Steam Weekend Deal - COD4 GOTY 40% off ($23.99)

This game should NOT cost anything more than $20 nowadays. I mean c'mon, it's been out since 2007! That's ridiculous that it still retails for around $40 on PC!

That being said, I MAY bite on this. I don't want to, but this is still the only CoD I haven't played and I always heard it was awesome. I don't know what to do. :cry:

Why is this not 10 dollars already?

fuck you Activision, and fuck YOU Bobby Kotick.

I hope your fucking company crashes and burns hard.

Yeah this is not really a "Activision screwing you over" thing and more of a "capitalism" thing. The game is seriously worth at least $30-40, even two years later; and if I didn't have already, I'd buy it at that price.

Ya, if this game still moves a lot of copies, there is no reason to reduce the price. Look at Blizzard. The Diablo and Warcraft III paks still sell for $40. And I can see even more sales for COD4, since Activision is putting the screws to pc gamers with what is going on with COD: MW2.

this is actually the best deal they've ever had on COD4

I bought COD5 on Steam for $25 (50%) off and I've been waiting for COD4 to drop to less than that, sure it's only $1 less but it's one of the best games out there and it has dedicated servers so it's not going to end anytime soon

[quote name='TomJones4']Damn I thought I was on CAG, not the COD4 forums.[/QUOTE]

I thought I was on CAG too not the irrational hatred boards, this is a good deal and personally I won't buy MW2 until I can get it at 50% off or more

I agree. This doesn't seem like a good deal. It's a great game, but almost everyone has already played it. Those who've been waiting for a price drop deserve a $10 price point on this one after two years!

[quote name='jezz.torrent']Yeah this is not really a "Activision screwing you over" thing and more of a "capitalism" thing. The game is seriously worth at least $30-40, even two years later; and if I didn't have already, I'd buy it at that price.[/QUOTE]

I would agree, but TF2 was $2.49 yesterday. Therefore that argument is null.

[quote name='JuliusC']$24 for a game that everyone will stop playing in about 2 weeks? Pass.[/QUOTE]

Now this is probably true for the console version. But there is a lot of anger right now at Activision with the pc version of COD: MW2. I think there will still be plenty of multi-player action on pc servers for a while yet.

[quote name='buckythekat']this is actually the best deal they've ever had on COD4

I bought COD5 on Steam for $25 (50%) off and I've been waiting for COD4 to drop to less than that, sure it's only $1 less but it's one of the best games out there and it has dedicated servers so it's not going to end anytime soon[/QUOTE]COD5 had poor sales, I assume because it's WW2 and everyone has seen it so many many many times before. This is why even after 2 50% off deals for COD5, COD4 was still played more which (prior to today) you could verify at: http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

Today it will say COD4 has more players but now you don't know if it's due to the sale or not, so I guess you'll just have to take my word for it.

Keep in mind, Counter Strike: Source still sells for $20, Counter Strike sells for $10 both of which are hella-old and are consistently at the top of the stats chart by a sizable margin. You could easily argue those should be cheaper as well. Age alone does not determine the price of a game, demand does, and unless copies of the game start stalling in sales they have no reason to lower the price.

[quote name='Anhmeister']I would agree, but TF2 was $2.49 yesterday. Therefore that argument is null.[/QUOTE]

There are many marketing strategies out there. One is not necessarily better than the other.

[quote name='Anhmeister']I would agree, but TF2 was $2.49 yesterday. Therefore that argument is null.[/QUOTE]

TF2 was that price for only 2 hours :lol: if anything that's comparable to a black friday sale but hell I doubt we'll see anything approaching even that kind of deal from Steam anytime soon (including the holidays)

[quote name='Vegan']Well, if it still sells well at a higher price, no reason to drop it.[/QUOTE]
If it sells well at a higher price then surely it should be a good game.

[quote name='buckythekat']TF2 was that price for only 2 hours :lol: if anything that's comparable to a black friday sale but hell I doubt we'll see anything approaching even that kind of deal from Steam anytime soon (including the holidays)[/QUOTE]

I think you're wrong. Steam sold a crapload of copies of TF2 yesterday even in that two hour window, to the point where it was hard to get the order through (I've never had that problem on Steam before). Between that and World of Goo, I think they're beginning to realize that cheap sells old games, and very well at that. It wouldn't surprise me if we see another sale like that one.

Even so, TF2's regular price is $20, for a game that is still getting new content and has a larger player base on the PC. That's a fair price. There isn't much I can think of that justifies COD4's $40 price point this long after release.

[quote name='buckythekat']TF2 was that price for only 2 hours :lol: if anything that's comparable to a black friday sale but hell I doubt we'll see anything approaching even that kind of deal from Steam anytime soon (including the holidays)[/QUOTE]

Indeed, it was only 2 hours. But that was just one example, the Orange Box has been on sale many times for as low as $5. That one in particular lasted one week if I remember correctly.

[quote name='bassec']Not the GOTY edition.[/QUOTE]
Isn't the only difference that the GOTY was released already-patched & with the map packs (free for the PC version)?

[quote name='cheapo72']Isn't the only difference that the GOTY was released already-patched & with the map packs (free for the PC version)?[/QUOTE]

You're right, GOTY is basically the same. The regular ed can download all maps with the patches.

What's the PC mod and mapping community like?

I was positive I was going to buy it, but after playing more than enough hours on the PS3 version, I wonder if there's anything new.

bread's done
Back