Steam - UT3 Free Weekend + 40% off purchase

Not sure if I want to get UT3 again, gonna see if I can get it disk for same if not less otherwise I might cave in.

[quote name='husyk']Not sure if I want to get UT3 again, gonna see if I can get it disk for same if not less otherwise I might cave in.[/quote]

You can apply the retail UT3 "cd-key" into Steam and then have access to the Steamworks features like achievements etc.

This deal sucks. I purchased the game back in the holiday sale for $10 and uninstalled it after like an hour of playing it.

However, I do plan on learning how to mod it sometime in the future, so maybe this will do some good.

I've never played a Unreal tournament game. What can I expect out of this? Is it worth 10 bucks? Is there a game like it that it compares/shares the same qualities?

[quote name='Xiemos']I've never played a Unreal tournament game. What can I expect out of this? Is it worth 10 bucks? Is there a game like it that it compares/shares the same qualities?[/quote]

UT3 is a good game, but lacked content that UT2004 had. Also the fact Epic did a sloppy job at launch then pretty much abondoned its fanbase. The Unreal Pack on Steam is not a bad deal.

[quote name='Xiemos']I've never played a Unreal tournament game. What can I expect out of this? Is it worth 10 bucks? Is there a game like it that it compares/shares the same qualities?[/QUOTE]

Give it a try.

You can play it for free for this weekend. Just download it from Steam.

[quote name='Raymond']So this is like a trial version? Only last for the weekend?[/QUOTE]

Yes, unless you pay the $11.99

[quote name='EDD THE PEZ']Steam=Greatness!!![/QUOTE]

You obviously dont use it that much.. Steam= pain in ass
But I like a lot of the games they have so I have to use it its a catch 22 really, damned if you do, damned if you dont

I got it with the Unreal Deal pack as well and my god that interface was shit. Not only that, but their documentation on what ports to open to play Co-Op was nonexistant. Hell, I put my comp on the DMZ and it *STILL* said it had problems communicating...

[quote name='spuffin']I got it with the Unreal Deal pack as well and my god that interface was shit. Not only that, but their documentation on what ports to open to play Co-Op was nonexistant. Hell, I put my comp on the DMZ and it *STILL* said it had problems communicating...[/quote]

Same here, but I'm just now installing it. Thankfully I won't have to experience the crappy pre-Titan version.

GameStop has this game for $12.99. I know only ONE of my local GS that doesn't gut their PC games, I may pick it up after the weekend, but for now I can test UT3 legit on my system first.

If not I have the 360 version to fall back on, thanks OP.

[quote name='dealighted']You obviously dont use it that much.. Steam= pain in ass
But I like a lot of the games they have so I have to use it its a catch 22 really, damned if you do, damned if you dont[/QUOTE]

How is it a pain in the ass?

[quote name='Pajama_Man']You can apply the retail UT3 "cd-key" into Steam and then have access to the Steamworks features like achievements etc.[/quote]

I've already tried this, it doesn't work for this game. Unless there is some special format for the code that I am missing.

[quote name='GaveUpTomorrow']I've already tried this, it doesn't work for this game. Unless there is some special format for the code that I am missing.[/quote]

What error do you receive? Invalid CD key? CD key already in-use?

[quote name='Serik']What error do you receive? Invalid CD key? CD key already in-use?[/quote]

Edit: Nevermind, I got it to work. Seems I mistyped it twice. OOPS. Thanks though.

[quote name='Xfactor19990']is community still alive?[/quote]Barely...

@GaveUpTomorrow - This might help. I had trouble activating my DoW II the other day but finally got it to work after about 10 mins after misreading one letter for another.

[quote name='GaveUpTomorrow']I get an invalid cd key. It can't be in use as I bought it new at target, so I'm the only one who has owned it. I enter it as XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX, but no go. There is also an access code, not sure what to do with that if anything.[/quote]

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1968-HKLX-7538

If none of that helps, you can contact Steam support. If you have proof-of-purchase, they might be able to activate it on your account.

I agree - but right now it is being terrible, I can barely get UT3 downloaded. I hope this is a test for expanding their servers or some shit.

