Steam Midweek Madness - Titan Quest Gold $4.99

I always thought these were multiplayer only, so I ignored them. Now that I know they aren't...I'm definitely in. Thanks OP.

[quote name='Muitabui']would people say that this is as good as Torchlight? For 5$ it seems really tempting[/QUOTE]

They're probably about even-steven. I played both games, enjoyed Torchlight more. But they're both pretty weak in spots. I think TQ has more character customization with skills than Torchlight. But TL characters & loot look cooler. I'm tempted to pick this up again.

[quote name='Muitabui']would people say that this is as good as Torchlight? For 5$ it seems really tempting[/QUOTE]

If you enjoyed Torchlight, you will definitely enjoy Titan Quest and its expansion. TQ is more fleshed out than Torchlight and offers a lot more classes and class combinations than Torchlight (only 3, no dual classes). I own TQ and its expansion on disc, but $5 is the magic price as far as purchasing DD versions of games I already own on disc!

Dear Steam,

Not only have you succeeded in taking my money during the weekend, you have now found a way to take my money during the week.

Thanks.

-DrMunkee

No...it is significantly BETTER than Torchlight, especially with all the amazing mods that are out for it...there's a huge community behind this game. for only $5 it is by far one of the most worthy diablo clones out there.

Damn. Just bought it. Couldn't resist a good hack n' slash action RPG. I see the game supports multiplayer. Is anyone interested in forming a party to play at set times once or twice a week? Having not yet fired it up, I am not sure how many players it supports, but this is something is would definitely be interested in. Let me know.

Also, I see that a level editor is included with the game. For those who already own the game, can you recommend any good mods or levels? Thanks!

I'm surprised by how quick this went on sale after the last time, as it was at $10 for a weekend deal sometime last fall (October, actually). I picked it up then and felt that I had paid the perfect amount for it, so at $5 it feels like a steal to me. I'd recommend that anyone who likes Diablo and Torchlight should just pick this up if they need another one. The only major differences were class selection is wide in this one, and the maps are not randomly generated.

OK...seriously...these deals have to stop, at least for a month or so. It simply cannot go on like this, where every week (make that twice a week) Valve/Steam expects us to drop dime just because good/great games are on sale for so cheap.

...I bit. :drool:

[quote name='Mysterio']If you enjoyed Torchlight, you will definitely enjoy Titan Quest and its expansion. TQ is more fleshed out than Torchlight and offers a lot more classes and class combinations than Torchlight (only 3, no dual classes). I own TQ and its expansion on disc, but $5 is the magic price as far as purchasing DD versions of games I already own on disc![/QUOTE]

I completely agree. I love Torchlight to death, particularly since it is embraceable by everyone and outright fun. However, Titan Quest Gold (I own the original Titan Quest and the Immortal Throne expansion, which is what Titan Quest Gold comprises) is even better for the reasons you mentioned above. One of the best parts of Gold is obtaining raw material drops which you can combine into other powerful items, slot onto items, and combine powerful items into a special, pre-determined amulet which basically compresses all their powers into a smaller, equippable item that is greater than the sum of its parts. You'll spend more time grinding for these raw materials, but the results are exponentially worth it.

I could talk forever about Titan Quest Gold, but I'll stop myself there. Don't be on the fence about this game, folks: plonk down the $5, install TQ and the expansion, and start on one of the best reasons I haven't wept (much) waiting for Diablo III in all these years :)

It's better in some respects (Items and classes for the most part), but it has a few things that drag it down in my mind. One, it takes a hell of a long time to play through it, which isn't a problem if you just want to play the game once but with this type of game you generally want to replay to get better gear and run like a hamster on a wheel, the length kinda hurts that. And two, functional enemy variety. You get a lot of skin changes, but there are few enemies are different in how they play. You'll go from fighting goat men, to tiger men, to frog men, etc etc with no real difference between them.

Sure as hell worth $5 if you like the style of game though. And if you liked Torchlight it's well worth checking out. Also has multiplayer of course, so if you've got a buddy or two you could play through it together.

To all the people who seem to have a hard time justifying spending $5 on these deals: How much did you spend on lunch today if you didn't brown bag it? How long did it take to eat it? 15-30 minutes, if that? How long before the digested byproducts (if you will) are heading down the sewers? A day, tops?

If you think you'll get more than an hour's enjoyment from a game for more than a day after you buy it, then WTF are you rationalizing spending the money for? Some jagoff on the $5 Red Faction D2D sale thread was griping that since it wasn't on Steam, he may just torrent it and got rightfully lit up, but the point remains: for this little money, i don't understand all the hemming and hawing.

