Steam- Last Remnant $9.99

[quote name='nnthomas']Best RPG of 2009, shame the PC version is neutered for noobs[/QUOTE]

The 360 version is crap too. If you think this is the best anything of 2009 you need to play more games.

[quote name='nnthomas']Best RPG of 2009, shame the PC version is neutered for noobs[/QUOTE]

Uh, what? It's neutered because it performs better out of the box?

[quote name='Muitabui']regardless of the rating I enjoy j-rpgs. in for one
and for people looking for a physical copy
newegg has one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_re=the_last_remnant-_-32-166-006-_-Product[/QUOTE]

While it's nice to have a physical box, this game requires Steam activation like Valve's games. So you can install the game off the DVD, but you'll still need to active it to a Steam account where it will then become locked and non-transferable. You might as well save the extra money the disk would cost you.

As someone that has played it, I can tell you that $9.99 is still too much. Considering the low opinion people have of it, due to the bad reviews, Steam should have chosen the magical $4.99 pricepoint. There are far better RPG's to play. Try Eternal Sonata, though no PC version exists.

Even $4.99 would have been pushing it, but people would have actually considered buying it.

As a fan of JRPGs in general I enjoyed the 360 version of The Last Remnant. A huge part of that enjoyment came from being able to multitask while playing (laundry, web dev, etc.). The PC version includes a turbo mode that speeds through the battles that could take 45 minutes on the 360. If you haven't played this one, like JPRGs, have a decent enough PC, and don't mind Steam then you should definitely bite on this deal.

I'm still interested. Why is it neutered by the was? As a j-rpg noob, I think I'd appreciate a little neutering in my deep strategy.

Don't let the metacritic rating fool you, they always give SaGa series entries a bad entry due to their strange style they tend to do. Yes, Last Remnant is a SaGa game. I enjoyed this back when it was $40 on Steam and I would highly suggest getting it for 10.

it's a good RPG, not great don't go in expecting anything amazing and you'll most likely enjoy yourself

the biggest problems it had were technical on 360 and in the PC version they were largely fixed

How will this run on a gt 240m?

I could see this getting played on my laptop rather than my desktop which I am sure can handle it on high settings

Last edited by a moderator:
My guess is that the low ratings are more due to the inexplicable slowdowns during some combat animations (at least on the 360 version) more than the gameplay, which I enjoyed. I got it used somewhere in the $20 ballpark, and even though I didn't finish it, I think I got enough value out of it that I don't regret the purchase.

This is a good example of a game that people might unfortunately skip in favor of something "better" rated, but which many who play through it thoroughly enjoy. [360 version (w/hd install), in my case]

Hmm - I quite enjoyed this on the 360, though I stopped playing it after all. With my new PC, this tempts me...

Shame you can't transfer saves from your console to the PC.

The PC version is much improved over the Xbox game. The Last Remnant is still a poor jrpg, and a bad game at a $30-50 price point. But at $10...? Try the demo, it had me hooked for hours.

I played it and beat it on the 360. I loved it minus the healing system in combat and the leveling. If you dont asnwer a question correctly you could screw yourself long term. And the Brady guide sucked

The only reason I recognize the title of this game, is because Tom's Hardware uses it for 3D GPU Benchmarking.

How is this RPG of they year when you have 2009 titles like: DA: Origins, Borderlands and Torchlight?

And for whomever said they are a JRPG noob? you are in for a treat!
Check out Final Fantasy 3 (better known as FF6 in USA)
Any Legend of Zelda Game, preferably a Link to the Past and Zelda Twilight Princess

if you're a ps3 console only rpger, check out:
Valkyria Chronicles
Disgaea (anything)
Folklore

Don't make me....lol...laugh.

Demon's Souls, Dragon Age: Origins, Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story are the RPG's of 2009 to beat.

Last Remnant is about as sorry as an RPG can get. But for 10 bucks, it should be checked out. The battle system has it's moments.