My download goes from 500 KB/s to 800 KB/s. Then it'll hit 200 KB/s for a bit. Only one hour left thankfully

This game gets too much flak, it's a lot of fun in small doses and it looks phenomenal. 10 dollars is a good buy for it, I got it for 15 back at the winter sale.

I bought the CE for $60 the day it came out and it was the worst $60 I've ever spent on a game. It crashed every 10-20 mins. when it ran and then ceased to work at all on a system that runs everything else without a hitch. No amount of un/reinstalling, updating drivers, editing .INI files got it to run and browsing the Epic support forums showed I wasn't alone in having these problems.

Toss in the buggy Gears of War PC port and it's clear that Epic has abandoned PC gamers because the real money is in consoles. The fact that they have to offer all this extra content a year later is a tacit admission that they blew it and screwed their customers. Buy at your own risk.

[quote name='DirkBelig']I bought the CE for $60 the day it came out and it was the worst $60 I've ever spent on a game. It crashed every 10-20 mins. when it ran and then ceased to work at all on a system that runs everything else without a hitch. No amount of un/reinstalling, updating drivers, editing .INI files got it to run and browsing the Epic support forums showed I wasn't alone in having these problems.[/QUOTE]

I suggest throwing your CD key on steam and giving it another go. It works like a charm for me.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']I suggest throwing your CD key on steam and giving it another go. It works like a charm for me.[/quote]I was in a rush and forgot to mention that I have already switched to the Steam install, but that doesn't work either. It had the same video driver-killing (forcing a reboot) behavior as the disc copy, but I was able to get it running for a brief time after editing an INI, but it only improved to the old crash-after-10-minutes behavior of before. It sucks to have to slog thru a boring botmatch only to have it crash and waste your efforts. Rinse. Repeat. Wish you'd spent your money on something else.

UT3 has been a massive waste of time. I have spent multiples of time more trying to get it to run than actually playing it. The fact that they botched the UI and then never fixed it until now proves that Epic doesn't care. They could've just slapped the old UT2K4 UI on it and no one would've cared. Some modder could've been hired to whip something up in a weekend in exchange for an autographed Lancer replica and lunch with Dude Huge (fka Cliffy B), but they didn't do that. They just counted their stacks of Xbox 360 cash and laughed at the suckers who still thought the UT brand stood for something.

I hate to see it turn to shit for you, it's a pretty fun kill fest. True it lacks the charm, community and support that 2K4 had but it's still a decent game. Sorry it didn't work, maybe your vid card is ancient?

I keep getting an error when trying to download the UT3 black from steam.

Anyone else getting this?>

[quote name='s2k']I keep getting an error when trying to download the UT3 black from steam.

Anyone else getting this?>[/QUOTE]

Is it the "Steam servers are too busy"? That's what happens when you wave free stuff in the millions of steam users faces, they all go to get it. Try to switch which server you're trying to DL it from (File, Settings, Downloads, Download region)

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']I hate to see it turn to shit for you, it's a pretty fun kill fest. True it lacks the charm, community and support that 2K4 had but it's still a decent game. Sorry it didn't work, maybe your vid card is ancient?[/quote]

I agree, there is something wrong with his system. UT3 has been working flawlessly on my system for better part of the year.

From a ATi 1800 to a 2450 to a 3870

I would guess a bad video driver, or too low of a graphics card, maybe overheating, I bet it's overheated.

[quote name='s2k']I keep getting an error when trying to download the UT3 black from steam.

Anyone else getting this?>[/quote]

Same problem here. I've tried switching content servers, even picking non-US ones. No dice. I guess by the time I get it the free weekend will be over.

I too have been trying this for more than 24 hours with no luck. I keep trying again every hour or so just to get the same error message.

[quote name='SirChadlyOC']I too have been trying this for more than 24 hours with no luck. I keep trying again every hour or so just to get the same error message.
transparent_pixel.gif

[/quote]

Hehe then give up altogether? hehe

Saint

I picked this up for $9.99 the last time it was on sale on Steam. I just wish more people played this online. It's really not a bad game. It certainly feels like an Unreal Tournament game, aside from the brown filter and not being able to jump as high as you could in the original. Hopefully the patch brings some more people in.

I think the Steam servers are in panic mode. With something to "complete" UT3 and maybe getting the fun factor to UT04, I think everyone downloading it is just crushing the servers they have.

