Steam Midweek Deal: Assassin's Creed, $5 until Thursday

Wouldn't it be a wonderful world if Steam applied to consoles? Just not a computer gamer, but there's so many of these deals that are tempting.

[quote name='awp']Wouldn't it be a wonderful world if Steam applied to consoles? Just not a computer gamer, but there's so many of these deals that are tempting.[/QUOTE]

Steam on consoles would mean either having to input cdkeys for all your physical copies of games or either you would have digital-only copies, which in all likelihood would destroy the used games market for consoles, and I buy many of my games used to save money, so no...not wonderful.

Of course there are many advantages to Steam, like being able to play your games on any machine anywhere if you have an internet connection, and unobtrusive DRM.

Hmm, I'm debating on picking up on this deal. Tried playing through it when I had it for my PS3, but just stopped playing it. Although, $5 is significantly cheaper than when I had bought it originally.

After the D2D Anniversary sale, it's no surprise Steam followed with their own deal.

What puzzles me is that the game is $5.00 while a usual Steam deal is $4.99. Why the extra cent, Steam?

"Should I feel bad that I paid $5.31 on D2D a few weeks ago?"
"Sure."

if i didnt already have it for 360 i wouldve definitely gotten this. i love steam. id rather pay a little more on steam than d2d or gog, the community and software center is just that great.

Ha! I was just talking to my friend about assassin's creed and I said that I'd pick it up the next time it was $5 on steam. Thanks Coffee.

[quote name='Justin42']If you Google "Assassin's creed DRM" there are lots of reports of annoying DRM; is it removed on the Steam version?[/QUOTE]

They were for Mass Effect, probably are for Creed as well.

[quote name='Justin42']If you Google "Assassin's creed DRM" there are lots of reports of annoying DRM; is it removed on the Steam version?[/QUOTE]

Does anyone know for sure? I'd be down to get this for 5 bucks, but not if there is going to be painful DRM. Painful DRM is what stopped me from getting it during the D2D $5 sale.

I don't see any proof it was removed, and in the Steam forums people mention a big crashing problem that apparently was traced to Ubi's servers being down. So until proven otherwise it sounds like the bad DRM is still there.

I wish companies would realise Steam is fine and works for DRM. I'd buy a lot more PC games (That I refuse to buy due to bad/broken DRM) if they'd just let Steam handle it. I'm not a huge fan of digital distribution but I'm even less of a fan of broken products.

Yeah... I am a huge fan of digital distribution, but my dislike of broken products trumps that.

Edit: Eh, who am I kidding? In for one.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='awp']Wouldn't it be a wonderful world if Steam applied to consoles? Just not a computer gamer, but there's so many of these deals that are tempting.[/QUOTE]
Deals applied to consoles would be great because we can always find great deals for games but not necessarily for consoles.

Well... i can't speak for anyone else obviously, but I've owned it on Steam for quite a while now. I play it off and on, and I have yet to experience any form of glitching let alone a complete crash.

I picked it up during D2D's sale and I've gotta say it looks great, far better than it did on my PS3 or 360. I haven't run into any crashing or DRM issues thus far and I've played for several hours. My only gripe is that it takes so damn long to quit ... first you leave the "game" ... but then you have to log out of the real game ... then it takes you back to your account log in screen and then after clicking on your profile, you can finally exit ... wow ... what an ordeal to leave a freakin game.

Otherwise, fully recommend for $5

[quote name='etcrane']I picked it up during D2D's sale and I've gotta say it looks great, far better than it did on my PS3 or 360. I haven't run into any crashing or DRM issues thus far and I've played for several hours. My only gripe is that it takes so damn long to quit ... first you leave the "game" ... but then you have to log out of the real game ... then it takes you back to your account log in screen and then after clicking on your profile, you can finally exit ... wow ... what an ordeal to leave a freakin game.

