Steam Weekend Deal: All id Games 50%

Kurina

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
http://www.steampowered.com/v/index.php?area=sub&SubId=440

Quite a few games listed. You can buy every game listed for $34.99, or others incredibly cheap. Doom 3 only $10, and a few other older classics that people may enjoy.

This weekend only, id Software games are 50% off. This includes the id Super Pack for only $34.99 (over $200 worth of games). Or take 50% off individual titles such as Doom, Quake, Wolfenstein, Commander Keen, Heretic, and Hexen. Offer ends Monday, September 8.
---
Everything: $34.99

Individual Games
Commander Keen - $2.49
Doom 3 $9.99
Doom 3 Resurrection of Evil - $9.99
Doom II - $4.99
Final Doom - $4.99
HeXen - $2.49
HeXen II - $2.49
HeXen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel - $2.49
heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders - $2.49
Master Levels for Doom II - $4.99
Quake - $4.99
Quake II - $4.99
Quake II Mission Pack: Ground Zero - $2.49
Quake II Mission Pack: The Reckoning - $2.49
Quake III: Team Arena - $9.99
Quake Mission Pack 1: Scourge of Armagon - $2.49
Quake Mission Pack 2: Dissolution of Eternity - $2.49
Quake III Arena - $9.99
Return to Castle Wolfenstein - $9.99
Spear of Destiny - $2.49
Ultimate Doom - $4.99
Wolfenstein 3D - $2.49

Last edited by a moderator:
damn. That's a lot of bang for the buck. But I honestly could not see myself going back and playing all of those after playing more modern FPSs.

indeed, great deal. But if i purchased it i doubt i'd actually play anything. Hope they do this with the Eidos everything pack at some point because that has games i really would play.

I've been meaning to purchase this big pack one of these days
At 50% off, I think I'm gonna bite
Bunch of games for an awesome price

man that is an AMAZING deal. nostalgia FTW. i'll probably just bite on the doom pack for $20. but for $15 more i can get EVERYTHING else...hmm....

well I have most of them, but there are a few I don't have, AND there are a few exp that are not included also.

very tempting to get these games without worring about compatibility.

Earlier today I was tied between the wolfenstein pack and the max payne pack before the ID software sale and ended up getting max payne. Needless to say I ended up getting both moments later.

I've been thinking about buying the Id and Unreal packs. Glad I didn't get either. I just bought the Id pack. Now to wait for a sale on Unreal. :)

Bought Commander Keen. Would have bought some of the exp packs, but they wanted me to buy the steam-version of the original game first, and I already own all of them on disk. (Literally, all of them.) Anyway, off to play Commander Keen.

This might not be cool to ask, if so please delete this post.

I have a certain modified video gaming system and there are certain programs to run Heretic and Hexen on it. In order to play Heretic and Hexen however, you need certain retail game WAD files which I don't have since I don't own the games.

So, what I'm wondering, is whether the steam version of Hexen and Heretic include the retail WAD files? Anybody know?

Wow, this a fuckin' joke. I like how it asked me for CD-keys when I started DOOM 3, which were incorrect, naturally. Then I can't even start the fuckin' game because Steam's servers are "too busy." What, so I can't play anything since your bandwidth is shit?

Jesus, this is the third weekend deal in a row that I felt like I "had" to buy.

Those bastards at Value sure do love taking all of my money :)

[quote name='Megalith']Wow, this a fuckin' joke. I like how it asked me for CD-keys when I started DOOM 3, which were incorrect, naturally. Then I can't even start the fuckin' game because Steam's servers are "too busy." What, so I can't play anything since your bandwidth is shit?[/QUOTE]

They put about 4-6GBs of games up for sale for $35

Their servers have to be getting hammered right now. Give it some time.

[quote name='dchrisd']This might not be cool to ask, if so please delete this post.

I have a certain modified video gaming system and there are certain programs to run Heretic and Hexen on it. In order to play Heretic and Hexen however, you need certain retail game WAD files which I don't have since I don't own the games.

So, what I'm wondering, is whether the steam version of Hexen and Heretic include the retail WAD files? Anybody know?[/quote]

They do. They're the original code, running in Dosbox. So now you can feel good legally acquiring them!

I love Quake1 and I am sad that they went away from the who Gothic theme for the futuristic robot stuff. I must have played through each level a dozen times in my day. Too bad GLQUAKE isn't included. I would be shocked if it was.

[quote name='Vegan']They do. They're the original code, running in Dosbox. So now you can feel good legally acquiring them![/QUOTE]

Thanks a lot for the info. Downloaded the games, and yep, the files I need are there.

Also, running Steam isn't as bad as I heard. I've heard complaints about the service, but it doesn't seem too bad. Download times were quick, and the games run smoothly. Steam's not as intrusive as I thought it would be.

