Stem Cell breakthrough is reported by scientists!

jonny98

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
WASHINGTON — Harvard scientists say they have fused an adult skin cell with an embryonic stem cell, a development that could lead to the creation of useful stem cells without involving human embryos.

Preliminary results of the groundbreaking research were disclosed Sunday evening on the Science magazine website.

The Harvard researchers said they were able to show that the fused cell "was reprogrammed to its embryonic state."

"If future experiments indicate that this reprogrammed state is retained after removing the embryonic stem cell DNA — currently a formidable technical hurdle — the hybrid cells could theoretically be used to produce embryonic stem cell lines that are tailored to individual patients without the need to create and destroy human embryos," said a summary of the research reported on the Science site.

That could lead to creation of stem cells without having to use human eggs or make new human embryos in the process, thereby sidestepping much of the controversy over stem cell research.

The Harvard researchers used laboratory-grown human embryonic stem cells — such as the ones that President Bush has already approved for use by federally funded researchers — to essentially convert a skin cell into an embryonic stem cell.

If hurdles can be overcome, the technique "may circumvent some of the logistical and societal concerns" that have held up much of the research in this country, Chad A. Cowan, Kevin Eggan and colleagues from the Harvard Stem Cell Institute report in the Science article.
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationw...ug22,1,2764355.story?coll=la-headlines-nation

But how can us liberals make sure that white babies are aborted now? :roll:

Seriously, this is good news. Is it enough, and is it accurate?

Even in the face of technological advances, I'm sure someone will find the time to blame Chris Reeve's death on Bush for witholding funding and not allowing this advance to happen fast enough.

[quote name='bmulligan']Even in the face of technological advances, I'm sure someone will find the time to blame Chris Reeve's death on Bush for witholding funding and not allowing this advance to happen fast enough.[/QUOTE]

Or perhaps just blame him for fucking us over so some piece of shit zealots can feel better about themselves?

Yeah, back to the zealots that don't want vats of would be humans bred for spare parts for people that drink too much, do too many drugs, get diseases from unprotected sex.... Even Hollywood saw the danger of uncontrolled human harvesting, genetic and DNA work with The 6th Day. You'd think even one person here could see the dangers of it.

Any chance to bash Christian moralists? The vs board can't pass it up.

Hmm. What's worse, the possible reality of your accusations of leftist knee-jerk reactionism, or the three of you clamoring towards a defensive stance while the other posts in this thread (albeit few) are not attacking anything?

I wish I had time this morning to stand back, light up a monte cristo robusto, and reread the logic of this thread again and again.

"Stem cell breakthrough"
"Oh, cool!"
"Hey everybody, zombies!"
"I bet they'll blame Bush for not supporting this!"
"They always blame Bush!"
"Don't forget christians!"

Mmm...satisfying. Shame I don't have that cigar, or much time, really.

The Narrator's apprentice sat motionless in disturbed comfort at this blatant thievery of synopsis of another banal CAG topic.

"He beat me to it," he spoke into the air. "And now he will pay..."

But before his fingers could attack the keys in glorious globby blog of spitspeak, he froze yet again, unable to cross some invisible barrier. Paralisys was not uncommon for the apprentice; it's happened many times before, usually immediately before a generous offering of well deserved smackdown by trivialization, like pressure building up in a constricted firehose eclipsing a powerful flame. This time was slightly different. The bluntness of the Vermin was like an unmasking, not unlike the narrator has done to many an unsuspecting victim, yet this one was of purer origin.

"Perhaps he is THE ONE," he pondered to himself, not wanting the actual words to flow from his own lips. "The one who would bring balance to.....,"

"NO!" he stammered, his voice echoed throughout the vacuum, and from the reflection, he now knew the space was now occupied by a relative spirit. The competition had been nonexistent and unchallenging and now there was a new entry into the fold. Perhaps he could help the fledgling in is rise to power. "No," he thought, "the master would never allow me this indiscretion."

There could, obviously, be only two: a master and an apprentice. No more, no less. He would surely meet demise were he to disturb the ancient order. Nonetheless, he reached for the keypad once again and began typing:

[quote name='mykevermin']Hmm. What's worse, the possible reality of your accusations of leftist knee-jerk reactionism, or the three of you clamoring towards a defensive stance while the other posts in this thread (albeit few) are not attacking anything?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='mykevermin']But how can us liberals make sure that white babies are aborted now?
icon_rolleyes.gif
[/quote]

That seems like an attack to me.

[quote name='fanskad']That seems like an attack to me.[/QUOTE]
No...that seems like sarcasm. He even used one of the freaking smilies to try to convey emotion, for crying out loud.

[quote name='usickenme']it's not. You're reaching.[/QUOTE]

At the very least, it was a marginalization of an opponents position. I recognize it as sarcasm. That's no different from characterizing Democrats as "joint-rolling, cocaine-sniffing, baby-killing, tree-hugging, criminal-coddling, big-spending, jesus-murdering liberals!" And then I follow it with an eye roll to show that I'm not serious.