Massive bandwidth... I think it's like 10GBs total.

[quote name='xycury']I agree, there is something wrong with his system. UT3 has been working flawlessly on my system for better part of the year.

From a ATi 1800 to a 2450 to a 3870

I would guess a bad video driver, or too low of a graphics card, maybe overheating, I bet it's overheated.[/quote]I love how people ignore the comments that the rig runs everything else fine when they leap to the assumption that it's an underpowered, overheated system with bad drivers.

While my 3800 X2/2GB RAM/WinXP system is three years old, I had problems running UT3 with both single and SLIed 8800GTs (512MB) and I've updated with WHQL, beta, and TRU tweaked drivers countless times in the hopes that one of them would be the one that makes the stupid game work so I could get some enjoyment and play time for my money.

This system runs just about every game (but Crysis) from the past couple of years at 1680 or 1920 rezes with all details cranked up to the max or near-max. Company of Heroes, Mirror's Edge, Far Cry 2, Fallout 3 (with high rez texture mods), Bioshock, World in Conflict and such play fast and pretty and without crashing! (I once zoned out on Fallout 3 for five hours to suddenly realize it had gotten dark out and I was cold and hungry.) When you're having a problem with ONE GAME out of a bunch and you see a lot of people with similar problems on the support forums, to suggest that it's an isolated problem with my system is specious.

You're also ignoring the problems with Gears of War PC. My friend had to buy a new DVD drive to get the damn thing installed and then had his hours of play time rewarded with his save games vaporizing. I'd only played about 60-90 minutes in when my saves disappeared. EPIC DOESN'T CARE ABOUT PC GAMERS ANYMORE!!!! WAKE UP!!!! The botch job they did on their last two PC titles is proof for any suspicions you'd have that console title sales are distracting them.

None of this even touches on the sheer suck of the game, what little I've seen of it. Stupid "story" mode (what does F.L.A.G. stand for?); cluttered "Gears of Unreal" art style; all the cool modes from UT2K4 like Assault and Bombing Run ditched, etc.; it bespeaks a lazy, arrogant company who killed their franchise D-E-A-D and are throwing a Hail Mary in hopes that they can lure some people back. I've been DLing the patches all day and when I get home, I'll give it a shot. I'd love to be able to finally play the darn thing that I paid for on November 19, 2007.

[quote name='DirkBelig']I love how people ignore the comments that the rig runs everything else fine when they leap to the assumption that it's an underpowered, overheated system with bad drivers.[/quote]

Not ignoring anything, a single game could be coded wrong too. But like I have stated, I've got steam and I've got a local install, both fine, so then one must have to look at hardware and drivers.

Where is the forums of issues? is it with a particular card? or memory? or mainboard?

It's not the game it has to be with hardware or drivers or a combination of both.

You might have found the unlucky three that makes you unable to run the game.

Congrats.

A brief update: I launched it and it immediately gave a warning that the drivers were known to be incompatible and to get new ones from nVidia. That's different. I started it up anyway and played a botmatch without crashing, but that's not proof it's fixed.

Here's a 30-second video of the end of that game. The mouse movement is a little jerky, but always was. (Never had it working long enough to tweak it out.) Captured in FRAPS, limited to 30 fps, originally 1920x1200 with everything full tilt.

[quote name='husyk']Not sure if I want to get UT3 again, gonna see if I can get it disk for same if not less otherwise I might cave in.[/quote]

I bought UT3 new at Game stop last week for $14

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']See? I hate to pull an "Itoldyouso" (Well I didn't but xycurry did) so don't be so quick to jump down throats.[/quote]If you mean the drivers, get over yourself. I've tried probably 10 drivers (at least) over the past year-plus. What's happening here is that they've changed something with this patch that requires updated drivers, not I've been using wrong drivers all this time. Yeesh.

[quote name='DirkBelig']If you mean the drivers, get over yourself. I've tried probably 10 drivers (at least) over the past year-plus. What's happening here is that they've changed something with this patch that requires updated drivers, not I've been using wrong drivers all this time. Yeesh.[/QUOTE]

Regardless, you were quick to make some harsh statements about UT3 and Epic, not to mention snapping at curry. I'm just saying if it works for everyone BUT you, it's probably something YOU did.

bread's done
Back