Steam Weekend Deal (4/15 - 4/18): Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 50% off

Sweet, I'd buy that for 14.99; got the regular version on PS3, and would like to see if it runs on my computer (which is pretty decent as gaming computers go). Thanks for the heads up.

[quote name='jp0213']Tempting. Does have 360 controller support as well.[/QUOTE]

I google'd to see and it looks like it does. Bought it and WOW...downloading and it's a whooping 25+GB download

Yeah the size kinda sucks but I really enjoyed the game on 360 but really didn't play much of the downloadable content. I'm getting ready to go see if there is a mod community for the pc version. I'll probably still buy either way, but would be nice to see some mods for it.

[quote name='Burchamj']I thought I heard it was a pretty bad port.. Any comments?[/QUOTE]

It was ported by Aspyr, and from what I've read it's got a good deal of problems.

I'll really have to do some research on this one if I get it... judging from the Steam forums the game seems to be a mess.

That 25 + GB install though is because you are downloading all the files for all the languages... Aspyr never bothered to seperate them based on region, so you get a super inflated download size. Probably the first tip that this is a crappy port. The system requirements are also insanely high too, for something that is just a console port (and seems to lack advanced graphics options in the menus).

I know the PC port is also capped at 30 FPS. I doubt there is mod support, seeing as how it's a cash in port.

Yeah, no mods so far and it doesn't appear that anyone has cared enough to actually attempt to make any.

They released a patch almost immediately after the game shipped to fix some of the bugs with the game. Alas, it's still a bad port, with VERY limited tweaking of sound/graphics. It's playable, but the extras aren't worth it at all if you have played the original release. Plus, it's a whopping 25gb download, which it really did not warrant. IMO, wait for $10 or below.

It sounds like there's no reason to choose this version over the 360/PS3 one. Steam can offer it for any price, I'm going to fire up a console for this game.

Capped at 30 FPS? Really? Sorry, Aspyr, I'm not desperate enough to buy a crap port.

Found this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxpYeNqBYLY

In the array of text, it mentions that the game looks smoother in the video because it's rendered. To that I say WTF? What kind of sense does that make? 30FPS games ran just fine in the 90s. Sucks that it's 30FPS at all, but at least it's a workable FPS.

If you've got the hardware, it looks like it will play just fine.

[quote name='Chuplayer']
In the array of text, it mentions that the game looks smoother in the video because it's rendered. To that I say WTF? What kind of sense does that make? 30FPS games ran just fine in the 90s. Sucks that it's 30FPS at all, but at least it's a workable FPS.

If you've got the hardware, it looks like it will play just fine.[/QUOTE]

Looks like, but it has an array of problems you can't see just looking around the Steam forums - here are some issues with the game (non graphics related).

If you rebind your keys, the new prompts won't show up... it will still be the prompts for the old keys during the QTE's.

The game seems horribly adapted for use with a mouse (lots of issues about certain events being impossible to do with a mouse) - if you've got a controller for your PC, but if not, it's a warning. Hell, the menus itself have zero mouse support... really? In a PC game from 2010?

The game is unoptimized, in everything from install time to graphics options. At $15, some people might want to give it a shot, but Aspyr is known for fucking things up.

I thought the game was good enough on the consoles, but I just want people to be informed on any potential issues before they throw down $15 expecting it to work. If you've got a 360 / PS3, might as well wait for a deal if you really want to play it.

Really tempted to get in on this, but I could also see this game going down to 75% off during the next big Steam sale ... so I'm kind of torn. Then again, if they bundle it with a bunch of other Lucas Arts stuff, I own most of their games that I want, so maybe now is the right time to bite?

[quote name='RockMySocks10']tempting, but I have and beat the game for Wii, don't know if it's worth a double dip for the SE.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't call the Wii a double dip with the PS3/360/PC versions of the Sith Edition, they appear to be pretty different games, even if it is mostly visually.

30 FPS is solid enough that it's smooth. Movies and TV shows display at under that (24 for movies, 29.97 for tv) and they're smooth enough. I doubt it would detract. I'll have to think about this, I have a 360 wired controller for Windows, and the PC power to run this...

[quote name='animalspinners']I know the PC port is also capped at 30 FPS.[/QUOTE]

PASS! Still a good deal for those who don't own a 360 or PS3 though.

Went ahead and picked it up. I see this being part of a LucasArts pack during the Steam sales at the end of the year. Probably be closest to the cheapest it will be. Once I get the download done I'll post my thoughts on it's performance. I know some people have problems with the locked 30FPS and while it will be an irritant, as long as the gameplay is smooth I'll be fine.

[quote name='Animefalcon']skip it dont buy it, it ran poorly on core 2 quad and a 260 gtx[/QUOTE]
Always nice to see people with identical setups. Good choice in hardware, Mr. Falcon.

To everyone else, simply say no to 30 FPS.

[quote name='jp0213']Went ahead and picked it up. I see this being part of a LucasArts pack during the Steam sales at the end of the year. Probably be closest to the cheapest it will be. Once I get the download done I'll post my thoughts on it's performance. I know some people have problems with the locked 30FPS and while it will be an irritant, as long as the gameplay is smooth I'll be fine.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for taking one for the team. ;) I look forward to your thoughts on this. I'd like to pick it up, to be honest.

[quote name='AionTelos']25gb's of space... that doesn't sound very appealing at all...
Shame, game looks pretty fun too.[/QUOTE]

On 360 and PS3 it was really fun! :) On PC, I'm not sure. I'm hoping we'll hear soon though. :)

Best Wishes!

