried to move the SteamApps folder, but every time I try, it fails (hard drive disconnects) because of the faulty hard drive...

Is there any way I can get around this? Can I just completely reinstall steam to this new HDD and forget about my old hard drive and my saves (which I wouldn't prefer, even though I don't mind giving up my saves.) I don't mind reinstalling all my games either, I just want to know how I can finally get back to playing on the PC! Thanks.

Best you could hope for is to run CHKDSK or some other disk checking utility with bad sector detection enabled and see if it's able to move the data from the defective sectors to elsewhere on the disk.

It's a guess if it'll work or not though you're no worse off than your current situation.

I've also found success on occasion with doing a clone of a drive rather than attempting to move contents. Also, are you trying to Cut and Paste or Copy and Paste over to the new drive? Oftentimes, depending on the damage done to the original hard drive, you may have better luck with one or the other.

My advice would be to try and copy ONLY the saves over to your new drive and see if your disk still falters. As your saves should be smaller files, you may have better luck with that copying and I would re-download the games from Steam entirely rather than trying to migrate the game data from a damaged drive.

Most games should be on steamcloud now, and if not the saves are actually in my documents most of the time. I just switched HDD myself, and have only had to pull one save off of the old drive so far

I think I'll just re-download everything entirely and see where it goes. One of the first things I did was try CHKDSK for bad sectors, but unfortunately, it freezes every time. :whistle2:(

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

Save the saves and re-download the games.

It sucks but those saves are what's important so snag those first and then try going game by game once your saves are nice and cozy.

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']Save the saves and re-download the games.

It sucks but those saves are what's important so snag those first and then try going game by game once your saves are nice and cozy.[/QUOTE]

What folder can I find all my save files?

[quote name='no_chocobo']Most games should be on steamcloud now, and if not the saves are actually in my documents most of the time. I just switched HDD myself, and have only had to pull one save off of the old drive so far[/QUOTE]

Most games are definitely not Steamcloud enabled. Maybe most new releases, but going back, hardly any at all. I have found saves in My Documents, My Games, sometimes even within the \Program Files\. Again, newer games tend be more consistent, but ugh, it really is a pain to track down saves. Not to mention if you modified something like an .ini file or some other settings file, and it is in the game directory.

I'm pretty each game will have saves in different locations. Most of them are probably gonna be in the Documents/My Games folder I think. I know Borderlands 2 and at least a couple of my other Steam games are there.

Whats wrong with the hard drive? If overheating is causing the problems you can actually cool it down before using and hopefully get the files off it before it fails. I did that with my sister's hard drive once.

bread's done
Back