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with mykevermin's position. Stem-cell research opponents are knee-jerk reactionary religious types who would rather let good people die than use aborted tissue. Rather let it rot than allow it to do some good.

I just called him on the "there have been no attacks" statement.

[quote name='usickenme']yeah but unless I missing something..myke is one of the liberals he is attacking.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, what part of "Marginalizing his opponent's position" do you not understand?

[quote name='fanskad']At the very least, it was a marginalization of an opponents position. I recognize it as sarcasm. That's no different from characterizing Democrats as "joint-rolling, cocaine-sniffing, baby-killing, tree-hugging, criminal-coddling, big-spending, jesus-murdering liberals!" And then I follow it with an eye roll to show that I'm not serious.

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with mykevermin's position. Stem-cell research opponents are knee-jerk reactionary religious types who would rather let good people die than use aborted tissue. Rather let it rot than allow it to do some good.

I just called him on the "there have been no attacks" statement.[/QUOTE]

Say what you want of it; I didn't say anything directly about opponents of stem cell research, if we accept that abortion is not the only way of acquiring stem cells.

I simply pointed out three consecutive posts that scrambled to be defensive before any offense had been committed. You don't have to like it, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

[quote name='mykevermin']Say what you want of it; I didn't say anything directly about opponents of stem cell research, if we accept that abortion is not the only way of acquiring stem cells.[/quote]
But up until this research, it was the only reliable way of acquiring them. I still have my doubts that this research will help, since the article states that the skin cells have to be combined with an embryonic stem cell to transform.
[quote name='mykevermin']I simply pointed out three consecutive posts that scrambled to be defensive before any offense had been committed. You don't have to like it, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.[/QUOTE]
I understand that. They did certainly get defensive fast, but in defense of the trifecta, most of these VS threads do end up Christianity-bashing. It's usually the same people blasting PAD for his religious intolerance.

Irony in action.

[quote name='Quillion']in defense of the trifecta, most of these VS threads do end up Christianity-bashing. It's usually the same people blasting PAD for his religious intolerance.[/QUOTE]

There is a difference between bashing christianity as being less valid than other religions and bashing those who believe that christianity deserves to be the ideological foundation for our law, at the expense of other religions.

At any rate, I'd never make a foolish argument like suggesting the vs forums never turn into christianity hate-fests. The sky is blue, Nintendogs is sold out everywhere, and the vs forums do tend to go in that direction. On the other hand, as I mentioned, defense in the absence of offense looks silly.

[quote name='Quillion'], but in defense of the trifecta, most of these VS threads do end up Christianity-bashing. It's usually the same people blasting PAD for his religious intolerance.

Irony in action.[/QUOTE]

most!!??

Overplaying it a bit aren't we. When you start assuming everyone is going to bash you, the world sort of tips that way. (esp when the defense comes first)

Besides, now-a-days saying you believe in evolution is considering Christian Bashing

[quote name='Quillion']At the very least, it was a marginalization of an opponents position. I recognize it as sarcasm. That's no different from characterizing Democrats as "joint-rolling, cocaine-sniffing, baby-killing, tree-hugging, criminal-coddling, big-spending, jesus-murdering liberals!" And then I follow it with an eye roll to show that I'm not serious.[/QUOTE]

Just want to point out that cocaine-sniffing belongs to Republicans.

It's a big business staple that Bush Jr. has totally reclaimed. :lol:

[quote name='PittsburghAfterDark']Yeah, back to the zealots that don't want vats of would be humans bred for spare parts for people that drink too much, do too many drugs, get diseases from unprotected sex.... Even Hollywood saw the danger of uncontrolled human harvesting, genetic and DNA work with The 6th Day. You'd think even one person here could see the dangers of it.

Any chance to bash Christian moralists? The vs board can't pass it up.[/QUOTE]

And this is why zealots should be kept far away from scientific research. It's pretty sad when your whole defense comes from hollywood doomsday thrillers.

[quote name='PittsburghAfterDark']Even Hollywood saw the danger of uncontrolled human harvesting, genetic and DNA work with The 6th Day. You'd think even one person here could see the dangers of it.

[/QUOTE]

What do you think of global warming? Hollywood made a movie about that too.

[quote name='camoor']Just want to point out that cocaine-sniffing belongs to Republicans.

It's a big business staple that Bush Jr. has totally reclaimed. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Sigh. How many times are you baby-eating liberals going to bring this up? Bush obviously cleared this up in his initial primary campaign. He said "It's my own personal business" and "Maybe" and "I meet all the qualifications for government service" each of those should have been better than an outright denial.

But you American-killing liberals just can't let this one lie.

bread's done
Back