Otherwise, fully recommend for $5[/QUOTE]

dude that is killing me too
it's like the game doesn't want you to quit, it's such a ridiculously long process to do so

[quote name='snives']Well... i can't speak for anyone else obviously, but I've owned it on Steam for quite a while now. I play it off and on, and I have yet to experience any form of glitching let alone a complete crash.[/QUOTE]

+1 if that helps

[quote name='etcrane']I picked it up during D2D's sale and I've gotta say it looks great, far better than it did on my PS3 or 360. I haven't run into any crashing or DRM issues thus far and I've played for several hours. My only gripe is that it takes so damn long to quit ... first you leave the "game" ... but then you have to log out of the real game ... then it takes you back to your account log in screen and then after clicking on your profile, you can finally exit ... wow ... what an ordeal to leave a freakin game.

Otherwise, fully recommend for $5[/QUOTE]

Yes. It has the most clumsy method for exiting the game I have ever seen. I usually just make sure I save and Alt+F4 out of the game.

[quote name='Justin42']I don't see any proof it was removed, and in the Steam forums people mention a big crashing problem that apparently was traced to Ubi's servers being down. So until proven otherwise it sounds like the bad DRM is still there.

I wish companies would realise Steam is fine and works for DRM. I'd buy a lot more PC games (That I refuse to buy due to bad/broken DRM) if they'd just let Steam handle it. I'm not a huge fan of digital distribution but I'm even less of a fan of broken products.[/QUOTE]

I had a problem with the Steam version once where every time I killed an enemy the game would freeze for a second or so. I'm not sure if it was trying to contact Ubisoft servers, but playing with Steam in offline mode solved the problem.

I got the D2D version and didn't have any problems with crashes and glitches though the inability to skip the opening cinematic is fucking insane! It got so I would start the game, mute the sound, and go watch TV or something while the movie played. Also, you'd better have a gamepad or sadness will ensue. However, it looks great.

Quick question. I heard there was a lot of parts in this game where your backtracking or running to your next target and was wondering if this was true? For $5 im really tempted to pick this game up, but I really cant stand in games when I have to backtrack or in general just spend time walking around/exploring.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Quick question. I heard there was a lot of parts in this game where your backtracking or running to your next target and was wondering if this was true? For $5 im really tempted to pick this game up, but I really cant stand in games when I have to backtrack or in general just spend time walking around/exploring.[/QUOTE]

99% of this game is walking and exploring.

You probably should look somewhere else if exploration/character control isn't your kinda game. It's all setup, exploration, and only occasional fighting and kills. You're an assassin, not a murder machine.

Also, who knows what the difference is with the "directors cut"?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just pick it up, what a great deal. However, now I need to buy a wired Xbox 360 controller to play it.

[quote name='Ramza394']However, now I need to buy a wired Xbox 360 controller to play it.[/QUOTE]

It's not a GFWL title, controller support has some issues. I can live without rumble support, but the triggers are probably important.

[quote name='DirkBelig']I got the D2D version and didn't have any problems with crashes and glitches though the inability to skip the opening cinematic is fucking insane! It got so I would start the game, mute the sound, and go watch TV or something while the movie played. Also, you'd better have a gamepad or sadness will ensue. However, it looks great.[/QUOTE]

I played it just fine without a gamepad. But I don't have one, and haven't really used one for quite some time, so maybe I've just adjusted.

Also, this is applicable (my only complaint of the game): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwOvuY0UbFM.

[quote name='Jugglenaut']I played it just fine without a gamepad. But I don't have one, and haven't really used one for quite some time, so maybe I've just adjusted.

Also, this is applicable (my only complaint of the game).[/QUOTE]

Bravo sir, bravo

[quote name='Jugglenaut']I played it just fine without a gamepad. But I don't have one, and haven't really used one for quite some time, so maybe I've just adjusted.

Also, this is applicable (my only complaint of the game): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwOvuY0UbFM.[/QUOTE]

Wow... this is why I still maintain that Ubisoft lacks a true QA department. Any other company would not leave something this retarded in after inevitable playtester complaints.

Ah, for $5 I caved. Been getting hyped up for Assassin's Creed 2, so I figured I'll give this a shot. I was actually missing playing this game after I completed inFamous a few weeks ago.

bread's done
Back