[quote name='Sylvanus']Thanks for taking one for the team. ;) I look forward to your thoughts on this. I'd like to pick it up, to be honest.[/QUOTE]
Well it's downloaded and installed but I don't get off work for another 2 hours. I might be cutting out early to go see Kick Ass, or I might go see that tomorrow.

Well I've played through a couple levels now and while the 30FPS isn't optimal, my system ran it just fine and I didn't notice any problem with gameplay. I was sitting at a constant 29-30FPS with my system 1920x1080 with High Detail on.

[quote name='jp0213']Well I've played through a couple levels now and while the 30FPS isn't optimal, my system ran it just fine and I didn't notice any problem with gameplay. I was sitting at a constant 29-30FPS with my system 1920x1080 with High Detail on.[/QUOTE]

Those numbers are absolutely meaningless when you don't post the specs of the system you're running it on.

AMD Phenom II X2 545
8GB Ram
EVGA GTX 275
I can go in more detail if you would like. No overclocking anywhere on the system, yet.

Thanks, that's good enough. I've got an i5 750 with a GTX 260 and I was wondering how mine would hold up. I find it hard to believe a GTX 260 runs the game terribly(per earlier posts) but I suppose it's possible if this is one of the worst ports of all time.

Now, my brother has a GTX 260 in his and he bought the game and he just had to turn off high detail. At 1600x900 he is running at I thought the game still looked good with high detail off. His processor I'm pretty sure is below the listed requirements, he has an AMD X2 5000. It's actually my old PC.

[quote name='jp0213']AMD Phenom II X2 545
8GB Ram
EVGA GTX 275
I can go in more detail if you would like. No overclocking anywhere on the system, yet.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. :) I decided to go for it. :)

[quote name='EliotAndrews']Always nice to see people with identical setups. Good choice in hardware, Mr. Falcon.

To everyone else, simply say no to 30 FPS.[/QUOTE]
that was my gf's system i gave her. she ended up buying the game (Retail) so.

i decided to take it a spin on my system and still dipped below 30fps

if your going to play stick to the ps3 and 360 versions

I played the hell out of this when it came out on 360. The engines it uses are pretty effin impressive(Euphoria, DMM, and I think Havok). It COULD have been a little more polished but it didn't stop me from playing through it straight on Sith Lord difficulty...

With that said, I've heard nothing but bad things about the PC port. The absolutely ridiculous 25GB required space is just scratching the surface - everything from bugs, lack of options, obscene requirements, etc. If you've got a PS3 or 360, you are much better off buying that version instead for roughly the same price. The guys who ported it over just were not able to optimize the game for PC systems since, I think, the architecture essentially was built from the ground up for consoles.

I've played through the first area. I have work to do this weekend, so I don't have much more time to put into it. It ran flawlessly on my system:

4GB RAM
Q6600 @ 2.4GHz
Windows 7 64-bit
GeForce 250 GTS 1GB

I have played the game on both 360, PS3 & now PC and have enjoyed it on all of the systems. The issue may be memory related. I'm totally guessing here, but if you're running on Windows XP with 2GB of RAM or less, you may have more issues than those on systems that don't have the 2.5-3.5GB RAM barrier and a decent video card.

Best to all. If your system is running 4GB of RAM on Windows 7 with a decent video card, I'd recommend going for it. I'm glad I did. Thanks to all. :)

Bought it and I have no issues with it.

I'm running an i7 920, 6 GB Triple channel RAM and a GTX 260...looks very nice, it's not Crysis but it is very pretty for the price and all the smearing it gets. The mentioned 30 FPS is something I can tell exists if I think about it, otherwise, it appears smooth, no problems. I'm used to judging FPS too, after getting a media/arts bachelors degree, so I have insight. It doesn't detract. I went through 20 minutes of the game, whipping rocks and Wookies around...ran fine IMO.

I also have the standard edition for PS3...

One thing I'll probably do is use the 360 wired controller I have, the K/M setup I did was awkward and a bit unwieldy.

Well, I bit. I probably won't get around to playing it for a long time, but I'd rather get it at this price now than hope it goes lower in the future or hope it goes this low at all ever again. Even if I don't have the hardware for it (I think I do), it'll be great for after Clone Wars ends. Then I can watch Episode 3, play Force Unleashed, watch Episode 4, and so on and so forth.

I just finished downloading it and played a little bit. The game runs well enough on my system. Here are the specs.

Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate
Core i5 750 quad core 2.66GHz
8GB DDR3 RAM
Radeon HD 4890 with 1GB RAM

I'll have to see what, if any, controller support the game has. I only saw the 360 controller as an option, but maybe more will show up if I have my controller plugged in. It's upsetting that games are moving away from DirectInput and towards Xinput these days. Just another way that Micro$oft is trying to turn Windows into a closed platform.

Last edited by a moderator:
These are the controllers that support was added for with the 1.1 patch:

* Xbox 360 Controller for Windows
* Xbox 360 Wired Controller
* Logitech Rumblepad 2
* Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2
* Logitech Dual Action Controller
* Saitek Cyborg Rumble
* Saitek P32 Rumble

How about other controllers? Like the original XBOX controller hacked to work via standard USB using the XBCD drivers?

The controller support before 1.1 patch was limited. I don't see anything listed about anyone using an original Xbox controller.

bread's done
Back