Steam: Modern Warfare 2 Free Weekend

DukeEdwardI

CAGiversary!
Feedback
59 (100%)
mw2_spot.jpg

Link

Starting this Thursday at 4pm pacific time. Pre-loading is available.

So a sale on Modern Warfare 2 is a pretty safe bet after or during this free weekend. Which would be nice since a $60 PC game is more than I care to pay. Really with all the weekly sales through the various digital distribution services I haven't paid more than $30 for a game in quite awhile.

Sweet deal OP, well its not a deal financially but great find lol. I have played MW2 and Battlefield BC2, IMO BC2 all the way, there is way more fun to be had and the PC version of MW2 seems to just be a console port. Call of Duty ended its love for the PC at CoD2, they found a new home on consoles unfortunately.

http://social.bioware.com/brc/1693514

It'll probably be in the area of 20% ($45) during the weekend, which is still too much for me. I can get a sealed copy off of the 'Bay for much less than that.

[quote name='Mike UFC']It'll probably be in the area of 20% ($45) during the weekend, which is still too much for me. I can get a sealed copy off of the 'Bay for much less than that.[/QUOTE]

sounds about right for a game of this magnitude
and agree 45$ for short single player but massive multiplayer is pushing it

[quote name='Mike UFC']It'll probably be in the area of 20% ($45) during the weekend, which is still too much for me. I can get a sealed copy off of the 'Bay for much less than that.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, no way Activision runs a sale that will be worth it.

Actually, there is a real good chance this will be our weekend deal since the starting time of the free weekend coincides with the time Valve has been starting the weekend deals on Thursday. I'd rather see 50% off all CoD games, myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll have to wait and see for myself, some buddies of mine have been wanting me to get it so I have thought about but 60 and already have bough the 360 version. Needs to be a good deal.

Oh and thanks Mike UFC never thought of the 'Bay and saw that they are pretty cheap so thinking of going that route.:)

If you have the 360 version, stick with it. The 360 version runs way better than PC. I personally am a PC fanboy b4 people say Im bias. PC version has a horrible time finding games and they dont seem to be as dedicated as they are for consoles. Also, the voice chat is horrible. I guess this would be a good weekend to try it out for free though to form your own opinion :)

http://social.bioware.com/brc/1693514

PC version has a horrible time finding games and they dont seem to be as dedicated as they are for consoles.

That's because it's a PORT of the console versions and leave in matchmaking rather than let anyone use dedicated servers.

preload not even starting for me :cry:

I click the "Start preloading now" button and nothing happens
I don't even see it in the "my games" screen

[quote name='Cheadyp']Doesn't seem to work. It never even adds it to my download queue or anything.[/QUOTE]

Check your steamapps folder... mine is downloading despite not even showing up in the queue or the installed / downloading games tab.

Seems to be this way for a lot of people on the Steam forums, as well.

[quote name='geohouse']Damn only multiplayer, i'll pass.[/QUOTE]

Same, though I figured that would be the case. Too much to hope for, I guess. Not interested in competitive MP gaming.

[quote name='animalspinners']Check your steamapps folder... mine is downloading despite not even showing up in the queue or the installed / downloading games tab.

Seems to be this way for a lot of people on the Steam forums, as well.[/QUOTE]

Oh wow it is there. Hopefully it shows up in my account by the weekend. Thanks a lot.

[quote name='Cheadyp']Oh wow it is there. Hopefully it shows up in my account by the weekend. Thanks a lot.[/QUOTE]

Only problem is that I have no clue how to stop / cancel the preload... if you delete it from the Steamapps folder, it just restarts itself the next time you log back into Steam.

the call of duty series is dead for the pc i wont even play it on a free play weekend thats how much i despise there censorship of there forums and there lies.

Is calling it "the 'Bay" supposed to sound hip and cool?

[quote name='shingletingle']Is calling it "the 'Bay" supposed to sound hip and cool?[/QUOTE]

I dunno, I say that sometimes in real speak hahah. Post that shit up on the bay.

Thanks anyway OP. For around 2 years, COD:MW was one of my favorite games on PC. But, I'm part of the whiny no dedicated servers crowd. F Activision for F'ing their PC base with a crappy overpriced, over-hyped buggy as hell console port with a half-assed over-priced DLC pack. And for IW telling the PC users to go to hell. Oh yeah, and for firing their developers. And for Slobby Kotick and his recent weak attempt at backpedaling. What a joke. I haven't played it once, not even a demo, and I stubbornly refuse to ever play it based on principle. They won't get my $60, nor will they get my $45 dollars; they get zero. Smacktivision could give it away for free and I'd wipe my dog's ass with it (which would really piss him off...especially if it was downloadable) and still wouldn't play it. Now lets talk about a BC2 weekend.

[quote name='jeff1304']the call of duty series is dead for the pc i wont even play it on a free play weekend thats how much i despise there censorship of there forums and there lies.[/QUOTE]

No capitalization, no punctuation, and incorrectly-used words... Are you sure you're old enough to play this game, in any case?

If you are using Steam's beta UI and are having trouble preloading the game, try switching back to the original UI. At least, that got it preloading for me.

[quote name='Vegan']No capitalization, no punctuation, and incorrectly-used words... Are you sure you're old enough to play this game, in any case?[/QUOTE]

those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. at what age does someone learn to use hyphens? i'm all for keeping things in order, but heed this beloved idiom always.

[quote name='thakingrocka']those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. at what age does someone learn to use hyphens? i'm all for keeping things in order, but heed this beloved idiom always.[/QUOTE]

Zing.

[quote name='Homerun17']More like BAZINGA.....Some one gets this reference right?[/QUOTE]

ah, a big bang theory reference :)

[quote name='RockMySocks10']they should do a 75% off CoD4 instead :/[/QUOTE]

Good luck with that. That game has avoided every Steam sale since its release. It's even avoided the awesome end of the year ones.

Fucking Activision.

It wouldn't pre-load for me either this morning, but once I got back from work Steam popped up saying it was done pre-loading it.

[quote name='FireUltima']If you are using Steam's beta UI and are having trouble preloading the game, try switching back to the original UI. At least, that got it preloading for me.[/QUOTE]

that did the trick

[quote name='krnhorang85']lol, that's what the price originally should have been.[/QUOTE]

Almost, an extra dollar less and it'll match nearly all PC new PC releases... Looking your way, Assassin's Creed 2

bread's done
Back