cheapo72

CAGiversary!
Feedback
180 (100%)

Contains:
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction Deluxe Edition [includes Infiltration mode, Shadow Armor, and 3 weapons]
deluxe_content.jpg
(Sorry, no Pandora Tomorrow)

Package Total: $45.99

Metacritic:
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell (91)
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (92)
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent (80)
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction (84)

Demos:
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn you cheapo, was just working on the post and editing up. :D Good up and good deal. I'm definitely partaking.

Here is the split out info:

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Elite Echelon Edition

header.jpg

Items included:

capsule_sm_120.jpg

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory® - $9.99

capsule_sm_120.jpg

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction™ Deluxe Edition - $64.99
The Deluxe Edition includes Infiltration Mode, Shadow Armor and 3 bonus weapons.

capsule_sm_120.jpg

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Double Agent® - $9.99

capsule_sm_120.jpg

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell® - $9.99

Individual Price: $94.96
Package Price: $75.99
Weekend Discount
: $45.99

LINK - http://store.steampowered.com/sub/4158

I really don't get why Steam has all the Splinter Cell games except for Pandora tomorrow. Coincidentally, (or maybe not . . .) Pandora tomorrow is not available on XBOX Live Originals whereas the first Splinter Cell and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory are.

Damn. I'm so tempted to jump on this since I've yet to play Double Agent (even though the bugs are supposed to be horrific). I'll be online anyway if I bought this through Steam but then I feel I'm lending support to that disgusting DRM.

Without having played any Splinter Cell game except a demo or two, does the story in Conviction continue from the previous games or is it separate?

[quote name='123pop']Without having played any Splinter Cell game except a demo or two, does the story in Conviction continue from the previous games or is it separate?[/QUOTE]

It continues after Double Agent, it's not required to play the first three

wow 2 midweek deal
and
2 weekend deals...great bundle and picking it up
but
wallet is taking a beating

From what I've read, Pandora Tomorrow needs some code clean-up, which might be more trouble than it's worth in the world of Digital Distribution. The old DRM, some lighting issues, and a low max resolution seem to be keeping the game from a digital release.

I'd need someone with a physical version of the game to confirm all/any of this, though.

This is a great deal for those that have none of the games. Unfortunately, I already have SC1 and Chaos Theory from the Holiday Sale. So the only one I really need and want is SC: Conviction. I'll just wait until that game has a deal on it's own.

But if you don't have any of these games...jump on it. One of the best franchises in gaming!

I bought it, because that's too good of a deal to pass up, DRM or not. Shame about the lack of Pandora Tomorrow, but that's okay, since I wasn't a big fan of it when I played it back on the original X-Box.

I own the original for xbox, think it is any better on the pc? Only played like an hour of it though. I want conviction, but can't figue out if I want it on pc or 360 hmmmm

Pandora Tomorrow is buggy as hell on the PC. Played it a few months ago for the first time and had to put it on XP because Securom didn't like Windows 7. It's still better than Double Agent though. DA still has a bug for me where the settings don't save and I have change them every time i start the game.

This would be an excellent deal if not for the DRM. I will not buy this until they disable it.

fuck you, Ubisoft and fuck you, Valve for tacitly endorsing their bullshit.

nice i love steam. DRM is no big deal to me as long as it doesn't cause the game to crash. on an unrelated note EA please fix Bad company 2 crashes on the PC.

Complaining about Conviction's DRM is a bit redundant since you have to be online and connected to Steam to play it anyway.. complaining about that is like complaining about Steam in general..

[quote name='Scorch']Complaining about Conviction's DRM is a bit redundant since you have to be online and connected to Steam to play it anyway.. complaining about that is like complaining about Steam in general..[/QUOTE]

The problem with your logic is that while Steam does require an individual to be on the internet to D/L the game and validate it...once it is, that individual is free to play the Single Player portion via Steam Offline Mode. SC: Conviction on Steam, coupled with the UbiSoft proprietary DRM, now requires that same individual to REMAIN connected to the internet to play the same Single Player Mode.

It IS a needless form of DRM that only punishes the consumer base. Blizzard acknowledges this themselves, why can't others?

This and Assassin's Creed 2 are pretty much the only Steam games you can't play in offline mode; it was actually really annoying for Assassin's Creed 2 during launch, but has been just 'alright' in the following weeks, so I feel like it may be the same experience for this game.

Definitely reconsider getting this if you don't have the strongest wireless signal or have any sort of packet loss.

[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']It IS a needless form of DRM that only punishes the consumer base. Blizzard acknowledges this themselves, why can't others?[/QUOTE]
Not to mention that Ubisoft's new DRM is not seamless. That might not be so much of a problem if it wasn't affecting single player.