It's an opinion geez.... O_O
I had it for the 360 but never finished it because I used it in some trade-in deal so I'm getting it again since I didn't finish it. It's a good game once you get pass the first hour which kinda confused me a bit for some reason lol. I have a boner for the RPG genre so take this lightly and bake a cake.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']As someone that has played it, I can tell you that $9.99 is still too much. Considering the low opinion people have of it, due to the bad reviews, Steam should have chosen the magical $4.99 pricepoint. There are far better RPG's to play. Try Eternal Sonata, though no PC version exists.

Even $4.99 would have been pushing it, but people would have actually considered buying it.[/QUOTE]

most people really like this version imo just have a xbox wired controller, and like jrpg and u will really enjoy! One my favorite rpg i played this year! i paid 26 last year and am so happy with the amount of game i got. Plus anyone who wants square games on pc please support at the price of 9.99

[quote name='EliotAndrews']As someone that has played it, I can tell you that $9.99 is still too much. Considering the low opinion people have of it, due to the bad reviews, Steam should have chosen the magical $4.99 pricepoint. There are far better RPG's to play. Try Eternal Sonata, though no PC version exists.

Even $4.99 would have been pushing it, but people would have actually considered buying it.[/QUOTE]

yes Eternal Sonata is amazing, The music in it is fantastic

[quote name='jacknicklson']How will this run on a gt 240m?

I could see this getting played on my laptop rather than my desktop which I am sure can handle it on high settings[/QUOTE]
When I had a 8600gt, Core2duo @ 2.20 and 3 gigs, I was able to max out everything in the demo at 1280x1024. I forgot what the 240m GT compares to but google it and that should tell you, I think that's better than my 8600 gt.

That was about 2 weeks ago, my computer is all grown up now and can run everything current maxed out. Oh what I've been missing.... :cry:

[quote name='Rirse']Don't let the metacritic rating fool you, they always give SaGa series entries a bad entry due to their strange style they tend to do. Yes, Last Remnant is a SaGa game. I enjoyed this back when it was $40 on Steam and I would highly suggest getting it for 10.[/QUOTE]
No, Last Remnant is not a SaGa game. However, it was developed by members of the team that handled Romancing SaGa: Minstrel's Song. (This includes the four main individuals that were behind the SaGa series itself.) Source Included.

Saying that Last Remnant is a SaGa game is like saying Bayonetta is part of the Devil May Cry series.

I really enjoyed this game on 360 and the PC version blows it out of the water. The battles move literally twice as fast. It's definitely not for everyone, but if $10 isn't much to you and you enjoy JRPGs, I highly recommend this.

Though I didn't like the game, I suppose it is better than any SaGa game. That shouldn't mean much on its own, though.

It's worth noting that this is the best price for the PC version; No other retailer, eBay or otherwise, can match this "deal" at the moment.

[quote name='fore1337']The only reason I recognize the title of this game, is because Tom's Hardware uses it for 3D GPU Benchmarking.

How is this RPG of they year when you have 2009 titles like: DA: Origins, Borderlands and Torchlight?

And for whomever said they are a JRPG noob? you are in for a treat!
Check out Final Fantasy 3 (better known as FF6 in USA)
Any Legend of Zelda Game, preferably a Link to the Past and Zelda Twilight Princess

if you're a ps3 console only rpger, check out:
Valkyria Chronicles
Disgaea (anything)
Folklore[/QUOTE]

Dear J-RPG noobs,

Do not listen to this man. AT ALL.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Dear J-RPG noobs,

Do not listen to this man. AT ALL.[/QUOTE]

I'd think they'd stop listening once they saw Borderlands as his nomination of RPG of the year.

Ha ha. Oh wow.

If you mean they increased frame rate, took out the bugs, ability to skip cutscenes, implemented fast combat and allow you to save anywhere.. then yeah, they neutered it.

Otherwise the PC version is much better than the console version.