I bought Torchlight for $5 and have played it perhaps 5 hours. I won't be getting TQ here because these sorts of games aren't my bag, but if I was even on the bubble, i wouldn't be navel-gazing like some people do.

I will agree that Titan Quest is better that Torchlight in most regards. There are more abilities, more classes, more diverse areas, more missions, more length, and more story (though still weak). And that's just the original. I have only read about the expansion but as someone commented above, it adds a lot to the game supposedly. I have beat both of them and I just found Titan Quest more enjoyable.

lol I actually own the retail packages for both of these, but for $5 it's worth it to me not to have to keep up with all those damn discs. >.< lol same story with a lot of my PC games lately, actually.

Damn, I saw this in the morning and had to bite. TQ is a solid Diablo II clone and well worth $5 for both titles.

I really have no problem if Steam drops a $2-$5 awesome game title every week. Keep 'em comin', I say!

[quote name='gunm']I really have no problem if Steam drops a $2-$5 awesome game title every week. Keep 'em comin', I say![/QUOTE]

The only problem I have is finding time to play all of them! But I still bit on the deal--$4.99 must be my impulse buy point, lol...

[quote name='keithp']The only problem I have is finding time to play all of them! But I still bit on the deal--$4.99 must be my impulse buy point, lol...[/QUOTE]

Hell yes it is. I keep telling myself all these 2 dollar and 5 dollar games are just a fast food meal here or a coke there. I'm spending about 30 dollars extra a month on steam games now though.

Still nothing for what I am getting and also nothing compared to the 65 I just dropped for ME:CE. But I don't even know if I'll play all these. Can't help myself though.

Not every week is going to be a must-buy, but I must admit they are having a good go at my wallet over the past month or so since the Holiday Sale. Even if it's just $2-5 a pop, lol.

[quote name='gunm']Not every week is going to be a must-buy, but I must admit they are having a good go at my wallet over the past month or so since the Holiday Sale. Even if it's just $2-5 a pop, lol.[/QUOTE]

And eventually your collection will become so saturated that you'll already have the DOTW games, which is the case for me this week.

[quote name='flix1']If anyone cares to have physical media, Amazon has the Gold Edition for $9.17.[/QUOTE]

Oddly, I hate the idea of giving up all of my movies and console games to digital distribution. But PC games and music I strongly embrace dumping the discs. I can't even pinpoint why, I just don't want them.

Does anyone know of a way to obtain a boxed copy of Immortal Throne for cheap? I JUST bought vanilla Titan Quest from GoGamer.

I'll probably bite on the Steam deal just because I can :p but any direction would still be great.

[quote name='dark_inchworm']Does anyone know of a way to obtain a boxed copy of Immortal Throne for cheap? I JUST bought vanilla Titan Quest from GoGamer.[/QUOTE]

My BestBuy has copies of Titan Quest Gold among the DVD-case games rack (with Dawn of War Gold, AOE, etc.) for $4.50 (from $9).

Which reminds me, don't forget to unlock the Best Buy "Garb of the Great Merchant" set (among others) using this link.

[quote name='dark_inchworm']Does anyone know of a way to obtain a boxed copy of Immortal Throne for cheap? I JUST bought vanilla Titan Quest from GoGamer.

I'll probably bite on the Steam deal just because I can :p but any direction would still be great.[/QUOTE]

I would check Goozex. Otherwise the cheapest shipping for a game on amazon is 3.99, so you probably won't beat the 5 bucks no tax.

torchlight is better IMO
Tq gets repetitive fast and I felt as though I'm playing for the sake of finishing it. The skills are nothing special. Mediocre game
I regret my purchase back in the day but five dolar footlong ain't bad

[quote name='msdmoney']And eventually your collection will become so saturated that you'll already have the DOTW games, which is the case for me this week.[/QUOTE]

same here!

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']I would check Goozex. Otherwise the cheapest shipping for a game on amazon is 3.99, so you probably won't beat the 5 bucks no tax.[/QUOTE]

I'm more concerned with having a physical copy, not price. Thank you though! (And that other guy too)

Ah, well if you want a physical copy on only the expansion Goozex is the place to go. There are complete copies readily available and with the current sale or with stored points it can be had for under 5 bucks shipped (150 points + 1 Trade Credit).