[quote name='Scorch']...Steam has an offline mode?

Well. That changes everything.[/QUOTE]
:rofl:

[quote name='Vekou']This would be an excellent deal if not for the DRM. I will not buy this until they disable it.

fuck you, Ubisoft and fuck you, Valve for tacitly endorsing their bullshit.[/QUOTE]

Explain to me how Valve is endorsing this DRM. If a store puts a certain brand of mp3 player on sale, does that mean they are endorsing that mp3 player as the best of all? Ummm...no. It means it is on sale. You're one of those people that likes to complain just to complain about something.

I know this may seem silly to some, but I really hate this DRM, and I've resolved to not buy it...ever. (or any ubisoft PC game with it) I know, "boycotts" are usually just silly idealism, but I really think this DRM just goes too far. I don't have a problem with vanilla activation server/key DRM, but this whole be online at all times, or you get bumped, even in single player, seems like a terrible inconvenience that I am forced into.

Ubisoft. fuck YOU.

The Splinter Cell pack for some odd reason is not on the top seller list. That's a bit odd.

EDIT: It's not listed under "Specials" either.

[quote name='123pop']The Splinter Cell pack for some odd reason is not on the top seller list. That's a bit odd.[/QUOTE]

I was noticing this as well...

I'm not surprised. Pretty decent backlash against the Ubi DRM scheme and I'd say it's turned a lot of people off on the game.

[quote name='shingletingle']Explain to me how Valve is endorsing this DRM. If a store puts a certain brand of mp3 player on sale, does that mean they are endorsing that mp3 player as the best of all? Ummm...no. It means it is on sale. You're one of those people that likes to complain just to complain about something.[/QUOTE]
I am quite amused that you are making sweeping generalizations about my personality based on one post. Hope people don't do the same to you.

A more appropriate analogy would be something like this:

A grocery store, in a ridiculous and misguided attempt to reduce theft, sells you food from a certain manufacturer packaged in high-tech containers that automatically open once you arrive home (but cannot be opened until then). You provide your house address to them when you buy the food.

Unfortunately, you live in an RV, so the container may or may not unlock itself, or may even constantly open and close at random, depending on if your RV is recognized by these containers. In other words, whether you can enjoy the food you bought is completely beyond your control until you find a new place to live that is more compatible with their system.

[quote name='Vekou']I am quite amused that you are making sweeping generalizations about my personality based on one post. Hope people don't do the same to you.

A grocery store, in a ridiculous and misguided attempt to reduce theft, sells you food from a certain manufacturer packaged in high-tech containers that automatically open once you arrive home (but cannot be opened until then). You provide your house address to them when you buy the food.

Unfortunately, you live in an RV, so the container may or may not unlock itself, or may even constantly open and close at random, depending on if your RV is recognized by these containers. In other words, whether you can enjoy the food you bought is completely beyond your control until you find a new place to live that is more compatible with their system.[/QUOTE]
This is a more appropriate analogy...? :whistle2:s

[quote name='shingletingle']Explain to me how Valve is endorsing this DRM. If a store puts a certain brand of mp3 player on sale, does that mean they are endorsing that mp3 player as the best of all? Ummm...no. It means it is on sale. You're one of those people that likes to complain just to complain about something.[/QUOTE]

Worst analogy of the year goes to...

You know, I really think that this DRM is going to blow up in Ubi's face. I mean, I rarely ever have a problem with DRM, but the fact that my internet connection is less than stable is literally the reason I won't be buying the Elite Echelon pack.

It's just too bad, 'cause Conviction is a great game.

[quote name='Vekou']I am quite amused that you are making sweeping generalizations about my personality based on one post. Hope people don't do the same to you.

Unfortunately, you live in an RV, so the container may or may not unlock itself, or may even constantly open and close at random, depending on if your RV is recognized by these containers. In other words, whether you can enjoy the food you bought is completely beyond your control until you find a new place to live that is more compatible with their system.[/QUOTE]
Wow.

I am quoting this for posterity.

Um... that's not a very good analogy at all. And besides you completely misunderstood why he was criticizing you, he's criticizing you for claiming that because steam sells the product they are endorsing it. He's not saying that the DRM isn't stupid/annoying.

I'll pick up a retail copy instead when it goes on sale since I can apply the DRM crack to a retail version and still play the online with the crack applied.

[quote name='Liveforlaughs76']Um... that's not a very good analogy at all. And besides you completely misunderstood why he was criticizing you, he's criticizing you for claiming that because steam sells the product they are endorsing it. He's not saying that the DRM isn't stupid/annoying.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Nobody is going to accuse Vekou of being a rocket scientist.

bread's done
Back