Steam Weekend Deal: 20-75% off MMO games

Yay, steam gets no money from me this week. Although I already own Guild Wars, and due to its unique status as an MMO without fees, it seems odd that I cannot install my account through Steam.

That makes very little sense Arch. Any game you own can't just be downloaded and used through Steam. 95% of the games on Steam don't' require a fee to play.

Anyway. I was a huge fan of EQ until the PoP expansion. I skipped EQ2 partly due to the system requirements at the time (to actually look good) and my friends went to WoW. WoW hasn't really thrilled me over the years of picking it up and dropping it again...it might be time to check out EQ2.

Might get AoC as well for that price, I can try it out.

So which one of these actually has a free month to play attached to them? I wanted to get Guild wars goty edition, but it's still 20. Having it on sale for 9.99 woulda been kinda nice I guess.

[quote name='JUDOHAWK']So which one of these actually has a free month to play attached to them? I wanted to get Guild wars goty edition, but it's still 20. Having it on sale for 9.99 woulda been kinda nice I guess.[/QUOTE]
I checked for the exact same thing when I heard about this deal. I would rather pay $10 now to see if I like it rather than $40.

[quote name='campbelld']I checked for the exact same thing when I heard about this deal. I would rather pay $10 now to see if I like it rather than $40.[/QUOTE]

Eve Online comes with a free month

also Everquest II: The Shadow Odyssey includes the expansion and ALL previous expansions/adventure packs for Everquest II

pretty damn good deal for anyone thinking of getting into that game

edit: it also comes with free 30 day period for new subscribers

Are any of these free to play?

Edit: Look like Vanguard: Saga of Heroes, Pirates of the Burning Sea and Guild Wars are the only non-monthly fee titles. (I think.)

Last edited:
[quote name='JUDOHAWK']So one can just buy EQ2 TSO and start playing? It includes all the base files?[/QUOTE]

That seems like the case but why is Rise of Kunark Starter Pack even priced higher? :\

[quote name='Brak']Are any of these free to play?

Edit: Look like Vanguard: Saga of Heroes, Pirates of the Burning Sea and Guild Wars are the only non-monthly fee titles. (I think.)[/QUOTE]

Vanguard requires a monthly membership fee.

So does Pirates.

Those two didn't have the little orange warning on their product pages, so I was confused. :cool:

-

Eh. This deal doesn't interest me. I can't justify monthly fees, and none of the games do anything for me. (Except for City of Heroes.)

Hey I'm payin for WoW right now and might play it once a week for a couple hours. If moneys tight I understand, but 15 a month isn't too bad for something you can enjoy with your friends.

Yea. If Guild Wars had been $20-30, I probably would have bit. Otherwise these just don't interest me much. If the $20 up front was stopping you from picking up an mmo, putting it on sale for $10 isn't really going to get me (or anyone?) to pick it up. After all, it's $10-15 a month every month after....

just FYI even with a free month all of the subsciption based MMOs do require that you enter a CC before playing anything. They will then charge you after your trial is up unless you cancel. Just a heads up.

[quote name='Archgarth']Yay, steam gets no money from me this week. Although I already own Guild Wars, and due to its unique status as an MMO without fees, it seems odd that I cannot install my account through Steam.[/QUOTE]
I would guess it costs developers/publishers extra to put retail keys into Steam which is why you can do it with only a few games.

[quote name='JUDOHAWK']So one can just buy EQ2 TSO and start playing? It includes all the base files?[/QUOTE]Yes, it's the base game and all the expansion packs.

[quote name='Pajama_Man']That seems like the case but why is Rise of Kunark Starter Pack even priced higher? :\[/QUOTE]No idea. The retail copy of TSO includes all existing expansions, so I don't see why the Steam version wouldn't. Also, Sony have their own digital download service for expansions -- seems like they are using Steam to draw in new players.

FWIW, Pirates of the Burning Sea is $7.49 on Amazon and Vanguard is $9.97 on Amazon, so those aren't really deals.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I read that the EQ2:TSO download excludes some extras that you get if you buy the retail boxed copy. Like a mount and some other stuff I think. I can't remember exactly what it was unfortunately, but just wanted to mention that as a possible caveat for anyone. It might not be a big deal.

I keep wanting to go back to City of Heroes/Villains, but I never do... architect edition may be nice... then again later this year Champions Online will be around... I think i'll wait for that.
151l1259.jpg

[quote name='Drizzt']I think I read that the EQ2:TSO download excludes some extras that you get if you buy the retail boxed copy. Like a mount and some other stuff I think. I can't remember exactly what it was unfortunately, but just wanted to mention that as a possible caveat for anyone. It might not be a big deal.[/QUOTE]Yes, it seems that you will miss out on the Dire Bear mount/pet -- the retail box also includes a pewter figure of the same. I'm not enough of an EQ2 player to say whether this matters, but the Steam version is 1/3 the cost of the boxed copy.

bread's done
Back