If you want a physical copy of the Gold Edition with both the game and expansion Amazon is probably the best place, 8 or 9 bucks shipped.

[quote name='DirkBelig']To all the people who seem to have a hard time justifying spending $5 on these deals: How much did you spend on lunch today if you didn't brown bag it? How long did it take to eat it? 15-30 minutes, if that? How long before the digested byproducts (if you will) are heading down the sewers? A day, tops?
[/QUOTE]

you forgot to add enjoyment to your rant though, sure i paid 5 dollars for my lunch, but i enjoyed the hell out of it while it lasted, if i pay 5 dollars for a game that i play for an hour or two and hate every minute of it, then is the 5 dollars really justified?

that being said, im getting this game cause i love me some diablo

Very tempting, but I have Diablo II (which I've never played through..DONT KILL ME!) and Torchlight still. Maybe next time it goes on sale.

The game is just so dull. Loot is boring. Your appearance hardly changes as you gear up and the abilities underwhelm sometimes. You at least feel the difference in power when you use abilities in Torchlight. I impulse buy a lot. Especially at these prices but I tried to like this game. I really really did but it wasnt worth my time. I played it as a chore and when I do that I get rid off shit as soon as possible.

[quote name='NickL']you forgot to add enjoyment to your rant though, sure i paid 5 dollars for my lunch, but i enjoyed the hell out of it while it lasted, if i pay 5 dollars for a game that i play for an hour or two and hate every minute of it, then is the 5 dollars really justified?[/QUOTE]If you are "enjoying the hell out of" a $5 meal, then you're living a very easy to please existence.

Sure, there are no guarantees that your $5 will be fun, but the risk factor is minimal. "Oh well, the game wasn't that good, but it only cost five bucks." When the money goes up (e.g. $60 for a short movie tie-in title), then so do the stakes. I used to get free concert tickets a lot and a few times the shows were lame and I felt bad for those around me who paid $40-$80 for their poor experience. If I had to pay the $75 tickets for this one Pretenders show I attended, I would've leaped onstage and forced Chrissie Hynde to eat a hamburger. (She's a leather-wearing vegan hypocrite.)

TQ's biggest drawbacks are the bugs in the questing that can make progression impossible paired up with the worst leveling system I have ever seen in a video game. The rest of the game is decently well done, although not amazing. At $5, it is worth a try. Read on if you dare for comparisons and such :p

TQ is a decent game, and the Gold is defnitely the way to go if you are wanting to play it. At $5 it is worth picking up, but don't fool yourself into thinking this is anywhere near the quality of a Diablo. The leveling system, although far more open than Torchlight's or many other games, is garbage. The atmosphere leaves a lot to want as well. That being said, I would still say it is worth trying out at $5 although I doubt I will ever get around to beating it even though I have owned it for a couple months now.

The quest system in TQ is terrible, as even in only my five hours or so of playing it I encountered many bugs. On the first quest alone, me and a friend had to create three new characters because the first quest in the game repeatedly bugged and the NPC refused to allow us to complete the quest. The only redeeming quality of TQ's quest system is the shear abundance of side quests.

If you want something to bide your time till Diablo 3 comes out, check out MeridianXL or some of the other D2 mods. They have a LOT more to offer, and they are free assuming you already own D2.

To compare TQ to Torchlight... I wouldn't say either one is greatly better overall. Having beat Torchlight over the holidays after picking it up on the sale, I can definitely say TQ is harder. Torchlight left me very sad that there was never a single difficult encounter, although some were a little tedious with the need for slow cautious play. Torchlight has far far better appeal visually to me, because I love the artistic style far more than attempted realism. TQ has a much more immersive world than TL. The terrain in any area will vary a bit with hills, cliffs, trees, caves, etc. making it feel much better than just bouncing from one rock to the next.

And finally, to compare to Sacred 2... Well the two had a lot in common. They both had very large very open worlds to explore. Sacred 2 is graphically far superior, although the engine in S2 is buggy and can cause many problems with freezing/crashing on some systems. Questing is more fun in TQ as chains actually have ends. Playing Sacred 2 if felt like a quest would never be over as they continually would make you bounce around an entire zone just to complete one quest, stopping in town five times just to tell the NPC 'Hi!' so they would give you permission to move on. It is much more straight forward in TQ, and the closest quest chains come to this are 'Thanks for saving our town, now please go meet the mayor of the next town'. I found the leveling system in Sacred 2, althogh akward, to be far superior to the garbage system in TQ.

bread's done
Back