Steam- Torchlight $10

Fyi, for those longing for multiplayer, seems that there's a fair bit of work being done on a "proof of concept" for multiplayer Torch over on the Runic forums.
Link.
Who knows, maybe Diablo 3 will have any early challenger after all.

Hah! I was holding out for this! I loved the demo, so it was very hard for me not to grab this at $20. And it's definitely worth it at $20! $10 is an absolute steal. Patience was definitely a virtue this time. Thank you, Steam :)

Awesome game, well worth the $20 I payed for it a few weeks ago. Kinda wish I had waited though, I figured there wouldn't be a 50% off or more deal of such a new and cheap title so soon.
Well, it now has Steam cloud support and achievements, can't complain!

Jodou, this could be either a compliment or an insult, but you are one cheap bastard :)

D3 won't be out until 2011 at the earliest, if not 2012-2013. Torchlight is easily worth $10 my friend.

[quote name='Liveforlaughs76']Torchlight $10
http://store.steampowered.com/app/41500/

Getting in right before Direct2Drive. I love you steam:applause:[/QUOTE]

Well played, Steam.

I was waiting for D2D because there were no Steam achievements or Steam Cloud support anyway, so $10 was all that mattered. Now Steam answers with both, and the same price as D2D and before they can pull their deal.

Just Steam staying #1. :bouncy:

Wow, D2D got punked. Easiest purchase decision this holiday season, IMO. This eases the pain on getting rejected at both BB and Target on the MW2 price mistake.

Been wanting it, but have very, very, very little time to play it. Figured whenever it hit $10 I'd finally jump, so now I have. Thanks for the notice on it - I would likely have missed it otherwise.

The guys at D2D must be pulling their hair out right now... all these sales were going to be theirs. Sometimes I worry about Steam becoming too dominant, but when they do things like this it's easy to see why they are so popular.

This is an amazing game so far. Only in for 2 hours but damn am I enjoying myself =D Only thing I don't like is my summon imp spell not always summoning. looked it up and happens from time to time.

lol I knew this would happen but I bought it at $20 anyway.. but achievements??!?! YESSSSSSSSSSSS and steam cloud???!?! yess no more Dropbox.. =) time to log in and get it on steam cloud

[quote name='xHOJUx']The guys at D2D must be pulling their hair out right now... all these sales were going to be theirs. Sometimes I worry about Steam becoming too dominant, but when they do things like this it's easy to see why they are so popular.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say "all" of these sales were going to be theirs. I'm sure I'm not alone in waiting for a good sale price on Steam. I'm not the biggest fan of Valve as a company but Steam makes PC gaming mostly tolerable by removing all the hassle of patching and the games, for the most part, just work.

I'm not sure I'd buy from D2D at any price.

[quote name='mailman27']Bought. Does anyone know if my character from the demo will transfer to the full version?[/QUOTE]Yes, I just bought it on Steam and my character was waiting for me in the full version.

naive question.

Steam is it like itunes for games? I have never used it.. do i need a bunch of other shit to get this game to work? Do I need to hand my PC over to steam with it constantly running shit in the background, etc?

How long is the game... not the infinite dungeon or whatever, just the main game. Not some endless romp like wow is it?

This was an easy purchase. With Cloud support I am a happy man because the kids don't have to play it on MY computer all the time, they can harass my wife!

[quote name='hpv']Is that supposed to be funny, clever, or cute? I can never tell with Penny Arcade but they never seem to be any of those things.[/QUOTE]

Personally, I thought it was all those things :p

Can't get it to download, says severs too busy.

Re: Penny Arcade - I think it's supposed to be all, read Tycho's post related to the comic. They loved the game, BTW.

UPDATE: Changed my download region, now working!

I've never bought anything off of Steam, is it possible to buy it off their website (off my laptop) w/o the Steam client and then it'll download when I log into Steam on my desktop? Reason I'm asking is that I have a Mac laptop (no Boot Camp) with a PC desktop.

Just tried the demo. . .I'll definitely wait til $5 lol. Never thought Diablo style combat could put me to sleep so fast.

[quote name='menikmati']I've never bought anything off of Steam, is it possible to buy it off their website (off my laptop) w/o the Steam client and then it'll download when I log into Steam on my desktop? Reason I'm asking is that I have a Mac laptop (no Boot Camp) with a PC desktop.[/QUOTE]

Yep. You can buy games off the Steam website and download later on any computer.

[quote name='Pajama_Man']Yep. You can buy games off the Steam website and download later on any computer.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, will be purchasing a copy for myself and a friend then.

Sweet! I almost caved and bought this for full price around 1pm today. I'm glad I waited. I can even use it on Steam. Awesome!

I like how even Steam stopped advertising the free weekend of Team Fortress 2 and switched the banner to Torchlight. Truly, this is a worthwhile Weekend Deal.

I hope everyone is satisfied. Some threads have been muddied up horribly by the wishes for a cheaper Torchlight, and now a deal has arrived.

Good job, Steam, good job indeed.

I wonder if their marketing team watches sites like this one for what people are wanting. They were pretty spot on with this deal.

Nice. Been wanting this after getting back into this kind of game after the $5 Titan Quest I picked up from D2D from their anniversary sale :)

As a businessman myself, I'd personally do the research at well-known forums like these [if I was in this particular line of business]. After all, these are your customers, and they spread the word when able. (And make their demands known, as was the case with CAGer's and Torchlight.) That's vital if you want to stand out in the world of Digital Download services.

So, if I had to make a guess, I'd choose "Yes."

Any idea if this would work on an HP Mini netbook? It's new! I've been PC-less for a few years and still don't get all the requirements and whatnot.

[quote name='Marker']Personally, I thought it was all those things :p[/QUOTE]

It seems like that's supposed to be the point, and a lot of people seem to think they are, but at best I find Penny Arcade to be obvious, pointless, and boring. More often than not they're like a black hole of unfunny that sucks the funny out of everything around them. They do decent art from time to time (I think the Dragon Age comic is pretty nice looking) but they need to hire a good writer.

I actually just saw the first PA comic I ever found amusing the other day. Probably should have saved it somewhere because it's unlikely to happen again and now I don't even remember what it was about.

[quote name='callmesteam']Any idea if this would work on an HP Mini netbook? It's new! I've been PC-less for a few years and still don't get all the requirements and whatnot.[/QUOTE]

theres a netbook mode so yeah it will run

[quote name='Nelo Ice']theres a netbook mode so yeah it will run[/QUOTE]

awesome. i'll try it now. whats a 'netbook' mode? is it like a low-res mode?

[quote name='Snake2715']naive question.

Steam is it like itunes for games? I have never used it.. do i need a bunch of other shit to get this game to work? Do I need to hand my PC over to steam with it constantly running shit in the background, etc?[/QUOTE]

you dont need anything other than the steam app which is quite small on its own. Steam will need to be running in the background but its not doing anything malicious and doesnt suck up resources. It simply needs to phone home to confirm that there is only one user logged into the account.

Curious question:

On the Torchlight blog, it indicates that the retail version of the game will have a ferret as a third pet. The blog fails to mention if it'll be updated to the other versions of the game, or be a retail exclusive pet. Any ideas?

bread's done
Back