Steam Summer Sale: Final Day discussion thread

Therapy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
28 (100%)
I've made this thread for people to share thoughts about (probably mostly smaller) games that are also on sale and have NOT been daily deals in the steam summer sale. The purpose is to have a smaller thread for people to search through and check for recommendations on games that might be overlooked. There's lots of stuff out there that people want and didn't make the daily deals. But they're still being sold for less than normal. So people generally pick those up on the final day of the sales.

So to be clear: this is NOT the thread to discuss daily deals. We have THIS thread for that.

Thoughts and recommendations for games like these? Post them here! Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Anomaly Warzone Earth - enjoyed the demo quite a bit, a reverse tower defense game

Dwarfs!? - liked the demo, feels like something I need time to really enjoy, gonna give it a shot.

Crayon Physics Deluxe - feels like an enjoyable physics puzzler

Capsized - very atmospheric platformer, great art style

Nimbus - another small game that seems worth a try

All have demos on Steam. Crayon is US$ 5.00, the rest are US$ 4.99.

I'll definitely get these games, just waiting to see if they show up on a daily deal.

Also, probably getting Just Cause 2 DLC, waiting to see if they have a deal again on the last day.

[quote name='Therapy']For me it's these games I'm thinking about:

Majesty Gold Edition
Fallout
Fallout 2
Samorost 2
The Stronghold Collection

If anyone has any thoughts about or experience with these games: share :D[/QUOTE]

I ended up buying Fallout/2/Tactics from gog.com. You get a lot of nice little extras and no DRM whatsoever, for $1 more. (I stupidly forgot about their sale when they had them for half off last week. :wall: )

[quote name='Jodou']Why is this in the deals forum?[/QUOTE]
Because we're discussing what deals to buy from the Steam sale?

[quote name='Jodou']Why is this in the deals forum?[/QUOTE]

Because (almost) every game is on sale right now. Even though the percentages are lower than the daily deals.

That Fallout collection looks pretty tasty. I'm assuming Fallout 2 comes patched past the horribly buggy and wonky version, yes? Also, how nice do the Steam fallouts play with say, the Hi-Res mods?

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']I ended up buying Fallout/2/Tactics from gog.com. You get a lot of nice little extras and no DRM whatsoever, for $1 more. (I stupidly forgot about their sale when they had them for half off last week. :wall: )
[/QUOTE]

Yea I heard about that earlier. But they can't be played on steam right? I just like to be able to access the steam community easily while I'm gaming.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']Because we're discussing what deals to buy from the Steam sale?[/QUOTE]
FixT. It might surprise you to know there's a PC discussion forum, too.

Pendulu Collection of Next Big Thing, and all three Runaway games for 33$.. waiting to see if it goes on sale cheaper.. Does the sale end Sunday or Monday afternoon?

[quote name='Jodou']FixT. It might surprise you to know there's a PC discussion forum, too.[/QUOTE]
Pointing out deals to people who may only have paid attention to daily deals still counts as a deal. There are specific deals posted in this thread that meets the criteria of this forum. Sorry if you don't like it.

May I suggest the OP starts listing these games in the original post, that way this is a compilation of steam deals that were not included as daily deals.

So we could not discuss this on the thread because...it would clutter the other thread?

you are such a good samaritan OP
God forbid we clutter the other thread with our discussion of deals!

sw: republic commando for me. i'd love to pick it up cheaper, but i need to play that again as soon as possible. i'm just about to wrap up the third republic commando novel and i'm jonesin'.

other than that, might pick up nba 2k11. still hoping it'll be in the last batch of dailies.

[quote name='cRodz']So we could not discuss this on the thread because...it would clutter the other thread?

you are such a good samaritan OP
God forbid we clutter the other thread with our discussion of deals![/QUOTE]

This is just so people can get a good overview of recommendations for the final day about games that have not been daily deals and otherwise may be overlooked. People in the other thread mentioned that these recommendations would be impossible to find in the hugeness that is that thread. That is why I made this one. If you don't like it, bugger off.

[quote name='icarusmight']This thread being here is dumb. Carry on.[/QUOTE]

Same goes for you. Obvious troll is obvious.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']I'd recommend the Freedom Force pack. I've had a LOT of fun with them over the years. They're old, but only $5 for the two games is a nice price.[/QUOTE]

FWIW, my opinion on these games is: pure win.
Don't watch video reviews on youtube. they dont really give the game justice
I bought these games based solely on one premise:
http://archive.gamespy.com/comics/forcemonkeys/comics/01-25-03/

The game is really fun. its easy to pick up and play. It is definitely strategic, and each character develops in an RPG sort of way. I can't say enough good things about it. Except that it might be a TAD slow. Great modding, great user creation. Another Sad story of great games gone unplayed.