This is one of those games that it is too much of personal preference to review. It lives and dies by the battle system, which I liked, but I can see many people not liking it.

Its a good deal at 10$ if you have a nice system to run it.

I wouldnt say best RPG.. but to each his own..

Has anyone used a trainer for the game? I'm interested in giving it a shot, but I don't want to do the endless trash mob grind to level up so I can advance.

this game is very hard to recommend, if it was $5 its no huge loss, but you could do SO MUCH better
if you really wanted to play a J-RPG

Since this seems like a popular topic, I'm going to ask the same question that I ask in every other topic but never get a straight answer to:

In the game, as you play sidequests, your "battle rank" goes up, which makes the enemies more difficult to scale.

In the 360 version, I heard that doing all of the sidequests scales the enemies to the point where the game is extremely difficult to complete.

The PC version supposedly alleviated some of the scaling, but is the game still difficult if you go out of your way to be a completionist?

[quote name='ddrpower']

The PC version supposedly alleviated some of the scaling, but is the game still difficult if you go out of your way to be a completionist?[/QUOTE]

I've had the game for awhile now, but haven't really beaten it (though I probably could have if I didn't do all the side quests). From my experience so far, doing all the quests actually makes the main story line battles pretty easy actually(eliminating any need to grind)...I don't really notice this scaling that you're talking about...I think there was one time that I found some main story battle was too tough so I just increased my battle rank 2-3 and the battle was a lot easier...

I think the problem with this game is people don't like the battle system. If any of you played FFXI it's sorta like the Puppeteer class, you pick some general action and hope your party performs it.

And I agree with one of the previous posts, the PC version is a lot better than the 360 version if you have a decent PC. Maybe the "nuetering" that was mentioned is that in the PC version you can have parties of all generals, that can make the game a lot easier.

[quote name='ddrpower']Since this seems like a popular topic, I'm going to ask the same question that I ask in every other topic but never get a straight answer to:

In the game, as you play sidequests, your "battle rank" goes up, which makes the enemies more difficult to scale.

In the 360 version, I heard that doing all of the sidequests scales the enemies to the point where the game is extremely difficult to complete.

The PC version supposedly alleviated some of the scaling, but is the game still difficult if you go out of your way to be a completionist?[/QUOTE]

I can't answer that specifically but you are right that, in this game, the enemies do scale according to your battle rank (BR). The difference between this and say a normal level in another RPGs is that you don't always gain stat upgrades for each battle rank you obtain.

Early on, the game vaguely states that the more risks you take, the more rewards you get. I think a lot of people assumed that the game specifically means loot. While this is true, it really means that you get more increased stats for winning battles the harder they are (such as fighting 4 groups of monsters at a time instead of just engaging with one).

I'm not sure what the game's formula is for increasing the BR, but by challenging yourself, you can essentially gain more stats while keeping your BR really low. This in turn actually makes the game easier because, as stated, the game scales the enemies to your BR, not your stats. I've heard stories of some players actually beating the game with greatly varying BR (the difference of say 20BR and 100BR).

So I guess to answer your question, as long as you make an effort to challenge yourself in the sidequests and prevent your BR from increasing as much as possible, the difficulty won't be so much a problem.

I appreciate the responses Ruitakim, Torusan.

Looking at a wiki(http://lastremnant.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_Rank), it appears that the difference is that in the 360 version, the battle rank increases increased the enemy HP, which is the source of my complaint. This has been altered for the PC version, resulting in it becoming easier, as Ruitakim said.

This is a good thing, and probably sold me on the game. Thanks for the responses!

Still have a few days to dance around the idea of buying it. >.>
$10 is about the amount whither its good or not, i'm not to worried...

[quote name='trenttati']A huge part of that enjoyment came from being able to multitask while playing (laundry, web dev, etc.). The PC version includes a turbo mode that speeds through the battles that could take 45 minutes on the 360.[/QUOTE]

...and it was this statement that doused my smoldering interest.

bread's done
Back