Stephen Kings stands up for videogames

carpwrist

CAGiversary!
Feedback
35 (100%)
http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20188502,00.html

i recommend reading the whole article but here's the caption Kotaku pointed out:
What really makes me insane is how eager politicians are to use the pop culture — not just videogames but TV, movies, even Harry Potter — as a whipping boy. It's easy for them, even sort of fun, because the pop-cult always hollers nice and loud. Also, it allows legislators to ignore the elephants in the living room. Elephant One is the ever-deepening divide between the haves and have-nots in this country, a situation guys like Fiddy and Snoop have been indirectly rapping about for years. Elephant Two is America's almost pathological love of guns. It was too easy for critics to claim — falsely, it turned out — that Cho Seung-Hui (the Virginia Tech killer) was a fan of Counter-Strike; I just wish to God that legislators were as eager to point out that this nutball had no problem obtaining a 9mm semiautomatic handgun. Cho used it in a rampage that resulted in the murder of 32 people. If he'd been stuck with nothing but a plastic videogame gun, he wouldn't even have been able to kill himself.

Case closed

Stephen King is going in my hall of heroes, right next to Speedy1961.

[quote name='sandrokstar']http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20188502,00.html

i recommend reading the whole article but here's the caption Kotaku pointed out:

Stephen King is going in my hall of heroes, right next to Speedy1961.[/quote]

Excellent article that makes solid, logical points. However, even though Stephen King is a respected writer and a big name, like anything else video game related, whenever someone makes a logical point to stick up for them people like Fox news just threw it under the bus.

First he gives Evil Dead the boost it needed to be a cult classic with VHS and underground cinema, now he does this. Goddamn, hard not to love that man.

Weird. I recently watched the Mist. And the night of watching it all this news came all over the blogs. And this is the first news I've ever seen of him. Coincidence?

I think it's a conspiracy.

Weird. I recently watched the Mist. And the night of watching it all this news came all over the blogs. And this is the first news I've ever seen of him. Coincidence?

I think it's a conspiracy.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Weird. I recently watched the Mist. And the night of watching it all this news came all over the blogs. And this is the first news I've ever seen of him. Coincidence?

I think it's a conspiracy.[/quote]Haha, me too. I was just watching the Mist an hour ago.

The dude makes logical points, but it's not going to matter to politicians.

Well, it's really only a matter of time until this starts happening. Just seems like Mr. King here is a bit ahead of the curve. Really, the average gamer age is hitting 30. Gamers are getting to the age of running for political office and having lobbying groups, etc. Also, the industry itself is getting larger and bigger companies are in it.

Remember, there was a time that 50's-60's rock was considered the reason for the world crumbling. After awhile, it's what is classic and good, and it's new stuff. Soon, video games may move to something good and we can blame Ipods or some new thing as the death of society as we know it.

[quote name='tokitoki50']He hasn't written anything that is even close to the awesomeness of "The Stand" lately though. Nice that he likes gamers.[/quote]
"Desperation" was so good I finished it in one sitting. I also very much enjoyed "Insomnia", though it isn't nearly as good as Desperation, The Stand, IT, or some of the other classics.

[quote name='geko29']"Desperation" was so good I finished it in one sitting. I also very much enjoyed "Insomnia", though it isn't nearly as good as Desperation, The Stand, IT, or some of the other classics.[/quote]

I don't think I fully appreciated how cool Insomnia was until I finished the entire Dark Tower series.

Dark Tower > all. :)

Good read, thanks OP.

Dark Tower is great. You rule Stephen!!! Even though he's not a gamer he certianly understands them.

an artist standing up for other artists; makes sense to me. i appreciate people like this quite a bit, that recognize they don't need to be a fan of something to feel like they need to stand up and defend it. side note: still working on finishing desperation. enjoying it so far.

bread's done
Back