[quote name='Therapy']Yea I heard about that earlier. But they can't be played on steam right? I just like to be able to access the steam community easily while I'm gaming.[/QUOTE]

You can still do that with GOG stuff, just add it as a non-steam game to the Steam client. You won't get some of Steam's perks, like recording your playtime for each title, but the overlay is still there.

I've looked through all of the $5 or less deals and picked out what interests me and also what I recommend. I also tried to avoid any games that have been daily deals or ticket games.

Interested:
The Mawesome Pack $11.99 ($2.99)
Zen Bound 2 $4.99 ($1.00)
Mr. Robot $9.99 ($2.49)
Who's that Flying?! $5.99 ($4.01)
Capsized $9.99 ($4.99)
Diamond Dan $9.99 ($4.99)
Turba $9.99 ($4.99)
Mevo and The Grooveriders $9.99 ($4.99)

Recommend:
Penny Arcade Adventures: Precipice of Darkness Combo Pack $11.99 ($1.80)
Chime $4.99 ($1.25) great shape game, top-notch production values
Osmos $9.99 ($2.49) for when you want to relax. a lot.
Painkiller Black $9.99 ($4.99) the only Painkiller you need
Dwarfs!? $9.99 ($4.99) nice collection of games and a very fun TD bonus game
Shatter $9.99 ($2.50)

I'm considering theses games on the last day:
Capsized
Dwarfs
Eufloria
and maybe Aquaria. I;m not sure how I feel about this one. Probably not.

Can anyone recommend a good a good RTS that can run on a Intel GMA? I'm a fan of Age of Empires I, II, and III, and I'm currently playing Empire at War.

[quote name='Fakinmail123']I've got my eye on A.R.E.S., Capsized, Fallout 1 and 2.

I'm still really hoping for a deal on Shank...[/QUOTE]

If you have a PS3 Shank goes on sale on July 12th.

I'm interested in VVVVVV. It's been at 50% off (2.49) for the duration of the sale, so perhaps a small chance at 75% off on the last day. A friend recommended it to me and I enjoyed the demo.

Witcher 1
Vampire Bloodlines
Morrowind Didn't go daily. < 5$.
Civ 3 ditto. 1.25$ for complete
Civ 4 dito. 7.50$ for complete.

Disciples 2/Jagged Alliance Combo
The Void
Drakensang River of Time + DLC
1C Space Collection (Star Wolves/Space Rangers)
Fallout 1/2 Not cheap enough. 10$ is *not* a deal.
Section 8 Prejudice Probably not, I've got a ton of other MP shooters to play (BC2/BlackOps)

I find the want to add games I've already played and own into Steam so DUMB, but I can't fight the urge. See Fallout 1/2, Civ3, Vampire Bloodlines, Morrowind, Jagged Alliance 2. Uhg.

[quote name='Fonz72']If you have a PS3 Shank goes on sale on July 12th.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the head's up. I saw that in the forums earlier in the week. I'm really trying to make a habit of buying indie games and cross-platform games on steam rather than on consoles. I'm reaching my mid-twenties and I know that at some point I am going to have to abandon console gaming altogether and this way I can keep easier tabs on my digital library.

Plus, I am weary of Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo. I don't know their official stance on digital downloads when the next set of consoles comes around. Are they still mine to keep, will they port them over or will they try to make me re-download. My gut tells me they would try to force a re-purchase. I wish I didn't feel this way.

Not seeing Shank on sale is a disappointment. I own it (Double dipped on 360 AND Steam!) and have beaten it many times. It's an excellent beat-em-up.

Also sad no Bloodrayne sales.

From what I've seen, I may have to bite on ARES, Painkiller Black, Lost Horizon.

Just going through my Steam list, I'll see what I can suggest (Note suggest, not recommend. If I feel strongly about an item in the list, I'll let you know.):
Broken Sword Pack $6 and change
Darkstar One $2.50
Death to Spies Gold $12.50
Freedom Force pack (Recommended earlier and I second this. It's sort of a super hero strategy with RPG leveling elements and party synergy.)
Nation Red (Simple Smash TV style game. Nothing special but decent time waster)
NyxQuest $2.50 (Really recommend this platformer. Ported from Wiiware. Quite good. You want an overlooked )
Second Sight $3.34 (If you haven't played this, you probably should. The makers of Timesplitters made this third person sneaker shooter psi game that wasn't as FUN as Psi Ops and couldn't quite figure out if it wanted to pace itself like Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, or Gears of War, but it was still quite good. Practically DRIPS with 'cruddy console port' though.)
Sid Meier's Pirates $6.69
Sid Meier's Railroads $6.69

Is there anything I should make sure to grab with my tickets even if I don't own the game. I might decide to pick one of the games up later and I'm almost out of tickets.

bread's done
Back