[quote name='dchrisd']Also, running Steam isn't as bad as I heard. I've heard complaints about the service, but it doesn't seem too bad. Download times were quick, and the games run smoothly. Steam's not as intrusive as I thought it would be.[/QUOTE]

It's actually a pretty amazing service.

You can redownload your games whenever you need to with no limits, add non-steam games to the list and they accept Paypal.

[quote name='Burchamj']do heretic and hexen play on Win XP or Vista?[/QUOTE]

I haven't bought this yet but I do have Commander Keen.

It uses DosBox and works on my Vista x64 setup so I imagine that Heretic and Hexen are the same.

Do games like RtCW work? I tried to play RtCW:ET back when I first got this computer, always glitched while trying to download custom files and extremely laggy. This is Vista with an 8800MGTS.

What the deals with actvation (CD keys with the newer games)
do you just pay n play like penny arcade or what
and do i need Dos Box ?

[quote name='marcand']I love Quake1 and I am sad that they went away from the who Gothic theme for the futuristic robot stuff. I must have played through each level a dozen times in my day. Too bad GLQUAKE isn't included. I would be shocked if it was.[/quote]
When I opened quake it gave me the option to run glquake and quakeworld.

[quote name='Burchamj']do heretic and hexen play on Win XP or Vista?[/QUOTE]

I downloaded the pack with Heretic and Hexen. I'm running XP and although I've only played for a little while, both seem to play perfectly.

[quote name='Gspoon'] SNIP ... and do i need Dos Box ?[/QUOTE]

DosBox came with my downloads, I did not need to download it separately. Also, no need to adjust DosBox settings -- Just select launch game, and the game runs.

[quote name='fieldkillah']When I opened quake it gave me the option to run glquake and quakeworld.[/QUOTE]

Same here

quakeuy4.jpg

DOOM 3 has not aged well...

It seems to run terribly at resolutions higher than 1280 for me, which can't be right, because I can run Crysis at better-than-average settings. The HUD and fonts just look downright nasty at 1920.

[quote name='SevereTireDamage']No Heretic II, eh? Pish-posh. Not bad, though.[/QUOTE]

Well, id had nothing to do with Heretic II, so, yeah.

Anyways, I have no need for Dooms and Quakes (already own all the ones I like), but I'm so getting Commander Keen.

[quote name='dchrisd']Also, running Steam isn't as bad as I heard. I've heard complaints about the service, but it doesn't seem too bad. Download times were quick, and the games run smoothly. Steam's not as intrusive as I thought it would be.[/QUOTE]
Anything bad you've heard about Steam was probably said in, like, 2005.

[quote name='Megalith']Wow, this a fuckin' joke. I like how it asked me for CD-keys when I started DOOM 3, which were incorrect, naturally. [/QUOTE]

I figured out what your problem was.

You need to start Resurrection Of Evil first before playing Doom 3.

[quote name='spencermsh']Earlier today I was tied between the wolfenstein pack and the max payne pack before the ID software sale and ended up getting max payne. Needless to say I ended up getting both moments later.[/QUOTE]

Well, that bring up an important point about Steam: Seeing as how the weekend sales seem to be a permanent fixture now, I would recommend NEVER buying any older games on Steam, unless it's the weekend. I'd hate to buy an oldie on Thursday, and then see it half-off on Saturday.

When steam first started up, it was probably one of the worst services ever.

I remember when I couldn't play my original half life because I had forgotten all my steam account info, and that email account used to register it was no-more, and I couldn't register my game to another account. That was the biggest thing that turned me off from it long ago. I don't know how it is on issues like those now, but I've used it for several purchases and it's turned into a great service, fast download times, never have problems with the games themselves, prices are good.

Definitley in for the ID pack even though i own some of those, this just makes it convienient. AND ITS ONLY $35 FRICKEN DOLLARS.

[quote name='fieldkillah']When I opened quake it gave me the option to run glquake and quakeworld.[/quote]

Holy hell! Boy, I am glad to be wrong!

Going to steam right now...

How does Steam work with multiple PC's? Some of these I would play on my laptop, some on my desktop, and frankly there are a few I would play on both. Can you do this with Steam?

[quote name='cwalker3']How does Steam work with multiple PC's? Some of these I would play on my laptop, some on my desktop, and frankly there are a few I would play on both. Can you do this with Steam?[/quote]

Yes, you can download them to all of your computers.Just download the steam client and log in.

I was mainly interested in Doom 3 + Doom RoE, which cost me $14.99 on the sale. Great deal even if I was being picky :) Thanks for posting this!

I'm most of the way through Doom 3, but haven't gotten around to finishing it. If I buy the Steam version, will I be able to transfer over my saved games from my (retail CD-based) version?

These 2D/3D graphics in Hexen and Heretic are a blast.

BTW, is anyone even able to get custom resolutions working for GLQuake?

bread's done
Back